Hotel and pool at dusk

Understated luxury

Reviewed 24th January 2013

"After choosing to holiday in the UK we were delighted with what we found at the Cove. What we saved on flights, hire car etc was well spent on the first class facilities here. They really have made the most of the idylic setting. Service from the staff was excellent and in-keeping with the friendly informality of the whole place. This was the perfect spot to holiday with our two young kids and hopefully we'll be able to treat ourselves to another stay in the near future."

• Travel date: 16th August 2008

Very cute but expensive for what it is

Reviewed 22nd January 2013

"We stayed here last week. Its a lovely place - nice and quiet and a good escape for couples or very young families. We stayed in apartment 3 which was cute and fine for a couple or if we had a small baby. I wouldn't recommend it for family with older kids. The decor is modern and there is a TV with DVD in the lounge and bedroom. There is no bath which is disappointing at £263 per night. There is a lovely pool and the restaurant quality is good if not a little expensive. I would recommend getting your food shop done on the way there as there are no amenities nearby - you would have to drive at elast 10 mins to penzance to even get a loaf of bread. 10 mins drive may not sound like a lot but the Cove is at the end of some very windy streets. Beware Satnav - ours took us down a very narrow street which our car barely fitted in. There are two turnings to Lamorna cove on the B3315 from Penzance - take the second one. The pool is always busy and probably too small for the number of apartments - we never got to use the sun loungers at all. We paid £263 per night which is probably expensive for what it is. The kitchen is very very small and despite being only 22 degrees maximum during our stay, the room was very hot with no aircon or fans. There is also no bath. The location is 10-15 mins drive from penzance and it is near several lovely beaches. It is a lovely hideaway. I would recommend it if you are relaxed about the money - otherwise search around and you could probably get better value for the money."

• Travel date: 29th July 2008

Beyond our expectations

Reviewed 21st January 2013

"We stayed one night at The Cove and were so entralled by the property. The welcome was warm,sincere and informative. The room very modern,clean and well furnished. The pool and views were amazing. The meals also were brilliant. The only dissapointment for us was we didnt stay longer. We will return again we enjoyed it so much."

• Travel date: 29th July 2008

perfect balance of self catering within an upscale hotel

Reviewed 8th December 2012

"If you're looking for a great location, great views, comfortable and stylish surroundings, with the flexibility to eat high quality restaurant food or self cater, the Cove is the place for you. After 20 years of self catering in cottages with our kids, we empty nesters were looking for 'posh self catering', and the Cove provided everything we needed and more. The apartments are nicely designed and stylishly decorated. If you do want to self cater, the kitchen is well kitted out, and a generous welcome pack of tea, coffee, milk, juice, bread, butter, preserves, etc is provided, along with hot patisserie every morning. If you choose to eat in the restaurant, the food is local and delicious, and the wine list short but interesting, and not overpriced. I love this place, and will definitely be back."

• Travel date: 22nd July 2008

Perfect weekend at the Cove

Reviewed 19th January 2013

"Yes, its expensive but its worth it! But we did have one of the best rooms there, with views over the pool and Lamorna Cove. We went with a group of friends for my partners birthday weekend. Room - very modern, with flat screen TV (not that we watched TV), very spacious and as I mentioned before, great views, so it did end up being the room that we all congregated in before we went out. The room was very well equipped for those that want to self cater. Fresh croissants were delivered very morning with juice which meant that we didn't have to venture out until we were showered etc. Staff - really helpful and friendly - they really helped with the organisation of the group of friends and activities to do such as surfing for the guys and horse riding and massages for the girls. They also recommended a good selection of restaurants. Restaurant - we all ate in the restaurant on the first night and it was delicious and reasonably priced. We would love to go back there!!"

• Travel date: 18th May 2008

Nice but pricey

Reviewed 1st December 2012

"An enjoyable two nights. The location is lovely and the design well thought out. Pool was pleasant even in coolish april weather and immaculately maintained. There was some unobtrusive construction whilst we were there and it looks like it’s expanding. If you are not self-catering then the restaurant is the only option for eating out without driving – it’s very good (we were the only customers the night we ate there) but by no means cheap. Staff were friendly and efficient, service was good. Generally I’d recommend the Cove but for them to charge top-end prices there needs to be a bit more attention to detail – our shower drain was clogged, cleaning was not great, some of the new furniture was already looking a bit shabby. Nice place but perhaps a little overpriced."

• Travel date: 4th May 2008

Poor service & heating facilities

Reviewed 8th December 2012

"Great location, views & building... Unfortunately staff were not as attentive as one expects & the heating/hot water arrangements are far from expected for a 'luxury hotel'. Basically the cylinders are shared between rooms and are not adequate, meaning that at peak times, there is no hot water. The system kept tripping off too. We also did not find the room service adequate- day to day cleaning was not done and we had to empty our own bins! The staff did not seem bothered by these problems and were unapologetic. Overall; disappointing."

• Travel date: 20th February 2008

Inspirational and luxurious Lamorna

Reviewed 28th October 2012

"Having recently been guests at Lamorna Cove Hotel I can whole heartedly recommend this sensational hotel to absolutely everybody who appreciates the better things in this world. Our suite was clearly individually designed and had the most stunning view out to sea and drifting off to sleep each night watching the lights of small fishing boats and the distant loom of lighthouse will remain in my mind for ever. It had such a luxurious bathroom with an excellent shower that my Wife has me refitting ours this weekend... so gentlemen be warned!!! Situated in a valley with a tumbling brook running to the sea in it's own idyllic cove it's an ideal place to retreat and clear the mind. There are beautiful contemporary artworks and props carefully placed around the hotel, as an artist myself I found this truly inspiring as are the colours used in the decor which reflect the moods of the sea. Guests who want a little gentle exercise with some breathtaking seaviews should walk the coastal path along the clifftops to the nearby picturesque fishing village of Mousehole where you may wish to take a little "light refreshment" before returning by another clearly marked route running through the quiet Cornish lanes. For those of you who think that a turquoise ocean is exclusive to the Caribbean or maybe the Mediterranean check this place out, even in Winter when we there! Staff were excellent, food was superb, location was remarkable - can't say enough about it! Lamorna Cove Hotel certainly ticked all my boxes and I'm looking forward to visiting again in the summer and sitting by the swimming pool with a drink as the sun slowly sets."

• Travel date: 16th February 2007

Loved The Cove

Reviewed 1st December 2012

"My second stay at Lamorna Cove. It's in a wonderful position, the bedroom overlooked the swimming pool and gardens with Lamorna Cove itself only a 5 minute walk away and clearly visible from most rooms. Superbly helpful staff, beautifully decorated apartments with gorgeous bed linen and a kitchen supplied with everything for a good breakfast. We enjoyed an great dinner on the Saturday evening, delicious fresh crab followed by perfecly cooked lamb accompanied by a host of vegetables. Having stayed at The Cove in brilliant September sunshine and again in an overcast January - I can recommend it as an excellent place to stay for either energetic coastal walks, stolls along the beach or just sitting by the pool relaxing."

• Travel date: 12th February 2007

The Cove Apartments

Reviewed 25th October 2012

"I recently stayed at 'The Cove', which is no longer a hotel, but Luxury self catering apartments. The room had beautiful views of the Valley and also down to the Sea, and the buliding itself is rather lovely. I found the staff to be very plesant and helpful, given that I stayed in the winter season I still enjoyed my stay and do look forward to returning during the summer months to enjoy some drinks by the pool side and a walk down to Lamorna Cove."

• Travel date: 2nd February 2007