Good

Great location but a few minor complaints

Reviewed Mon 28th of January 2013

"We stayed at the Greenbank for 1 night in August. There is a lot of car parking space at this hotel. We had a harbour view room with a little balcony which was lovely and the room was clean and tidy. Before dinner we went down to the bar and ordered cocktails which were really unremarkable and actually a bit disgusting which was a shame considering how nice the bar was. We had dinner there and it was nice but there are a few minor complaints, such as they didn't dim the lights when it got dark and the atmosphere was pretty dead. We were the youngest people there by a long way (in our late 20's) but as we drank a few bottles of wine we didn't really care or complain that although we both ordered chocolate souffle for dessert we got a chocolate tort...it was very nice though. If they had said they were out of souffle we wouldn't have minded but it's whenever people make assumptions that you won't know that it annoys me.

Breakfast was ok although it took ages for the staff to take our order. The staff overall were lovely and very accommodating.

I think if I was ever likely to stay in Falmouth again I would go back although I'd avoid the cocktails in the bar!"

• Travel date: Mon 8th of September 2008

Great Place to Stay

Reviewed Sun 27th of January 2013

"Booked the Greenbank Hotel for 3 Nights from the 26th August and found a great place to stay. Our accomodation was excellent being a Delux Room with splendid views overlooking Falmouth Bay. The staff were very polite and courtious at all times and provided excellent service. The breakfast was lovely as was our evening meal. For a base to explore Cornwall, I would highly recommend this Hotel."

• Travel date: Sat 6th of September 2008

Very relaxing, great location.

Reviewed Wed 23rd of January 2013

"We stayed at the Greenbank hotel in July. We had a lovely spacious harbour view room that was kept spotlessly clean. Air conditioning would have been nice because the weather was hot.The hotel is in a great location, about 10 minutes stroll to the town centre. The breakfast was good but we were disappointed with dinner and only ate at the hotel one evening. The staff are friendly and helpful and we would recommend this hotel to others."

• Travel date: Sat 26th of July 2008

Overpriced

Reviewed Fri 7th of December 2012

"I stayed here with my girlfriend for 5 nights early July. The Hotel itself is impressive, with plenty of parking and good views of the Harbour. We had booked an executive Harbour view room which for £170 always seemed a bit on the expensive side.
The room itself was well furnished & clean but not nothing particularly outstanding considering the rate. Where the Hotel really failed was on the food. Breakfast was a consistent disapointment, with the chef seemingly unable to master the basics. Dinner was hit & miss with some great dishes but at least one which had to be returned. Having stayed in numerous Hotels both in the UK and Overseas i cant see how they can justify the high cost; £100 a night would be closer to the mark considering the overall package.
Having read further back on reviews on this site it seems the prices have dramatically increased following a recent refurbishment; personally i think they've gone to high for whats delivered so i doubt a return."

• Travel date: Thu 24th of July 2008

Our wedding....

Reviewed Sat 17th of November 2012

"My husband and I fell in love with the Greenbank Hotel as soon as we walked into the foyer and saw a gorgeous spiral staircase and a window overlooking the harbour. In fact, the bar, restaurant, corridors, ceremony / reception room and bedrooms all had their own unique characteristics and with exceptions to some bedrooms and the corridor, they all have a magnificant view of the harbour.

The hotel is a great deal bigger then it seems once you start trying to locate your room! I loved the layout inside. I assume that, due to it's history, the old parts of the building are left as they should be and maintain that historic feel but they have modernised the parts that need it. The hotel is 5 minutes walking distance from Falmouth town centre. The walk into town is just beautiful with very peaceful surroundings. The view from the hotel is stunning. Especially when the Sun is shining. Nothing beats eating your breakfast whilst watching the yachts and naval ships go about their business.

Upon confirmation we had the place booked for our wedding and reception, the staff couldn't have been more helpful with our planning. Leading up to the wedding, our opinion of the staff and how attentive they were was excellent. But it didn't compare to the way they treated us on the big day. The Operations Manager, Paul, was very professional, considerate and patient. And his team followed suit. With so many potential problems on the morning of a wedding, he remained calm and it rubbed off on us. The Riverbank Suite was our setting for the wedding from start to finish. The staff managed to turn the room around three times with no issues or delays. They managed to display each table as I had planned down to every detail. The food was perfect. It wasn't until the following day we discovered they had catered for our 6 choices from the menu when, usually, wedding parties have 2 choices. Apparently, the chef was under a lot of pressure but it didn't show! All of my guests complimented the food and the service. Paul checked at appropriate intervals how the service was and if everything was OK.

After the ceremony, we were given a number of places our guests could settle and have a drink. If the Sun is out, there is a lovely sunsplashed quarterdeck (again overlooking the harbour) sheltered from the public on the hotel's grounds. They also have a new decking area attached to the bar. If the Sun was in, we had the (large) bar with comfortable seats and vast windows facing the view or a very classic room not far from the Riverbank Suite. Thankfully, the weather was gorgeous enabling the guests to use the new decking next to the bar. It overlooks the harbour and seemed to be a favourite amongst our guests. We had a further three choices alternative choice. Approximately 20-30 metres from the hotel next to the harbour there is a garden where the photos were taken. The hotel allowed our drinks to be taken there whilst everyone relaxed on the grass.

We opted for a budgeted wedding but we felt we got the wedding of our dreams at the price we could afford at the Greenbank.

The following day, our guests enjoyed a relaxing breakfast in the Sun. The food was lovely. The waiters were prompt and accommodating to individual needs. I asked my guests how they found the food and the service. They were all very impressed by their treatment and didn't want to leave. The staff were relaxed regarding the time we were supposed to leave the room. They helped us with our baggage, presents etc and allowed us and our guests to "loiter" around the hotel until ready to leave.

The complimentary bridal suite was beautiful. It is 10 metres from the ceremony room. Perfect really. The walk to the alter was just the right distance and we could nip back to our room whenever we felt like a quick break from all of the buzz.

My husband and I could not have been more impressed with our expereince at the Greenbank. Falmouth is a lovely place in itself with such a warm and friendly atmosphere. I hated leaving the hotel and intend on visiting them for our Anniversary next year. Or sooner!

I would highly reccommend this hotel. There is a fresh, relaxing, unique feel to the place. I believe it was value for money."

• Travel date: Tue 8th of July 2008

Loved the view but not dinner

Reviewed Sun 11th of November 2012

"We booked the Greenbank two weeks before our trip and were very pleased to be able to book a room over looking the water.On arrival the first thing you see is hanging baskets at the front of the hotel well past there best and this was only June, this was not a good start. We do hope they improve.
After booking in which was very good we had a long walk to our room through parts of the hotel that were looking a bit past there best.
On entering our room we were blown away with the view across the water. The hanging baskets and the long walk were very soon in the past.
The room was a good size as was the bathroom althrough we were not to keen on pulling down the roller blind every time you used the loo. But then who could see you there was only boats.
The room was very clean and to a very good standard as was the bathroom.
We had booked dinner in the hotel on our first night and the view was more than you could have wished for however the food was not. We did not eat at the hotel again.
Overall i would say this is a very good hotel and we did enjoy our stay very much. We would stay again."

• Travel date: Mon 7th of July 2008

Great view awful food

Reviewed Sat 17th of November 2012

"Lovely room with great harbor view. Stayed on a Friday evening. Our starters were OK but nothing special. The main course I had ordered Fish stew in Bloody Mary sauce. What arrived was a brown sludge at the bottom of the bowl with mussels and clams mixed on top. On top of this were a few grilled scallops and two pieces of white fish on top of that. The mussels were wrinkled and overcooked and everything was tasteless. My husband's lemon sole was also over cooked. I spoke to the restuarant manager who confirm my thoughts that the head chef was not on duty that night and I asked her to remove the dish from our bill. We ordered dessert, my husband's cheese board arrived but my [pancakes never did - "the chef never recieved my order" We changed hotels the following evening."

• Travel date: Sat 21st of June 2008

A lovely stay at the Greenbank Hotel

Reviewed Wed 31st of October 2012

"We have just come back from a lovely bank holiday break at the Greenbank. We did not have a harbour view room, but we really didn't need it or felt that we missed out, as you could sit in the bar area for a lovely view. Our Room was a lovely large size, comfy bed, nice seating area, great shower and bath facilities! We loved our stay, it was lovely and relaxing and a perfect location for getting out and about in Cornwall! We would stay again, as it had a nice un-chain like feel to it, with plenty of character. There were areas that could do with a little tlc but given the age of the building this is to be expected."

• Travel date: Wed 28th of May 2008

Friendly & Helpful staff

Reviewed Fri 7th of December 2012

"We had our wedding reception here in June 2003.

After looking at all of the main hotels capable of a holding a reception in Falmouth, Penzance & St.Ives areas the Greenbank stood out as the most professional before the event and on the big day itself.

It is a lovely location, the bedrooms are a fair size (best if on the water side of the hotel) and the dining is excellent (our relatives have been back many times since).

Cost, fair compared to comparable hotels in the area and elsewhere if you are by the sea.

Top tip. Do as we did get married in Cornwall, if not for Cornwall itself then as it may be half the cost of your local venue (many quality hotels competing with each other)."

• Travel date: Wed 14th of May 2008

So Many Complaints it Became Embarrassing

Reviewed Sun 11th of November 2012

"We booked a special offer break of stay two nights get one free. We chose to stay here as we were due to attend an inquest and wanted a stress-free few days away from home. I live locally to the hotel, but wanted to spend some time with my Mum who lives away. A few nights in a hotel looked just the ticket.

We had booked a twin room with a view of the river and where it started to go wrong was when we got into the lift and it wouldn't work! We had to use the emergency button to get out, and try again.

On entering the room the beds were pushd together with a big counterpane covering both beds making it appear that they were made up as a double bed. We had to seperate them ourselves.

The view was nice, however when we opened the window the fan from the kitchen was outside and within seconds the room overpoweringly smelt of deep fat frying and stale fat. It smelt sickening. The window had to be shut immediately.

The bathroom door handle wouldn't keep the door shut, it had to be locked to stay shut, and there was a puddle under the waste pipe in the bathroom, what it was we do not know.

We decided to eat in the restaurant, where I met my Mum after she had been seated. People who had gone to the dining room after she had arrived were sat before her even though we had booked. We decided to go for the roast beef, and were bitterly disappointed. Don't believe the hype of the Guardian newspaper because our experience was horrid. The beef bled in the middle and was tough as boots, the roast potatoes were just about warm and the yorkshire pudding was like cardboard. We sent the yorkshires back, and were sent two which resembled sponge! The best thing was the veg. There was a group of 6 eating at the same time, and the difference in the quality of service was huge, they were waited on hand and foot and we were kind of forgotten about.

When we went back to the room I tried to have a shower, the only problem being that the shower would not work independently of the bath, and within seconds the bath was half full and extrememly slow to drain. So, there was no chance of either a shower or a bath. By this point all I wanted to do was go home, as I live locally to this 'hotel'.

We asked to change room, and eventually this was sorted. They had again made twin beds look like a double which meant us having to split them for our own privacy. Every morning they pushed the beds back together!! The room was freezing, the shower went from warm to boiling to freezing, and one of the glass toothmugs had a huge crack down it.

After the inquest on our first full day at the 'hotel' we came back to find that BOTH of our electronic keys had failed. We chose to eat out that night. We just didn't want to stay in there any longer than we had to.

On returning to the room on the second day my suitcase had been moved and zipped up when it was not in the way of anyone or anything. This felt like an invasion of my privacy. We had been offered a complimentary meal to prove that our dining experience had been a one off, and took them up on it on our last night.

My Mum was lucky in what she chose, but my experience was not so good. I chose for starter a caesar salad with free range egg, but when it was served it was also dressed with fish. Unfortunately I cannot eat fish, and I was surprised that the menu did not state it contained fish. I had ordered a very well done sirloin steak for main course, and when it arrived and I cut into it, it bled. I sent it back, and it was replaced by something that looked like frying steak. Bitterly disappointing.

We took the time to fill in the hotel's comments form and added to it a letter of complaint, which three weeks later the hotel has not seen fit to reply to.

The best thing was leaving, I have never had to complain so much about a stay, and would not recommend it to anyone. The three night break which was booked to give my Mum and myself a stress-free break was a farce and I really wish that I'd just stayed at home.

I am Cornish, and whilst understanding how important the tourist industry is to the County, I would recommend travellers choose a different hotel!"

• Travel date: Sat 16th of February 2008