Standard Room

Good

Very Disappointing - Certainly not winning any awards now.

Reviewed 24th October 2012

"This is an average 3 star hotel. My objection is that they promote themselves as an award winning hotel, striving to be the best in the South West with a restaurant widely regarded as being the best in Bude. This is not the case. We stayed in a small family room devoid of any character with the smallest bathroom I have ever seen. The beds were like blocks of wood. Room was hot and stuffy with view overlooking the roof and car park. They must have better rooms than the one we stayed in. The restaurant is devoid of any atmosphere or character with very young and inexperienced staff. The food was ok but nothing more. The overall experience was poor compared to the hype of their marketing. Breakfast was ok although the english breakfast was overcooked. Haddock on 2nd moring was good - one highlight of food experience. This is not a completely negative review, on the plus side we were always able to park the car for 2 days without any problem. Internally and externally the hotel is neat and tidy. The free wifi access gets a thumbs up. On our arrival and second day there were two very pleasant reception staff, one of which doubled as a bar person and took our order for dinner. Overall this is an "Ok" hotel and if you go expecting no more than this you wont be disappointed but it is very expensive for what they provide. I think they should make it clear that the award was won in 2004, perhaps the hotel has changed hands since then or they have lost interest. They should certainly remove the section about the restaurant being widely regarded as the best in Bude, we only ate in one other restaurant in Bude, Life's a Beach and to put Hawkers in the same league is ridiculous. I imagine there are several other restaurants in Bude which are much better. If you are going to stay book on Bed and Breakfast only and check the standard of room first."

• Travel date: 24th August 2009

Nothing but praise

Reviewed 14th November 2012

"From our first enquiry directly at the reception, to leaving 10 days later, my wife and I have nothing but praise for the Camelot, especially all the staff who helped to make our stay really special. The food is teriffic, although the menu could be changed more frequently , our room was light and airy, although shower cubicle a bit on the small size. Our couple of minor gripes on here were far outweighed by the really nice ambience and attentative, professional staff, and the cardies worn by Paddy are a must see . Thanks Jayne and all the staff"

• Travel date: 12th July 2009

Healing place

Reviewed 25th December 2012

"I stayed in the Camelot hotel for 3 nights and I felt like at home. Stunning views, food, decor and staff. Don't expect spa, sauna and other modern facilities, it doesn't match the spirit of the castle! It's been fabulous weekend, we celebrated our first weedeng anniversary and I coulnd't imagine better place for it. Sitting with a glass of wine outside the castle, watching amazing sunset and enjoying peace of this place was great. I strongly recomend it to everyone who can appreciate history, wonderful decor and peace."

• Travel date: 9th June 2009

What service

Reviewed 14th December 2012

"I stayed at this hotel for a 4 night break and could not believe how friendly and attentive the staff were. This was my wife and I's first visit to this hotel but after the 1 night in the hotel we both felt we had gone to stay with old friends. The whole experience was top draw from the food, service and cleanliness. We have already booked and another stay at this hotel for next month but this time taking more of the family with us. We are already looking forward to it!!!"

• Travel date: 11th September 2008

Short break

Reviewed 18th November 2012

"Stayed at this family owned and run small hotel in Bude at the end of July, on Bed & Breakfast rate, the room was spotlessly clean, the shower room small but acceptable. Breakfast was cooked on request, thankfully not a buffet style and the staff attentive and attentive.. Only complaint was not the Hotel itself but other guests who were playing Golf very early on the Saturday morning, making a loy of noise when leaving the building at 4am!! The car park is on the small size and again thoughtless parking by some guests made it impossible to park in the car park on the Friday evening despite our return to the hotel at 9.45pm, the car had to be parked ion the road. Would we stay again probably yes,generally it was a good choice for a quick weekend break for my wife to visit her goddaughter, it is conveniently positioned for the town, golf club and beaches"

• Travel date: 6th August 2008

Home from Home

Reviewed 18th November 2012

"We booked the Camelot hotel in Cornwall as a last minute break and didn't know what to expect. When we arrived, we were amazed at the outstandind beauty of the hotel, its grounds and scenery. We had a chilled wine, served by a freindly waiter on the terrace overlooking the ocean. It was wonderful after the long drive and sitting in holiday traffic on the M5! The hotel reception staff were equally charming and very attentive to our needs as were the bar and waiting staff in the restaurant. The staff were all like one big happy family and are genuine people, their only concern being the needs and comfort of the guests. In fact, though well travelled, we have never experienced such friendliness! The only critisim was that the rooms are very basic and in need of some serious TLC and modernisation. A wonderful place that we will return to!! The Linney's Birmingham."

• Travel date: 1st August 2008

Great Experience

Reviewed 22nd December 2012

"The service and staff were outstanding and made our stay a memorable one. We will be back and would recommend this to all our friends."

• Travel date: 1st August 2008

Lovely hotel and friendly staff

Reviewed 14th November 2012

"I stayed in this hotel while on business in Bude. It was booked by the company I was visiting so I was a bit wary about it but what a wonderful surprise. The staff were very friendly and very helpful. We sat in the bar and had a drink while ordering our evening food and then we were escorted into the restaurant when the food was ready to be served. I thought this was a nice touch which you don;t see very often. The food was very good and the breakfast was also very nice. The rooms are very clean, bright and airy and there is even a LCD TV with freeview. If I have to go back to Bude i would certainly stay in this hotel again."

• Travel date: 15th May 2007

A very warm and friendly hotel

Reviewed 22nd December 2012

"Lovely hotel with great food. The staff made us most welcome. Our room was large and airy with a lovely view over the Golf course."

• Travel date: 4th April 2007

Not really worth the money

Reviewed 14th December 2012

"We stayed here for 4 nights on a 4 for the price of 3 D B&B package. Our main problem with this hotel was the food at dinner. We picked the hotel due to location and the fact it has an RAC dining award. We have since tried to establish the criteria for the award without success. The menu was the same for the week with only the 'roast of the day' being different from one day to the next. The rest of the menu was not to everyone's taste, for example veal escalopes (which were a very strange colour - bordering on dark grey) and about 5 other choices. The rooms were comfortable enough although the en-suite was a bit tatty and the loo seat had to be held up to avoid a nasty accident. Breakfast was a good meal with a wide choice of fruit and cereals and many hot items that came from the kitchen rather than hot plates and were, in the main, freshly cooked although oregano on the grilled tomatoes does not go too well at breakfast!!"

• Travel date: 16th October 2006