Newly created patio area for our guests

Good

Not as good as I had hoped for

Reviewed 23rd December 2012

"Having read some of the other reviews on this site I can see where all of them are coming from. I stayed in this hotel in 1998 and was very impressed and this was the first time I had stayed there again since. My husband judges B&Bs on whether they offer you a cup of tea when you arrive (in 1998, the then-owners of this B&B did), as I don't like cooked breakfasts, I judge them on whether they provide a decent breakfast for those of us who don't like fried food first thing n the morning. I had not known that the B&B was changing hands and thought that it was a bit underhand not to tell guests that it was happening, given that so much of the 5* is based on the service of the previous owner . So I was a bit miffed when I discovered the change of ownership the day before. We arrived (mum, dad and 5 year old son) on a Saturday afternoon. We were not offered a cup of tea on arrival and I would not have said we were truly made to feel welcome. However, we were happy enough with the room (room 3). The breakfast was good though my husband noticed a bit of old tea stain on the teapot. Porridge with drambuie was really good, I hope the new owners keep that going, it's great (watch out if you are driving) and service was good. Fruit was a bit old. My husband said the cooked breakfast was good. I felt that the new owner was struggling a bit - our room wasn't cleaned/bed made etc one day - he needs more help to keep on top of things. Generally I felt the place needs updating and will need to work hard to retain the 5 star rating. I've stayed in a 5* place in Scotland which was head and shoulders above this one (generally B&Bs are better in Scotland anyway, I think the Scottish Tourist Board is stricter). It is too expensive for what you get but was ok - just not fantastic value for money."

• Travel date: 15th August 2008

Disappointing to say the least

Reviewed 23rd January 2013

"Having seen the website and read about their awards, we were confident that we had picked the right accommodation for our two night stay. From the outside the property looked fine and the greeting was very friendly. However when we were shown to our room, our disappointment could not have been greater. The decor, was drab and out dated. Everything looked like it could do with a damn good clean. The heavy curtains were covered in dust and the matching bed throw was stained and shabby and had long black hairs all over it. Obviously a previous guest or one of the chamber maids, we dont know but it was really off putting. To make matters worse the duvet cover looked like it had a blood stain on the bottom of it! The over sized bedside lamps were difficult to use and the furniture was not what we expected of the star rating they displayed. I dropped my glasses down the back of the bedside table and was horrified when I went to pick them up that behind the bedside table the dust was so thick it had formed a grey fur over everything. It looked like the lamp and table had never been hoovered behind. The bathroom was adequate but the shower was poor. There was a notice asking guests to keep the shower curtain inside the bath, which was impossible as the down draft from the shower made the curtain billow out and cause water to flow all over the floor. Our complimentary toiletries were in a basket which were displayed on a shelf below the toilet pan and this really put us off as it was obvious that a male guest had tiddled over them and the chamber maid had given them a cursory wipe down with a dirty cloth. Our first mornings breakfast was unforgiveable. The butter had gone ransid and the cups and teapot were dirty. My partner took a mouthful of what we thought to be a potato cake and had to spit it out into a tissue because of the taste. He did tell the waitress who was apologetic and offered to get him something else but we declined. Our second mornings breakfast was the same poor quality but at least we were given clean crockery. The butter was still ransid. On the whole this place did not live up to our expectations and we were very disappointed by the lack of cleanliness and basic hygeine standards of the place. The staff were the properties redeeming feature. The owners should be proud of them as they are the only thing that we consider to be above average with the place. The property is a dissappointment and how the AA or visit Britain have not been back to check and still give it its same star rating beggars beleif!"

• Travel date: 3rd August 2008

this place is the best.

Reviewed 22nd December 2012

"We landed at Heathrow then headed for Manchester after a day of delays and long Haul flights eventually we got to Stone Villa drained and ready to fall. We had a hell of a day one flight delay after another on top of it all one of our bags was lost by British airways. We got to the hotel the guy at reception could see we were wacked out, he told us to sit down got us some hot tea. wow we needed it. He did the paper work with us while we sat drinking tea, we then headed for our room, room 3 on the ground floor. what a fantastic room all looked new the bed looked great and we fell in it and slept all night. The breakfast the next day was a dream ham and eggs with all the side stuff fresh fruit yoghurt all sorts of stuff, my wife needs the gutton free stuff, not a problem they had it even the special sausages in stock. I stayed at stone villa for 6 days all i can is why have they only got five stars the service the room the food was better than great. For me for the price It was the best so far. I've stayed in many hotels in all kinds of places round the world but the welcome, hospitality and choice at breakfast at this place really was the best. A great place i will be back again for sure."

• Travel date: 3rd August 2008

Disappointing

Reviewed 22nd January 2013

"Like many others I booked this on the strength of the reviews read on this site. On a positive note, the location was fine, far enough from the town centre to get a good nights sleep and with shops open until late just around the corner. There was also a great Chinese restaurant across the road which was recommended by the owner. He was very friendly and helpful but I got the impression that he was doing most of the work himself which is possibly why it was disappointing. The room we had was the family room. It was a decent size and the bed was very comfortable. The kettle didnt work but it was late by the time I came to make a coffee so I didnt bother complaining. I am sure this would have been remedied had I asked. The bathroom was a let down - the shower did not work properly and the decor was looking a little tired. There were no towels but these were provided as soon as we asked. I was not impressed with the breakfast - the OJ was obviously out of a carton and the quality of the ingredients not the best, but I have had worse. Overall, I would say this was a 3 star and I suppose I shouldnt grumble too much as the rates were very competitive. All in all, nothing which couldnt be easily fixed, it is just a pity my hopes were raised by reading other reviews. Sorry."

• Travel date: 25th July 2008

fabulous b&b

Reviewed 22nd December 2012

"we stayed at Chester Stone Villa in August 2007 for 3 nights. we booked quite late but what a choice we made. Betty & Ian and all the staff are wonderful, the service is magnificent. A brilliant breakfast with everything you could ask for - porridge is a must with cream & drambuie! Homemade preserves, some of which are infused with alcohol as well! (It sets you up for the day) They have all the time in the world for you and will help answer any questions you have about Chester and the surrounding area. The walk into the town centre is about 15-20 minutes, not the most picturesque across the railway either, but they have a direct line to a local taxi service which is only a couple of pounds each way. They are also very quick to get to the hotel as well so your not hanging around. A place that we will most certainly be staying at again"

• Travel date: 25th July 2008

Great hide away!

Reviewed 26th November 2012

"We stayed for a sunday evening. The staff are so welcoming and generally take an interest. My partner and I recently got engaged and the ladies who Served us breakfast were keen to congratulate us - nice personal feel. It is probably a good 15 minite walk into the town which although doesnt sound far when you have been walking all day you may wish it was a littler nearer! Parking was not a problem and because we stayed on a Sunday night we got a special rate 10 pound reduction so it is worth caling directly! Breakfast was great and filled us up until dinner time! really cant fault this B and B we would return again :) The bed room was good great duvet and the bed felt like new! THEY EVEN LEAVE LTTLE CHOCOLATES FOR YOU!"

• Travel date: 6th July 2008

Did not meet expectations

Reviewed 23rd October 2012

"I genuinely cannot understand how the hotel has merited the awards it seems to have been given as we honestly found it to be an average quality, 3 start at best and sincerely cannot understand how Visit Britain and AA commend it so highly. We stayed here for 3 nights from 19th June. Like others I did a considerable amount of research prior to booking and felt from the reviews and the hotels web site, that it looked ideal. We were very warmly greeted on our arrival and shown to our room (9). The room was at the front of the hotel with a king size and very comfortable bed which took up most of the room. Furnishings were tired and uninteresting and the bed linen faded. The room looked on first inspection as though it was in need of a good clean through.The worst feature was the bathroom which was extremely small and would appear just a partician in the room. There was no room for two people in at any one time. Like another review the wallpaper in our bathroom was peeling away from the walls in 3 places and the bathroom had no ventilation. The shower over the bath sprayed everywhere and generally the whole place looked grubby. There was complimentary water in the fridge and milk provided. To make up for the disappointment in the room however it must be said that staff went out of their way to be extremely hospitable and made us very welcome. Breakfast was good, hot and with a plentiful choice including, fruit, cheese and cooked meat. Jams were we were told home made. Cooked breakfast was excellent. In normal circumstances as I have a tourism business myself I would have expressed my disatisfaction at the time of stay, however the owner told us that she was retirning at the end of the week after 32 years and we did not feel it appropriate. All I can say is that please do not book with expectations from the pretty pictures you see on this hotels web site as it I feel it could be a bit misleading. If you want a average holiday hotel with warm hospitatlity( new owners now in place we hear) then this may be your place however if you are looking for that bit extra in terms of quality then I dont think this will satisfy and we would not personally recommend it."

• Travel date: 3rd July 2008

Home from home

Good
Reviewed 26th November 2012

"Stayed one night at the Stone Villa. It is very easy to find and not too far out of the city centre to walk there. The bedroom had everything you would expect in a hotel room and more. There was a small seating corner with 2 comfy chairs, next to a table with tea/coffee/hot chocolate, kettle, biscuits and chocolates. There was a small fridge with small bottles of water and wine glasses. A fan if the room was hot, TV with DVD player. Comfortable bed and pillow and lovely bedding. Hair dryer, trouser press. Bathroom with soft towels and "white company" toiletries. Great choice of breakfast, fresh fruit salads, cereals, home made jams, full english (with vegetarian option)... too many to list. Wonderfully friendly staff - thoroughly recommended!"

• Travel date: 6th June 2008

The best kept secret in Chester

Reviewed 23rd December 2012

"Fantastic run little hotel modern clean rooms with everything you could ask for. A welcome smile on arrival. A great breakfast the next day. With only a short walk in to the city, a fantastic place no wonder the owners say they are always full. No wonder this hotel has 5 stars. Cant wait to go back to Chester. a great place, with great service."

• Travel date: 3rd June 2008

Great Breakfast,clean & friendly

Reviewed 25th October 2012

"We have just returned from a 5 night stay at this perfect little B&B. We stayed in a ground floor family executive room (room 2) which had a double and single bed,and a roll-out bed under the single bed which would be useful for a family of 4. The room was very large and also had 2 chairs and a table. The decor & furnishings were to a very high standard and it was spotlessly clean. There was a fridge which was stocked daily with bottled water,and a jug of milk which was there for the first day. Along with the usual tea,coffee & milk were sachets of horlicks,hot chocolate & cafe latte.Biscuits & 5 chocolates were also supplied each day. The fridge also contained a corkscrew & bottle opener. There was a flat screen TV and DVD player,trouser press and ironing board & iron.Hair dryer and telephone. Plenty of electric sockets dotted around the room. The wardrobe houses a safe and some good coathangers(not the sort that you have to struggle to hook into those silly metal hooks!) There was scissors,file & sewing kit to be found in another container. Then in the bathroom we were supplied with 2 flannels,cotton-wool balls,sachets of shampoo and foam bath/gel,shower cap,soap etc which were replenished daily. There are also large bottles of good quality hand wash,body lotion,shampoo and shower gel. Plenty of towels supplied.Very big bath with fixed shower over,supplying hot water whenever required. There is a nice sitting area as you enter the hotel,as well as comfy chairs & lamps in the corridors. The staff are all so friendly and breakfast was a really pleasant experience.Individual tables,help yourself to juices,cereals,fruit,yoghurt,cheeses etc. Porridge can be ordered with cream,honey & Drambruie...Delicious!!! Then a massive choice for hot breakfast..choose whatever combination of food you want . There is a nice seating area outside the front door and there is plenty of easy car parking in the hotel car park in front of the hotel. We felt really comfortable staying at this hotel and will certainly stay again when in Chester. The standard of service,food and accommodation and friendliness of the owners & staff were much better than the big 3 & 4* hotels that we have ever stayed in."

• Travel date: 31st May 2008