Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel

Whitchurch Road Christleton, Chester CH3 5QL England

Fabulous throughout

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"Outline

The hotel stay was for 4 nights mid week, booked by my company due to the location of my work

Travel

The hotel is next to a main A road so easily accessible by car. The nearest train station is about 1o minutes away in the car depending upon traffic, not within walking distance however taxi's are usually waiting outside the train station.

Arrival

The entrance is impressive and sets the tone for the rest of the hotel which is friendly, modern and fabulous. On the ground floor there is reception, restaurant, bar, lounge, two gym rooms, sauna, steam room, Jacuzzi, swimming pool and most the rooms. Once I checked in I headed towards my room. All the fixtures, fittings and decor were to a high standard

Room

Rooms were well made up, attention to detail was impeccable, and they were fresh, roomy and fitted with 23" Philips flat screen Televisions. The hotel officially say that the scart sockets are disabled, however this is untrue; if you unplug the hotels pay per view system and plug in your own item (such as DVD player, games console the TV will automatically go to the scart channel. They are very well maintained and styled. They have 8 coat hangers, and plenty of clothes shelves. The rooms are made up every day for you. Tea and coffee facilities are provided in the room. The rooms have windows that open quite wide if required.

Food

A full English breakfast is provided. I always had the full English breakfast. The food was delicious, even the bacon was moist and crispy. The evening food is what you would expect from a quality restaurant. Filling but sensible portions are on the menu, a three course meal can cost £20 which is superb. The quality of the staff in the restaurant is commendable and I considered to be a delightful, peaceful and pleasurable place to dine.

Value for money

At £68 for a twin room per night I found this extremely good value. The quality of the room was phenomenal. The friendliness and quality of all the staff throughout made the price per night seem like it was a bargain.
Overall experience

Overall Experience

The hotel has clearly just been refurbished so it was all nice, clean, and a pleasant place to stay. I cannot recommend this hotel enough partly due to the quality of hotel for the price and most of all because every single member of staff went out of their way to help you with anything you might ask of them. They made my stay and absolute delight. Thank you!"

• Travel date: Thu 13th of September 2007

Good hotel for a short break

Reviewed Tue 9th of October 2012

"We stayed at the hotel the weekend of the Chester races and although we heard the hotel was fully booked we did not find any problems with service and were able to check into our room early. We had an upgraded room (number 123) which was nicely decorated and had everything we needed for a one night stay. The only complaint would be that there is no air conditioning which could be a problem (if our summer improved!) but they do supply a fan in the room but we didnt need to use it. We left the car in the hotel car park and walked the short distance (less than 5 mins walk) to the park and ride and got the bus into Chester for £1.50 return which took us right into the middle of Chester. We took taxis at night for less than £5. Although the location is not central, it is so easy to get into the centre and the extra travel far outweighs the extra cost of staying in a central hotel and paying car parking charges. We didnt eat in the hotel restaurant apart from breakfast which was buffet style, and was more than adequate with a good choice and freshly cooked which was included in our room rate. We didnt have time to use the leisure facilities. All in all we would stay at this hotel again if we were visiting Chester."

• Travel date: Thu 9th of August 2007

Horrible Place, my advice go to a Travel Inn.

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"The lobby looks great but the hotel is terrible! Our stay was a nightmare from start to finish (see below). The restraunt is not a nice place to eat dinner, very dark and dingy. The overall quality of service is very poor. My Advice is avoid this Hotel and go to a Premier Travel Inn, half the price and better standards in my experience. If you do go avoid Rooms 358 and 114 for the reasons outlined below.

Booked a 3 night stay in a "Double Executive" room. When we arrived we were told there were no double executives left and we were given a family room (358). The bathroom was horrible (see pictures) and we asked to be transferred, but could not because it was fully booked.

The next day we moved to a new room next to the bar (114). We went to bed at 11pm and was awoken at 1am by the noise of 50 people returning from a night out in chester. The hotel management informed us the bar was 24 hours, and they could not instruct them to be quiet or remove them, so they moved us again at 1am. We demanded our money back and left the next morning."

• Travel date: Mon 23rd of July 2007

Ramada Hotel Chester

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"We stayed here one night while on a Globus Tour. The hotel was decorated in a modern style, as well as our room. I thought our room was very stylish and clean. Our bathroom could have been a bit larger. We had dinner and breakfast at the hotel compliments of our tour. For the dinner, we had a menu with 3-4 choices for appetizer, dinner, and dessert. The dinner was a plated meal and tasted great! The breakfast was an average buffet.
There is a large bar area in the lobby of the hotel, where many people on our tour enjoyed a drink or two before dinner.
There is a fitness center and pool, but we found it awkward to get to and once we got there there was no one else around and we decided not to use it."

• Travel date: Sun 8th of July 2007

Really impressed!

Reviewed Wed 21st of November 2012

"Stayed one night, had a lovely, recently refurbished room. My only complaint about the room would be that it was very hot! Breakfast was fantastic, really good choice and very tasty. Staff were helpful and friendly. No complaints, would recommend and stay there again!"

• Travel date: Wed 4th of July 2007

Fab weekend

Reviewed Thu 29th of November 2012

"Stayed for two nights for a family birthday weekend. We were a party of 7 adults, two young children and a baby. We stayed in executive rooms which were modern and spacious, though would benefit from air conditioning.
Ate in the restaurant the first night as we were half board. The food was disapointing and portions small - expensive too if you are paying separately. The second night we went to a Chinese recommended by reception which was fantastic.
The hotel staff were great and we all (including the children) felt very welcome.
The hotel is located conveniently near a park and ride to take you into the city centre. Chester itself is fantastic for shopping. We also had a lovely day out at the zoo.
I would certainly stay at the hotel again if visiting Chester in the future."

• Travel date: Sun 17th of June 2007

Fantastic

Reviewed Thu 29th of November 2012

"What a fabulous hotel, very good location with loads of free parking, first hotel in a while where I havent paid for parking!
Reception very friendly, rooms nice, contemporary and more than sufficent space. The hotel has just gone no smoking through out public areas - FANTASTIC. Meal in restaurant great, tasty and good service. Leisure club good as well. Enjoyed the weekend thoroughly. Highly recommened."

• Travel date: Sun 20th of May 2007

Had a lovely weekend in Chester, booked...

Reviewed Sat 17th of February 2007

"Had a lovely weekend in Chester, booked for 2 nights including dinner on first night and breakfast both mornings, for only £169.

We thought this was great value dinner was lovely and breakfast fantastic.

Yes the changing rooms are a bit dated but the pool was lovely and quiet.

I agree with the comment about the bar being smoky but were so glad of a child free weekend we hardly noticed.

I wouldn’t pay £100 per room per night but we found the staff all extremely helpful and polite and would visit this hotel again."

• Travel date: Sat 17th of February 2007

OK

Reviewed Wed 21st of November 2012

"Stayed for one night.
On arrival we were given the option of a ground or first floor room. We chose 1st floor. There are no lifts but they did offer to help us with our luggage.

The hotel:
A bit tired, two storey motel style hotel. Narrow corridors which seem to go on and on.

Our standard room:
Small but clean, could do with a little bit of a makeover but OK. The floorboards were VERY squeaky - thank goodness we were'nt on the ground floor - it must've been noisy! The bathroom was very small but clean.

The bed was a problem though... it was very uncomfortable and in need of a replacement mattress.

The Bar:
Drinks were expensive and the bar was open to reception and got very smokey which for us non smokers was'nt very nice. We did'nt eat there because of this but there was a no smoking Harvester pub about a 5 minute walk (out of the hotel and turn Rt) which was much cheaper and served OK food.

The Leisure Club;
Used the pool only and as other reviewers have said the changing rooms were a bit battered and basic but the pool and jacuzzi was pleasant. Good for kids. The gym area looked OK from what we could see.

Breakfast:
A good selection of hot and cold items.Service was good. Only minor negative was there were some 'hot' items that had gone cold. This was probably due to us going down during the quiet time.

Staff:
Overall, reasonably friendly and efficient.

Misc.
Reception booked a taxi to Chester City for us and it cost around £5. The taxi driver was great too!

We were woken up by the fire alarm at 11.30pm at night which stopped after a minute or two - after phoning reception they said don't worry, it was a drunk guest who had set it off accidentally. Although not the hotels fault... that was a little worrying!!!"

• Travel date: Sat 13th of January 2007

Go for the studio rooms!

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"Friendly and helpful staff, food delicious.
Rooms are excellent, clean and well worth going for a studio room.
Leisure facilities to suit all."

• Travel date: Sun 3rd of September 2006

I thought our stay was bad until a frien...

Reviewed Mon 27th of March 2006

"I thought our stay was bad until a friend went some weeks later and came back with worse stories than me. It started to go down hill when we checked in, we where stood at reception for 15 minutes before someone came to check us in (also no apologies for our wait).

We then had to wait till 4.30pm because the room wasn't ready, even though check in was at 2pm. Whilst waiting in the bar we ordered some drinks, the glass I was drinking from had a rim of lipstick that wasn't mine! So the glass hadn't even been washed. The tables in the lounge where also dirty, with full ashtrays.

I thought it was really bad that there was not a non-smoking area, I am a non-smoker but felt like I'd smoked a pack of twenty by the time our room was actually ready!
When we finally got up to the room I had no complaints, it was very clean and was very modern, suitable for a young couple like ourselves.

We later went down to the swimming pool, and found the changing rooms extremely dirty. There were dirty footprints all over the floor, hair and lime scale in the sinks, not very nice at all.

In the middle of the night it was so warm I couldn't sleep and struggled to breathe, which obviously woke me up several times. The radiator wasn't on and if we opened the window we could hear the traffic outside. We also decided to get breakfast elsewhere as £12 for a bowl of cereal was extremely expensive as I could but a years worth of cereal for that!

Overall I don't think it's worth the money at all and wouldn't advise it to anyone. "

• Travel date: Mon 27th of March 2006

Hotels near Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel

Stayed at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel? Share your insight.

Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel is also called