DoubleTree By Hilton Hotel & Spa Chester

Exterior

Awful hotel, not even a 3 star

Reviewed 6th November 2018

"I stayed at this property on one of the hottest weekends of the year for what was supposed to be a romantic get away for my husband and I for our wedding anniversary. The air conditioning was broken and I suffered extreme heat exhaustion. I had expected to move rooms when I initially raised the issue of the faulty air conditioning, as opposed to just being given a fan which only served to spread the warm heat around the already unbearably hot room. I spent the majority of the weekend suffering from heat stroke, with a severe migraine and nausea and vomiting. Having raised this with management I was promised a refund of my points used for this stay. However, upon leaving I realised that they had no intention of keeping this promise. I would thoroughly suggest you stay away from this property as it will not only be a true waste of your money but you will also receive meager service by people who call themselves professionals. I have emailed hilton several times post this stay to voice my dissatisfaction (including emailing personally the operations manager at this property, a George Topouzoglou), but unfortunately it seems he does not wish to deal with actual complaints after you have left the property. Serious health & safety concerns at this hotel. I would stay away! There are much nicer places to stay in Chester."

• Travel date: 1st May 2018

First Class Hotel

Reviewed 24th February 2009

"My wife and I had the great pleasure of staying at this wonderful hotel which is now the DOUBLE TREE BY HILTON. The hotel has had a massive make over which makes this a first class hotel. What ever we required nothing was too much trouble for the day and night staff. Our room was excellent and we had room service late at night served by a very polite night porter. Our breakfast was a delight. We would recommend this hotel to everyone and we look forward to staying at this wonderful hotel in the future. "

• Travel date: 24th February 2009

A Wonderful New Year!!

Reviewed 17th December 2012

"Stayed at the Hotel for 2 nights over New Year's Eve. A beautiful hotel in a beautiful setting. Very luxurious, modern feel with helpful and friendly staff (booked a taxi for us on New Year's Eve with no fuss, and quickly responded to other requests). Very close to Chester city centre, Chester Zoo, Cheshire Oaks Retail Outlet and The Coliseum Leisure Park, and Liverpool for days out exploring. Executive Bedroom was comfortable (wide king size bed), spacious and full of modern design. Minibar/fridge with complimentary water and fresh milk. Tea and coffee in room (selection of teas) - and biscuits too! Hairdryer (modern and powerful - same as the one I brought with me!), Flat screen television (with speaker in bathroom!), free broadband internet available (although this did not work while we were there - staff unable to suggest solution - could have been the settings on our laptop). Blackout curtains on window so no worries about being woken at dawn by the light (although the air conditioning/heating pipes were quite noisy in the early hours of the morning). Gorgeous bathroom, bath with powerful shower, complimentary toiletries, bath robes and slippers! (Large mirrors throughout bedroom and bathroom - usually find in hotels that these are inadequate in size and location in the room, but was very pleasantly surprised). We did not have any meals at the hotel, so cannot comment on the food or service in the restaurant. Bar was modern and welcoming, serving tea and coffee as well as the usual. Gorgeous artwork and a lovely open fire to sit by. Would recommend this hotel to anyone, and would love to return when the spa is finished later in the year."

• Travel date: 3rd January 2009

Nice Enough!

Reviewed 22nd December 2012

"We stayed here the saturday the 6th just for a night away & to do some christmas shopping in and around Chester. On arrival we was able to check in earlier than 2pm which we both thought brilliant. After settling in our room a maid suddenly walked in on us not realising we had already checked in - very strange, about 15minutes later there was a knock on the door from another maid panicking the milk was not in our fridge! Hotel very white & clean and the reception staff are very helpful. Unfortunatley when we were getting ready to go out at night we had no hot water in our room i.e shower was ver cold. We rung down to reception and waited for management, after waiting twenty minuites i phoned again the hotel manager came up and offered we use the room next door which was vacant, Hotel was lovely, rooms were big enough nice to have large robes, free water & a good selection of magazines. Breakfast very overpriced for what you get would not pay for this again. Apart from the few niggles we had with the hotel i probably would stay here again when the spa has opened!"

• Travel date: 8th December 2008

Not quite us!

Reviewed 11th December 2012

"This was my Birthday weekend, we'd been up to Lake District the previous night, and we were looking for somewhere to break up the journey home. As others have commented there is a lot of building work going on at the moment, the spa should be ready for next year, this didn't actually affect us as it was a Saturday/Sunday stay and no building work was taking place. The plus points, it is one very nice hotel, all very formal. The room was slightly smaller than I expected but the queen size bed was probably one of the best i've ever slept in the the bed linen, towels and bath robes (could have been bigger, i'm not the slimest guy but i'm not exactly huge either) were top quality. Calls to the UK were complimentary, the TV had a large range of satellite channels, Sky Sports!!. The staff were very professional. Free Milk and water in the fridge. The minus points, they obviously have had the designers in, the hotel is very White!!, I can see it being a nightmare keeping it in pristine condition, there were already a couple of scuffs on the paintwork in our room. It came across a little cold to me. A hole had been drilled in our bathroom, I assumed they lined the towel rail up wrong, but they'd just left this hole(hidden by the towels) and the towel rail didn't actually heat up. One of the electrical sockets hadn't been lined up quite properly. At the rate we paid I couldn't complain but as I suspect when the spa opens the rates will increase substantially, they need to take care of the little things. We'd just arrived and were getting "romantic" when room service knocked and started to walk in, partially our fault for not putting the "do not disturb sign" out or locking the door!, they did call to apologise about 30 minutes later and offer some complimentary drinks!. We went into Chester for dinner and on our return asked at reception for some extra tea bags which were supposed to be brought up to our room but never arrived. £15 for a cooked breakfast, £10 for the continental, whilst the choice looked fantastic and we were not really holding back, £15 each for Breakfast!!. All minor points really! When the Spa is completed it will be superb, would I recommend it for a special treat, yes. Having said that would I go back, probably not, It just wasn't me. I like my hotels to be a little less formal and a bit more laid back like myself."

• Travel date: 7th December 2008

Superb weekend!

Reviewed 26th October 2012

"We stayed at Hoole Hall on 25th & 26th October. This was a birthday treat for a family member. We have stayed in Chester many times but wanted something a little special this time. We were not disappointed! The hotel is undergoing a complete refurbishment and the rooms are finished, just the new spa centre to open in 2009. The great thing was that although you knew this was going on we couldn't tell. The rooms are superb and the TV speaker in the bathroom WAS an extra that made us smile. Complimentray soft drinks and UK landline phone calls in the room....how many offer that!? The quality of service was excellent including the evening turn-down service where they replenished what you'd taken from the fridge. The restaurant was superb for breakfast and smart staff served us very well. On our last evening we had just a bar-meal, their home-made burger....oh my goodness, never tasted one so good! Real solid hunk of meat. We will be returning in the new year and more frequently. A great weekend....thanks to all at Hoole Hall."

• Travel date: 28th October 2008

Great speaker in the bathroom.

Reviewed 22nd December 2012

"From check in to check out this was a fantastic experience. The staff were welcoming, helpful and informative (even reminding us that the clocks were going back the following day). This was our first visit to Chester and I would definitely return just to stay in this hotel. We stayed on a room only basis and we chose to eat dinner in the city centre although I would try the hotel next time as it looked inviting. The room was very nice with tasteful decor and a wonderful array of complimentary items such as chocolates and magazines. It had the comfort of home with the elegance of a hotel. The t.v speaker in the bathroom was an added luxury for my partner as he was able to listen to the football, whilst I was highly impressed and envious of the towels and the bed. I look forward to the opening of the spa next year and I would highly recommend you book this hotel."

• Travel date: 27th October 2008

A truly fabulous find

Reviewed 11th October 2012

"This hotel is really lovely; modern, luxurious furnishings, light, bright and although the bedrooms are not huge, they have been thoughtfully put together. The beds are really comfortable. The staff were extremely helpful and the service in the restaurant was exemplary (loved the white gloves!). Dinner was excellent and very good value at £25 for the set menu. Breakfast was great too. They are trying very hard to get things right and they have suceeded. I am very fussy and I could not fault this hotel. Gorgeous."

• Travel date: 21st October 2008

Excellent Hotel, can thoroughly recommend

Reviewed 17th December 2012

"Excellent hotel. Hotel staff were very helpful especially the porter who showed us all of the facilities in the room. Rooms were well laid out modern and the bathroom was very clean and came with a bath and shower. The rooms had excellent facilities including a flat screen tv, hairdryer, fridge with complimentary soft drinks and tea and coffee making facilities including fresh milk. Internet access was also free in the rooms. The hotel is currently being refurbished but you wouldn't have known this apart from the temporary reception area as there was no additional noise and all the facilities were running as normal. We didn't eat dinner in the restaurant but breakfast can be recommended, the cooked breakfast came out well presented and was cooked perfectly, not greasy at all. The hotel is in a great location, close to Chester so is only a short taxi ride away for a night out. Can thoroughly recommend this hotel."

• Travel date: 14th October 2008

Birthday treat at Hoole Hall

Reviewed 30th October 2012

"Right up until we turned off for Chester, my husband had kept my destination a secret. I had sussed where we were going from the road signs, but played along as I didn't have a clue WHERE in Chester we were staying. The huge drive off the dual carriageway lead to a beautifully restored mansion house with water fountain in the middle of the lawn. The hotel, I understand has only been open since April 2008 and plans a luxury spa for summer 2009. Having looked at the scaled down model just along from reception, its a bold plan that we hope comes off. Our room was situated in the new building, alas it does not have a lift as yet, although we were assured that a one was being fitted. I couldnt see where this would be. We were on the top floor & yes, my suitcase was packed for a fortnight, not a weekend (well, he wouldn't tell me where we were going, I had to pack for every eventuality didn't I?) so it was very heavy. The porter did offer, but I took it myself anyway. I guess its a British thing.....(good grief that's heavy, you cant possibly carry that...here let me, no, no honestly I can manage...huff, puff) THE ROOM The room was lovely. Plain walls of cream and off white suede curtains. Flat screen Samsung tv on the wall, internet point on the desk, free magazines (we had Cosmo, Marie Claire & Traveller) dark wooden furniture, black mesh office chair on castors, single chair in the corner, bedside tables, a beside phone (free UK calls) huge mirrored wardrobe doors (wardrobe not so huge) large bedroom mirror over the desk with another phone.Fridge in the bedroom with fresh milk and Bottlegreen drinks, plus 2 types of named brand water (still & sparkling) Tea, coffee, kitkats in the hospitality cubby which is also in the wardrobe. Safe box and I'm sorry to say very limited hanging space (even if you didn't pack for a round the world trip) Pole comes out towards you rather than from left to right & this makes it feel a little awkward as Hoole uses fixed hanger hoops, detachable hanger pads. THE BATHROOM Bathroom check. Clean. Two large mirrors, good lighting. shaving mirror on extendable arm. Gilchrist & Soames bath products and complimentary bath robes of heavyweight cotton & slippers. Bath is on the small side and if you are a tall person, you would struggle. Also, the bath is an hourglass shape, sadly we aren't, so if you're chubby like us you may feel a little wedged. The shower is a power one & very controllable. THE BED Bed is huge and although wider than a king size, not very long. I'm 5 foot tall & my feet were at the bottom of the bed if I snuggled down. My hubby is around 5 foot 9" and slept very comfy. I think if you were over 6 foot tall, you may suffer a little. FOOD & DRINK We took dinner in the Orchid Restaurant on both nights. Having been lead through to the bar to peruse the menu over cocktails (me a champagne classic, him a Blackberry Collins) plus complimentary & deliciously edible moreish bar snacks (wasabi peanuts, chili crackers, smoked almonds, chili peanuts) were were spoilt for choice. As well as a very comprehensive suits all pockets & tastes wine list, we also had a choice of 3 menus. The Market Menu at £25 per person offering delights such as Potage (watercress soup this time) a 12oz Galloway sirloin with chunky chips, portobello mushroom, sauce bernaise & tomato with a choice of desert such as vanilla poached pears. The Taster Menu which could also include a glass of wine, a different one for every course @ £65 per person or the A la Carte, which we went for. Dishes started around the £6.50 area for a starter, £10 for king scallops, and mains at £15 offering tastes such as wild rabbit, chicken or monkfish. There is something to suit. It is strongly advisable to book even if you think that it may be a quiet night. Both nights we were at the restaurant it was very busy. Saturday evening moreso with some guests being taken to their table by around 20 minutes after their reservation time. BREAKFAST Is enormous. From continental meats, cheeses, bread rolls, muffins, croissant and Danish pastry to cereals, fresh & poached fruits and yogurts. Toast is brought to your table along with your choice of juice. Our only gripe was both times we asked for tea for two, we received one tea pot which only gave us one cup each. I know this is nit-picking & yes, we could have asked for two teapots, which I ended up doing. I would far rather they gave you BOTH a pot of tea from the outset or give you a bigger teapot. Double thumbs up for Hoole Hall. We would really like to go back to use the spa and to see how they have utilised the unused & very large conservatory at the back. Anyway. We have attached some pictures."

• Travel date: 5th October 2008

Excellant two day stay

Reviewed 26th December 2012

"We stayed for two nights, room only, so we cannot comment on the food. The staff were very helpful, the room was shown to us for our approval and then our bags were taken to the room. This is the first hotel we have stayed in where fresh milk was kept in the mini bar for our morning coffee, excellent. Would certainly stay again, even better when the Spa is up and running (2009)"

• Travel date: 3rd August 2008

Well Worth Staying Here

Reviewed 11th December 2012

"Myself and my wife chose this hotel based upon the reviews & the price (£85 for the room midweek) on a trip to the Lake District. We were so impressed with it, we stayed here again on our return journey. The hotel is extremely clean & very new - even with refurbishments going on. Which I should add you could never hear. The staff were extremely welcoming and helpful - from the reception, restaurant & bar. Even the housekeeping staff would offer a smile and a 'Good morning' which although something small, is attention to detail & a sign of well trained/friendly staff. The rooms are large, comfortable & spotless. I do a lot of travel & am quite fussy regarding hotels..... This was one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in! The rooms also come with a large LCD on the wall and the bathrooms too are large. The room on our outward trip had a very large shower (although they call it a wetroom in their description), and on our return stay it had a big bath with shower. The restaurant food was immaculate and there are plenty of choices for vegetarians. As someone already pointed out, it is not on the lower scale pricewise, You get what you pay for! One downside is that there is no room service menu in the rooms as we wanted to get something to eat when we arrived. I did however get a 'selection of sandwiches' menu from reception which wasn't great to be honest. Nor is there a breakfast room service menu which was disappointing. Chester centre is approx 1.5miles away. A taxi would be cheaper than driving and paying for parking - which was pointed out to me by the staff also. Overall I would highly recommend this hotel and would stay here again with no hesitation."

• Travel date: 30th July 2008

Hotels near DoubleTree By Hilton Hotel & Spa Chester

Top traveller tips for DoubleTree By Hilton Hotel & Spa Chester

• by ANTHONY216

"The hotel restaurant was excellent"

DoubleTree By Hilton Hotel & Spa Chester is also called