Premier Inn bedroom

Good

Decent hotel for a decent price

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"We stayed here for one night as we had an early start in the morning at a nearby visitor attraction. To be honest, we weren't expecting that much for £29 in a chain hotel next to the A1 but we were pleasantly surprised by our stay, which was hassle-free and very pleasant. We arrived at around 6.30pm, having found the hotel easily using the directions emailed to us with our booking confirmation. We were greeted by a friendly, smiling receptionist who politely apologised for the mis-spelling of my name on the confirmation, and checked us in quickly. Our room, on the second floor, was large and clean. It was very cold in there at first as the cleaner had left the window open, but the convection heater kicked in within minutes and it was soon nice and warm. There was no traffic noise from the A1 at all, and the bed was very comfortable. The TV had all of the 'Freeview' channels available, including a selection of radio stations, which was great. The bathroom was not quite as impressive as the room, being quite small and cramped, but the shower was lovely and hot and the towels were fluffy and clean. There was no soap in the dispenser in the shower, and the light above the mirror was broken, but these are minor complaints. We had dinner in the pub next door. It was reasonably busy, being 8pm on a Friday this was to be expected, and the staff were apologetic about the longish wait for our food. Starters and mains were well cooked and good value, and portions were generous so we didn't want pudding, altough we enjoyed a nightcap in the bar area afterwards. After a good night's sleep we also had breakfast in the pub - the buffet was well stocked with fruit, cereal, bread, pastries etc, and our cooked breakfasts were really good - not many places can make good scrambled eggs but here they were excellent. Overall, this is not a 'destination' hotel - it's a chain next to the A1 - but it's an excellent place for a stopover. It has friendly staff, comfortable rooms and a decent pub next door. You get a hot shower, a good night's sleep and a hearty breakfast, all for a good price. Recommended."

• Travel date: 4th April 2011

Great chain, bad example- Use the Colmworth Park one next door

Reviewed 11th November 2012

"I've used premier inns before and they've been perfectly fine- usable, reliable and pretty much what you pay for. Nowhere with on-the-wall soap dispensers for the sink and shower is going to be considered five star, but as somewhere to crash for the night they serve their purpose well and the staff are usually helpful and friendly which always helps. The worst cave of a hotel can be improved by good customer service, and I should know, I've been in a few. This hotel sadly lets the chain down, and it suprised me as they've got another one right by- you'd think the competition for beds filled wouid spur them on a bit, but apparently no. That one was fine, but we booked into this one last time on a whim and regretted it. Don't make the same mistake. It had some good points and in the interest of fairness I'll mention them- the disabled-accessable room was spacioius and functional (if without a disabled-access shower) and the restaurant was nice and well-informed when it came to allergies. They also had no room-service but let us order at the restaurant and take full meals to our rooms, which worked just fine, and the menu was good. These points didn't make up for the problems we encountered though, and they can also be found in plenty of other hotels, including the other premier inn. Below are the problems we encountered. The heating was broken in two of the three rooms we booked, and though they brought in oil heaters at no extra charge they did say they had a store of heaters put by for when people had problems. If this is a recurring issue, why not have someone brought in to fix it? It's a big company and a call to head office detailing ongoing heating problems should get some attention, as it will lose them customers otherwise. Whats more having heaters put by implies they are basically waiting for complaints, which just isn't the way to run a buisiness. If certain rooms do it sometimes, have heaters in the room and tell users you are experiencing temporary issues- you needn't say it's permanent, or that it's serious, but a pre-supplied heater shows consideration and forethought which covers up for such a problem, If the problem is throughout the hotel, head office will certainly respond. Secondly (and less importantly) my mother who booked specifically asked for a room with a connecting door to the second second room she booked for my preteen brother- this they got but the door was left locked, and only opened on request. A minor problem yes but another sign of staff just not on the ball. Then they found the fuse had been tripped in my brother's room and the lights, kettle, and television wouldn't work. This was fixed quickly but again, I've stayed in plenty of hotels and fuses get blown all the time but I've never had it be left for the guests to notice a problem like that. It takes half a second to check the lights in a room whilst cleaning it and setting it up and saves a lot of face when a tripped fuse is found before the customer arrives. The most serious room issue however was with a towel in the bathroom. When I unfolded it I found a small dried clump of what looked awfully like blood on it. I was revolted, especially since it had been carefully folded so the mark was on the underside of the towel and facing the wall hinting that someone knew it was there, but mistaskes happen and I don't tend to make a fuss easily. We've all had stains that don't come out in the first wash and we don't always notice them, and folding it so it didn't show might have been a matter of chance, right? So I left it on the floor as directed when you want towels to be replaced, and said nothing. The next day after the cleaner had been I went to dry my hands and was horrified- same mark, same place, and again folded carefully so it didn't show hung up on the rack. I took the towel to the manager at the desk and complained, as you would, and she became very unhappy. She rightfully said most of the problems had been rectified quickly, which is true but a) there shouldn't have been that many problems, and b) they could all have been prevented with forethought. Then she said the mark was tiny, that she was expecting something with large amounts of blood (which is worrying she could think THAT could happen in her hotel- just how much did she think her staff would allow?) and seemed to imply it was less of a problem because it was small. Yes, it was a small mark, but it looked a LOT like blood and if I was in a restaurant and found a small rat dropping would it be less of a problem than a pile of horse manure? It would be a symptom of a serious problem with the restaurant, of poor hygene, lax standards with staff and problems with any management that dismissed it. The same applies to a small blood mark on the towels of a hotel- I do not want to be wiping my hands dry with someone elses blood. Sorry to be graphic but a small clot of blood (which is what it looked like) when wetted will smear everywhere. I have immune system problems and kids could have stayed in that room. The manager thankfully was very clear that the cleaning staff would be talked to strictly about putting dirty towels back on hangars. The only thing left to mention is that the management doesn't seem open to complaints, Hearing bad things said about your buisiness is never nice but there's a way to deal with them and a way not to deal with them, and the manager did not cope well with my bringing all this up. I told her I would be putting up this review and that I encouraged her to respond on here, to give her own view. I don't believe in not giving people a chance to defend themselfs, and I certainly don't believe in doing things behind people's backs, so I wanted to give her fair chance. I wasn't confrontational when I told her, and I genuinely wanted to give her the best chance at fairness. I accept I may have just had a very bad experience, and I know this chain is generally very good, so I extended the warning as an act of goodwill despite my misgivings. But by this point the lady was quite upset and accused me of threatening her-an impressive feat as I'm a tiny frail girl in a wheelchair. It may have come across as threatening but wasn't meant to be, so I hope she does respond to this to give people a rounded view and I hope she doesn't take my posting here as anything other than my wanting to share my experiences with others, not as an attack on her or her buisness. That having been said I'll be staying in the Colmworth park hotel from now on, and when it comes down to it i'd recommend all my friends to do the same."

• Travel date: 1st April 2011

Fantastic. Clean, spacious, friendly staff and great pub to eat next door

Reviewed 31st October 2012

"We travelled to England as a family of four staying in various places for one night only. Decided to stay at some Premier Inns as they had family rooms that were very reasonable. What a wonderful experience we had. Very clean and modern rooms with wonderful staff and a lovely pub next door which had fantastic value dinners and amazing breakfast deals. The staff went out of their way to ensure we had a lovely stay and even printed off google map directions to get us to Warwick Castle, Lovely experience. Will definitely recommend."

• Travel date: 3rd November 2010

Fantastic, can't wait to go back!!

Reviewed 11th November 2012

"Stayed here over the Bank Holiday Weekend on the £29 Premier Inn Offer with my family. We had 2 rooms and when I contacted the hotel they even arranged for us to have interconnecting rooms at no extra charge. My parents were also next door to us. The staff were so helpful and nothing was too much trouble. They helped us with maps and directions and places to visit. There was a lady on duty called Urma who was absolutely lovely and I would certainly go back to this hotel just for the staff. The rooms were huge with king size beds and had plently of room for the kids to move around, certainly in other Premier Inn's we have stayed in they have not been this big."

• Travel date: 20th September 2010

Good night guarantee? Yeah right!

Reviewed 19th November 2012

"Stayed at this hotel with my partner and her parents in two rooms over the back holiday weekend. LOCATION This hotel is not the easiest to get to. Premier Inn's website and text service give you the post code and directions to the other Premier Inn 100 yards away. So once you have unloaded your luggage to book in, you get directed accross the road. So you have to load up again and cross the road. Why have two hotels within 100 yards of each other? RECEPTION The staff on reception were not that interested and check-in took a long time. Why ask for my nationality? They also showed very little interest when it came to making a complaint (more about this later). THE ROOM By the looks of it this hotel has recently had a make over. By make over I mean a lick of paint and a new bed spread. Typical Premier Inn budget room. One room reaked of stale cigarette smoke whilst the other had a leaking soap dispenser over the bath which caused me to slip getting in te shower. No injury caused luckily. The noise pollution in the room was way above acceptible limits. The decimeter on my Iphone registered 74dB at 0130. I decided to measure the sound because there was a generator runnining outside the room 24 hours a day and a lorry decided to park up for half hour opposite the room. The nose of the lorry was so loud that I got up to check I hadn't left the window open. On closer inspection of the window the seals appeared to have been painited over causing them to perish allowing outside noise in. This was mentioned twice to reception staff who shrugged it off and promised to mention it to the manager (they never did). All of us who stayed at the hotel complained of a poor nights sleep due to noise. RESTURANT. Well, where do I start with The Crown? It's a typcal chain pub. Expensive drinks, expensive poor quality food. There were nearly 20 of us booked in for a meal on the Saturday night. The booking was made in advance so the lack of staff was no excuse. Took just over an hour for starters to arrive at the tables. I ordered the chicken tikka skewers to start. When they arrived the chicken was RAW! Does the chef not check the food before it leaves the kitchen? Following that, all food served was cooked to within an inch of it's life. I had a mixed grill and all the meat was over cooked and dry. Other members of the party complained of the same. Very young staff only add to the problems. Very poor resturant. OVERALL STAY Very poor overall stay. Would not use this hotel and resturant again. We made complaints about the rooms all over the weekend and nothing was done to rectify the problem. When we checked out we noticed the "Goodnight Guarentee" which states that if you don't get a good nights sleep you get your money back. So due to being kept awake by noise I asked about it. The receptionist said that I'd have to speak to the manager (again) who wasn't availible (again) so asked me to leave my details in their diary. So I left my name, address and phone number along with the complaints. I'm still waiting to hear from the manager. So I emailed Premier Inn via their website and asked for them to contact me as it was a complaint I was making. Again, I'm still waiting for them to contact me. Very poor customer service. But I guess you get what you pay for."

• Travel date: 6th September 2010

Average travel style hotel.

Reviewed 19th November 2012

"3 adults in 2 rooms, for 1 night. Reasonable location for Cambridge, if you have a car. Very confusing to get to the hotel, as there are 2 of them near one another. No signs on the road. Breakfast not included. DO NOT ACCEPT INTERNATIONAL CREDIT CARDS. Rooms need refurbishment. Wifi NOT FREE! (in this day and age). Very expensive."

• Travel date: 22nd August 2010

Hotel great - restaurant appauling

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"Couldn't fault the hotel, clean, good beds and tea and coffee facilities. Despite being near the A1 there was no traffic noise. However we met for a family dinner in the adjoining pub - The Crown. The food was truly awful - I would never eat there again and urge anyone to not pay the extortionate prices for overcooked and badly served food. To charge £12 for a main course and have food that tasted like cardboard is shocking. The only plus point is that breakfast was edible and good value (we wouldn't have eaten here if we hadn't already paid for it!)."

• Travel date: 1st March 2010