Bedroom 3

Good

Don't hesitate about staying here...

Reviewed 20th November 2012

"Another fantastic hotel in the Macdonald group. Excellent service, food, really enjoyed our stay. Had a great Sat and Sun night DBB deal with a free bottle of wine on arrival and a £20 voucher to spend in the MK shopping centre. Would agree with previous reviewers about staying in the main building rather than the coach house near the car park which could have been noisy as there was a wedding reception on during our stay and a lot of traffic coming and going. Despite the Sat evening disco we could hear nothing from our room so were well satisfied with the location. Local pub the Olde Swan serves what looked like very good bar food as we sat and had a drink in its garden. Would definetely stay at Parkside again if in the area."

• Travel date: 2nd July 2006

Good hotel but stay in the old main building! V good value.

Reviewed 28th November 2012

"We stayed here for one night over the Bank Holiday weekend for a romantic night away. Found the staff very helpful and service superb, the hotel quiet, in lovely location in quiet village and countryside but only 5 mins from Milton Keynes and with fantastic food. There was a special deal mentioned on the hotel's own website for May of £80 per ROOM (not person) per night including dinner, which given that the dinner set menu alone was £25 per person meant the room including breakfast was only £30 total! However, when I rang up to book it, the receptionist could only offer me higher prices and the online booking system also offered higher prices only. I emailed the hotel about this discrepancy but they took a few days to get back to me - in the meantime, as I had initially been alerted to the hotel's existence via the Laterooms site, I booked at the £80 price via laterooms instead, although the hotel did eventually get back to me with the same price. (By the way, if booking through laterooms, better do it by phone as offered wider choice of rooms/options than on their website.) The food, both dinner and huge buffet/English breakfast was fabulous and served with as much care and attention as if it had cost a fortune eg fresh bread cut at your table rather than stale rolls, etc. You also had the option of paying a small supplement over set meal to get a la carte options - for a pound or two extra, I went for an a la carte pudding which was one of the best puddings i've ever eaten, literally (a hot chocolate tart with raspberry side dish and pistachio ice cream). When you ordered drinks at the bar, a tray was bought to your table with free snacks - olives, japanese rice crackers etc etc - a nice touch. BUT - maybe because we were paying so little we got what was probably the worst room in the hotel - in the Coach House, a separate building overlooking the carpark (handy if anyone tried to steal your car but hardly picturesque). It was stuffy with a tiny window, dark but bizarrely (maybe because of the stuffiness? - I don't know but it certainly looked odd) not 1 but 10 large air vents arranged on the walls. Otherwise, the room was clean, equipped with mod cons, tea and biscuits, toiletries etc, although the tv did not work and there was no bath, only a shower. But it was adequate and at those prices I would not have complained. Where we did have cause for complaint and would advise any potential visitors to ring and request a room in the main building prior to arrival, was that the walls were paper thin - we were awoken at 1.30 am by very noisy guests in next room slamming doors (nothing on doors to revent slamming), shouting and banging and then at 7am by an alarm call for another room - which was as audible to us as if it had been our phone! Also more door slamming in the morning, making for a very disturbed night - not what I had intended as 8 months pregnant with 2 small kids who keep me awake at home, I had been relishing the opprtunity to actually get a decent night's sleep for once! So, overall, a lovely hotel, excellent value for money esp if can get one of their special offers, but try to get a room in the main building or be prepared to take your ear plugs!"

• Travel date: 2nd June 2006

Lovely Hotel, Fab Food. Recommended!

Reviewed 17th November 2012

"We stayed here for a romantic, well deserved night away from our 4 small children. Although it is in Milton Keynes (not the most picturesque of places!), it does feel like you are almost in the countryside. You could easily get a taxi from central MK, as its only a 5 minute drive. Its in a quiet location, with a pub in the village a 2 min. walk away. We stayed in room 38 - The Hathereal (not spelt right, sorry!) suite, which is the biggest room in the hotel. Although it is in the new part of the building, it doesn't feel new - Wooden windows etc. The Decor is modern/classic - Creams & muted colours, very tasteful. Our room had a DVD & CD, but the basic doubles don't have this. Bathroom has good quality fittings & was spotless. Its just such a shame that they did not put in a jacuzzi bath, as the bathroom is plenty big enough. Robes aren't provided either, which would have been a nice touch. There is a separate shower which has reasonable water pressure. We ate in the restaurant, and the food was OUTSTANDING, and really great value for money at £25 per head for 3 courses. We opted for breakfast in bed, which was on time, hot & really tasty. (£4 extra) The staff were friendly, attentive & helpful. We paid £180 inc. dinner & breakfast. This was a special rate, as they apparently are quiet on some weekends. We asked to have a look at the standard double, which was also pleasant. Spacious, but with stilghtly less luxurious decor & no DVD/CD. Still nice though. Lovely grounds. I would love to stay again & highly recommend the Parkside to anyone."

• Travel date: 21st April 2006

Best Hotel in Milton Keynes!

Reviewed 17th November 2012

"I stay in Milton Keynes regularly and have tried many hotels, ranging from the Marriott, Holiday Inn Express but this is by far my favourite, I always try to book here and so do my colleagues. The hotel's best feature by far is the staff. Sylvia on reception always provides a warm welcome, nothing is ever too much trouble and they always seem genuinely pleased to see us - its like a second home! English breakfast is cooked to order, or you can choose from the wide range of cereals, pastries, fruit etc. Dinner in the restaurant has always been great in my experience, but the bar meals are equally as good and if you are staying for a longer period, the nearby pub in the village (less than 5 min walk) also serves good food. The rooms are modern, clean, with duvets on the beds and complimentary bottled water. The only downside is sometimes the shower pressure in some of the rooms isn't great, but it's still adequate enough to shower in."

• Travel date: 19th April 2006

Great staff & handy location

Reviewed 20th November 2012

"We spent one night at the Macdonald Parkside Hotel in advance of going to Xscape (the indoor skiing/skydiving/climbing centre) in Milton Keynes. Milton Keynes itself is not an attractive place but has all the amenities to hand, which are easy to find and a short drive form the hotel. In contrast the hotel itself is an attractive place, somewhat differing from it's immediate surroundings on its approach. The staff were wonderful and nothing was too much trouble e.g. they arranged flowers to be in our room for our arrival for my wife's birthday. The room was not large but smart with the usual facilities for this grade of hotel, however, the shower was poor, which we can only assume was due to lack of water pressure. Breakfast was an excellent selection of buffet cereals/fruit/yoghurt with cooked options also, all well done and delicious. We did not eat at the restaurant in the evening but the menu looked good (with prices at the higher end). The dining room itself which is used for breakfast has nice modern decor and a good ambience."

• Travel date: 1st April 2006

Award Winning Breakfast !!

Reviewed 29th October 2012

"Lovley big rooms. Very clean and a fantastic breakfast as well. Stayed there for my weddng night and would go back and recommend without hesitation. Loved it !! Beautiful location."

• Travel date: 4th January 2006

Very pleasant

Reviewed 30th October 2012

"We stayed for a short break. Our room was on the ground floor which I normally dislike but in this case the room was very nice and had been recently refurbished and was very comfortable. We ate in the Restaurant which was a bit "twee" for our tastes but the food was good although very overpriced for what it was. We were given the option of having coffee in the lounge alongside a lovely log fire which was rather nice. Breakfast was excellent with a good choice of hot and cold dishes. The only slight whinge I've got is that there were several functions going on (at the same time) whilst we were there and the function rooms are en route to all the bedrooms, the entrances to which are off a very narrow corridor, so at times it became a bit congested. The location of the hotel is very quiet, a 5 minute drive from central Milton Keynes and there is a superb pub opposite the hotel."

• Travel date: 12th May 2005