DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol City Centre

Redcliffe Way, Bristol BS1 6NJ England

Good
( 1988 reviews)

better than described before

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"The precedent description made me quite concerned as I already booked a two-night-stay for the four of us (family) before I read this page.

After having spent a very good time in this hotel I can conciliate all readers based on my own point of view. The Ramada Plaza Bristol is a quite normal member of a hotel chain such as every Hilton Hotel would be too. It reaches the fine (and above all: steady!) standard of this kind of Hotels. I agree that it can't be compared with a individual, privatly owned land-site-Hotel, as it can't be compared with some down-town-"prisons" of a great City either...

We enjoyed the kind of luxury this Hotel offers to its guests, such as friendly and quite tastefully furnished rooms, real bathrooms with plenty of clean, hot and cold water, several towels, parking possibility on the site, rich breakfast, and so on -everything as usual in this kind hotels.

Although I have to remark that we had two different kind of rooms: The No. 335 (family room for 3 persons) was not yet refurbished and still had no air condition for chilling (but there is a radiator for heating). As the window goes in the east-direction this was no problem. The No. 425 (in west-direction) was refurbished and with a/c - excellent!"

• Travel date: Sun 30th of July 2006

Good value

Reviewed Fri 2nd of November 2012

"We booked the Ramada for Saturday with slight trepidation given the mixed reviews... we need not have worried. One of the main reasons for booking was we wanted secure parking in Bristol centre overnight which the Ramada provides.
There was a lengthy queue when we arrived at reception, but after a couple of minutes another receptionist arrived and we waited no more than five or six minutes altogether, which is acceptable.
The room was excellent, clean, a/c, complimentary bottled water, iron and everything we needed. The bed was exceptionally comfortable, with acceptable lighting for once. No noise.
Other than breakfast we did not use the hotel facilties, but we enjoyed breakfast in a pleasant restaurant with good staff. Checkout quick, efficient and courteous.
No complaints at all and stay there again."

• Travel date: Sat 29th of July 2006

Good value for money, city centre location

Reviewed Wed 14th of November 2012

"My husband and I and some friends stayed at the Ramada in Bristol in June 2006, having got a special offer from the Bristol Tourism website (£60 for a double room per night B&B).
The hotel was a short walk from Temple Meads station (about 5 minutes), and the staff on reception were very friendly and helpful. Our room was of a good size, with all the usual facilities (tea/coffee making, TV), a queen size bed, and chairs with table. The bathroom had a bath with shower, and free toiletries were provided.
The breakfast buffet was excellent, with fruit, yogurt, cereal, fried breakfast buffet and croissants. The only disappointment was the lack of cheese/ham which you often expect when offered continental breakfast items such as rolls. The breakfast room is a converted old kiln, which was very atmospheric and unusual.
There is parking available outside, for a small charge. There are plenty of buses, taxis, etc nearby too, but it is only a short walk into the heart of the city centre.
The hotel has some limited leisure facilities, a sauna, steam room, gym and swimming pool, which were free to use and well-maintained, if somewhat on the small side.
All in all a good hotel in a central location with pleasant food."

• Travel date: Sun 9th of July 2006

Not my first choice

Reviewed Thu 11th of October 2012

"The rooms where small, I stayed in what was called a twin room, this meant that two beds where set side by side so if you turned you nocked your mate in the next bed out, a lick of paint would have not gone a miss eiather, but at least the rooms where clean and the cleaning staff where friendly, as where resption. Whom also allowed us to chekin slighly earlier.

The hotel swiming pool, is a bath and the sauna and steam room are locked through the gym area so you go for a swim then walk through the gym to get to the sauna and find out someone is in there and theirs no more room. This is the same for the chanaging area which need a makor make over.

Breackfast on my first nights stay was great the food was good as was the service, on the other two morning, it was stressful, there was no monitoring of seating so guest where sitting in your seat when you went to use the self-service facilitites thats when they had not run out of food as monitor of food was poor so you often had to wait for food being cooked. Shoud I go on, so all in all this is not the best holet I have stayed in and would not recomnmend this hotel."

• Travel date: Wed 3rd of May 2006

Not as good as we'd hoped!

Reviewed Fri 30th of November 2012

"My girlfriend and I stayed at the Ramada Plaza Bristol last weekend.

At first the hotel looks dated on the outside and quite run down, however, the interior is modern.

The rooms are small, much smaller than you would expect for a 4*.

The best bit was the bed was comfortable, however, the walls are extremely thin so if you happen to have neighbours who talk you're likely to hear their entire conversation!

Having stayed in 4* hilton's, sheratons and various others I did not rate this hotel as a 4*.

Overall, the hotel was ok for a short time, had I stayed more than 1 night I would have stayed elsewhere.

I would not stay here again."

• Travel date: Sun 5th of March 2006

Great place

Reviewed Fri 2nd of November 2012

"Hotel is lovely and modern, good leisure club nice for relaxing, would definately come back, really friendly people when booked and staff nice throughout stay."

• Travel date: Sat 18th of February 2006

OK (sigh)

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"Good points.
Quite quiet (1st floor), although it was a pretty dead week. When it wasn't quiet, due to a noisy guest next door, I was moved promptly to another room for the night (although I enjoyed overhearing reception's suggestion, sotto voce, to his colleague that he would go and tell my noisy neighbour to "shut up"). Top marks to him.
Room decent size with good desk for working etc.
Location great for me arriving by train. Also good for city centre eating; just far enough to be out of the noisy pubs/bars area but not nearly so far as to put me off venturing into the city.
Staff pleasant and helpful.

Bad points.
Shower was a joke despite being one of Ramada's core 6 commitments. Shower curtain could not be used without it attaching itself to the showerer. Shower had a minimum temperature setting of "Flesh-scaldingly hot". Also featured a control knob which seemed to control volume, power, temperature all in one with random moves effecting random outcomes.
Bar poorly-staffed.
Bed seemed comfortable to sleep in but I was all but paralyzed with a bad back after two nights. Fortunately it was a twin so I swopped and bad back disappeared.
In-room entertainment choice rubbish. Fascinating documentary on flower-collecting on ITV last night though ...
Anything but cheap at £90/night.

Words of warning. The room door didn't close when I left the room unless I pulled it hard to. My fault really but you get so used to hotel doors that close tight as they swing shut. And careful if you're taking drinks back to your room in the lift: they feature deceleration more normally associated with Alton Towers."

• Travel date: Fri 13th of January 2006

Decent hotel, but pricey

Reviewed Fri 30th of November 2012

"I was not overly impressed with this hotel. I went to Bristol for 2 nights on business, and would certainly not have paid the £89 a night it cost the office to have me stay there.
The room was average, could have been any hotel anywhere in the world. It was clean, but functional rather than stylish.
The restaurant was excellent but pricey. By contrast, the room service was poor.
A big bonus was that there is a car park. It is charged separately at £2.50 a night, but parking in Bristol is a nightmare, so it was nice to know the car was nearby, and relatively safe.
I would stay here again for work, for the convenience of the location, but not for a pleasure trip."

• Travel date: Mon 10th of October 2005

Not one of the best Ramada's

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"I was doing a course in Bristol and booked a room at the Ramada for 25 nights (5 weeks not including w/e's).

After staying there the first week and returning on the sunday for the second, I had to complain that my bed linen had not been changed and that my room was smelly!! (DAMP)

I was moved to the room next door where I stayed for the rest of the duration of my stay although this room too smelt a little peculiar, on the third week I again had to go to reception and ask to have my bed linen changed. It was changed and there after every other day for my final week.

I feel that if you pay for standards then you should receive them without having to go down and ask for them.

Not one of the best Ramada's I have ever stayed at by far."

• Travel date: Wed 27th of July 2005

Good value for city centre Bristol

Reviewed Wed 14th of November 2012

"Typical corporate styled hotel. A couple of minutes from Temple Meads station. Room we had (502) was OK, smallish but clean and comfortable, but slightly tatty. Reasonably quiet at night. The Dinner B and B rate of £55 good as dinner allowance is £17 and restaurant good, although we had a slight problem with table reservations. Bar staff were not overly interested and bar surface needed wiping. Other staff pleasant especially Memhet on reception."

• Travel date: Sun 27th of March 2005

Hotels near DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol City Centre

Stayed at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol City Centre? Share your insight.

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Bristol City Centre is also called