2nd visit

Reviewed 1st September 2016

"My 2nd visit to the Talana was as good as my 1st. I was greeted by James, manager, who remembered me from last year, with a smile and "how are you and how have you been" a nice gesture after being up since 3am. I arrived very early and was able to have breakfast to start my day off nicely. The food was excellent and cooked how you wanted it; fruit juice, cereal, full English, toast and jam/marmalade followed by tea/coffee My room was clean and airy and the bed very comfortable. The en suite was clean and perfectly adequate with a bath, shower and bathroom cabinet for my toiletries. I have a dairy intolerance, which I had previously notified them about, and on arrival I was offered. goats milk and sunflower spread with my meals. Throughout my stay Ollinea, restaurant manager, took ownership of my table and discussed with me at every meal the content of the food. Very impressed and many thanks to Ollinea for her diligence. The staff are very helpful and organize taxis and trips on request. I was given great directions for the walk into St Helier on my first visit which I remembered and used daily. It takes about 20 minutes to walk and is a nice walk through Howard Davis park. The Liberty Buses run frequently with a charge of £2 per trip whether you go 1 stop or 50. I would recommend a daily ticket for £7.50 or a weekly if you are planning lots of trips. I only returned yesterday but already looking forward to spending 2 weeks at the Talana in 2017 as haven't been to any beaches yet "

• Travel date: 1st September 2016

Great value for money

Reviewed 2nd November 2012

"We stayed at the Talana for 7 days. Although it is on a busy main road, this to us was not a problem as our room was at the rear of the hotel overlooking the fields and sun terrace. On arrival we were met by Gus, the owner who is very friendly as were the rest of the staff. The breakfast and evening meals are more than adequate. Fruit juice, choice of cereal, a full English, choosing how you would like your egg, or you could have the comibination of your choice,then toast , tea or coffee. The food was served quickly and efficiently. The evening meal was a choice of two starters, the main course was different every night or you could have a salad with a choice of ham, tuna or an omelette and salad followed by a choice of two sweets or cheese and biscuits then coffee. The cost of the hotel was cheaper with half board than a lot of B & B's and if you did want to eat in any of the restaurants, you just had to tell the staff you wouldn't be there for evening meal. We thought we would eat out more, but if fact the meals were very good and we only ate out once. The rooms were cleaned daily. Our room, No. 15, was quite large and the decor was fine, what a load of nonsense some people write!! Although the pool is small, it is a lovely area to sit on a sunny day. It overlooks fields with geese, ducks and a horse. The bar is welcoming, as is the lounge with entertainment several times a week. Theres also a pool table, tv room, and fitness room, but this isn't very big. The Howard Davis Park is just a stroll away. The sea is also about a 10minute walk which takes you along by the Havre Des Pas, the swimming pool in the sea. We had a meal at Nelsons Eye, which was very good, overlooking the sea on the balcony. We tried to visit all of the Bays, so a car is recommended. Our favourites were Gorey, St Brelades and Grevede Lecq, but they are all lovely with their own personal charm. If you like real ale, there are plenty of pubs around. The Lamplighter in St Helier had a good atmosphere. The only fault we have, which is a minor one, is where our room was, the fire door was along the corridor, and smokers used to go our there and leave the door open so the smell would linger along the corridor. Apart from that, this is a great little hotel. There's loads to do on the island. We would describe is as a cross between Cornwall, norfolk, France and Devon. Some beautiful houses to be seen around the island. Would recommend Jersey to anyone."

• Travel date: 7th June 2009

Bring your earplugs!

Reviewed 25th October 2012

"Lovely people, great service and good food. But oh my.... those paper thin walls! We had Mr and Mrs Telly Addict in the room next door, not only could we hear what programs they were watching but also everything they shouted to each other over the noise of the tv. This went on till well after 11 most nights and started again at 7am- a time I didn't know existed! What sold us on this hotel originally was the no under 12s policy (our tolerance of screaming kids is nil.) So we were surprised to be woken 3 nights by a baby crying in the room below us. Sadly the under 12s rule is only for paying guests and doesn't include children of live-in staff. There were frequently children hanging around in the bar, the tv lounge or in the pool. So now we know not to believe anything we read in the glossy brochures. Apart from the perpetual tiredness we enjoyed our stay on Jersey and would visit again, but would seek out somewhere quieter to stay!"

• Travel date: 27th May 2009

Excellent Hotel

Reviewed 25th October 2012

"This was our second stay at the Talana. Our first visit was in September 2007 with a tour operator and we liked the hotel enough to return again last week for another holiday. The staff are friendly and the hotel rooms are cleaned daily - usually while you are at breakfast. You can come and go as you please during the day and the meals ( we stayed half board ) are sufficient for you to need very little else at lunchtime. This was a great advantage to us because our holiday was spent walking the coastal paths in sections. I`m not sure what people mean when they say that the decor is dated. Surely that is not something that would affect a holiday because you don`t come to do much more than sleep in your room. Every room has an en suite bathroom. These are small but adequate and there is provision for either a bath or a shower - a choice which is not always available in other hotels. Between our first and second visits to the Talana we have stayed in several other hotels on the mainland and have found that most others we have experienced do not have the same high standards as the Talana. Here you have proper table linen - not plastic or paper coverings and each course - both at breakfast and dinner - is served to you by a waiter/waitress - you do not have to serve yourself after queuing behind other guests. I would say that it takes about twenty minutes to walk into the town centre which could be a drawback for some people. However the buses do stop near the hotel though it will cost you £1 per trip even if you are an O.A.P as our mainland bus passes are not valid on the island. There is plenty of literature in the foyer illustrating the various attractions on the island and the management will even make bookings for you on request. Another service which is available and which we will avail ourselves of if we ever return to Jersey for a third time is that the management will arrange a package holiday for you online cutting out any middle man. We have been very satisfied with this hotel on both occasions we have stayed here. We would have no hesitation in returning again for any future holiday on the island."

• Travel date: 14th May 2009

Everything you could wish for

Reviewed 10th November 2012

"This hotel was a good choice and great value for money. The people who have writen previous reviews moaning about the decor I do not understand. have we all gone makeover mad? In my experience of hotels, being a Night Porter, as a lot of people are like pigs in muck anyway, why should they complain about decor. The Talana is individual, cheerful, very clean and functional with spacious rooms.The service both at breakfast and dinner-well I never known such efficiency. Food was great and you got a 4 course dinner plus tea/coffee which you'd normally have to pay extra for. The lounges and bar are delightful, really good prices too. The staff are also very knowledgeable about the island. The owner, Gus and his wife are extremely good hosts-nothing is too much trouble. I will definately visit here again. An excellent base for exploring the island."

• Travel date: 25th May 2008

friendly hotel

Reviewed 2nd November 2012

"We satyed at the Talana Hotel for four nights in July. The staff were really nice and friendly. We were disappointed by the size of the swimming pool as it was described. It was actually not long enough to swim lengths in! We ended up having to pay £5 to swim at the local swimming baths! The hotel bar was very nice and all the restaurant staff worked very hard, but I feel there could have been more menu choices rather than just one main meal choice OR a salad! I would stay at this hotel again as the rooms were very clean and tidy, but the decor was a bit old fashioned! I WOULD RECCOMMEND THE JERSEY ISLAND TOUR, BOOKABLE AT THE HOTEL RECEPTION. IDEAL IF YOU ONLY HAVE A FEW DAYS IN JERSEY - YOU SEE THE BEST BITS OF THE ISLAND IN ONE DAY!"

• Travel date: 28th December 2007

A 2* Hotel with 4* Standards

Reviewed 7th December 2012

"Just spent a week in this 2* hotel and can't wait to go back. Everything about the week was good. The welcome from the owners and staff on our arrival was very friendly and the service in every department was excellent. Our room was cleaned every morning whilst we were at breakfast and we were always left with a basket full of tea/coffee supplies. We were allocated a room on the side of the hotel away from what we were told was a 'busy' main road at the front, however, we found this road was quiet compared to where we live at home (only busy at 'rush' hour in the morning). As we were full board (at a cheaper price than many similar hotels were charging for bed & breakfast) we were doubtful as to the standard but we were pleasantly surprised, we'd expected to eat out a couple of nights but never bothered - the evening meal would be along the lines of a starter, followed by soup, then a main course of meat, 2 veg and potatoes (or omlette or salad), pudding or ice cream, cheese & biscuits and tea or coffee. My only complaint in the Restaurant was that the table linen was not changed for the duration of your holiday - you make a mess you live with it! For travelling around we took advantage of the free car hire offered by the hotel for stays of more than 5 nights, on collecting the car at the airport I was amazed to find that far from being allocated the cheapest, most basic car available we'd been given a mid range Fiesta. The only bad point was the car park at the hotel which is reached through a narrow, steep entrance and then there is space for, at most, 14 cars (but compared to many of the hotels in St. Helier at least there is a car park available). There would have been no problem in getting around the island without a car as there is a bus stop right outside the hotel. If you so wished you could walk into St. Helier although it would be a brisk 15 minute walk (much more comfy on the bus which cost £1) All in all an excellent hotel, ideal location and brilliant staff."

• Travel date: 18th September 2007

We stayed at the Talana Hotel last week ...

Reviewed 17th September 2007

"We stayed at the Talana Hotel last week and were very satisfied with it. It is a small family run hotel and offers excellent service to those who choose to stay there. You can obtain free literature and maps in the foyer giving information about all the island`s attractions and the manager will even book some things for you from the hotel. The bedrooms are comfortable though some would probably say they are dated (1970s style) but you don`t go on holiday to look at the decor. Each room has an en suite bathroom. The rooms are cleaned daily but you have to request a change of towels or table linen if required. The staff are mainly Portuguese but communicating with them is quite easy as they have a good command of our language. The meals served are English - 4 course breakfast and 5 course dinner (if you can eat them all) and the food is beautifully cooked. The service in the restaurant is excellent - as soon as you have finished one course the waitress is there to remove your plates and take your order for the next course. There is an area to sit outside and a small swimming pool - also a gym but we didn`t use any of these facilities so cannot say anything about them If there is any downside to staying here at all it would probably be that the hotel is situated on the main A3 road out of the town and can be very busy - especially on Saturday night, but you get used to the traffic noise. The other possible disadvantage would be that there are three floors and no lift. If you are not very mobile you would need to request a room on the first floor. It also takes a couple of days to find your way around but the staff are helpful and will direct you if, like us, you lose your way. By the third day we had got used to where our room was so we found our way more easily. We would definitely recommend this hotel and if we ever go back to Jersey would be happy to stay there again. "

• Travel date: 17th September 2007

A sound base

Reviewed 27th October 2012

"I have stayed here the last 2 years whilst attending the Jersey Primary Schools Football Festival and chose it for its locality to the playing fields at Plat Douy Road. The hotel is clean and tidy and its greatest attribute is the great value 5 course dinner. The staff over both years have been friendly and done everything to please.(Missed Rodik the head barman this year) The hotel is not in an ideal location for the centre of town but a great base if you are hiring a car and want to tour the island.The car park is small but adequate and more importantly free of charge. The hotel has undergone a refurbishment this year and the bar area has certainly improved since the no smoking ban came into operation. Gus (General Manager) and Paula will do all to make your stay a good one. Unfortunatly I wont be returning next year as my son has now left Primary School but I have fond memories of the Talana and Jersey and would not hesitate to recommend this as an extemely good value budget hotel"

• Travel date: 4th July 2007

VFM but dated and inconvenient

Reviewed 10th November 2012

"She who must be obeyed and I first sampled the delights of Jersey in 1976, having chosen the island as our honeymoon destination. Many years and several visits on, we still find the largest of the Channel Isles to be friendly, charming, picturesque and wholly visitor friendly. For a small island there is a wealth of available accommodation to suit all tastes and budgets. For this year's 4 night short break we chose the Talana Private Hotel from the Jersey Travel Service brochure. Flights were booked separately with Thomsonfly at a seriously cheap £36.00 return inc. As always I will offer an honest and objective view of the hotel and its attributes and shortcomings. The Talana is a 41 room private hotel situated some 15-20 minutes’ walk away from St. Helier’s town centre. Its position, on a main road is far from spectacular and the 18 car parking spaces are inadequate and extremely awkward to manoeuvre around. There is a very small outdoor pool and 2 tier terrace which is pleasant enough and inside there is a small bar, 2 lounges and cosy restaurant. Generally, we found the staff to bees pleasant and helpful but there was evidence of a language barrier with some Portuguese employees. The hotel has rooms on 3 floors and with no lift was clearly causing great difficulty for many of the mainly elderly guests, at the time of our visit. Our double room was a reasonable size and also contained a good sized bathroom en-suite. Fixtures, fittings and decor were “dated” but cleanliness was maintained to a high standard and towels changed daily, if required. The room also boasted a 4 channel portable TV, plenty of storage space and a telephone. (More about that in a moment!) The room was at the back of the hotel with no room to speak of but was, thankfully, quieter than the front aspect which was on the main road. One sour point of the stay was shared with other guests who spoke to us and is in my opinion unnecessary and pointless in this day and age. Most hotel guests have become used to avoiding using room phones due to exorbitant charges in place. On the first night of our stay at the Talana, I asked the barman where the nearest payphone was situated. He told me that there was no need to leave the hotel (though we later found that we were no more than 200 metres from the nearest kiosk). Based on the advice received I made a call from the room to friends who lived some 6/7 miles from the hotel. Jersey Telecom advised me later that the 20 minute call would have cost a maximum of 40p from a kiosk and 7p from a residential line. I was charged a massive £4.00 for the local call and was then met with the Talana’s general manager, Gus Hodgetts attempting to justify the charge stating that they made very little profit over and above the telecom provider’s charges. Personally, I find a 900% mark up unreasonable. So beware! In conclusion I must be fair and say that the hotel provided good value for money was clean and in most cases staff were friendly. The position was not good and access difficult to say the least. Would I stay here again, probably not, but it serves the purpose as a budget option representing decent value for money. Dave Evans"

• Travel date: 23rd June 2007

Hotels near Talana Hotel

Top traveller tips for Talana Hotel

• by Brenda Y

"Book half board as the meals are wholesome, healthy and very reasonably priced"

Talana Hotel is also called

• talana hotel st saviour