Radisson Blu Waterfront Hotel, Jersey

Great Choice

Reviewed Sun 20th of January 2013

"We booked a 3 night stay on a b & b basis and on arrival managed to get an upgrade to a waterfront view of the Marina.

Virtually every member of staff exceeded our expectations and were so helpful throughout our stay. Only one in the breakfast area always managed to avoid eye contact so that she was never required to give any assistance.

The bedroom was well fitted although my wife complained that her matress was dipping in the middle and we were told it would be changed....but that never happened. It did not spoil our stay.

We ate in the restaurant on three occasions and were not disappointed.

Would certainly return to this hotel for a weekend break although I would not say it was ideal if you were looking for a sun break as there is no outdoor pool or sunbathing areas."

• Travel date: Tue 22nd of July 2008

*Amazing stay*

Reviewed Wed 23rd of January 2013

"We have just come back from a wonderful few days staying at this very friendly ...very modern... very clean hotel...I cannot praise it enough...the food was also great..and we can't wait to go back... :o)"

• Travel date: Sun 20th of July 2008

A decent stay at the Radisson

Reviewed Tue 29th of January 2013

"Spent just one night at the Radisson. Having walked by the other hotels in St. Helier, I think we definitely had a good choice. The hotel is a little out of the main part of town (by the Elizabeth Castle) but not so far out that it was inconvenient to walk into town to catch a bus to anywhere else on the island. Like the last reviewer, we also had a commanding view of the car park. The room itself was relatively large and comfortable for UK standards. The TV was a little small, but fine. The bathroom was well stocked with amenities and plenty spacious. We had breakfast included in our rate and it was quite good. One thing that did annoy me was that the hotel ran a shuttle for pilots but not for other guests. That seemed both odd and annoying. We ended up taking a cab to and from the airport, but there was a van there when we got in and we were told it was for pilots and crew only.

Overall, though, a decent stay."

• Travel date: Sun 13th of July 2008

Could do better

Reviewed Wed 30th of January 2013

"Stayed at the Radisson for one week not as a business traveller but as a couple on holiday. On arriving at our room we were very disappointed with the view as the SAS website states "with its stunning views over St Aubins, the Marina and Elizabeth castle", well we actually had a view of the car park and had to pay an extra £80 for a sea view which was lovely but quite costly. This hotel, although only opened for seven months should be interested in customer feedback on websites like this or it will be a case of going there once and not returning.

There was only one tiny wardrobe for us to hang one weeks supply of clothes, no drawers to store clothes and no shower robes. Did get a shower robe after phoning down to reception and asking why there were no shower robes in the room, only to be told that you have to request these unless you are in a business class room! Also had to phone down for additional shower gel as they seemed to be very stingy with soaps, shampoo and shower gels-literally waiting until you had used the very last drop of shampoo or soap before it was replenished.

On two consecutive mornings there was no availability of certain breakfast dishes which could be cooked to order.i.e. grilled mushrooms on brioche toast and also grilled kippers. Also the staffing of the restaurant at breakfast time left a lot to be desired. One morning we sat for 20 minutes waiting for our table to be cleared of breakfast clutter i.e. juice glasses, cereal bowls and yogurt pots before we could attempt to eat a cooked breakfast, which was nothing spectacular as everything was kept warm in large heated containers, which, every time you opened the lid the condensation ran into the food!

We mentioned our concern about the lack of staff attending to clearing tables to a staff member who apologised profusely and asked if we would put our comments on a feedback sheet, which we did, but I do hope that the management team will take time out to read our comments, i.e. it is just as important to keep on top of clearing away dishes and topping up with tea and coffee as it is to have someone "meet and greet" you upon entrance to the dining room in the morning.

Before booking our holiday it was a choice between the Radisson and the Pomme D'Or-I think I know which one I will return to next year."

• Travel date: Wed 9th of July 2008

Good choice

Reviewed Thu 17th of January 2013

"The Radisson sas provided a clean modern base to stay in Jersey.

The positives are:

Comfy bed and modern room,
Good seaview if paid for.
Free car parking,
Excellent, friendly staff.
Affordable price for room over other hotels.

The Negatives:

Very small wardrobe in room with hardly any space.
Restaurant overpriced and not amazing food or ambience.
Spa area is very basic and pool cold.
None of the bedrooms have balconies which is a shame considering the closeness to the sea.
The lighting in the corridor is so bright, it looks rather sterile.

So as you can see a mixed bag, but for the price offered with the clean modern room we would return.
Just a shame the negatives couldnt be addressed."

• Travel date: Fri 4th of July 2008

Disappointing.

Reviewed Sat 19th of January 2013

"Having lived in Jersey for a couple of years my husband and I regularly travel back for a visit. We've stayed in many of the hotels and decided to give the Radisson a try as the newest to the many new hotels and refurbishments that have happened over the last 12-18 months. The Radisson is advertised as a business hotel and is certainly missing the personal touch. The rooms are clean and modern and the bed is very comfortable, however on the down side, there are no drawers in the room at all, the shower pressure is awful, (I was actually cold whilst taking a shower) and our room overlooked the car park and a building site. The mini bar charges £6.50 for one of those little 1/4 bottles of wine and £2.50 for a mini tub of pringles.

A visit to the spa was a joy, however I think the Radisson must win the prize for the smallest swimming pool and gym I have ever seen! The changing rooms in the health centre have no private cubicles, if you want some privacy you have to change in the loo, and the showers have those daft buttons that you have to keep pressing if you want the water to stay on. There was no shower gel or shampoo in the shower, just a soap dispenser with chemical smelling stuff in it.

We ate out on our first night, however had a drink in the bar when we returned, during which we were presented with a wonderful platter of complimetary mini deserts which was a great touch. The main restaurant however, which we ate in the following evening was a different story. I ordered eggs benedict to start, for £9.50 I was given two poached eggs, one of which had a split yolk, swimming in a plate of water from spinich which hadn't been drained properly. The hollandaise was completely tasteless. This was followed by mussels, for which I fully expected a lovely sauce given that I was presented with a spoon, however I was given steamed mussels without any sauce to dunk my bread in at all. A finger bowl was brought out about 20 mins after I had finished, with lumps of ice in it?! I feared I would have got frostbite had I actually used it. My husbands steak tartare was also missing the egg.

If I was staying on business this hotel would be OK, but it's not somewhere I would stay again on a personal trip. The Grand or Pomme D'Or has much more of the prsonal touch."

• Travel date: Mon 30th of June 2008

A good night's sleep in a business-orientated hotel

Reviewed Sat 26th of January 2013

"The Radisson is obviously quite new and would appeal to a traveller who values modern comforts and amenities over character and charm.
The location is quite odd; a strip of land a little bit out-on-a-limb, by Elizabeth Harbour, some 15 minutes walk from the centre of St Helier and tucked behind the local swimming baths and cinema! The area is still under development and there is building work adjacent to the hotel but this did not create a disturbance and it can only be partially seen from the landward side of the hotel. On that subject, half the rooms look towards the town and the other half look out over the harbour and Elizabeth Castle.
The level of service was fairly good throughout the stay, and the rooms were always properly cleaned though they were more functionally stylish than beautiful.
I was impressed by the super comfy bed, the peacefulness of the hotel- perhaps this is an upside of the slightly awkward location- the quality and choice at breakfast and the lovely setting of the restaurant looking out to the harbour. I was less impressed by the attention to detail in replacing used items in the room, and the fact that one has to pay a business-room supplement for items such as a daily newspaper or a bathrobe. In addition, the water pressure in the shower was below par. However, these are minor niggles and on balance my stay at the Radisson was very pleasant. I would have no problem in recommending it for a business trip, or pre-ferry stopover in St Helier."

• Travel date: Sun 22nd of June 2008

Modern 4* Hotel puts other in Jersey to Shame

Reviewed Wed 16th of January 2013

"The hotel is setting new standards for accomodation in Jersey.

The location on the waterfront with views depending on where you are of ST Aubins bay, Elizabeth Castle and the Marina.

The accomodation reflects the age of the hotel - modern, clean, fresh and comfortable. And the views are exceptional. Having stayed for 3 weeks in a row got the benefit of views of the bay and the castle in different week. If you get a coast view you will not be dissapointed.

As a business hotel it provides a good TV selection in the room on a modern widescreen TV. Free internet is a god send with a choice of wireless or wired connection.

The food in the Bar is good - disapointed when the fish had sold out but then knocked away by the Roast Beef sandwich. The only complaint was at breakfast when on at least 3 separate occasion there was only the chef in the restaurant at breakfast when it opened at 6.30.

Brilliant hotel putting the competion especially for the business traveller under pressure."

• Travel date: Sat 21st of June 2008

Great Hotel

Reviewed Tue 22nd of January 2013

"I travel to jersey regularly for business and I've stayed at many of the hotels on the island (Hotel de France, Pomme D'or).

I've stayed at the Radisson twice now. The hotel is beautiful - great restaurant and bar area. Rooms are comtemporary and spacious with high ceilings and the location is great. The service, on both occassions I was there, was exceptional - so much so that I wrote to them. Very impressive."

• Travel date: Thu 5th of June 2008

What a lovely hotel, would like to go back!

Reviewed Thu 31st of January 2013

"I really liked this hotel and it has definitely become one of my favourites.

As you enter the main reception area, everything is so open, clean and spacious. There is a huge fish tank that separates the bar area, which the kids loved!

There are ample check-in desks and the staff were friendly and helpful.

We had connecting double rooms and they were extremely spacious, clean and comfortable - the beds are definitely THE most comfortable I have ever stayed in and we spent most of a rainy day lazing about on them watching tv!

The bathroom was lovely and spotless and the shower powerful - the towels were even really big and fluffy, as corny as that sounds!

The free internet access in the room was really useful and easy to access. The view (we were overlooking the harbour) was spectacular. There was a good selection of tv channels and films. The room was thoroughly cleaned every day and hoovered - something that's quite rare!

Breakfast was amazing. There was every food you could wish for.............the usual bacon/sausage, but also boiled eggs.........a range of fresh bread, bread available to toast, lots of ham/cheese/fruit...............cereal....cereal bars and the service of tea and coffee was very efficient.

We didn't really drink in the bar much as we went out to eat every night (it was only a three night stay) but it was a lovely bar and it was nice to sit outside overlooking the harbour.

Overall, this is a lovely hotel - within walking distance of St Helier, with really comfortable rooms, even more comfortable beds and an excellent breakfast.

Next time we go to Jersey, I would definitely try and stay here!"

• Travel date: Wed 4th of June 2008

No complaints at all

Reviewed Mon 21st of January 2013

"We have just spent 3 nights at the hotel and must say that we had a very enjoyable stay. Having read some other reports regarding the service we were somewhat concerned but can only say that we had no problems at all and everything went smoothly.
We were given a marina view room which was very comfortable and flowers that I had pre ordered were already in the room when we checked in - even though we arrived 1 hour early. All the staff were friendly and we will certainly stay there again the next time we visit Jersey."

• Travel date: Tue 8th of April 2008

Glorified Travelodge

Reviewed Tue 1st of April 2008

"The absolutely fantastic staff saved our stay. However the hotel itself falls short.

We had to queue for breakfast as there are not enough tables for the residents, nor staff to clear them. There was no bacon left and tea was only finally brought once we had finished eating.

We required non feather pillows & a double duvet, a standard request at all hotels we stay in due to allergy. Unlike any other comparable hotel, the Radisson was unable to provide them. The wonderful staff did manage to find a single non feather duvet. Not ideal for a romantic weekend.

Our room had been designed in such a way that you can't see the fabulous view from the bed nor the tv from anywhere else but the bed. Despite being a very large room, there was nothing comfortable to sit on other than the bed - just loads of empty space!

This is by no means a bad hotel but once the term "glorified travelodge" came to mind the hotel did nothing to dispell the thought."

• Travel date: Tue 1st of April 2008