Great Hotel

Reviewed Sun 23rd of December 2012

"Just back from a 3 day stay at the Hotel De France in Jersey. I work in travel so in a way I was testing out the hotel and to find out more about Jersey. I had always had the impression that it was more for elderly people but it was for all age groups. Flybe managed to mislay my suitcase which was totally annoying but it didnt spoil my trip. The hotel was really helpful which helped. The spa and pool at the hotel was fantastic. We were on BB which was really good food and plentiful. Cereals, toast , fruit, cheese and full english etc. Yummy!!!! I had use of a car which gave me chance to explore the island. Beautiful beaches and lovely villages etc... The nightlife on the Friday and Saturday seemed very lively but we stuck with the peaceful restaurants scattered about. I would definately visit Jersey again and highly recommend it to anybody."

• Travel date: Thu 20th of September 2007

Nice rooms but view not guaranteed

Reviewed Thu 27th of December 2012

"Stayed for two nights in September, was in two different rooms, one at the front which had a great view over St Helier with the sea in the distance, second room was at the back and didn't have a decent view at all. Both rooms were clean, beds were really comfortable, both had tea/coffee making facilities and were of a very good size. Breakfast was buffet style but there was plenty of choice. Staff were very pleasant and there is a courtesy bus into the town centre weekday mornings which is very convenient."

• Travel date: Fri 14th of September 2007

Loved to have stayed longer

Reviewed Wed 26th of December 2012

"Having got our refund from the awful Apollo hotel up the road, my wife and I booked into the De France for an extra £50 to find ourselves in absolute splendour, complimented with most excellent attentive service.
We stayed in one of the studio rooms in the new building above the spa - superb, well worth the £30 upgrade on their standard rooms. Studios have nice balconies overlooking st helier and the sea - no table to put your breakfast on, but on requesting a table arrived in minutes!
Excellent, friendly and attentive service from all the staff.
My only comment is breakfast, in such a fine hotel one would expect freshly squeezed orange juice with breakfast."

• Travel date: Tue 11th of September 2007

A great hotel

Reviewed Sat 22nd of December 2012

"We have just returned from a 3 night stay at the Hotel de France and cannot fault it.
On arrival we were checked into our room efficiently by the friendly staff, the room was average sized and pleasant with a view over the town to the sea in the distance. The hotel is large and has a nice feel to it, the public areas are spacious but cosy and never crowded, our favourite being the Gallery bar. We had a meal in the Gallery restaurant (the 7 course menu du Terroir) and found it to be excellent - equal in standard, we thought, to the acclaimed Bohemia restaurant in town where we also had a meal that week. There is another restaurant/cafe on the ground floor which serves snacks and larger meals which was pleasant. Both restaurants have outside terraces.
The other great thing about this hotel is the pool and spa complex. It has an infinity pool, hot pool, cold pool, massage pool, and sauna (it also has a steam room, however this wasn't working while we were there.) The large massage pool is fantastic with various water jets for all over the body (foot massage, neck jets, jacuzzi etc). The whole space looks great and very contemporary with grey stonework and imaginative lighting.
We also had a massage treatment in the spa while we were there, this is above the pool area and is like walking into a cocoon of peacefulness and relaxation. The staff cannot do enough for you and make you feel very special.
The hotel is about 10 minutes walk from the centre of town and a good base for exploring the island.
Overall a fantastic stay."

• Travel date: Fri 7th of September 2007

Disappointed

Reviewed Mon 24th of December 2012

"Booked two days in the Hotel de France as a base to explore Jersey. On arrival, and having read the Trip Advisor reviews, I asked not to be given a small room. The receptionist nodded and confirmed that I had not been given one. My first room measured 9' 3" x 10' 2". I am six feet tall - that will give you an idea of how tiny the room was. The room contained a bed, a small desk and a chair. It had no view and no air conditioning. I complained and was offered, for £40 per night extra, a double room - for double read normal sized room.
The upgraded room itself was merely OK. It contained a double and a single bed. It was clean, the bed was comfortable but the room basic. No minibar, no safe and no trouser press. Small flatscreen TV that was too small to watch from the bed and a noisy portable air-conditioner that was too noisy to use at nighttime.
Breakfast was average and the only meal that I ate in the Cafe was fine with good attentive service.
The hotel has a covered car park and internet access was free and fast.
Hotel de France is located on the edge of St Helier - too far to walk into the centre but yet not overlooking the sea or the countryside."

• Travel date: Mon 3rd of September 2007

Solid hotel all round

Reviewed Sun 9th of December 2012

"Been a while since I last stayed at the HdF. Stayed a couple of times on business before and also for occasional nights out when I used to live in Jersey.

This time I was allocated a new room which was quite smart even if it only had a single bed.

Hotel has a new spa which I didn't get a chance to try but it did look good. Late bar with disco was attracting some but quiet areas also available for those who wanted to relax.

Breakfast selection was good and overall ambience of the hotel is still a main part of its draw."

• Travel date: Fri 3rd of August 2007

romantic and pampered honeymoon

Reviewed Sat 10th of November 2012

"My husband and I booked a double room at the HdF for our honeymoon (5 short days...). We were given a terrific welcome, with a bottle of sparkling wine and fruit basket laid out in our room on the 4th floor, overlooking the whole of St Helier. We thought the room was charming and the staff very friendly. Breakfast was copious and well cooked, but we did not eat in any of the restaurants, preferring to explore venues in the town instead. The hotel has an opulent, chateau-like feel to it. What gives it the wow factor, however, has to be the stone floored spa complex. The pools are fantastic. We came back from touring round Jersey every day for an hour's relaxation. You could swim and then unwind in the massage and warm pools, finishing up with a refreshing plunge into the cold pool. The only minor drawback to the whole stay was when the lifts to the fourth floor were out of order temporarily. I would definitely return here to relive some very special memories."

• Travel date: Fri 27th of July 2007

Couldn't believ this is a 4* hotel

Reviewed Tue 25th of December 2012

"Really disappointing stay - a whole week on holiday. I and a friend had booked 2 single rooms, which were small, basic and old fashioned. There was no view. We asked to be moved to better rooms, even offering to pay for an upgrade. We were told there were no more rooms available, which was untrue, the hotel not being particularly busy at that time. We were given different rooms but these were smaller and had even less of a view. I refused to move.
The Hotel de France does not want holiday makers and does not cater for them. The staff do not attempt to assist - there is no guest questionnaire regarding the stay and we were not even asked at checkout whether everything had been OK. I believe it is trying to be a 'corporate' hotel but it has a long way to go!!
The food is good but the service is not so good. The 'Gallery' restaurant takes itself far too seriously and has snooty, pompous Eastern European waitresses. Having turned up for a meal at 8pm, we were made to wait until 9pm before being shown to a table. It was 9.20pm before any food arrived! Why?? There was no-one in the restaurant, all the guests having turned up at about the same timea dn being made to wait in the bar.
My advice is 'don't bother' with this hotel. It really has no idea of what it is trying to be or achieve."

• Travel date: Sat 21st of July 2007

Very mixed room standards!

Reviewed Fri 28th of December 2012

"I booked my HDF on Active Hotels and paid £68 B&B for a single. Upon arriving I was given room 705 which I can only say was a tiny, very old, hot and depressing room. The room has no A/C and was really hot and stuffy. This was more like a 2* hotel room or a poor 3*, NOT AT ALL A 4* ROOM!

I called I asked to be moved and they said all they had was a double and wanted to charge me and extra £40. I refused and said as the room was not as advertised through Active I would like them to confirm they would refund my money so I could check out, they said they would call me back. They did call back and said this time I could have a twin room without charge. The room was much nicer and I was happy to stay the 2 nights I had booked.

I would not stay again as I felt the attitude of the staff was very poor and they have a complete mix of room standards!"

• Travel date: Wed 13th of June 2007

Nice, huge, hotel

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"I stayed here on business and my first impressions were: this is a business hotel. Quite akin to other really large hotel chains. The drive up to the hotel is rather impressive as the hotel is HUGE. The entrance lobby reminded me of other hotels - quite dated (opulent/OTT) but nice nonetheless.

The room itself was fine. I wouldn't write home about it. It was a good size and it had a balcony area, but this would only really be used by smokers presumably as it didn't have a view - was just like a small outside patio joined onto the next door one (with a wall).

The real value came from the gym/spa. That was very good - one of the better hotel gyms I've been in and deserted at 8pm when I got in from work (it closes at 8:30). It had air conditioning and plasma screens. The changing rooms are good quality and you get towels provided. I'd have preferred it if the gym was open till 10pm personally but it was good. I also used the pool the next morning. That was great. There's a larger pool (with a waterfall!) for doing lengths which for a hotel pool is a decent size. There's also a jacuzzi, sauna, steam room, baby pool and cool pool (you run through it after a sauna and it's freezing!). I thought all these things were top notch quality.

I got talking to another guest there and commented that it would be nice if the rooms were as nice as this, and was told with surprise that they were. So I guess there may be some refurbished rooms! In which case I think this hotel would be great.

I had room service dinner with one of the best chicken baguettes ever. I also had breakfast. The food was great. My colleagues dined in the bar and said it was good too.

I'd go back. It's not a 'personal service' small hotel but it's very good for one of the large ones."

• Travel date: Mon 4th of June 2007

Mixed opinions of HDF

Reviewed Sun 9th of December 2012

"Stayed for a total of 7 nights in the HDF using both single & double rooms in 'older' section of Hotel.
Single room was disappointing. Bed mattress was very soft/saggy room size was claustrophobic & standard of decoration was average. Double room was adequate in size, decoration was poor, lacked tea/coffee making facilities, no safe & average level of decoration.
Hotel facilities are excellent: Pool, steam room, sauna etc are first class in my humble opinion. Breakfast & evening dining at the hotel are also excellent.
Location is ok for access into St Helier - just a 10/15 minute walk into the center of town."

• Travel date: Sat 2nd of June 2007

first class hotel

Reviewed Thu 29th of November 2012

"I have just returned from a week at the De France Hotel. The hotel was first class. The staff mostly European was very friendly and efficient. The receptionists especially went to a lot of trouble to make you feel welcome. The Spa was a tranquil and peacefull place sadly always quiet. The breakfast buffet was extensive. I am a lone woman traveller, and have travelled a lot in UK, Europe and North America and I would not hesitate to both recommend this hotel and will definitly return sooner rather than later."

• Travel date: Sat 5th of May 2007

Hotels near Hotel de France

Hotel de France is also called

• Hotel De France Jersey