The Pontac House Hotel

La Grande Route de La Cote, St. Clement JE2 6SE

Good

Great Staff & Food !

"This hotel is clean and comfortable and a touch dated, but the deal clincher is the wonderful staff and fabulous food. This hotel is great value for money.

My husband and I have stayed here twice and will definitely be returning again."

• Travel date: Wed 1st of October 2008

a pure gem

"My Mum,Dad, my Partner, and I, stayed at this magnificent hotel
from the 26th of june until the 1st of july 2008,it was my Mum and Dad's first time in jersey, we arrived at the hotel, very friendly receptionist, and was appointed 2 very spacious and beautiful sea view rooms,breakfast was a real treat with a brilliant selection of fresh produce and prepared as required.
we had booked b&b but regreted not going half board as we dined at the hotel every evening, the food was exceptional.
there was a very relaxing pool area and loungers where you could just lie back and enjoy the beautiful weather we had all week.
great entertainment was had by the 7 highland terriers at the hotel playing amongst themselves in there very own walled garden.
overall we all could highly recommend this hotel to any age group.
and we are looking forward to returning next year.
Regards Adrian McCarthy"

• Travel date: Thu 25th of September 2008

A most relaxing break

"Have just returned from a weeks stay at this lovely hotel. Having read RAD50's review we had to comment!
We are both over 50 and couldn't agree less on the age profile. Yes there were older guests but also younger ones. To criticise a hotel over the age of it's guests is rather silly!
We were made very welcome from the off. The room had everything you needed including the seaview. My wife suffers from a back condition so the quality of the bed was very important - no complaints there.
The food was also excellent; varied menu, excellent service and the distinct impression that nothing was too much trouble.
The whole was good value for money with the free car hire a bonus. St Clement is a quieter part of the island which is why we like it (this is the second time we've stayed at Pontac House) and a lot of the guests were returnees. We would recommend it to anyone."

• Travel date: Tue 9th of September 2008

Fantastic Hotel

"Well I must say we had a brilliant stay. I have probably stayed at around 80 hotels including some of the world’s finest on business and leisure, Bellagio, Turnberry, Caledonian, Bath Priory to name a few. This was definitely one of my most enjoyable. We had a lovely clean room with a sea view (it was helped by the glorious weather) and great service from the minute we checked in. The restaurant food was great and I loved particularly trying all the different fresh fish dishes. The fact that we got a free hire car was great as well as it makes touring the island much easier – a Fiesta was comfortable and the perfect size. Well recommended we will go back!"

• Travel date: Wed 27th of August 2008

Good location but somewhat elderly clientele generally

"My wife and I booked a week at The Pontac House with the Channel Islands Travel Service (better prices than any comaprable on the internet we found!), with whom we had booked a holiday to Jersey previously and were encouraged by the positive feedback on TripAdvisor. Although the stay was pleasant enough, even at 50 years old we did feel like teenagers at times, due to the predominance of quite elderly fellow residents, most of whom had, it seemed, been going there for years and years!!
We only had one evening meal in the hotel, on our first night, having booked B&B and I am glad that we didn't book half board, as we didn't consider that the food was anything particularly special, in fact we both agreed that all of the vegetables seemed a little overly salty. However, I would say that we thought that the location was ideal as we used the buses all week with the stop being right outside the hotel (recommend getting one of the bus passes for a week, or even for three days plus a car), the staff were excellent and we did get a room with a sea view, although we had been informed originally that none was available, as a little juggling around was kindly sorted by the management. All in all a place to recommend to anyone wanting a very very quiet holiday, particularly over pensionable age, but don't automatically book half board."

• Travel date: Wed 23rd of July 2008

Great Hotel,

"We were in Jersey for a wedding during August and stayed at this lovely hotel. It is situated on the coast and has wonderful views over the sea. Our room was in excellent condition and very large and comfortable. The service and food were also top notch. I would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Jersey and would not hesitate to stay there again myself on our next visit."

• Travel date: Fri 30th of November 2007

Jersey's Best Kept Secret

"As a regular visitor to Jersey and having stayed at various hotels, finding Pontac House was a fantastic piece of luck. A small, quiet hotel, accommodation first class, food superb. Management and staff attention, nothing is too much trouble. Here guests are people not just a room number. Ideally situated in a quiet area with fantastic views over the sea, a seaview room well worth the extra and no problems with traffic noise even though situated on the main coast road. This is a very friendly hotel and comes with the added bonus of free car hire for the duration of your stay. I have no hesitation in recommending the Pontac House for a first class holiday. I have already booked to return again next year."

• Travel date: Sun 21st of October 2007

The Place to Stay

"The Pontac House is a great place to stay whilst in Jersey. It is located on the south coast of the island at St Clements, and has wonderful views overlooking the beach. I have visited the hotel on at least 9 occasions since Nov 2004 and have had wonderful experiences there on every trip. The hotel does have a road infront of it which affords excellent bus services to St Hellier, but the noise from passing traffic I found was not too obtrusive.The rooms are excellent, all have great facilites and most have a sea view with balconies, a great place to sit out in the afternoon and enjoy the panoramic scenery.The staff here are all extreamly helpful, and friendly, in particular the resturant manager who I found to be excellent at his job and very attentive. The food is without doubt the best in the island, with a 5 course dinner as standard and full breakfast included in the 1/2 board price. This incidentally also includes a Hertz Hire car which is arranged on a voucher system by the hotel, and is available on your arrival at Jersey Airport. The car is a great saving and a nice touch as it affords you access to the whole of the island, there is a lot to see so I found it invaluable. The hotel itself is very clean and tidy with an excellent resautant and bar, all of which have a warm and cosy atmosphere. A great place to relax, unwind and make new friends. In short, no complaints, excellent facilities, great friendly staff and great food...what more can anybody ask for?. Well done all!!."

• Travel date: Wed 17th of October 2007

Relaxing Stay?

"After reading reviews on this site about the Pontac House Hotel we decided to book for 4 nights. We were offered a very good deal with half board and free car hire, paying only for insurance, taxes and fuel on arrrival.

I had requested a quiet room over looking the sea and so was a little surprised to be shown a room on the ground floor next to the fire door which all the other guests along the corridor had to pass through. Also as we entered the room I could smell what could only be described as a musty or doggy aroma. I did request another room which I was offered on the top floor over looking a 'country view' which wasn't particaularly inspiring so settled for the room on the ground floor.(In hind sight maybe the country view room would of been better) In fairness they did try and mask the smell with shake & vac but this tended to subside during the day.

Our balcony faced the wall of the snooker room so the seaview was obscured, as it was October and we were not hopeful for any decent weather I didn't think this would be an issue although as the week progressed the weather was superb and so the view was somewhat spoiled when sitting on the balcony. However the main problem we experienced as mentioned by other guests whilst there was the surprising amount of traffic on this coastal road, considering it was out of season, the hotel is situated on a junction and bus stops either side of the road (which I realise would be very useful for some guests) but the traffic was relentless all day and no pleasure to sit out on the balcony as it was just so noisey. I would recommend that anyone booking here in future requests the topfloor or the'country view rooms'.

The owner of this hotel is extremely friendly and professional as were all the staff we encountered with the exception of the Head Waiter which we found to be too familiar with guests, patronising and on occasions quite rude.

The food here is generally fine, some evenings we preferred better than others but that was personal choice. The wine is reasonably priced but if you're looking for a romantic intimate meal you won't find it here as the tables are very close together.

Jersey itself has alot to offer, we really enjoyed our visit to the Durrell Wildlife centre and the War Tunnels which I must admit I didn't think I would find that interesting but they were. We were disappointed with our visit to Mont Orgueil Castle at Gorey, very over priced for what it was. St Aubin has a quaint harbour and so much more to see on the isalnd which is all within easy reach."

• Travel date: Mon 8th of October 2007

Very good

Good

"Spent a weekend at this hotel in July and was very impressed. We had a sea view room with a balcony, and had a great view of the ocean. The staff were excellent & we would definitely stay at this hotel again.
The bus stops directly outside the hotel and is a short journey into St Helier, so getting around without a car is very easy.
I would recommend taking the Island Explorer bus - £6 for the whole day, unlimited journeys, and you will get to see alot of the island.

We enjoyed our whole experience in Jersey - clean, felt safe and will definitely return."

• Travel date: Mon 13th of August 2007

Hotels near The Pontac House Hotel

Stayed at The Pontac House Hotel? Share your insight.

The Pontac House Hotel is also called