The Old Government House Hotel & Spa

Good

Nice Stay but ...............

Reviewed 20th November 2012

"We stayed in the OGH on December 8th 2006 - the same night as the Cable and wireless Christmas party in the function room below us. The hotel had already pre-warned us proir ro our stay and left a letter stating that there was a party on and a voucher for complimentry tea, coffee or soft drinks - a nice gesture. But, they also stated they had tried to position guests not at the party away from the venue room and in our case this didn't happen and the noise was awful ( I can tell you the last slow dance song was Robbie Williams - Angels !!! Unusual choice for the DJ. I thought as it is usually a funeral song !!! ) Room was really clean, nice soft bed, plenty of products in the bathroom, chilled free mineral water. It is now valet parking which is a bit of a pain - quite slow and awkward process. Would stay again and use the spa facilities which looked great but, not during the Christmas party season."

• Travel date: 14th December 2006

Loved it!

Reviewed 18th November 2012

"Just returned from a weekend break at the OGH. We had a standard room with king size bed - really comfortable. Dinner was fantastic value (Tennerfest -local food festival) in comfortable, atmospheric brasserie. However the breakfast was the clincher - wonderful quality food - fantastically cooked Engish Breakfast, fresh fruit, pastries, hams etc accompanied by a fantastic views of Herm, Sark, Alderney and France through the picture window. And good attentive service. It was a real pleasure as we have looked for similar hotels on mainland UK but have been disappointed. Superb!!! We didn't want to leave."

• Travel date: 8th October 2006

Great Service, Great Food, Great Value

Reviewed 6th November 2012

"We have just returned from a 2 day 'Romantic Break' at the OGH and have nothing but praise for this splendidly run hotel. The reception staff were friendly and helpful. Harry the Customer Services Director happily lent me a pair of cuff links and the whole atmosphere was informal, relaxed and friendly. The public rooms were decorated to very high standard, having recently undergone a £2.5m refurbishment and the Brasserie, Terrace, Breakfast Room and Lounges had splendid views and were a delight. Food was good and plentiful and of a very high standard. The young, mostly Eastern European staff were highly trained and extremely helpful. Corridors and staircases were less attractive and betrayed the hotel's traditional 'grand hotel' origins. The bedroom itself was huge, comfortable and well equipped in a traditional style, with a large balcony and fantastic views of Sark, Herm and the harbour. The break which included a complimentary bottle of champagne and canapes on arrival, dinner in the amazing fine dining restaurant, a champagne breakfast with smoked salmon and strawberries, a free hire car or bicycles and use of the spa and fitness suite, was astonishing value and we can't wait to book again. Many thanks OGH for a delightful ‘5 star’ experience."

• Travel date: 11th August 2006

Better than the criticism

Reviewed 3rd November 2012

"After reading some of the earlier reviews, I was apprehensive about staying at OGH. The building is historic, service is friendly and the rooms are well furnished (and unlike many other hotels on the Channel Islands, clean) with excellent bathrooms. Food and breakfast was a little bland, especially the choice of buffet at breakfast and the quality of the cooked breakfast. Gardens though are lovely, especially the view across the harbour and out to Sark, and the small swimming pool is clean. The hill down to St Peter Port is not as steep as first seems, especially if you take the gate out of the hotel at the bottom of the garden. Only complaint I had was that there was no room service breakfast before 7am if you have an early flight out (although there is a good cafeteria at Guernsey airport) and the fact that there are so many corridors that you constantly get lost going to your room. I would stay there again, although it is a little pricy for what you get."

• Travel date: 15th August 2005

Not what it once was ....

Reviewed 3rd November 2012

"In the 1970s I used to come to Guernsey and the OGH as a teenager and remember it very fondly as a grand hotel of the old school. But what a change we found when I revisited for a short break with my young family in late May. We had the St Peter Port Suite – nominally the best suite in the hotel - the room comes with a huge balcony that must be 10 metres by 6 metres. What can I say – the view is fantastic, but then even this poorly run hotel couldn’t mess with that. The balcony had not a single item of furniture, when we asked for something to sit on a few items that had obviously been stored as “in need of repair” were produced. The sofa bed on which our children were to sleep was broken – and was replaced late at night with another broken sofa bed which at least functioned as a bed, if not as a sofa. Tea for two was routinely made with five tea bags and breakfast was an eye opener with toast which gave the impression of having been pre-prepared then microwaved before serving. Scrambled egg with “mushrooms” came with half of just one mushroom! The staff seemed enthusiastic but young, inexperienced, under trained and there was no senior management of any kind visible at any time. I believe the hotel must survive on conferences and similar functions from the huge number of local financial institutions. Not a place I would choose to stay for a family holiday again."

• Travel date: 3rd July 2005

Guernsey is Amazing

Reviewed 6th November 2012

"We stayed at the OGH aka the "Old Girls Home" with our two children and a set of granparents. It was beautiful and lovely and we enjoyed every minute. We had a meal plan so we ate breakfast and dinner every day at the hotel and it was a little stuffy, but the food was good and everyone was very, very nice. We hired a sitter for the children during dinner who worked days at the front desk who was adorable. We LOVED Guernsey and the cliff walks. It was a trip of a lifetime and the OGH just helped make it an amazing experience. We think the Channel Islands are the best kept secret in the world and would go back in a minute."

• Travel date: 21st June 2005

A superb Romantic Break

Reviewed 9th November 2012

"Just spent our 25yr wedding anniversary at the OGH and it was superb. Booked the Romantic Break package which was full of treats and we were not disappointed. Accommodation, food and service were all excellent. It was a truly 'fine' experience."

• Travel date: 23rd April 2005

ok

Reviewed 29th October 2012

"This hotel is supposed to be the best on the Island and I belive it is the best of a bad bunch. With the wealth this Island has I am amazed there are no 5 star places to stay. The OGH is ok but the rooms are very diffrent and some are of course better than others it really is pot luck, the saving grace is its spa and health area which is at least upto date. The messages at the Beuaty in the East are also very good."

• Travel date: 17th April 2005

Old indeed

Reviewed 9th November 2012

"Stayed at the OGH after hearing good word-of-mouth, but I was disappointed. The radiator didn't work, so I was basically living in the Sahara the entire time. The help didn't seem too interested in much, maybe they're jaded. Nice place for a stroll to St. Peter Port, but not my first choice for lodging in Guernsey."

• Travel date: 22nd December 2003