Best Western Hotel De Havelet

Could Not Fault

Reviewed Mon 4th of February 2013

"We selected the De Havelet Hotel after considering and reading many hotels reviews - we did not make a mistake in selecting this Hotel.
This is a very good quality 3 Star Hotel - well above the average. We found the staff very friendly, attentive and professional. We were very pleased with serrvice and quality of food served in the dining room.
We found the Hotel to be very clean, and though the decor and ambience may not suit young people, it created a warm and friendly environment.
Room was very large and comfortable as was the bathrooom, though that showed signs of tiredness - a minor issue.
Overall we were very pleased with our stay at the De Havelet, good food, pleasant surroundings and a friendly atmosphere, would be very happy to recommend - the hilly location did not bother us."

• Travel date: Mon 17th of November 2008

A great few days

Reviewed Fri 1st of February 2013

"My friend whose family have been visiting this hotel for many years held her wedding reception at this hotel in June. We had fantastic weather for the four days we were in Guernsey. The hotel is beautiful overlooking the sea and castle. The food is very good and of a high standard, rooms are spacious and comfortable and the staff go out of their way to be helpful and friendly.

I would definately recommend this hotel as it is near the main town of St Peter Port and is very comfortable with a pretty setting. There is an indoor swimming pool with Jacuzzi and sauna for the guests to use."

• Travel date: Fri 24th of October 2008

Good hotel - dated rooms

Reviewed Mon 21st of January 2013

"I stayed for one night at the "De Havelet" hotel which is situated up a hill over-looking Castle Cornet and Herm Island.

If you have a hire car then the "De Havelet" is extremely convenient as parking is ample and there are also spaces on the street usually available.

First impressions are excellent with lovely views and a well-maintained complex around a grand Georgian house, with colourful flower pots and borders which are obviously well attended.

As with many hotels on Guernsey, the price of £105 which I paid for a "standard" room was over-priced. Also, as with many "Best Western" hotels, the rooms now look dated and need refurbishment, especially for the price.

The hotel has an indoor pool and the breakfast that I had the next morning was really good with a highly recommended cooked breakfast and substantial buffet table available.

Overall this hotel is 3 star grade at 4 star prices. If the rooms are refurbished then this would be a really excellent hotel as the staff are friendly and the located is exceptional."

• Travel date: Thu 31st of July 2008

A Special Place..........

Reviewed Tue 22nd of January 2013

"We stayed here in May, and it was our 5th visit; we've already booked to go again next year. Without doubt, it's one of our favourite spots. And not just for us....we regularly meet up with people here who, like us, are regular repeat guests at this hotel.

The hotel itself is in a Georgian Mansion. It has historical connections with the Duke of Wellington and Napoleonic times, and the overall decor is meant to reflect that. While I recognise that this may seem a little dated for some people, for us its period features are perfect, and my wife and I would be very saddened if it ever changed.

The rooms are in the course of being tastefully refurbished and are generally much better presented than many 3-star or even 4-star establishments. The standard of cleaning, and the garden maintenance is in my opinion, exemplary. Yes, some of the furniture in the public rooms is a little quirky, but there are also some very good quality, genuine, antiques.

We normally book on the half-board option. I have to say that both the breakfasts and dinners are excellent: good quality food; nicely cooked and presented; and served by attentive and friendly staff who are a credit to this hotel; and the view from the restaurant is stunning - over Castle Cornet and out to Herm.

The hotel (indoor) swimming pool is an absolute delight and in warm weather can be opened up for access into the garden and patio areas. The gardens have just been re-designed and now provide a flagged alfresco dining area which will no doubt be a delight in summer.

Our overall opinion on this hotel is that it is well run and well managed and we count ourselves very lucky that we chose this one on our first trip to the Island. And as to Guernsey? Beautiful, not too commercial; unspoilt; and like England used to be."

• Travel date: Sun 13th of July 2008

Needs updating

Reviewed Wed 2nd of July 2008

"I selected this hotel as it was near St Peter Port. However I did not realise that it was on the top of a very steep hill which wasn't very practical.

It took a while to find it as according to the map we got with the car it seemed on a one way street. In fact the street become a 2-way street just before the hotel so you either had to access the one-way network some way off or drive up a very steep hill from the town side!!

The hotel itself is in a large house. The room we had was very dated/old fashioned but it was very clean. The bathroom was fine - I think this may have been changed only a few years ago. The 2 restaurants were also a little dated and I suspect have not been changed for many years.

We heard that the food in both restaurants was very good. However both seemed to have menus which consisted mainly of grilled steak or fish with which you have to pay extra for potatoes (ie chips!) and any veg/salad. As we were not staying half board we did not bother to try the restaurant.

As we had visited Guernsey last year we had found a very nice pub called The Deerhound. This is near the airport but you will find everywhere in Guernsey can be reached in about 15mins!!
The hotel pool is nice and they try and look after the grounds.
The staff were also very pleasant.

I would recommend this hotel for anyone who had access to a car due to location on a steep hill and also I don' t think there was a bus stop nearby unless you walked down into St Peter Port.

If you have time, spend a day on Herm island. It is beautiful!"

• Travel date: Wed 2nd of July 2008

It was better than being on holiday!

Reviewed Mon 14th of January 2013

"The hotel is situated a few minutes' walk from the compact town centre, although it's quite a steep climb up.

All the staff seem happy and to genuinely care about the guests, something I would attribute to good management, often a rarity these days. This is probably the hotel's best feature.

My room was large and well appointed, extremely comfortable and with a full size bath, plenty of work and cupboard space, a small fridge, and tea and coffee facilities, and plenty of electricity outlets.

I stayed here for 10 days on a business trip. I had to keep reminding myselt this was work and it was an absolute pleasure to be a guest here.

The food in the three restaurants is so good and varied that there was very little incentive to go out in the evenings, a pity really.

A couple of very minor niggles. My ground floor room faced an interior courtyard with a walkway round it which could be quieter, I suspect that the foundation on which it is built is wooden and not very solid.

The free wifi network is very slow sometimes. I was told it is due to be upgraded. I would prefer to pay a small fee for a faster network as at times it stalled completely, making work impossible meaning I had to go out for long walks along the cliff paths or to the bar, so maybe not a bad thing after all!

I've already booked, and am looking forward to, my next stay here."

• Travel date: Sat 29th of March 2008

Lovely Hotel

Reviewed Tue 25th of December 2012

"We took the last room available and was initially dissapointed that it was the attic (cottage style) bedroom but it turned out to be quite spacious, very clean, trouser press, tv, fridge, tea/coffee making facilities and nice bathroom. Staff very professional but very friendly. Breakfast was excellent , even the room service breakfast arrived dead on time, piping hot and fresh flowers on the tray. Lovely location, can walk down hill to the front and back up again if you are fit and healthy otherwise you may struggle to get back up! Really glad we booked in for our last two days on Guernsey."

• Travel date: Sun 16th of September 2007

don't eat the table d'hote

Reviewed Sat 1st of December 2012

"I stayed at the Hotel De Havelet in late February 2007, the accomodation was booked for me through a travel management company. My room was lovely, all the staff were helpful and pleasant and there were some fantastic views from the restaurant. However the table d'hote food was terrible - a seafood mayonnaisse to start with no mayonnaisse, dried up lamb as a main course, but the clincher was the dessert - this was descibed as blacberry and apple pie with custard. If 2 sponge flan bases filled with black cherry and apple pie filling, served warm with custard could be so descibed.
On departure i saw the manager and said how nice i thought his hotel and his staff were, but descibed my meal in detail to him - he said the hotel has an excellent reputation for food but did not comment on any of the complaints.
lovely place to stay but eat elsewhere"

• Travel date: Tue 20th of March 2007

Great for a Tennerfest break

Reviewed Mon 19th of November 2012

"Very enjoyable stay; although the bedrooms are a little tired, the rest of the hotel is in keeping with the slightly old fashioned theme. However the indoor swimming pool is newish, clean and warm, essential for an autumn break.
The staff, of many nationalities, are very pleasant and helpful.
The grill and restaurant are good, and very good value for money during the Channel Island's 'Tennerfest'; we ate a excellent three course meal + coffee for £12.50 each.
Although there is a steep hill down to the town, the hotel runs a courtesy bus several time a day.
We enjoyed our stay a great deal and plan to return."

• Travel date: Sat 28th of October 2006

An enjoyable holiday at the Hotel de Havelet in Guernsey.

Reviewed Tue 6th of November 2012

"Overall the hotel was average or above- it was let down by its furnishings which were 'tired' and felt very 'seventies'; there was a general need for refurbishment in the bedrooms and bar. However, the level of service from all staff was excellent and the food was extremely good. Also, it was clean- we would certainly stay there again even though the decor was in need of attention!

The leisure facilities, though small, were adequate and very relaxing. We spent a week there in October and were able to enjoy them fully, but I would imagine that during the summer months when it's really busy, they're too small to enjoy properly.

The hotel is a short walk into St Peter Port but all routes into town are 'uphill' on the return journey! Beware anyone who doesn't enjoy walking! (The Cock and Bull pub, with real ales, was a good 'resting place' half way up the hill!)

We only had one evening meal in the hotel as 'Tennerfest' was on during our visit and we preferred to try different eateries each night- we were delighted with the range of restaurants available in the town- something for everyone's tastes!

We had never been to Guernsey before but found it was a brilliant holiday destination- loads of wonderful coastal walks and places of historical interest- we can't wait to return next year!"

• Travel date: Mon 28th of November 2005