Waterpark at the Royal Dragon Hotel

Keep away!

Reviewed 30th July 2014

"This is the first time in my life writing a bad review, but I am so annoyed and disappointed about the terrible experience we had at this Royal Dragon hotel, i am writing this to share and warn others. We paid €6000 for 12 days vacation at the Royal Dragon for our honeymoon. My wife fell ill and had to have her appendix removed 9 days into our holiday. We were very nervous but the staff at the hospital were fantastic and it all turned out ok. I cant say this for the Royal Dragon hotel. They were horrible. The doctor said my wife would not be well enough to fly until 5 days after the operation, so we would miss our flights home. I had arranged with the hotel that our stay would be extended and that our insurance company would be in contact ASAP to pay. I visited to the Royal dragon hotel reception before going to the hospital and asked them to have a wheelchair ready for my wife when the ambulance dropped her off. They told me i would need to collect it myself from the basement floor when she arrived and that it would cost €10 a day to hire! Bear in mind this is supposed to be a 5 star hotel and we have paid €6000 for our honeymoon here. I was very disappointed but went to the hospital to collect my wife. We got back to the Royal Dragon hotel and my wife was tired and in a lot of pain so we were anxious to get to the room so she could lie down, rest and take her medication. We went to our room door and our room keys would not work. Guess what ...they cancelled our room keys as payment had not come through from the insurance company yet. I got to reception and was told we could not have our room if we did not pay up there and then. I telephoned our insurance company and they said they had been in touch with the Royal Dragon to tell them they had wired money, but Royal Dragon would not let us back into our room until the payment came through. This was not even 1 star service....they did not even have the decency to allow my sick wife, me and our two young children go to our room while the payment was sorted. Yes this was our honeymoon! I told the manager this was outrageous and he actually shouted at me ... "No pay no room". He did not have much English but this is all he could manage, and yes he did shout at us. This was the senior front desk manager. Not a supervisor, not an assistant manager....THE guy in charge. We had to wait in front of reception for over 1 hour, my wife in a wheelchair, tired and in pain, our infant and other child, until the insurance payment came through. My wife was in tears appealing to them, but they could not care less. I would strongly recommend anyone against staying at this hotel. You cannot rely on them. If you have a problem hardly any of them speak English. Money is all that matters. This was without doubt the worst customer service and worst hotel experience we have ever had. I do a lot of traveling all over the world with my work as an IT consultant and i have stayed in 4 and 5 star hotels across Europe, Asia, Africa. I can say without doubt this is the worst experience i have had in 17 years of vacations and travel. There is a lot of choice in Turkey and other destinations and i advise you to stay away from the Royal Dragon and look elsewhere. Feel free to email me if you require info"

• Travel date: 23rd July 2014

TRULY FANTASTIC - WORTHY OF 5 STARS

Reviewed 27th October 2012

"Fantastic, Fantastic, Fantastic. This pretty much sums up this place. We stayed at the Titanic in Lara the same time last year and this absolutly beats it hands down. On Arrival we were given welcome cocktails. An hour after being in the room we were offered an upgrade to a junior suite. 2 floors, 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and a Jacuzzi in the room. Day 2 we received a fruit platter and bottle of wine!. The food in the main buffet restaurant was out of this world. So much to choose from. There is even a kids area. The Chinese and Italian restaurant were also fantastic. Mainly Romanians, Germans and Russians at the hotel so the English are definately the minority. However you are not treated any differently, in fact they like hearing English voices and enjoy practicing their English. The staff everywhere were very polite and helpful. The entertainment team were amazing. Some of the shows they put on were worthy of London Theatreland (The Lion King show was second to none). A couple of the shows were a bit poor, but generally a high standard. My 3 year old loved them and enjoyed the mini disco before hand. Funfair is fab and open twice a day. This place is totally spotless. The staff work so hard. All in all a fantastic holiday. Feel free to email me if you want any more info as there is so much more I haven't covered."

• Travel date: 22nd June 2009

Fantastic Hotel!

Reviewed 7th November 2012

"Great hotel, everything you would expect from 5 star. Could not fault anything at all. Kids had great time. Food fantastic. Would recommend!"

• Travel date: 5th June 2009

fantastic 100% perfect and will definitley return

Reviewed 20th October 2012

"this by far deserves its 5 out of 5 marks We went for a week mix party 60 /38/38/12/10 and we all didn't want to leave. Rooms were real luxury and mini bar is topped daily hair dryer provided and shampoo soap conditioner & shower gel tv with bbc news fresh towels provided daily. Food excellent always such a choice and spoilt for choice for with deserts! Fresh fruit and ice cream too. Everyday for lunch we sat in the beach restaurant which has a selection of food to chose from and that was waiter service. Around the pool area they are bars with a good selection of alcohol drinks/non alco drinks for children fizzy and cold bottle water tea coffee etc. Cakes and icecream/rolls/doner kebabs/jacket pot are offered throughout the day at different times. Towels are also provided daily for around the pool area. Entertainment was excellent too - variety every night and then you could go down to the beach bar for either live music or disco by the entertainment team. Throughout the day also various things are on offer darts with a twist/belly dancing/water exercise etc. Funfair and Aqua park opened every day at certain times which were great fun and children never got bored. Nothing to fault about the hotel whatever. We were all sad to leave and have vowed to return in the near future. Mainly German guests however staff do speak English and are always willing to help you. Also recommend the Turkish spa that we booked with Thomas cook its about 5 mins away and excellent value for money - also the jolly roger excursion complete day of sunbathing with plenty of stop offs for swimming."

• Travel date: 2nd June 2009

Perfect AGAIN!!! ROYAL DRAGON THE REAL FACTS!!!

Reviewed 3rd November 2012

"We stayed at the royal dragon hotel in Side last May just after it opened. The first stay was perfect. We were given one of the top floor rooms which had two floors. 1st floor had shower room and sofa are with TV etc, 2nd floor had another shower room, double bed and desk area - both floors were very spacious. After reading reviews saying that people had been disappointed that they had not been offered wecome drinks on arrival I was supprised. First of all on our first visit we were not offered welcome drinks but were offered food as we had arrived late, the moan about welcome drinks is a petty problem as there is a mini bar in the room which is restocked daily and totally free, if you feel you have to complain about this the hotel can't be that bad. On our second visit we were given welcome drinks. As for the main language spoken by the staff is German is correct but most of them understand English and can speak the main parts quite well. We definatly didn't feel ignored in fact we found the staff enjoyed speaking to us more as they don't see many English at the hotel, it was also fun saying "hello England", "lovely Jubly" and "good Ol Job". We found on both occassios the staff were very helpful and friendly. Drink refills were brought to us as soon as we had finished our drinks when sitting in the lobby area. On our second evening we were getting ready for tea when there was a knock on the door. It was a member of staff who had brought us a full fruit bowl, bottle of wine and all the trimmings as it was our second visit. The staff are brilliant with the kids and make a huge effort to entertain everyon during the day. I spent a hour a day shooting at a target with an air rifle (one of the free daiy activities) with one of the entertainment team members, we both got quite competitive lol. The water slides are great fun, the blue and green slide is around 30 feet. As for the food bug it is probably unfair to suggest this was due to the food. On both visits the food was always hot, with a good variety. They had a good selection of salads and fruit also. I'm not the most easy going of eaters but I have to say the food was very good. The one thing to bear in mind is that the food is never going to be as good as the food you cook at home as they cook food differently - where ever you go..... We were asked to fill in a questionaire at the end of the holiday. This covered all areas of the hotel. In the suggestions section at the end the only thing we could think of is courtessey rooms as we would have liked to have a shower before our flight. We were told they had been asked this alot and there was now showers we could use downstairs. I run my own business and focus on customer services, for the hotel to listen and act on what people want is a refreshing change as most places wouldn't really care!!!!! To finsh what has already been said me and my girlfriend are looking to book again for May 2010 for her birthday and have invited her parents and close family. We are confident they will have a good time as we have had TWICE already. Happy Holidays! Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions/photos [email protected]"

• Travel date: 28th May 2009

A perfect place to stay, if only the service was better!

Reviewed 28th October 2012

"As our coach approached the Royal Dragon Resort fellow passengers could be heard: 'Ooo thats posh.' 'Now that's a nice hotel' along with other such statements. I have to say I agreed with their first impressions. The hotel is very nice to look at the building itself is beautifully designed and takes the Chinese theme to heart. Red is the main colour of decor, Chinese style lanterns, dragons and Chinese temple style roofs all add to the theme. We were a family of 6 travelling together, Grandma, Mum with 1 year old Son, 9 year old daughter and one on its way (due in June), and 2 single Aunts. We arrived in the early hours of the morning so after checking in were off to sleep for a few hours; although I should mention we did not receive any welcome drinks unlike a fellow traveller mentioned in their review. Our rooms were very nice. The beds were very comfortable, ensuite and a nice view of the resort. We found our cleaners arrived promptly every morning and did a good job of keeping up the cleanliness. The resort itself is ideal if you have young children as our reviewer below mentions (hello by the way we're the nice family from Birmingham) the aqua park, flumes and luna park keep them busy all day. Did I mention we met a lovely family from Glasgow! : ) The animation team are excellent they are around all day organising activities not only for the children but for adults too from crazy darts to bowls on the beach. They then get ready to entertain us after dinner with a musical extravaganza. I quite enjoyed the entertainment, granted it's a bit cheesy but the animation team are all lively dancers and you know there's nothing wrong with a bit of cheese now and then. If you love musicals you'll be happy. I would like to agree with everyone about Marco he is a good dancer but along with him I think Theo, Nikolas and Ilyana deserve mention. They were all very friendly and worked hard to make us feel welcomed. They were all also excellent with the children who felt like groupies to the famous in their company!! Food is served all day long and there is a good range. From the main restaurant to the a la carte restaurants - you can have one free meal per week from the a la carte after that you pay. Outside by the pools you will find other food booths serving kebabs, baked potatoes etc. There is also a quaint little hut were 2 Turkish ladies sit all day making crepes - Turkish style. You can choose from a number of sweet or savoury fillings. That was the good stuff. Now the rest...unfortunately I agree with my friend below. The service left a lot to be desired. Most of the staff had a better command of German than English and this resulted in you feeling somewhat ignored by them. They came across as abrupt and rude. The reception desk staff were cold and unhelpful. This did put a damper on what was initially a good holiday. Toward the end of the holiday we caught the bug that afflicted our friends below. I and my pregnant sister caught it first. Next the one year old caught it and it took him a good week of rest back home to recover. We also spoke to the doctor (and it is unfortunate that he cannot speak English) who prescribed us medicine. Unfortunately our 9 year old and my other sister began vomiting an hour before we were to catch our coach back to the airport and were sick all the way back to the UK, not a pleasant experience. We were not the only ones to catch the bug. We spoke to a number of people who had also caught it. We are not sure how it was being transmitted but it did spoil the holiday. Staff were unsympathetic and unconcerned to the extent of asking my unwell sister to refrain from lying down on a sofa in the lobby. I did notice that food was repeated from lunchtime at dinner time perhaps it was not heated up properly, I can't say for sure. Hotel staff refused to accept that their guest's illness was any of their concern. I would also like to thank the Thomas Cook staff on board the plane who were very kind to my sister who was quite unwell on the journey home. It was a relief to have a sympathetic ear after the stressful journey we'd had to the airport. All in all the Royal Dragon Resort has a lot going for it but is let down by its staff (apart from the animation team) who come across as cold and uninviting. Also there is a concern about the hygiene and the spread of this bug that many of us received. Before making a final decision check the reviews closest to your date of travel to see if further outbreaks have occurred."

• Travel date: 5th May 2009

Perfect!

Reviewed 5th December 2012

"We stayed 5 nights at the Royal Dragon resort, from 9th to 14th of April. It was perfect from the first moment we arrived. We were welcomed with cold juice; we got our room at 11 am, and we were upgraded to a family room (we did not request!). The food was various and tasty. Food was served around the clock. Even between midnight to 7 am. unbelievable! The room was spacious (two levels, each level was "en suit"), with a little balcony. Very nice outdoor pool, great beach, luna park, aqua park - and everything was opened on April! There was a lovely promenade in which you could jog. The hotel staff was nice. One thing we didn't like was the "A La Carte' chinese restaurant. Don't bother! Very recomanded!"

• Travel date: 22nd April 2009

Fab Royal Dragon!

Reviewed 13th October 2012

"We have just returned from the Royal Dragon Resort and had an enjoyable and relaxing holiday. We were delayed 3 hours on the way there, but we went with Thomas cook who are known for delays! Note that Thomas cook baggage allowance is only 15k, we were over going and coming back with every case. At manchester they let us off because we were delayed , but be warned on the way back in Turkey we were charged 160 pounds for the 6 of us, but they let us of with 60 so we ended up payin 100 pounds. they charge 8 pound per kilo. We travelled as a family aged 60, 50, 52, 20, 18, 17. Considering that we went out of season we all still had a great time. Our first day rained all day but then the temperatures for the week were between 21- 28 which was suprisingly very hot. The pool was freezing however we were brave and managed to get in a few times. We found the sea to be warmer so spent alot of time at the beach were it was cooler. All sunbeds are free on the beach and the hotel supply towels. We never had a problem getting sunbeds for 6 even though the hotel was full!. Activities in the day included darts, vollyball, football, bowls etc, however there were no pool games as the pool was too cold. The animation team were excellent and really friendly always chatting to us round the pool and a night time in the bars. We want to give a special mention to Marco on the animation team who was always chatting to us and making sure we were having a good holiday, he's also a great dancer. Without him the shows would not be as good. The hotel is situated in a quiet area so you have to be all inclusive, as i think we only saw 2 bars near by. We got a taxi into side which had many shops with souveneirs and clothes, we did not by anythin as we couldn't look as we were pestered too much. The shops in front of the hotel were better as you don't get pestered as much. The food could not be faulted with lots of variety each day. You could eat all day if you wanted to! The beach bar served burgers and hotdogs in the day which you couldn't get at the main restaurant. 3.00 they served jacket potatoes at one of the pool bars and 4.00 there were cakes. We recomend you eat the cakes from the pool bar as u can get delicious fairy cakes wereas the one in side serves mostly foreign cakes. You can only eat at the a la carte 1 per week and we chose the italian. we enjoyed it, and the waiter even sang to us at the end. The rooms were lovely and spacious with a free mini bar and safe. Towels were changed every day and sheets twice a week. When we got there they had not given us our rooms together which we had requested, but they then managed to fit us all on the same floor, still not next door to each other though! This is definately a german hotel and resort. while we were there the rep said there were 50 brits in the hotel but we only talked to 1 on the last day. If you went out the hotel the locals talked to you in German and we got sick of saying Were english. Beware at meal times as the russians and Germans love their food and will push you out the way. We watched them all rush to get cakes dead on 4.00, were sure they set alarms on their watches so they could be first! We took turkish lire but they seemed to want the euro. At the airport going home, are checkin was very quick and are flight was 20 min early. we only ended up waiting 15 min after checkin before our plane borded which was great. The turks security was good as our bags were searched again as we were bording the plane. We recommend the hotel to everyone as we had a brilliant time and would return in future."

• Travel date: 15th April 2009

nice hotel but not without problems

Reviewed 7th November 2012

"visited this hotel in august with my husband and two children aged 11 and 4. the attitude of the chinese lady at check in at reception left a lot to be desired. we were assured that we would have either two double beds or a double and two twin beds but this was not the case and my son ended up sleeping on a camp bed which is not what i would expect from a five star hotel, so if you do not not book a family room which costs extra then this is what you will get. the food is very nice and a very good selection but what lets the restaurants down is that the tables do not get set quick enough and you end up eating your meals on dirty tables as mentioned,and one waiters manner was digusting. the rooms are cleaned very well with new sheets and towels but not until late afternoon so you cannot really go into your room as you are waiting for the room to be made up. if you are at the side of the hotel there is no view but another hotel and a massive pile of sand.( no sea views as promised but that is not the hotels fault but the people at future travel who we booked up with!) once every five minutes a tractor from the hotel up the road passes your room to take people from their hotel to the beach, this is extremely annoying as it is very noisy. the shop in the hotel is very very expensive and has no prices anywhere. i bought five postcards and stamps and two fridge magnets and a bar of chocolate for £11.00. not much around the hotel to do at night a row of shops about half a mile away mainly usual turkish shops selling copies of t-shirts etc. only a handful of english guests there mainly german/ russian/dutch/romanian, but this was not a problem only when the german guests blatantly pinch your sunbeds and umbrella's!!on the whole it is a nice hotel but it does lack certain things that you would expect from a five star hotel as the holiday itself was not cheap. you also have to pay £10 visa for entry into turkey per british passport holder even young children not told this either by future travel. three of us ended up with a stomach upset too at the end of the holiday. we took with us turkish lira but they seem to want only euro currency."

• Travel date: 12th September 2008

Had a bad experience

Reviewed 5th December 2012

"We had a very bad experience in this hotel. We were a large group of friends, all with small children. The service at the hotel is very bad and you experience that everywhere, at the dinning room, at the pool etc. Trash is gathered and no one picks it up, you eat on dirty table cloths, the rooms are not cleaned until 17:00 p.m!! so you can not rest at the room at noon time. Many of us became sick and sufferred from stomach problems during our stay. Since Turkey has so many clubs to choose from, we will definitely won't come back to this one."

• Travel date: 26th August 2008

Fab Dragon

Reviewed 3rd November 2012

"stayed the last two weeks of July and the hotel is very impressive. This is a very large hotel but there is plenty of space around to not feel as if there was over 1200 people staying there.Our family stayed in a duplex room which was very spacious with two bathrooms which was great when you have two kids(10 and 12). The food in the hotel was fantastic and lots of choice for all. The only complaint was that you can only use one a l a carte restaurant once per week and any extra visits are charged at 15euros per person. The Chinese is well worth a visit. The hotel has a big mix of customers mainly coming from germany,holland,russia and Romania. If you go on holiday and want to mix with other Brits then this is not the place to go because there was around 30 Brit's in the hotel which did not bother me but seemed to bother the other family's there. My kids loved the Aqua Park and so did i. The entertainment at night was poor and only went to see one show but there is plenty of bars to sit and make your own. I would recommend this hotel to people looking for a superb standard of hotel that don't mind mixing with other nationalities."

• Travel date: 5th August 2008

Hotels near Royal Dragon Hotel

Top traveller tips for Royal Dragon Hotel

• by Deejay78

"Don't rely on staff, require assistance or have a medical emergency....you will be disappointed"

Royal Dragon Hotel is also called