HMP Flamingo hotel Olu Deniz

Reviewed Sat 28th of July 2012

"H.M.P Flamingo
My family and I stayed at the Flamingo hotel from the 9th to the 23rd of July 2012.
On arrival we were greeted by a rude receptionist who seemed as if he had an attitude problem towards everyone. He seemed only interested in his mobile and would leave guests waiting for ages to collect their key or in most cases query their bill.

The Room
We were shown to our room to find that there was no bath even though it stated on our Thomson invoice that the room would have one. The room was small for a family and the wardrobe had four hangers and a safe which you have to pay for daily. Also some people were saying they were being charged for their air conditioning as well . We tried to change our room but were told it was not possible.The cleaners made the beds every day but the room wasn't cleaned properly and my wife left a note in the end asking to have the floor swept as our feet would be black if walking in the room without shoes. We had to ask reception three times for toilet paper as it wasn't being replaced. When the bed linen was finally replaced the sheets on my bed had holes in and the towels were old, frayed and stiff. As there is a

mosque very close to the hotel the wailing  around 6am may wake you in the morning. If the mosque doesn't the rooster will.

The Restaurant
Is situated by the pool on a large patio,the food served for breakfast is very limited, slices of bread, tomatoes, cucumber,olives,rubbery ham,water melon, hard boiled eggs and stale cornflakes. The coffee was nice. Whilst eating some of the waiters would constantly ask you ' finished' . There was on more than one occasion a couple of dogs and cats in the restaurant at breakfast and dinner time around the tables, they didn't seem clean or to belong to anyone in particular. Dinner again was very similar to breakfast, salad and maybe some form of meat although it was very sparse, they served us fish heads one night. The expression on people's faces said it all.

Pools
Both appear to be relatively new and well kept, it stated in the Thomson review of the hotel that one of these was an adult pool, not so. This didn't bother us, but for those expecting a child free pool you will be disappointed.
The music played at the top pool was particularly loud and was only  interrupted by the sounds of prayers from the local mosque.  A member of staff from the bar would join the guests by laying next to them on the loungers and on one occasion, one of the staff whipped his top off and jumped in the pool .  At times we couldn't get on the pool table at top pool as staff were playing whilst meant to be working . We heard that one member of staff had thrown a seven year old lad who couldn't swim into the deep end of the pool.

Your Running Bill
You will be given a card and key when you sign in at reception. The card is meant to be presented when you purchase food and drink.
 However, I was never asked for it. Just a key or room number was required. Check your bill daily if indulging in their extortionate fare. Every time I checked the bill,  it was wrong in their favour. On one occasion, the bill was 35 tl out . We don't think the staff try to swindle you;  it's more of a case they haven't  a clue how the system works. Once you have convinced them it's wrong, which is like a visit to the dentist, it finally seems to get sorted. Not fun. On three or four occasions I went to check the bill, each time it was wrong. Many people on trip advisor have said the same. Best to eat and drink outside the hotel when and where possible.

I am surprised Thomson are associated with this hotel and I must admit I have never been as happy to see a coach to take us back to the airport as I was on my last day. When being collected I expressed my thoughts on the hotel to Karen, the Thomson rep. Her reply was ' but it's just been refurbished ?!' I think that says it all, just because it's had a revamp doesn't make it a good hotel, some of the staff's attitude is poor to say the least. Like a good restaurant, if the foods great but the service is poor it ruins it. I heard many people in the hotel complaining about a variety of things from the manager to the food to the accommodation .

To sum it up, it could be a good hotel as it has possibilities, but the poor accommodation,  poor food and some of the staff (and their nature towards the guests) leave a lot to be desired.The manager prowls around the hotel with a face like a sack of spanners and contributes to the intimidating atmosphere and bad feeling inside the hotel.The surrounding streets around the hotel are filthy and seem not to have been cleaned for a considerable time. On a previous post, someone said the hotel seems to have an identity crisis, I think that's spot on. A good example of this is the hotel's a la carte restaurant, which is situated in the same area as the mere mortals on half-board, only difference being they change the colour of the tablecloth and charge you ridiculous prices for average food, needless to say we ate out nearly every night even though on half-board. We just never felt comfortable or at ease in the hotel.

We love Olu Deniz and have been twice now but our experience at the Flamingo hotel will make us very cautious of hotels Thomson associate themselves with. In hindsight I will pay more attention to people's posts on trip advisor before booking our accommodation again.
I hope my review of Flamingo is of use to you and if you take the plunge good luck and I hope your experience is better than ours!

• Travel date: Fri 27th of July 2012

Very rude manager, Zero customer service, Worse than no frills, AVOID!

Reviewed Tue 5th of July 2011

"This hotel is by far the worst in Olu Deniz (been there 5 times). Quick summary of my experience;

- Manager was VERY rude, arrogant, argumentative and had zero customer service skills.

- Air con is free with some operators, not with ours which was not mentioned until check in.

- No outside food or WATER is allowed into the hotel so when its 45 degrees outside expect to have a high bar bill for small water bottles!

- Reception staff know very little English, and they just agree with everything you say, then make out your a liar if you try to hold them to anything they promise.

If you stay here don't expect anything other than a ruined holiday.

• Travel date: Sun 3rd of July 2011

Unfriendly! Bad Management!

Reviewed Tue 14th of September 2010

"Although many reviews rated this hotel, I have to say we didn't! We are a middle aged couple that visited* When we arrived we were shown to our room which I can only describe as a cell looking at the wall of the swimming pool. I complained to the bell boy who made a few calls and got us moved up a level so at least were weren't looking at a brick wall.

The staff at first were friendly, however after they found that we weren't drinkers, it all changed, none of the staff spoke to us as we went out to eat even though we were half board the meals left at lot to be desired!
The head waiter Michael ignored me and my husband completely after about 2 days, and made it very uncomfortable to stay around the hotel pool.

We were encouraged to go to a BarbQ, 25TL each we were promissed a belly dancer and entertainment for gods sake don't go!it never took place! When you have paid your money they will not refund!

They served a Turkish breakfast which was fine, but the large pots of Jam incouraged hundreds of wasps all over the food.
The evening meals were discussing, you never knew what your were eating nothing was labelled and it seemed that the meals were made of what ever wasn't eaten the night before!!

There is a large sign out side the reception stating that no food or drink must be taken in to the hotel, however some times we had to take water back as my husband's medication that he needed to have a water to take.
One morning when we went down to breakfast we saw the maid cleaning the next room to us throwing away water and food she had found in the room.

We had to hide our water in the safe so the maid did not find it. There is a mini bar in the rooms which is very very expensive, we asked many times for a price list for the bar but never got one.

The bed linen looked very tried and not to fresh I have to say, and there were no top sheets on the beds not sure why.

My husband has walking difficulties and we found it very very difficult to find any benches in the resort you have to go into a bar to sit down where you are given cutlery and a menu even if you just want a drink!
Some of the menus didn't have prices on, pure guess work!

On the day we checked out we waited in reception for the coach and watched a steady stream of guests querying the bills and complaining about there rooms!

We would never return to to this hotel again! Please if you must go to Olu Deniz find please another hotel!

Don't waste your money!!!!

• Travel date: Tue 14th of September 2010

good time

Reviewed Mon 9th of August 2010

"we had a great time in olu deniz. the hotel was as good as you get. my daughters (10 and 15)loved it in the pool (top pool).the room was clean. staff were friendly and very helpfull. only down side is the breakfast. but then again you are in turkey so do as they do and you will enjoy it."

• Travel date: Sun 8th of August 2010

Very good hotel and resort

Reviewed Mon 16th of August 2010

"There are alot of people on here moaning about the so called "cell rooms"... but to be honest the "cell rooms" arnt much smaller than the other rooms and the only diffrens is that it doesnt have a balcony. And if you ask they will move you to a better room. The breakfast is nice and on some days they do omlettes or pancakes. Dinner is also very nice and they do chips on some days. The reception staff are slightly miserable but the rest of the staff are very pleasant and helpful. Its a short walk to the beach and there are waves which is always good in a beach. The pools are nice and are kept clean. I would advise checking your bill before you sign at the bar as the barman somtimes puts extra drinks on you bill. The rooms are cleaned well everyday and towels changed twice a week. If you need to keep any medication in the fridge then dont worry the cleaners wont touch it. If youve paid for air-con in the price with thomson or firstchoice then tell reception and they will not charge you. My family and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the flamingo and i hope you will to!!"

• Travel date: Mon 26th of July 2010

Not up to 1st choice standard

Reviewed Tue 13th of July 2010

"First let me say that we did not go with 1st Choice but independantly.
I have just returned from the Flamingo Hotel (6 July 2010) and agree with Francis callaghan's review.
We also had issue with the management when we were put into a substandard room, we had stipulated a pool view and were put into a subterranean room, on complaining and showing proof of our pool view booking we were moved next morning. My brother was not so lucky as he was booked in as a 2+1 family and had a small bed fit for a child. My nephew is 32 and 6'2", the bed was changed for a larger one but as the standard rooms are just studios and do not have separate sleeping areas,they had to make do with putting up a cutain. They were offered another room at a cost of £100 which they declined as it was not there error.
We ate out for the last 3 days of our stay so that we could get some decent food. You can get a good English breakfast for around 9 lira. Our evening meals were taken at the Toscana as the hotel meals were inadequate.
Some of the waiters are a bit cocky and one was downright nosey picking up a postcard from our table and reading it, he was put in his place. We declined the use of the safe but paid £4 per day for the air con.
Food and drink is not allowed in from outside and this includes water. We were informed that we should buy our water from the bar at 1.50 Lira for a 150ml and a bottle of wine 75cl (plonk) from the bar at 20 lira, In the supermarket (AZDA)you can get a good bottle, 1ltr for 14 lira. The area of Oludeniz is beautiful and picturesque with plenty to do, the paragliding was amazing and so was the boat trip. My wife had a Turkish bath and massage and she said it was terrific but should have taken it at the beginning.
To sum up, the hotel was nice but too restrictive. Oludeniz is beautiful and we are planning to go back next year but to a different hotel. Take English notes (not Scottish) as they are widely accepted and the rate is better."

• Travel date: Wed 7th of July 2010

holiday to remember

Reviewed Tue 13th of November 2012

"My wife and I have just returned from our first holiday without the children, we stayed at the Flamingo and what a stay there is nothing bad I can say about the hotel it was fabulous Hakan the manager was approachable and the staff were really friendly. thew hotel itself was spotless we hope to go back there. Thank you for a wonderful holiday that my wife and myself will always remember.
Steve and Helen from Wales"

• Travel date: Sat 26th of June 2010

portugal or Turkey!!!!

Reviewed Thu 3rd of June 2010

"After planning to go to Portugal for a year, we arrived at Manchester airport to be greeted by the ash cloud!!! our holiday cancelled!! Thomsons were brilliant and organised another holiday over the phone within 10 minutes the next day! it was to Turkey, the Flamingo Hotel! We were 6 ladies celebrating a 40th birthday! We arrived at 6am and were greeted by really friendly staff! the rooms were beautiful brand new! they were even putting lightbulbs in as we were unpacking! They treat us like Queens because of what we went through to get there! The staff, hotel manager were brilliant and made our stay the best holiday we had ever had! Thank you everyone at Flamingo!!!!!! from the Portugal ladies!!!"

• Travel date: Wed 2nd of June 2010

Great Hotel

Reviewed Fri 28th of May 2010

"Hi
Me and my wife have stayed 3 times in this Hotel, need i say any more, nothing is to much trouble for the staff and we hope to go again,great place OIu Deniz and if you get boared jump
on a bus, run every 10 min 4TLY
If you dont see it, ask for it, the Management will go out of there way to accommondate you

Have Fun regards to all

Steve Sue "

• Travel date: Fri 28th of May 2010

disappointed guests

Reviewed Wed 23rd of September 2009

"Four of us,all adults,were at the hotel from 6th.to 20th. September this year.
When we arrived,late on the 6th. we were shown to "cell rooms" underneath the dinning area,complained immediately and were moved the next day. As others have experienced this seems to be some "routine" to see if the "chosen ones" will put up with it. When we spoke to the Rep he tended to confirm this was a practice, but if not corrected he would have "sorted it", so one asks the question WHY?.
The rooms we were moved to ,overlooking the pool, were fine. However air conditioning was a supplement of £4.00 per day although in the brochure it is included.Change of contracts this year - they say, some sort of scam - we say. Reps advice - claim back from Travel Agent.
We were half board - while breakfast was adequate,evening meal (buffet style) was, even being kind, very poor. One uplift was they did make a good plate of soup. Yes you could buy from their " a la carte " but you had already paid for half board!
Theme nights were amateurish and unexciting. One tip here if asked to buy raffle tickets DON'T it is a SCAM. Ten or twelve prises all the same - introductory cards to a jewellery shop in Olu Deniz with a 10% discount which you would get if you walked in off the street. Challenged one of the managers on the quality of the prizes, telling him that people were not happy, he just shrugged his shoulders.
In summary hotel could be nice but is let down badly by the mangement and organisation.
Will certainly not be back- there is better out there "

• Travel date: Wed 23rd of September 2009

FANTASTIC !!!!!

Reviewed Mon 24th of August 2009

" How are yer!!!!!!
Excellent appartments....so much space and very clean....maid service every day,very friendly and loved the way she left towel displays of flowers,hearts,swans covered with petals on our beds, towels sheets changed regular.
Reception very helpful and spoke excellent english....bar staff...great sence of humour and banter a big thanxs to "Cihan...Zafer...Hakan...Omer...Sjleyman....Mehert....Aihmert" you made our holiday ( Ali G says Hi )and lovley the way you saw us off saying good bye.
other facilities were exellent both pools and bars.
Walk to main strip a 5 mins and 7 mins to beach...again lovley and everyone friendly in shops and bars.
Took a short ride by bus costing £2 return to Hisarranu....bigger and more variety of shops and night life....DON'T RECOMMEND RESTUARANTS...CHINESE. INDIAN...EAT AS MUCH AS YOU LIKE...RIP OFF.
bOAT TRIP "OLU DENIZ" RECOMMEND as only 24 max on boat at a cost of £10 well worth it and great Islands to stop off and see also lunch provided.
we were two Families with 4 teenage children starting from 14 to 16 .....they loved the place and the staff really made an effort to please...would recommend and would go back."

• Travel date: Sat 22nd of August 2009

Great hotel, great staff, great value for money

Reviewed Wed 17th of June 2009

"The hotel Flamingo is a great place to stay. We was really put off by our travel arrangements to the resort, we used resort hopper and had prepaid for a private taxi, which didnt turn up, so the guy arranging it all took us in his own private car and fell asleep 3 times while driving at least 70 mph. We were tired and a bit anxious but the hotel staff were great. During our stay the fridge, safe and air con all broke but they sent someone out to fix it immediately.
The pool area is nice with a beautiful view and the pool staff were wicked, especially alex! Sometimes some of the staff were a bit over freindly as we were two girls, but they soon backed off.
We were only B&B and thought we would try the a la carte menu one night and the food was fantastic, we ended up paying to eat there for 4 nights. I dont know what the buffet food was like but the a la carte was truly amazing.
The staff were all really freindly and couldnt do enough for you. Rooms were spacious and very clean with great views. Our towels were folded into pretty shapes with flower petals over bed.The mosque was no problem didnt wake us up once.
The hotel is 10 mins from the beach, and the strip has everything you need including an azda.We got a taxi into hissaronu a couple of times, easy to get to,!0 mins, lots more places to eat and bars and clubs.
The lagoon is beautiful. But we booked a trip to dalayan for the mud bath and to see turtle island,and we were a bit dissapointed. after being told it would take an hour by coach, we were on that coach for two hrs after picking everyone up in 40degree heat, with the air con blowing out hot air, only to stop off midday at a carpet factory for an hr!! No one told us about this.Mud bath over rated and stunk to high heaven, everone was heaving. Followed by lunch, all crowded on one table, in such hot weather with no air con, was absolutley awful.The best bit was the boat that took 45 mins to get to the beach, where we managed to see a turtle, but then only got to spend an hr on the beach, because our tour guide liked the sound of his own voice and wouldnt shut up. So was a bit dissapointed.
Aqua Park in hissaronu was tiny, only few slides, but empty so we still enjoyed it.
Market was way to hot, under that tent, almost passed out, and you get fed up with all the hassling.
Would probly go back to this hotel again, nothing to complain about. We had a large family sort of take over the pool area during our stay which was a bit annoying but thats not something the hotel can help. If possible try to pay your card off at the end of each day, as we left it until the end of our holiday and they added over 50tl from the minbar that we didnt actually use and i heard many guests saying the same thing, but they removed it from our bill no questions asked as soon as we complained.
Overall great holiday, clean, friendly hotel, excellent value for money."

• Travel date: Wed 17th of June 2009

Hotels near Flamingo Hotel

Top traveller tips for Flamingo Hotel

• Holiday-Rollzzy by Holiday-Rollzzy

"magic garden bar/resturant, the blue lagoon and the boat trip "

• kayleigh007 by kayleigh007

"Beautiful, lots of restaurants and bars but hissaronu has much better nightlife. "

• kayleigh007 by kayleigh007

"The lagoon, njoy kareoke-great staff, secret garden did nice food. Time out bar in hissaronu-great! "

• heron & woods family by heron & woods family

"loved olu deniz and would recommend "

• heron & woods family by heron & woods family

"bella gusto...cherry chow "

• francis callaghan by francis callaghan

"Sea Horse restaurant on the front was excellent. Blue Lagoon area is nice. "

• Tojo by Tojo

"Do your homework, excellent resort with plenty to do. "

• arithomas2010 by arithomas2010

"very good hotel and would recommend you visit the lagoon. "

• Foxy by Foxy

"Don't waste your money! "

• tony20uk by tony20uk

"Do yourself a big favour, don't book this hotel "

• David P by David P

"Don't go, find another hotel. "

Flamingo Hotel is also called