Halici Holiday Village

Cam Sok. No: 1, Marmaris 48700 Turkey

dont go here

"We wouldnt stay here agin if they were giving free holidays away,couldn't eat the food we had to eat out every day we watched as people with children had to eat soup bread rolls and desserts
The bar is only all inclusive till 10.30
With all the steps there is only 1 lift upto the resturant and that was broke nearly every day.
There were loads of wasps around the pool area due to the bar tenders throwing the remains of peoples drinks on the flower beds, so if you dont want to get stung dont sit by the pool during the day.
The towels were changed every day but there was a mark on one of the beds sheets which stayed there for several days
Cant complain much about the staff they were always polite.
But when you have paid money for something like food and drinks you dont expect to have to go and buy it again else were. There was no fridge or tea making facilities in the rooms and there was no tv or radio in the rooms
We feel that this hotel should be a 2 star not 4 star as stated."

• Travel date: Sat 19th of January 2008

A great last minute deal, worth the money

Good

"My girlfriend and I booked our holiday to Turkey on a last minute deal through Teletext for the beginning of September 07. As we could not find any reviews on the Halici Holiday Village we decided to take a chance as the deal was very good.

First things first, this hotel is no where near as bad as some people have been making out. There are a lot of steps (170 to our room, after you have climbed a steep hill) however for a hotel that is based high up in the hills what would you expect. The views from our room were very nice over looking the sea. Some rooms were lower than others so maybe not as good. Because of the steps I would not recommend the hotel to people going with older adults or children.

We went all inclusive and yes the food was quite repetitive (and this I have found is the same with many all inclusive hotels) but worth the money. There was always fresh melon, bread, soup, lots of salad & other little buffet style food available. The main hot dishes (for lunch and dinner) usually included a form of potato, rice, chicken and vegetables. Breakfast was usually boiled or scrambled egg, cereal, bread, melon or the more traditional Turkish option. The staff were always very friendly and there was always a clean table available to have your meal. For all inclusive free drinks were on offer, fruit juice or alcohol however this was only available until 10.30pm. It is worth taking advantage of these free drinks and then heading out to the local bars along the beach.

The pool was very nice, not too cold and always cleaned every night. There were lots of sun beds available however you need to get there quite early to get the best spots. Due to being in the hills there are lots of tress around and by 1pm onwards the pool area starts to become shady and by 4pm the shade has taken over...although it’s still nice and warm.

On arrival we were shown to our room and even though it was late at night, a member of staff helped us carry our bags. This was very welcomed especially with all those steps! Our room was clean and fresh towels were available every day. An issue we had with our room is that after a couple of days we started to notice water dripping from the ceiling above the shower. Although the rooms had air con and were always very cool the air conditioning unit did start to drip with water towards the end of our holiday.

The hotel itself does not offer any entertainment. This may not be to everyone’s taste however we did not find it a problem as we often went out to see what we could find. At the bottom of the hill was a little bar called the Apple Bar. It had music and cocktails a plenty and the staff were very friendly. Along the beach, only a short walk from the hotel was another bar called The Three Brothers. This always had entertainment from Turkish dancing, a lady with a snake to a disco.

Marmaris has a lot to offer from bars to shops, excursions and trips as well as many lovely views. As we walked along the streets there was always someone trying to sell us an excursion which was annoying at times but they soon stopped asking when they realised we weren’t interested, plus this tends to happen with any country you go to. We found that the area was mainly full of British tourists. The beach was not the nicest; it was a bit on the gritty side however most of the beach had sun beds. They were free as long as you order something from the waiters coming around, even if it was just a cold drink - which is nice to enjoy whilst soaking up all that sun! The sea was lovely and clear; you could even see little fish swimming around. Maramis has a bus service by which you can get on and off pretty much anywhere you like and it is very good value with one coming approx every 5mins.

I feel that the travel from the airport and back is not really relevant to the actual hotel itself as to my knowledge the hotel does not provide this service…however we went with Yesil Daylan and found them to be very good. However I can understand why a bad transfer experience would put a negative spin on the holiday as a whole.

To sum up, I can understand that the steps are an issue for some people and the food can be repetitive but overall the holiday was very much worth the money."

• Travel date: Sat 12th of January 2008

Marmaris Magic!

Good

"Stayed at this hotel for a week at the end of September and for the price I paid I was more than satisfied.

Hotel is at the top of a very steep hill and the rooms are on various levels - 151 steps to my room therefore hotel would not be suitable for the elderly or disabled. Staff were very friendly and rooms were cleaned on a daily basis with fresh linen and towels each day. Views from the hotel are stunning!

Not a vast variety of food choice on the menu - so fussy eaters may find it difficult however there was a choice of hot meal or various salads/pasta each day which were more than edible. There was no evening entertainment at the hotel but this wasnt a problem

The night life is only a short bus journey away. Buses are regular and very cheap.

All in all very satisfied, dont think this hotel deserves the many bad reviews it has received - many of the negative points which I have read about the hotel were clearly stated if you read into the hotel prior to going.

The biggest problem I encountered was the wasps! Marmaris was lovely and would probably go to Turkey now before Spain any day!

Would definitely stay at this hotel again."

• Travel date: Mon 15th of October 2007

Will keep you fit!

Good

"The hotel itself is on a very steep hill and has many stairs! I counted 151 steps to my room and i wasnt even at the top!. The rooms were clean and adequate. they were cleaned daily and fresh towels and linen.
The food is very limited, very little choice. Im not fussy so i managed but some ppl might struggle with getting something they like. There is no evening entertainment.
Staff are friendly and helpful. We had no problems whilst staying in this hotel and for the price of the holiday. I was satisfied.
It is approx 10 min walk to the beach and you need to get transport to the nightlife although, there is buses that run which are very very cheap.

Over all i would stay there again!"

• Travel date: Wed 10th of October 2007

Better than I expected

Good

"Halici holiday village. (not Halici hotel, as mentioned elsewhere, they are not the same place).

In my opinion this hotel does not deserve many of the bad reviews it has received. The official star rating is three and not four. Take into account how cheap the hotel is, we only paid £187 for 8 nights for 2 people (medhotels). The extensive steps are mentioned on any web site you care to look at so should not come as a surprise. The food is not the best I have eaten, however it is by no means the worst. The salads are delicious and imaginative despite being pretty much the same every day. I did not experience any undercooked chicken nor, in my opinion, was food brought out two days running. The puddings were OK but very much the same every day. I agree the front desk staff are somewhat surly, however problems were dealt with promptly.

The beds are quite hard and the bed covers are very strange but made of cotton and not horrible. Rooms are small but adequate for 2 people. Masses of hot water and high-pressure shower. Large wardrobe with plenty of hangers and extra storage for cases etc. rooms were cleaned daily to a very high standard. Towels every day bed sheets, hard to tell as the bed was so well made, looked like every day. I strongly advise anyone staying here to make sure they are in the main building, the rooms up past reception, and not the horrible rooms down the road. The hotel was full when we stayed. The stunning views make up for quite a lot. Incidentally the worst perpetrators of sun bed bagging were the British. The pool is heavily chlorinated but so are many such pools abroad. Wet surfaces can be slippery so care is needed. No horrible music all day long – brilliant.

This part of Turkey does not have natural beaches. There are some that are man made and very clean. Water is clear, bottom quite stony, jellies advised. Beds and parasols very cheap, boys on beach will fetch you drinks, no extra charge. If you go on a boat trip (highly recommend, best way to sun bathe) from the marina and do not like noisy trips but would like to enjoy lovely scenery in peace and quiet them book with Josh, you cannot miss his boat as there is a large sign stating Josh is Here. If you want to buy jewellery then go to the Gold Box, (bottom hill, turn left, not far down just past le Caprice restaurant. The chap who runs this shop (he is a jeweller) is very nice. We bought in all £500 worth of jewellery (14 carat gold) which when we got it valued at home come to a total of £1,500. So quite a bargain. He will make you something new out of your old jewellery if you want. All in all I enjoyed Turkey. Incidentally it is one of the cleanest countries I have visited. No one had so much as a hint of an upset stomach. If you book the jeep safari I hope you like loud obnoxious people and being constantly saturated with freezing cold water. If not make sure you ask to go in a jeep with other like minded people (insist if necessary, say you want your money back otherwise and they will soon do as you ask) and tip your driver to avoid the water fights. It is worth going on because the views driving up and down the mountains are incredible, simply indescribable in beauty. Shopping is very good, buy things in this part of Marmaris, it is cheaper than going to the marina, though the marina is worth a look as is good fun. As for pushy shop people, they are not too bad if you are clear about what you want, they are OK if you say you are just looking and are firm with them. Don’t pay more than 35 lire for a medium size hand bag. For a delicious Turkish meal go to a restaurant called Café Rest, it is on the left hand side down past the 2nd McDonalds (hop on the dolma if you are feeling weary) about 10 mins walk. It is quite small and intimate, they serve the best Turkish meal freshly cooked to order."

• Travel date: Tue 9th of October 2007

Good Value for Money at Halici Village

Good

"I dont normally write reviews but having read some terrible reviews about this place before we went away, I was not really looking forward to going there! I have to say we were really inmpressed. For what we paid we thought it was value for money. The room was really nice, even though it was up 180 steps! But the views once you were up there were amazng over looking the sea and mountains, and from what we had read we were prepared for lots of steps! The food was good and although we ate out most nights we thought we still got value for money by eating our breakfast, lunch and drinks there which were all for free. It was also in a good location as we used to hop on the bus at the end of the street and can get off in the town centre or the harbour. The pool was great and at the time of year we went we never had a problem finding a sunbead even though we would come down to the pool quite late, although I would imagine it could get busier in peak months. We did like Marmaris although at times felt we did get a bit ripped off on tours etc although eating and drinking was value for money, apart from Bar Street where you pay £5 for a small beer! We have been to Northern Cyprus (turkish side) many times and although we did like Turkey we think we would go back to North Cyprus before returning to Turkey which to us seems more cultured and less commercial. All in all a good week away and I would recommend this hotel as long as you dont mind walking up steps!!"

• Travel date: Sat 29th of September 2007

"Halici Holiday Village... I'm actually quite unsure where to start.

Me and my boyfriend (19 and 24) wanted a last minute holiday for cheap (we paid for that mistake). Fed up with teletext holidays we went with lastminute.com as it was the easiet to book with. Halici Holiday Village had "customer favourite" for some reason... unsure why. And so came the first probelm..... We were leaving in 2 days... no flight times. Tried calling the medhotels.com (also useless) spent 5 minutes on the phone after being put through to someone. Still no answer. It took us a couple of hours to get hold of the details. If it wasn't for our pestering I don't think they were ever going to send us them. The flights were at riciculous times 11pm to arrive at about 3am and then leaving Turkey at 3am. Lovely.

We arrived at the delightful Halici Holiday Village, were shown our room (no help with bags). There are some mighty steps in that place.... really unsuitable for those with kids or the elderly.

As soon as we got into the room the light wouldn't stay on as it was one of those ones where u have to put a key in the slot for electricity. After finally sorting out the light (pull the key out slowly) I looked around the place. We were lucky enough to have a family room which we weren't expecting which had a little kitchen with fridge. The fridge door came off in my hand. Brilliant start. Turned the kitchen tap on... Tap came off in my hand. Told them the next day... said they'd have a look.... they didn't.

Breakfast is bearable just basic cereals, cheese, bread etc.. there is hot food if your brave. Lunch and dinner was terrible. There was no choice, the salad was the same everyday (literally). It was like being back at school but much much much worse!

The swimming pool area is probably the best bit of the place, it got a bit crowded but as we went towards the end of the summer it wasn't much of a probelm. The inclusive drinks was brilliant as you could have any local drinks all throughout the day untill 10PM.

Mamaris as a location is to be honest pretty shocking. The main strip is tacky, everyone pestering you to go into their restaurant/bar. If your into tattoos/ fake handbags/ fake anything/people smoking constantly/ commerical holidays then this would be your ideal place. Luckily, we found halfway through our holiday the strip along the beach where they don't pester you as much. Theres some nice restaurants (3 brothers) and one right on the sea. The beach itself is horrible but at night time its fine.

I strongly recommend a different location and hotel as you can get alot more for your money. We weren't being picky it really was that bad. I've been travelling to Thailand, Australia and Fiji and i've stayed in better hostels than this so called "hotel". Just please please please rethink!"

• Travel date: Sat 22nd of September 2007

Yuk! Yuk! Yuk!

"What can I say about this place - YUK!

The pool I think I will start with, on day 3 of our week long stay someone - I hope a child - poo'd in the baby pool. This was reported to the cleaner who did little more than scoop out the mess and ask people not to use it until the following day, as it would be cleaned later. This was at 3 pm.

As you can imagine we did as asked but throughout the day people came back from day trips ect totally unaware of what had happened and began happily splashing about with their babies in the filthy pool. The pool was not cleaned that evening and on the last day of our holiday there was still bits floating about! On day 4 of our holiday the steps to get out of the pool came off these too did not get replaced! There were all two vent covers missing one on the pool floor and one on the side - how dangerous! Other people who had been swimming in the main pool also noticed a slick of jelly like substance on the pool floor - i dread to think what that was.

We tended to go to the beach every day even though the walk back up mount Halici was dreadful - especially when pushing a pram.

The food was absolutely terrible - I am really not a fussy eater but my god it was really bad.

On day 4 of our holiday the temp reached the late 40's and the hot option on this occasion - (there is only one for each meal sitting) was braising steak and mash - whatever happened to a Turkish chicken kebab? Alongside this treat the veg option brussel sprouts - Yum!

Even better when they stared in one of the following days many salad options a new one on me I have to say - brussel sprouts in Thousand Island dressing - inventive if nothing else!

Breakfast really was either a boiled egg day one, scrambled egg with peppers day 2, hot dog sausage in questionable sauce day three and then back to day 1. Of course they had traditional Turkish breakfast which I have to say, if they didn't I’d have had to eat out for every meal, which really isn't what you expect when paying for all inclusive!

The rooms were clean only saw 4 cockroaches so not too bad. Only problem was pillows only one rock hard pillow to a bed - and you try getting another one!

There was absolutely no entertainment and the barmen found it highly amusing to play crude and perverse songs at peak bathing times - just the type of language I love my kids to listen to especially the influential 3 year old I took.

I have been on many many holidays in my lifetime and this has to be the worst by far the pictures we took whilst there look like they came from a different place, the views were really were amazing.

Please please reconsider if you are thinking of going here we spent £1800 on our holiday and I’m gutted! There are far better bargains."

• Travel date: Thu 20th of September 2007

"Hellhole holiday village".

"The first thing that confronts you is the steps."Greeted" at the reception by staff who haven't learned to smile.Then ushered to a lift that takes you part way up. Then a hike up more steps to very basic room. Room cleaned daily this is about the only good thing about "Hellhole holiday village". Drains in room stank but sewage smell rectified by a handful of mothballs stuck down plughole.
Then there was the food.Very basic and not a lot of choice.Ate most meals in town good job food is cheap. 99p for a full english breakfast.
No entertainment in hotel so another walk every evening to town to friendly bars.
By 11 am every day there was no room in the far too small swimming pool.Full up with lilos.Beware of broken glasses around pool.
Then to cap it all some delightful little local pinched my wallet on the last night.I know it wasn't on the hotels ground it was 100 metres up the road but they didn't want to know."Get on green bus and go to police station" was all thay said.
I have never felt compelled enough to write a report about anything before but this was the pits."

• Travel date: Wed 5th of September 2007

Absolutly Disgraceful

"This hotel is a 2* Maximum, its more of a full board basis definatly not a all inclusive, (WELL WHERE DO WE START) Kids dont even get ice cream, snacks had to be paid for, NO ICE in your drinks,food was very basic.No entertainment, even the chairs at the bar had no pads on them so 90% of the time you either had to sit on metal bars or on the sunbed at the pool to relax. we went with our son and daughter of 12yrs and 14yrs and their was nothing at all for them to do.
The accomadation was terrible it was more of a prison cell, my sons bed was broken, the air conditoning was faulty we asked on 3 occasions for it to be looked at and the heat was 45degrees so we had no sleep for the full week we was at the hotel.
Everyone we spoke to was disgusted with the place, the SAFETY of the complex was NONE, the lighting was terrible, and with steps everywhere it was a disgrace, we could never get a sunbed (I think everyone put their towels on them at 6am)
The staff was unfriendly,
This was the 1st time of travelling to Turkey and we have been totally been put of by this experience, especially as when talking to the guests and finding they had raw sewage coming out of their shower (welll what more is their to say). The pool that was situated by our room was very dangerous it has a broken light still connected in the pool, the bar was giving out glass bottles of beer, and a young lad broke his nose in the pool.
We would never want anyone to have to stay at this place.
Only 1 good point to make and that was the cleaners came everyday."

• Travel date: Fri 31st of August 2007

disgusting place!!!

"this hotel needs closing down! ok was aug 2008 when we went but i have to warn anyone who is thinking of staying here DONT!!! dirty rooms dirty restaurant unhelpful staff , this place has really stuck in my mind as it is the worst place i have EVER stayed! we ate out for all our meals, we only slept there which was bad enough. i really loved marmaris but this so called hotel in such a lovely place needs DEMOLISHING!!! we only booked because was a last minute holiday if i had time to check the place out properly no way would we have stayed there!!!! please please please do not waste your money staying here you will regret it!!! you have been warned!!!"

• Travel date: Thu 14th of June 2012

Cannot fault views but food and entertainment was awful

Good

"Location gave great views but the hill upto hotel and then over a hundred steps was not good in hot weather. The rooms were cleaned every day and were basic but comfortable. Glad i took a kettle tea and coffee on available at meal times. Food not particulaly great unless you like chips and salad. Entertainment was aimed at younger people also music round pool all day everyday was pumping club music not what you want when trying to relax. A coffee machine would have been nice as no hot drinks were available outside meal times. All staff very friendly. On the whole a good holiday if you are fit like thumping music and dont drink hot drinks"

• Travel date: Wed 5th of October 2011

Hotels near Halici Holiday Village

Stayed at Halici Holiday Village? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Halici Holiday Village

• kirsty16 by kirsty16

"marmaris beach, at night "

• Fox Cross by Fox Cross

"Turkish Bath and Boat Trips "

• garetha by garetha

"nice place but icmeler is much nicer "

• laurachris by laurachris

"do not book this place "

• laurachris by laurachris

"apple bar. no name bar and turkish bath "

• genie magee by genie magee

"GO THERE ! ye ave to see it 4 yourself "

• genie magee by genie magee

"kardiesh...... i cnt spell it but its the second one on the left wen you walk down the hill from hal "

• Miccy70 by Miccy70

"Marmaris itself is great, friendly ppl great markets! "

• Miccy70 by Miccy70

"The Apple Bar, fantastic atmosphere, could not keep away! "

• kyalan4783 by kyalan4783

"Oscars along the main road or Arkadia which is very nice "

• jkjs by jkjs

"Marmari is fantastic with something for everyone! people very friendly and lots to do! "

• jkjs by jkjs

"oscars restaurant, family house "

• holaug by holaug

"very busy but you can pick up great bargains "

• holaug by holaug

"Infinity restaurant ,Jeep Safari Aqua Dream and boat trips Turkish bath "

• chafey38 by chafey38

"Family house great food, Icmeler Market a must "

• chafey38 by chafey38

"The sunshine boat trip booked through Apachie "

• davis by davis

"halici beach at night and boat trip to turtle beach "

• livandella by livandella

"Apple Bar, Turtle Beach and Aqua Park "

• penny j 50 by penny j 50

"I felt very nervous walking around in the evenings as the roads not very well lit. "

• penny j 50 by penny j 50

"The apple bar vey lively and staff very cheerful. "

Halici Holiday Village is also called