Pool area

Amazing Hotel!

Reviewed 6th August 2010

"This hotel is outstanding, absolutely loved it! The staff were the most friendliest people i have ever met. All the staff ~ we were welcomed by the smiley bell boy who took our bags to your room. the bar staff were great always had a smile for you. The entertainment team were amazing, always made you feel welcome and tried to get you to join in. We had the same two waiters for our holiday and i must say they were amazing. Wolcan and Hasan really made our holiday, such great service and really nice people. We miss them alot. The food was really good, alot of choice and always something for everyone. The hotel was spotless, really nice and the maids were great. To see people seeing bad things about this hotel is quite shocking, as i have nothing negative to say about it, it really is a great hotel. This is our first time in turkey after years of going to spain, but wont be going back as this holiday was defintely our best in a long time. Already looking at booking for next year. "

• Travel date: 6th August 2010

Stay at the apartments, not the hotel

Reviewed 8th October 2009

"We (young couple, no children) stayed in the Cettia Apartments for a fortnight and after the initial disappointment that Marmaris is very much a resort geared towards English tourism (ie English breakfast and fish and chips in every restaurant) we greatly enjoyed our stay. The rooms at the apartment are comfortable, fairly spacious and kept immaculately clean. The staff at the apartment bar/restaurant are extremely friendly, welcoming and always keen to get you involved in the evenings entertainment; they really made our holiday. The food served at the apartment restaurant is pretty much the same as everywhere else in Marmaris; decent enough quality and price but very little authentic Turkish cuisine is offered which is a real shame. The nightly entertainment at the apartment bar is generally good; I usually think hotel entertainment is a bit cheesy but the staff made it fun to join in! However, on visiting the Cettia Hotel on a number of occasions, we were made to feel quite unwelcome; one example being we were turned away from the bar and told to purchase a “green card” from reception to pay for drinks as they don’t accept money – slightly embarrassing in front of a huge queue of people... Other people we met who stayed in the hotel complained of poor standard of entertainment, repetitive food and watered down drinks. All in all, we really enjoyed our holiday but I’d advise people to stay in the apartments rather than the hotel, as the all-inclusive deal does not appear to be worth it; especially for people who enjoy a variety of food. Also, make sure you go on a few day trips; Cleopatra Island, Dalyan Tombs and the Lazy Cruise to name a few. "

• Travel date: 7th October 2009

Not 4*

Reviewed 30th October 2012

"We booked this 2 weeks before we went as a late booking. We went in with an open mind as i had not had the time to do my usual 'Tripadvisor' checks before booking. Luckily this worked out well for us as we went in not expecting a good 4* hotel - and were correct. Definately not 4* and i'm suprised JMC rated it in their brochure as such. Firstly, ignore the pictures on the net and in the brochure. A very wide angle lens was used on the pool as it is tiny. Way too small for the number of guests. Room was ok - basic but clean so no problem. Cleaning staff also did a good job. Food - not much and no variety but did manage to make up a meal each at every sitting so again - no real complaints but not 4*. Entertainment was poor. Very little during the day and even less at night. So, was there anything good to say? Absolutely!! The waiters and bar staff totally made it for us. I know that sounds strange but they were great fun, very attentive, very entertaining and gave an excellent service. I would only recommend this hotel as a late booking cheapy...."

• Travel date: 15th October 2007

Marmaris is great

Reviewed 27th October 2012

"We stayed in the Cettia hotel in September 2006 for 2 weeks on an all inclusive tariff. My first piece of advice is don't go all inclusive. The food is VERY poor and the drink aren't much better and stop at 11pm. The food in the resort is very cheap and there are a vairaty of VERY GOOD restaurants in the resort along the beach. After two days we stopped eating in the hotel and went to the beach every day using the sunloungers outside Captains Bar which was great. They give you a waiter service for drinks which aren't expensive and you are right next to the sea. Nothing is too much trouble for these guys. The Turks are extremely friendly and the night life is excellent. Restaurants worth visiting are Treeanna, Taj Mahal, and others that I can't remember. We didn't have a bad meal at all!! I would heartily recommend Marmaris as a resort but I would avoid the Cettia. The staff are rude, the pool is VERY cold and as many people have said, dangerous, the food is really poor but the rooms are ok and the maid service is excellent The Dolmus service is great and it only costs 1 lira to go anywhere on its route and you can get on and off wherever you like!! I know one got blown up in August 2006 but there are dangers wherever you go...... Turkey is a great holiday destination and if you're thinking f going then do it. Just don't bother with the Cettia."

• Travel date: 3rd October 2007

overall a good all inclusive hotel

Reviewed 27th October 2012

"grand cettia hotel marmaris stayed august 2007. Travelled in a group of nine, comprising adults and teenagers. Booked with Thomas Cook. Rooms - very clean and comfortable, however air con is off all day until about 7.30p.m. Not really a problem unless you are confined to your room for any reason. Food - dont expect a fry up every morning. Plenty of cereals, bread, continental style breakfast and outside they will whip you up an omellette or fried eggs.The usual selection of tea,coffee,juices.Lunch and dinner were very good.We had themed evening meals, e.g., mexican,indian,chinese,turkish. outside there was kebabs, steak,wraps filled with chicken, meatballs. We all enjoyed our lunches and evening meals.If you tip a waiter he will look after you, getting drinks etc. for those fry up freaks you can get a good breakfast for about £1.50 - £2.00 in the surrounding area. Drinks were a bit watered down, in our opinion. Try the beer for a few days and then try a beer at the apartments bar, you'll notice a difference. Entertainment at night not really our scene so we tended to go elsewhere later on. Free bus to Marmaris town 8.30p.m. and also about 11.00pm for the clubbers, apparently the later bus brings you back at 2.30. Surrounding area, usual bars,re staurants and shops.Marmaris centre just too hot and crazy for us.Marmaris market full of the same stuff we could buy nearer to our hotel, again hot, noisy and frantic.Small kids would not enjoy this! the trips we booked were fantastic and great value. Booked through local agencies. went quad biking, £15. .turkish bath, £6 an all day all inclusive boat trip, £12, and sea fishing half day £12.Quad biking - make sure its off road and protective clothing is provided.we were fine but we heard a story of a boy that had taken a tumble, no helmet , no elbow pads or knee pads, he injured his wrist. We saw quite a few people with ear trouble when we were there, one of our party included. The cettia nurse was not that helpful and didnt speak english.If you sometimes suffer from ear problems on holiday go prepared with drops, etc cos they're expensive at the pharmacy, especially antibiotics. Hotel shop prices about a third dearer than the local supermarkets. Any of the local shops will change your money into lira, but they all accept english anyway! Dalaman airport, get your ciggies here, I paid £8 for 200 l & m.In the resort, its hard to tell the genuine from the fake. Go prepared with drinks, snacks, sweets cos the airport prices for food are a joke.extortionate! Overall a very good holiday, nice quality hotel,pleasant staff, happy with the location(quieter area and a good breeze), good food. We believe a holiday is what you make it so all had a good time. p.s. - music around the pool, if its too manic, ask for a change, they will oblige."

• Travel date: 5th September 2007

All inclusive NO WAY

Reviewed 27th October 2012

"ALL inclusive . No way. I see from the latest 2008 catalogue and your 2007 cat that it shows an alarcarte Fish restaurant in the Light house, As I have just spent Two disappointing weeks at the Cettia Hotel as an All inclusive guest ,and I fail to see how a burger bar/pizza bar can be called a fish restaurant, The only fish I saw was a neon sign showing a fish. In the whole 2 weeks I was there I never saw a fish cooked there, or any seafood. The hotels web page states a mini bar in the room; there is a fridge (empty) Not even a soft drink or bottled water, A room safe was there but had to be paid for, and Ice cream for children Had to be paid for. As to local drinks the only wine I saw came from an enormous barrel behind on of the bars. This is just one of many issues I would like to raise On the plus side the rooms were very well kept by an efficient maid service, who were always pleased to help I will also praise without exception the senior staff of the hotel, Mr EGIN who tried to do his job under appalling conditions and the young staff he had to supervise. That’s where the praise stops. I’m afraid. I have had to list these complaints myself as The JMC representative NICK Was unable to give me a complaint form as he said these have to booked out from head office at least 3 days in advance, How can you complain before the holiday is finished? On our arrival in Turkey we were put on a small coach that was so small most of the cases were inside on the seats and when we arrived in Marmaris the driver and even the JMC rep did not know where the different hotels were.and we spent the next 45 mins shouting out there it is or you have just past it. At the Cettia Hotel. The dinning room in the hotel was just like an army barracks, tables laid end to end in the most part. No waiter’s only Young boys, most straight from school clearing tables. As this is a so-called 4star hotel you would expect some to show you to a table on arrival and even bring a drink or even a bottle of wine. The dining arrangements were something to believe, There was just one sitting for dinner. Standard of food was below par How could I ask my children to eat food I would not eat my self, We found a little restaurant outside the hotel where we ate dinner ad breakfast quite a few times, as we could not face the hotel food; we even met some of the hotel staff eating there. The main courses were cooked alfresco, and a queue formed at 7-25pm you had to get a table outside by 6-45pm or you ate inside with the regimented tables, and missed out on the evening entertainment, outside As all the tables were gone Once you had queued and got your main dish outside you had to join other queues inside the dining room, to obtain your side dishes, so by the time you sat down With your meal inside or out it was cold. One time my two sons had to share a soup bowl as no clean ones were available, when this was pointed out the staff just shrugged their shoulders and walked away. And left several other guest just standing by the soup tureen. Oh I forgot you had to queue for a drink with your meal as once again no waiters only, as we say in the UK pot men In this case boys just clearing tables. And your drink was mostly served in a plastic mug And if you asked for a glass you were scorned You never saw a drink poured out It was all done under the counter, it was only beer from the tap you saw poured and this went into a plastic cup, only one barman the whole 2 weeks I was there with young boys playing behind the bar Not one person was ever seen wiping or cleaning behind the bar The pool bar was even worse Shelves had been ripped from the walls It had not seen a coat of paint in quite a few years, And the floor was covered in beer kegs and gas canisters You never saw a drink poured, again always under the counter and the same barman all the time, hygiene was not a word he had heard of He also had to run the ICE cream freezer (that you had to wait and pay for All inclusive holiday) I don’t think so he even asked for a tip each time you got an ice And twice when I was there waiting with my children a door that led to a kitchen area was flung open and so called staff fell out fighting and had to be restrained by other members,. Of staff. The pool area looks very nice on arrival and in the brochure, but in reality it is Very different There are not enough sun beds for all the guests, many were broken and just dumped at the rear of the pool area by the shops, Two of the Glass wind panels around the pool were dangerously cracked, My family and I had a ground floor family room that over looked the grass area by the pool, very nice you would think but as there was a shortage of sun beds People were getting up at 6-30am and staking their claim- with towels and blow up toys, moving sun beds and umbrellas around the pool area. The main pool and the children’s pool were closed twice for hygiene reasons And I had to report to the main desk on one occaision of condoms on the grass area around the pool, whilst on my way to breakfast. In conclusion whilst on the surface this could could be a and I think was a good 4 star hotel ,as it now all inclusive it just cannot do it with the facilities and immature staff it has, I was told that all the so called waiters POTMEN are straight from school and learning their skills, but they are left in the main to run riot and cheek the guests. With no mentors to point the way I would give the Cettia hotel a 3 star with a recomdation to pull is socks up and get a stronger manegment team in."

• Travel date: 20th August 2007

loved our holiday here.wished we'd stayed for 2 weeks.....gutted!

Reviewed 6th November 2012

"we have literally just returned from the grand cettia hotel in marmaris and are absolutely gutted that its all over. we booked a 10night stay as we thought 2weeks would be too long, and especially after reading some of the reviews, i thought we were going to hate it and have a terrible time however we wished we'd stayed for 2weeks now!. we were greeted at the airport by 'marmaris transfers'.brand new mercedes with air con etc and he was really friendly, showing us the sights and telling us places to go etc. when we arrived at the hotel they greeted us with a plate of sandwiches each and then the porter took our cases to the room (of which can i say was very nice also) the hotel was very clean, the food was well varied and all 4 of us really enjoyed our meals. and we wer able to get as many drinks as we liked unlike some places who state its only one drink each.my 2 children loved the entertainment and the kids club which made it easier for me and my boyfriend to relax. all the staff were really friendly and brilliant with the kids, especially ajay and nico, saying that tho, i can honestly say, all the turks were friendly which is why i will be defintely coming back to marmaris next year. however, even though i loved my stay at the gran cettia, i would have liked to be closer to the beach as its a good 15mins walk.however, the taxi's only cost 6lira which is about £2.50 and you can get a 'dolmus' which is 1lira each. dont be like me and listen to all the bad reviews and then spend weeks panicking about having a rotten time. we really enjoyed our stay here, and its definitely made me want to book for next year straight away"

• Travel date: 23rd July 2007

Terrible Hotel

Reviewed 22nd October 2012

"Quite frankly this Hotel is an absolute Joke. personally if you like this hotel then obviously you don't get out much! This Hotel is classed as a 4 star ( yeah a 4 star pain the back side) I have never seen so many accidents happen in a space of an hour. The childrens pool contented to broken legs, borken arms, split heads you name it, due to the lask of non slip mats. The attitudes of the waiters and staff alike was that of " if your not giving me your money i'm not interested". Also watch out for the 2 PR women, one with long blonde hair and the other dark curly hair. These PR women have a fetish for stealing bags!!!!!!! The room was an absolute disappointment, i felt like i had been transported back to the 60's withe the decor and i couldn't swing a cat in it. The air conditioning Unit leaked also. The food was horrendous. I cannot believe his food was passed for human consumption. Also get there early to be fed, if not you will be caught up in a rampagne for the Chip bowl. All in all a complete waste of money and time. I would of prefered to stay at home and take up knitting. Plus I caught an ear infection from the hotel pool."

• Travel date: 9th May 2007

It was Good/O.K

Reviewed 7th November 2012

"Me and my girlfriend have just come back from grand cettia all in all it was a good holiday made loads of friends with the guests and the staff. The food inside the main hall was standard but they have a small area outside where they cook fresh omlets, pancakes at breakfast time and during dinner time fresh kebabs, chicken wings, pizzas, jacket potatoes etc which was very nice. the rooms are quite nice nothing to complain about, its only a 4 star not a five. If you like a goooooood drink! there is a large variety of cocktails available dont be affraid to ask them to put more alchol in your glass because i was taking full advantage and they dont mind at all. Entertainment isnt to good but if you enjoy sports there are alot of things to do. Their is a man called josef watch out he owns a jewelry shop on the complex he always looks for potential victims to buy his jewellry. the shopping is great but haggle with them dont take their first price and they hassle you to go into every shop you walk past so ignore them all in all a great holiday the last thing to add the swimmng pool is freezing so beware!"

• Travel date: 7th May 2007

Worst holiday ever!!

Reviewed 7th November 2012

"My Family stayed at the grand cettia hotel in end of april beginning of may 2007. I was not impressed by hotel overall as first of all i think it should be a definate 3 star rather than 4 star because there was nothing in the rooms apart from a fridge and a bed. My one year old son's cot had a screw sticking out of it which i wasnt impressed with. I notice a lot of hotels in marmaris were 4 star but i dont know of they are of the same quality. The all inclusive package as a whole was not the best ive seen, as long as you like eating the same stuff everyday and choosing from 4 trays of food then you will enjoy this hotel. but i did not enjoy eating there. also i think the buffet restaurant is overcrowded at meal times, everybody seems to be fighting to get food like a pack of wild dogs. We went in low season apparently even though thomas cook said to us everything would be open now for the season. I would hate to try and eat there in high season. Oh yeah and in some cases when the food is finished it was finished. i felt the hotel were trying all the time to con me out of more money for example they hide the free local drinks under the bar so no one can see them and display the ones that cost extra. I complained to a manager and they asked me what i wanted and made a malibu and lemonade from local drinks which didnt cost me a penny yet the bar staff were charging us a fortune for the real malibu drink which was on display. Entertainment is was not very good for adults in the aspect of there was none, they blasted music over the hotel complex and the staff danced with the kids. I didnt see much for kids to do either as the kids world was chained up at all times. I went out out on the fact thomas cook said to us the creche would be open for our one year old son to go in and play but it opened 2 days before we were leaving. When it did open the one and only thomas cook trained nanny for about 5 hotels was great, kieran was great with my son and my son liked him too. apparently there was another nanny being sent out when we were leaving but personally i think there should be at least one per hotel. The kids world facilties were very good though. Only other thing i would comment on is watch out for sides of the pool it is like a skating rink when wet, My son fell over and banged the side of his head and fell into the pool and thats the baby pool im talking about. everyday a child was getting hurt by the pools. I talked to the thomas cook rep and she said to me that they were aware of it last season and were waiting on the health and safety officer to come in and inspect it again then make their recommendations to the hotel. I find it totally unacceptable that they couldnt put the same non slip mats down that they had at the main pool. Oh yeah and everything at the hotel is very expensive. its cheaper in the uk for some of the luxuries they provide. All in all it was my worst ever holiday and dont think ill ever go back to turkey."

• Travel date: 4th May 2007

Perfect Hotel Perfect Stay

Reviewed 25th October 2012

"Just got back from here stayed for a week with my girlfriend All-Inclusive, was worried initially as I thought I had booked the apartments (Cettia Apartments) adjacent to the Grand Cettia, which did not look impressive, but the Grand Cettia was excellent clean rooms furnished nicely we stayed in 307 on 3rd floor, cleaned every day. The Hotel was perfect the food was different every day and had a great variety traditional turkish food, breakfast you could have continental, the scrambled egg was too watery but they have a chef outside who would cook you a friend egg or omelettes. You havre to go all inclusive because the deal is great, when breakfast and lunch finish they open the lighthouse snack bar 2 - 4 which is basic handburgers, pizza, an chips outside. The only problem with All Inclusive was the drinks stopped at 11, but lets put it like this they weren't stingy with the measurements of the vodka ! the beer on all-inclusive was danish Tuborg was ok but nothing special. Aswell as the 2 outside bars, they have the Sherlock Homes pub which has an authentic feel about it. I requested a sea view on the middle floor and got exactly this it was lovely looked out onto the harbour, the pool area was kept clean every day by the staff. Entertainment for children did not seem to be much but this was out of season so may change, the staff are cool and will ask you do you want to participate any of the activities i.e. Killer Pool, Darts, they won't harass you though so be nice. The hotel has a doctor on site too as on our last day a child from the cettia partments had to be rushed into the the Grand cettia for a knock on his head. Across the road from the cettia apartments is a shop where yopu can get basics, ands they will do you 100 ciggies for £10 ! Don't feel intimidated by Josef from the Pasha Jewellery shop in the hotel he is cool and will not harass you, so feel free to look in thre shop it looks fancy and is but don't be intimidated. If anyone would like to ask me any specific questions please email me. I am a very fussy scouser too and was happy with this hotel so would defo go back !"

• Travel date: 30th April 2007

Fantastic Hotel

Reviewed 6th November 2012

"We went to Marmaris in Turkey for the first time last year and booked with Co-op Travel. We were not sure about the hotel but decided to go ahead and book. We were there for a week and loved every minute of it. The hotel was really grand in every way. The staff were helpful and really nice. Food was good and the location was good too. We had a pool view and at night the the pool area around the hotel was stunning. They had entertainment every night, it was so good that we didnt want to venture out into the main resort. Everything about this hotel was excellent and I cannot express in words how good it was. I would recommend this hotel for any age group whetheer single or with families."

• Travel date: 15th January 2007