126 Traveller reviews from Holiday Watchdog
Holiday from hell
" Where do I start after,after looking forward to our holiday for so long it went bad straight away after being out all day with my partner and 2 children all day in the Turkish bath we returned to our room to find that Â£1200 had been taken from our safe.
I went straight to reception and reported it to the hotel staff and what a waste of time that was she said nothing she can do, I went and found the Thomas Cook Rep name is Cellse who also didn't care she said the same as the hotel staff " nothing I can do" what an absolute joke, our first day in turkey no money no food our water and the hotel or Thomas cook not once asked us if we need anything they totally avoided us all week. If it wasn't for our family and the local people across from the apartments we would have starved. Roxane is full of s**t she said all week that she would give us written report and printouts of who had been in our room on the day of the money going missing and on the last day when we asked for them she and the manager refused point blank they lied to us all week saying they would give them to us. The Thomas cook rep should have been there to help us but not once did she approach us to ask if we were OK and the only time she came to our room was when we weren't there she post a leaflet through our door asking if we would like to go on an excursion on our last day I think that's all she can do is sell day trips,we pay all that money for people like here to help us when we need them the most and they just don't care.... SHOCKING..... "
- Travel date: Thu 1st of September 2016
"Stayed last week of September rooms were very clean ,staff friendly,very warm in bedroom as air con was situated in lounge ,food was reasonable,not much outdoor space at Maine hotel pool crammed together literally two inches between beds ,twenty min walk to beach approx forty min to harbor were the Maine shops are ,one tip do not go on quad bike safari what a rip off they just want to take your pic not ride quads all pictures of mud etc are made up through ing mud over you and using house pipe ,safari is actually only in a field also brakes on quads are rubbish"
- Travel date: Mon 9th of September 2013
WORST HOEL EVER
"my family and i ahd been going to these apartments for 10 years and the last time we were their was in oct 2011 we had never known the staff to be ignorant and rude in all the years we had been going. the apartment they tried to p ut s in a studio 3 kids and 2 adults. we were not having a studio as we had paid for a apartment thye gave us the one with the genarator below us we never once had our apartment cleaned never had clean towels in our 2 week stay.their was no entertanment when the weather was bad it rained the full second week and the kids had nothing to do but watch the telly as we had paid for brittish channels so this year in oct 2012 we have booked to go to another apartments in marmaris and never agin to these"
- Travel date: Mon 4th of February 2013
"exelent hotel appartments wee stayed there for a week 12th may 2011 , had a great time staff couldnt be an nicer , and couldnt do enough for ya , we went for my daughters 16th birthday they got me a cake for her fireworks , we had a ball it was just so great and spotless clean , first time in turkey and im looking to go back in august i so cant wait to return ,, bet holiday ever . "
- Travel date: Sun 19th of June 2011
"it was nice to stay there we was there for weeks with my family everythink was nice when we was went to go out we was go to forevers bar all the time its only on the main road if u stay around there u should definally try kebabs and baked potatoes in forevers u will love it thank u very much for everythink steve cant wait to have nice kebab and breakfast mark,stacy.and john"
- Travel date: Sat 14th of May 2011
Worst holiday ever! Do not go to this hotel!
"Well where should i start???:
1) 90% of non english speaking staff including reception. Very unhelpfull.
2) No entertainment for children during/throughout the day untill 8.30pm.
3) Dirty and cramped rooms. Mould & mildew on outside patio furniture, dead flies, smelly drains. Dirty carpets. Smelly, damp room. Broken curtain pole where we couldn't close the curtains properley.
4) Very rude and smelly waiters, some of them have no personal hygiene which puts you off eating. Dont want to do anything you ask. Love young girls, kiss, cuddle and dance with them - please be very aware!
5) No wifi throughout the hotel
6) No internet access that actually works.
7) Terrible gym, equipment didn't work properley & very pervey staff. I had to stop going because of this.
8) Terrible food, very repetitive. Chips, nuggets & cheese pizza. Same chicken curry, turkey curry. Didn't cater for religion that doesn't eat beef as they had 3 lots of beef dishes on at night. Not enough variety for a 4* hotel. No lasagna's, shepherds pie, pasta's ect.
9) No english fry ups. No sausages or bacon. Same breakfast every single day.
10) Childrens entertainers, rude & very, very pervey. Disgusting. Throwing young kids in very cold pools fully clothed!! like my child - what if they couldn't swim???
11) Break dancing entertainment had scenes involving penises and very scary masks. Great for young kids(!)
12) Very shortage of towels. For 2 adults and 2 children we was given 3 big towels and 1 hand towel.
13) Hotels kids club (jersey/josie? and ashleigh) let our 7 year old out twice in 6 days without our consent, we found him wondering around the hotel!
14) No indoor entertainment when we had thunderstorms, everyone just sat in the lobby, the sherlock holmes pub or our rooms as we wasn't even allowed to sit in the restraunt.
15) Very limited alcohol, vodka, whisky and beer. Anything else you have to pay Â£4 for.
16) No free ice creams - beaware - you have to pay!!! all inclusive is a joke here!
17) Beach is not 1.5miles. Half an hour walk. Better to get the number 3 bus which takes you into the town centre and to the beach. (comes every 10 mins at bottom of the hotel)
18) Very rude and un helpfull guest relations lady - martha. Hotel is always right and guests are always wrong.
19) Food poisoning via salad bar, sauces, dressings, yogurts.
20) No fresh fruit or yogurts served. Always sugary syrup filled cakes for dessert.
21) Filthy beach, not clean, all volcanic sand not actually sand!
22) Beauty and spa treatments are not free - all have to be paid for.
23) Not enough sunbeds, all cramped together, toe to heel!
24) Alot of the male staff at the hotel love to just pick up young girls, kiss, cuddle and dance with them - we and other guests here found this very indecent and uncomfortable. When we complained to guest relations we were told that this is what they did in turkey. Strangers kissing our 2 year old daughter?? no thankyou. Not everyone is from turkey though are they!
25) Kids entertainers would find ways of amusing themselves by pushing kids into pools fully clothed & also then shoving kids out of the way to get infront of them.
26) Very, very rude shop keepers in the hotel, newsagent aswell as the jewellery store. Very pervey. I had to get my partner to go for me everytime we needed something and i had to find other routes to avoid them.
27) Laundry room is a very, very small room, no room to sort out washing and the machines are the same size as the ones in the uk but the costs are Â£12.50 per machine!! we had 5 loads to do which would of costed us Â£62.50! so we ended up washing some of our clothes in the bath with shop bought soap powder - so much cheaper.
28) If like us you have a room that faces a block of apartments and have no sun on your patio/balcony - do not use the dryers in the laundry room as they shrink all your clothes, low tempreture drying which took 2 hours+ to dry but also shrinks them!
29) Very, very cramped restraunt, best to eat at 8.15-9.00pm to avoid sharing tables with other people or being elbow to elbow. One table serving 4 had 6 chairs cramped together.
30) Very, very dirty microwave in restraunt, hadn't been cleaned in the 2 weeks that we was there and we used in twice a day to warm our babies milk. Complained but was just told " okay, okay"
31) I wouldn't eat after 9.15pm, allthough dinner is served untill 9.30pm food gets taken away and the restraunt lights get turned off just after 9.30pm wether your eating or not. We found this extremley rude, we had paid for the food we was eating so why should we eat it in the dark???
32) Sherlock holmes pub has hardly any space to sit as there are hardly any tables or chairs to sit on.
33) One of the kids entertainers terrified my children and we did our upmost to avoid him. His version if kids "entertaining" was to walk around calling guests "gay lords" joking about "one on one, man to man room servicing" even mentioning this on stage infront of families with young children - we was absolutly appalled. He then would kiss young girls/babies saying " i love you baby, durty, durty". We found this deeply disturbing. :(
34) Ciggerette burned bedding and only got changed once in the 2 weeks that we were there.
35) Sofa bed was as hard as rocks, was better sleeping on the floor.
36) Large ant infestation outside where we even found some in our beds and in our daughters clean nappy!
37) After raining or outside cleaning it was very wet and slippy, we got drenched and slipped numerous of times as to dry this all up was not nessesary by the hotel.
38) Beaware the photos are not the same, there is one baby pool and one large pool with a slide, no pool here has a big orange swirly slide in it.
39) Pool was absolutly freezing, indoor and outdoor. Should of been warmed up so people could even go in it.
40) Dirty glasses and cutlery, still had lipstick marks on a glass even though i was using a straw!
All in all would i go to this hotel again - never. I would rate it a 2* hotel, not even that. We have been to canada, spain, india and now turkey. We have stayed all inclusive in a 3* hotel for Â£150 more but and been treated as if we went to a 5* hotel. (hotel samoa, majorca, spain.) so this 4* hotel isn't even a mark on that. We had good expectations as we had read the reviews, how there are so many good reviews and not enough bad ones is such a surprise to us as we spoke to alot of guests who we came friends with and they were as distraught as us.
We have come back upset, under weight, more stressed then before and just basically distraught and want to forget the whole holiday. Marmaris is a beautifull place, such a shame that we had to go to this hotel, we even asked our rep how much it would cost to book flights to go back to the uk early.
My kids were bored to death, thankfully we took our psp and dvd player as these were the only entertainment we had to keep us going. We had no entertainment during the day at all. The hotel made up all the rules as they went along and changed them when they suited them.
The weather was 50% rain and 50% sun when we was there and this was already a downer. If the hotel had not enough staff or entertainment on or was not the right season then the hotel should be shut, they just had it open during this time to make some money out of hard wroking people like ourselves who only get 21 days out of a whole year to have a break, unfortunatly it was a break from hell that we just want to forget!"
- Travel date: Sat 7th of May 2011
"We were in Grand Cettia Hotel one week.Never again. Check in take ages-10 people 1,5 hour.In room basic.Room dirty and dusty.First two days they didn't change even towels so we had to ask to clean our room Guest Relation than they came and room was more less clean.Restaurant-food was good but service terrible they don't care about anything.I wasn't in 4 star hotel it was 2 or 3 but not 4 star.Hotel is beautiful but staff in all department need a proper training with hospitality.Till now I cant understand haw is possible that in 4 star hotel with all inclusive I had to pay for safe? I cant recommended this hotel because is to expensive for the standard witch is going behind. "
- Travel date: Mon 8th of November 2010
"Just back from a week at the Grand Cettia Hotel. Went with Thomas Cook, (must say their rep at the hotel (Lucy) was so helpful). Loved it, nice clean large rooms, lovely bathroom, friendly staff, meals, a large selection, always plenty to tempt you. The spa is fantastic, had a sauna, body scrub turkish mud bath and massage Â£35 for 2 hours of heaven, so relaxing and my skin feels so soft, a must if you want to unwind.
Ok Hotel is a bit back from the main hub of Marmaris, but if you cant stand the boom boom of the nightclubs then its perfect. You can always get a dolmus (just 1.5TL each) at the bottom of the incline leading up to the hotel into the center of Marmaris if the night life is what you want. Yes we did hear some people complaining about the food and weather, all I can say is fussy, do they live in an a la carte restaurant at home, I think not, and, ok it would have been nice to get constant sun but it's the start of the rainy season, if you want constant sunshine then go in June, July and August. We went for a chill out and relax to set us up for the winter, thats exactly what we got. No complaints from us. 4 star yes I do believe it is. Would I go back to this hotel. Yes I would."
- Travel date: Thu 21st of October 2010
A Good time all round
"Just returned from a weeks break along with 18 others had a FAB time hotel was spotless, kids club was really good had four children in it and they had a ball staff in the club were excellent(Thomas Cook). Spa inside although quite a bit more expensive (Â£35) than outside hotel (Â£10) for a Turkish bath was well worth it done them both and the hotel one was 100 times better and didnt mind paying the extra. The food was very repetative chicken nuggets pizza chips chicken turkey and mince in every dish, was glad food wise we were only there for a week. Small shop inside hotel is very expensive for everything and with children they want want want but you will pay at least double in this shop."
- Travel date: Sat 9th of October 2010
Dont go there
"We were suppose to go for a 2 week family holiday, The first week wasnt to bad everyone crammed round the pool on sun beds with very little space to move. The outside bar was only 2 drinks at a time which was a pain. The food in the restaurant was mainly chicken and turkey in differant sauces or grilled with rice and veg every day or if really unlucky it was the same at lunch time and dinner. At the begining of the second week we started to become ill with sicness and diarrhea along with a large number of other people in the hotel, I was still ill when we travelled home which was on the Friday, I am still off work and waiting for test results back from my local hospital to see what it was, on our day of departure we found out that the holiday rep for the hotel was off work ill after stating that no one in the hotel was ill, Basiclly we had a spoiled second week and wound not go back to this hotel"
- Travel date: Wed 6th of October 2010
Shocking Hotel 2 Star at best
"Absolutely dreadful hotel with too many people cramped into far too smaller footprint - the brochure photo's do a great job of giving the impression of space but do not be fooled there isn't any. It is heel to toe sun loungers with barely enough room to navigate to the dangerously overcrowded pool. All this makes it cramped, overcrowded and means you queue for sunbeds, tables for dinner and drinks. Ridiculous that you were restricetd to 2 drinks per person and the queues were extensive.
The main hotel block is truly awful with air con that barely works, restricted for a few hours per day and no double beds. One tip is to complain like hell and you do get moved to the smaller adjacent block where the rooms are actually very nice and the air con works on demand.
The food is canteen style and poor quality. The Chef should be congratuleated for what he can do with mince and turkey - and you get it everyday.
Along with most of the guests we spoke to we came down with sickness and diarrhoea and some guests were admitted to hospital and put on drips. The hotel could not explain this bout of sickness although lots of cleaning started shortly after.
The waiters are only friendly if you have a daughter over the age of 10. The entertainment is generally left to the local workers who tried hard and some of the shows were OK. The reps enetetainment was non-existent. The kids playground was locked and you were only allowed in if you sent your kids to the kids club - something mine did not want to do.
- Travel date: Sun 26th of September 2010
good hospitality,very clean,average food
"Just returned from hotel Cettia two days ago following two weeks all inclusive holiday there.
The hotel is immaculately clean throughout and the staff are very polite,helpful and friendly and the facilities within the hotel are excellent.The only let down was the food which was very repetative and got somewhat boring after the first week.The free beer available to all inclusive guests was of very poor quality rather like vinegar and the burgers at the show time bar were of very poor quality.In our opinion all inclusive is not good value for money and in future we would favour self catering.Marmaris is a pleasant walk away and is really a turkish equivalent of blackpool with a very nice promenade and bazzar with a very long safe beach but not much else. "
- Travel date: Sat 25th of September 2010