Grand Hotel Kurdoglu

Yatlimani Karsisi, Kusadasi 09400 Turkey

Good

Excellent Holiday

"My Friend and i have just returned from a two week stay in the Grand Kurdoglu Hotel and had a brilliant holiday, the service was excellent. We were a bit wary after reading all the reviews,but the rooms were spotless and bedding and towels changed regularly.There were four meals daily, breakfast, lunch (three course) Snacks( burger and chips) and the evening meal again(three course) i must have put on about a stone in weight, the fresh fruit was delicious, Cherries,strawberries and peaches.
The waiters were very helpful and couldn't do enough for us, i have been to five star hotels and did not recieve the service i got here. the hotel is in an excellent location and i would recommend the Green Island restaraunt for an evenings entertainment and the Golden Oldies Karaoke Pub. these were two of a few enjoyable places to visit. We would certainly go here again"

• Travel date: Tue 26th of June 2007

Served the purpose

"After reading the below reviews, I was absolutely terrified about going to this hotel!! We had got it as a late deal on teletext.
However, I must say it really wasn't that bad! It was very tidy and although the staff didn't speak perfect english, they went out of their way to try and understand and help you.
As for the portions of the food.. yes they were small, but its a buffet!!! You can go back as many times as you want!! There was a lot of salad and bread but you could have that for a starter and then have a hot meal main course. It may be difficult for those with small children who are picky eaters!!
If your looking for a place to rest your head thats fine. We only used the hotel as a base. Ate out once, (which wasn't expensive £30 for 2 course meal for 2 and loads of drink!) but seriously you can't measure it by our standards. As the rep. said its a standard hotel so expect basic provisons.
There was no entertainment but you are just of the main strip and if you get a bit tippsy a taxi is only a couple of lira.

I'm writing this as we had a good holiday for the price we paid for. Go expect the unexpected and remember a holiday is what YOU make do not relye on others to do it for you!!"

• Travel date: Sun 24th of September 2006

Take no notice!!

Good

"Stayed here with my teenage kids for week commencing 17th July. I was terrified that it would be a disaster having read all the previous reviews. The hotel was spotless, the rooms were always clean. The staff were superb and geniunely friendly. If I can offer a tip - there are gratuity boxes dotted about the place. Make sure the staff see you place a small donation and you will be looked after for the remainder of your stay. Turkey is big on tipping! The roof pool was clean, however, there is a superb pool across the road which is also included in your AI package. You are free to use this facility but you need to come back to the hotel for drinks. As for the food, yes, there is a lot of salad, dips and ricey dishes but hot meals are always available down the far end of the restaurant (where you will also find a 'tip-box'!!). I loved the food!
We met up with 2 different families and shared days-out. Both the other families were of the same opinion as myself regarding the hotel and we all very much enjoyed our stay!! In conclusion, if you are looking for a reasonably priced enjoyable holiday and you can be flexible and not expect Michellin Star food you should not be disappointed. One final thought.... nearly all hotel reviews are worrying, just check a few..... maybe some reviews are not from tourists but from competition nearby..... just a thought!!"

• Travel date: Mon 31st of July 2006

Grand its not, by a long distance.

"Just back from this shambles two days ago. This was sold as a four star hotel and fully inclusive. The food was aweful, breafast consists of salad and cereal some of which looked very questionable, in fact every meal througout the day evolved around the provision of salads, meat dishes were often chicken or lamb poorly cooked. The portions served up by the staff were small and you had to stand and demand more food was placed on your plate, all food stuffs I found to be totally tastless.

The bar served the cheapest drinks, the beer glasses were rearely served 75% full, coke was some kind of cheapo brand and much like the food it was tastless. The bar provided no snacks.

The roof swimming pool was always cloudy due to the absense of a pool side shower, and was used by the hotel owner's daughters for entertaining themselves and friends. The snacks servered at the pool area for one hour in the afternoon filled a small hole but lacked quality and poorly cooked.

The garden area is sparsely grassed, and I had some amusement at watching a member of staff watering the mud!

The only good thing I can say about this hole, is that the rooms where clean and tidy, if you don't mind living in a travel lodge for a week then you won't be bothered by this accomodation.

To summarise, everything in this hotel is done on the cheap and very low quality the ethos of managament follows that of scourge. I will never recommend this place and will be extremely fussy the next time I visit Turkey. It was a cheap holiday but no excuse for poor hygien, poorly cooked food and staff who appeared to be tired (no wonder doing a 14 hour day) and lacked training. Such a disappointment."

• Travel date: Thu 29th of June 2006

Never again

"5 of us stayed at the grand kurdoglu in june 06, the staff are nice and helpful, the rooms are clean and the maid comes in daily. We found 2 main problems with this hotel,

1 Food. Quality, quantity and choice was very poor.
Plenty of cold salads, cheese and ham also things on plates that weren't labelled so you haven't a clue what you're eating but we did recognise cold chips mixed with red sauce on one of the plates one night. Hot food was a joke, 1st the fact that they call it hot and 2nd having to stand and near enough argue to get 10 chips with your evening meal or more than half a normal sized tablespoon of anything else starts to become a bore after the 1st few days, at one point we were served chicken that was only halfed cooked as they hadn't cooked enough for the guests there in the 1st place.

Snacks were available for 1 hour per day and consisted of 2 different types of lukewarm food, again in half rations unless you stood there and refused to move until they put more than 2 meatball looking things on your plate, again choice of salad, cheese and ham.

Hot food for breakfast was 2 minute or 6 minute boiled eggs ( like water or hard boiled ) or on the odd day they would bring out a frying pan and treat you to a fried egg, or have some sort of scrambled egg, no toaster just some type of toastie machine that held 2 small pieces of bread if you were lucky. Choice of 2 cereals, jam, honey, cheese and ham.

Not all cold drinks are covered by all inclusive, orange juice, bicardi, whiskey or cocktails are charged for if you want them.

2 Entertainment There is none
There was no entertainment morning noon or night, they have a television in the lounge area showing turkish channels.

I would never make the mistake of coming to this hotel again, it was okay as somewhere to rest your head and would be ideal as a bed and breakfast hotel but a joke as a 3* all inclusive, would never dream of bringing children here, we spent more time away from the hotel and eating out as coming back to the hotel to beg for food kind of spoilt the holiday, was lucky we were only here for a week, if we had booked for 2 weeks would have demanded to be moved or put on a plane home."

• Travel date: Mon 19th of June 2006

What do you expect for £8 per night?

"My party of 7 stayed at the hotel in August and I was really frightened that I had made a big mistake having read all the reviews. As I had chosen the hotel to stop in I was waiting for an onslaught of complaints by my party, who stopped in 3 rooms. I took into account all the previous reviews, and agree with all the comments. But all I can say in defense is that we paid around £8 per person per night, for accommodation, all you can eat (ok maybe you might not want to eat what they serve?), all you can drink (ok - you have to return the glass to get a refill). But you get what you pay for. Where else can you get such good value? Two mins away from the hotel at full english breakfast was served costing £9! This was more than the cost of the AI and accommodation per night.
If you ventured to bar street, drinks were around £2.50 for a beer, up to £5 for a cocktail. We got tanked up on the AI, then went to Bar Street and spent very little. It was also great during the day when you could fill up on soft drinks if you wanted (and they never refused to serve us alcohol).

Who said Turkey was cheap? If it wasn't for the hotel, I'd have spent a fortune. I ate there every day, and looked forward to the mid afternoon snacks of burger or pizza. I could have spent a small fortune eating elsewhere, but I decided to stick with what I'd been given. You can make the most of your holiday - we all did. Including flights we had a 2 week break ' All Inclusive ' for £370 per person. Where else could you get such a bargain, in school holidays, for that price? I hope this helps people who are thinking of going there. I will certainly return sometime."

• Travel date: Mon 20th of February 2006

Disgrace

"What a rip-off! This hotel has no concept of 'all inclusive' The lobby bar has been closed since april. Only available bar is 5 floors up on the roof. obviously designed to limit the amount of drinks given out.
Self-service food does not apply to the 'hot food' which is served by chef. A spoonful and a half per person! That is if you got any as the trays are never replaced. Salads are laid out on a table covered in clingfilm in temps of 40 degrees plus, not chilled.
The management are so mean that even the water chiller is removed at 11pm the same time as the all inclusive ends.
Do not waste your time!"

• Travel date: Fri 12th of August 2005

WHAT A JOKE NOT GRAND AT ALL.........

"this as got to be one of the worst holidays i have ever had. the whole thing was a joke from start to finish. and dont go there if you have kids cos there is NOTHING for them to do.
i dont think they know what all inclusive means in the hotel either.
one thing for sure i will not be going any where near the place ever again.
karen, michael(13) karen kate(13) and kyle(7)"

• Travel date: Thu 30th of June 2005

what a joke...

"We have just returned from kusadasi this morning and we feel that after our week long stay at the grand hotel kurdoglu we must help other families not endure the misconception of the all inclusive policy of this hotel. We have been to turkey 4 times and this has to be the ultimate let down. this hotel misrepresents all aspects of the all inclusive concept, the food was sparce and of no chioce for the whole week ,if you can eat salad 7 days a week for both lunch and dinner then you will be fine, Breakfast , not even a toaster, again very poor no choice and one hotel waiter trying to cook a very thin and small omelette over a camping stove. this was the worst all inclusive we have ever endured, Even when we complained after coming down to breakfast 25 mins into breakfast time and finding nothing to eat as nothing had been refilled of the small selection available we were told no more, and what did we expect at a 3 star hotel in turkey. Well what we did expect was the same as everyother 3 star all inc hotel we have stayed in in turkey and that has always been excellent. the other aspect of all inc is your drinks, well no named soft drinks as advertised and very few alcoholic drinks to choose from although personally not a big drinker. can't have another drink in till you have finished the one you have been drinking, so dont think you will get a few in before closing time at 11 oclock. There is no entertainment at all only a tv in lobby which consists of repeated music videos played over and over again. Also as the hotel has a terrece on the 5th floor where you queue for you rations of food there is also a small bar which you must use , as the lobby bar is not open so if you wish to sit in the lobby for a change you have to go 5 floors for a drink. The complaints system is nil, if you complain to the management you will have no joy and if you complain to your med hotel rep she will side with the management and at the end of the day you will get nowhere or like ourselfs probally told that if you discuss you complaints with other guest you will be removed from the hotel. This hotel is not all inc the whole concept of all inc is that everthing is on tap and not revolved around times changed several times throughout our stay by the management. This hotel is not suitable for families as there is nothing for children to do, the pool area on the roof is only suitable for 30 people and that is a quarter of the hotel capacity therefore the pool which is advertised as ther own across the busy road is the only other chioce however remember NO FOOD OR DRINK can be taken from the hotel, so your all inc concept is viod when using this part of the hotel facilities. overall this hotel is a huge disapointment."

• Travel date: Thu 23rd of June 2005

Definitely not for families

"Have just arrived back from a fortnight in the Grand Kurdoglu and let me tell you it is not Grand. The swimming pool that was advertised did not belong to the hotel although I think that has been removed from the site now. The hotel is billed as all inclusive but is far from that. The swimming pool that belongs to the hotel is 1.6m deep with no shallow end and is tiny, and is on the roof of the hotel with railings that are just over waist height. The floor is slippery with steps that lead up to it that are lethal if wet. That means that if you have children with you, you have to use the pool across a (busy) road opposite. The catch there is that you cannot bring the drinks or food there which means you must buy it from the Dimple Cafe next to the pool, defeating the object of going all-inclusive, especially with children who want drinks and food all the time!!!

The food in the hotel is limited in variety and quantity. Managed to get a kids buffet for the second week which consisted of chips and spaghetti every day but that disappeared after a couple of days! They changed the times of breakfast, lunch and dinner to an hour at a time and if the food was gone, tough it was gone!! Snack time which was advertised as burgers, pizzas, chips, toasted sandwiches from 2.30 till 5pm changed to chips, Turkish pizza and plain pasta with no sauce all served cold up on the roof terrace at 3pm, again when it was gone, tough! Which meant if you wanted it you had to cross the road with the children, go up to the roof in lifts with no internal doors (yes, really no internal doors!!!!) and take your chances if there was any left and it was edible, that would be a miracle.

The drinks were always half glasses and tiny ones at that, even for soft drinks! They were meant to be served until 11pm but kept stopping before on the orders of the Manager. They changed the drinks that were on the Unlimited list so that in the end it was only Vodka, Gin and Raki! The staff were told to do lagers with a large head which was half the drink and they were only half pint glasses in the first place, they do not have any larger! Unlimited drinks obviously has not quite filtered through to this manager who wanted the staff to check that you had finished your previous drink so you could not have two at a time. Unlimited means no limit surely, I wouldn't mind but I don't even drink alcohol and they were even limiting the soft drinks. There is no entertainment at all at this hotel so you are having to go out in the evenings and spend money or die of boredom!! The satellite T.V is four turkish channels, the music system does not work and is actually painted over, the indoor pool is empty, the gym equipment is dangerous and we actually got it locked while we were there as the children would get hurt in there, the billiard table had broken cues and balls missing, the turkish bath was not open in the fortnight we were there, need I go on!!

The other thing is that if you have an evening flight, which is highly likely in Turkey, your all inclusive band is removed at 12pm and you then have to buy all your drinks and food which is more expensive than the bars outside. While we were there, one family paid £25 to keep just their room on, whilst another couple went to an internet cafe and booked a room with all inclusive for £7 each. So basically if you are a resident they can rip you off so be aware!

On the plus side, the staff (other than the manager) were fantastic, loved the children and were very helpful. The maids cleaned the rooms every day and changed the towels daily also. We met some nice people and made the best of a bad situation but I would definitely not go back to the Grand Kurdoglu (if it were in Britain, they could be prosecuted under Trade Descriptions, nothing Grand at all now, maybe thirty years ago!)

Kusadasi itself was really nice, found some great restaurants (a case of having to, the food was so bad in the hotel!) If you are going to Kusadasi, try Green Island on the main Ataturk Boulevard, Pams Restaurant up near the top of the Boulevard and the Redwood Bar/Restaurant (they come and collect you from your hotel and take you back). Dolmus service is fantastic for one lira each and taxis cheap. For entertainment, try the Golden Oldies Karoake Bar opposite the Bazaar, they do all the dances and it is a great laugh!

So for anyone thinking of going to Kusadasi, I say definitely go, the people are fantastic, it's a nice place but DO NOT STAY AT THE GRAND KURDOGLU if you have children or like to eat normal food or drink. We will go back to Kusadasi because we met so many nice Turkish people who made our holiday better than the hell it could have been had we just stayed in the hotel all the time. Whilst we were there, everybody was complaining and most of us filed complaints while we were there which is something I have never done before on any previous holiday. Who knows maybe they will read them and rectify the problems but with that manager, I doubt it!!"

• Travel date: Mon 13th of June 2005

Disappointing Hotel

"We stayed in this hotel for 12 days and it was very disappointing for a supposedly 4 star hotel. In one review I read that it had been totally renovated 5 years ago. There is no way that this could have been true. The only way I can describe it is dilapidated. There were lots of people who asked to change their rooms and everyone who asked were always told to come back the next day when they would change them but this spoilt the first day of the holiday as you could not unpack and the second day as you then had to move and then unpack! The first room we were given was tiny with a view of old buildings. The bathroom did not look as if it had been cleaned and when we used the shower on the first morning the shower tray filled up and the water had to be turned off until it emptied a bit. Our second room had a much better view and was a more normal size and although the bathroom looked cleaner it was very shabby. There was carpet on the bedroom floor but this was not vacumed during our stay and the balcony and bathroom floors were never washed. The food in the hotel was passable but again certainly not up to the standard of a four star hotel. The pool area was not cleaned very well. The maids used to come up with a mop and bucket in the mornings just before 9am and washed around the sun loungers which were never cleared away so that the area could be properly cleaned, it was never hosed down during our stay! The sun loungers themselves were absolutely filthy as were the tables around the pools. These were never cleaned at all and I have plenty of photographs to substantiate this. We never saw anyone clean the pool in the hotel although we did see the one across the road being cleaned which you could use if you wanted to. My husband asked for the "key" to use their Wi-FI in reception and was actually charged 5TL for this . As anyone will know it is only a number they give you and I have never heard anyone charging for this before. Incidentally if you are going to stay at this hotel the number for their Wi-FI is 458 721 654 8012. We asked if we could keep our room for the last day and were told it would cost us £30. I easily negotiated this down with the manager to £20 which seemed more reasonable. The area itself is fantastic and I would recommend Kusadasi as a holiday destination but I would certainly look around for a better hotel.

• Travel date: Mon 8th of November 2010

Hell Hole

"Worst dump I have ever stayed at. Went all inclusive...The food was buffet style, there was about 200 guests and enough food for 50 so huge queues build up at the restraunt door prior to opening time. As soon as the doors opened there was a huge rush to see who could grab a bit of food before it had all gone [there was no further food when it was gone] The chef just sai 'Is Finish' all the time.A lot of people just went elsewhere to eat but those on a budget has the fight like animals to eat. People complained to the management but they basically dont give a toss [they have had your money, so what are you gonna do about it]
The drinks included was local beer, wine which was like vinegar and local spirits which ran out after a couple of days [I think there was just one bottle of each].
There was no entertainments at all, well if you count a small TV in the foyet showing Spanish music channel. The kids in the hotel were so bored they occupied themselves by constantly going up and down in the lifts [the parents close to suicide by this stage].
The advertised facilities [indoor pool,sauna etc] were all 'closed for renovations' [permenantly I think] There is a small rooftop pool and a larger pool over the road. Although it belongs to the hotel you are not allowed to take your all inclusive drinks or food there, you must buy from the pool bar??.The website looked very nice..the sea being only 100 metres away. This is true but what they dont mention is there is a private marina in your way and you have to walk about a mile around it to get to the beach , sorry I mean some rocks and a few lorryloads of sand which has been dumped there.
The hotel is on the outskirts of town and has no attractions nearby. You need a local bus or good legs to get to the tourist area.
I went once but never again. Kusadsi is not a good holiday resort, there is not much there to keep you occupied. There are lots of much better places in Turkey. If you must go to Kusadasi, dont go to the Grand Kurdoglu or you will be sorry."

• Travel date: Sun 19th of September 2010

Hotels near Grand Hotel Kurdoglu

Stayed at Grand Hotel Kurdoglu? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Grand Hotel Kurdoglu

• Diane. by Diane.

"Its great for clubbing and cochtailes. Lovely views. "

• holidaymaker007 by holidaymaker007

"the boat trip was really good "

• scouser09 by scouser09

"A great resort allthough some hassle at the market "

• scouser09 by scouser09

"ephisus, boat trip (amores 1), Ayhan resturant situated on the harbour, murphys bar "

• libra_chick by libra_chick

"gorgeous weather and pervy!! "

• libra_chick by libra_chick

"Murphy's or Casablanca "

• dianegully by dianegully

"its a great place to visit and id strongly recoment horseriding as you go out all day "

• dianegully by dianegully

"we found some friendly restarants in walking distance "

• spunky by spunky

"Avoid Like the Plague "

• Buck1 by Buck1

"Pamukkale worth the 6 hour bus ride. Check for best prices at beach front travel agents "

Grand Hotel Kurdoglu is also called