Fantastic Roof Terrace

Reviewed Sat 17th of November 2012

"The Yasmak Sultan is a perfect location to see all the highlights of Istanbul. Walking distance to the major sites, The Blue Mosque, The Grand Bazzar, Spice Market etc. Just around the corner is a quite street full of wonderful restaurants.

The roof terrace has great views over the Bosporus and a great way to start the day over a very filling breakfast. The staff are very friendly and helpful, thanks again to Pinar.

Overall it is excellent value for money.

Garry T"

• Travel date: Tue 9th of October 2007

Wonderful Service and Great Location

Reviewed Wed 7th of November 2012

"This is a great botique hotel in the middle of one of the best places to center yourself if you are interested in seeing the sights in Istanbul. From the minute we walked in the staff was extremely attentive. Everyone spoke English and went out of there way to see if there was anything extra they could do for us. Room was cozy but comforatable, breakfast was tasty and wait staff very friendly. Outstanding views from the terrace. Great location if you want to walk to the sights and handy to other parts of the town. We would definetly return to this hotel"

• Travel date: Thu 20th of September 2007

What not to love.Every thing was excellent...

Reviewed Wed 7th of November 2012

"I was in Istanbul to see the F1 race and decided to stay in Yasmak Sultan Hotel. It as a pleasent experience from the beginin. They had free transfers from the airport which was very convenient. Check in process was smooth and everybody seems what they were doing. They were very professional and helpfull. Especially there was lady just started to work at the hotel, name is Pinar, she was very knowledgeable about the area and the on going F1 race. They just made my short stay a memorible one. The restaurant view was spectacular, the service, food...excellent. Also i have to mentioned the F1 party that they threw. From the food that has been served to the pleasent atmosphere that has been created was very relaxing and enjoyable. I should say i like the belly dancer show a lot. I was a one very happy customer and deffinately suggest this place to all my friends.
Thanks"

• Travel date: Wed 5th of September 2007

One day we will come back!

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"During our trip to Istanbul in August 2007, we stayed in Yasmak Sultan Hotel for 12 days. The location of the hotel is excellent. It's close from everything, the tramway station, the train station,and all the places you would like to visit in Istanbul, Haghia Sofia, Blue Mosque,Topkapi palace,Grand Bazaar, Sultanahmet, citernes.... The service in the hotel is excellent and the personnel is very friendly. We enjoyed everything in the hotel, the room, the room service and especially the breakfast at the hotel's terrace where you can eat in a very nice atmosphere and look over all the city, the view from the terrace is fascinating. Finally what we will never forget is Miss Pinar's smile, welcoming all the hotel's guest. We are sure that we will be back one day.

Homere & Jihad ( From Lebanon)"

• Travel date: Tue 4th of September 2007

Not Great but ok Hotel

Reviewed Tue 6th of November 2012

"It can"t be catogorise as a 4 star Hotel.Probably a 2 star. The hotel caters manily for group tours. The rooms/toilets were small compare to other hotel we stayed in Istanbul.

We do not feel the friendliness of the staff. Location wise there are cheaper hotels in better location.
Overall the hotel is over estimated. I would expect more if there is a 4 star label on the hotel, but Yasmak Sultan can"t keep up with it.
There are other options in sultanmet."

• Travel date: Mon 30th of July 2007

not to be catogarised as a 4 star hotel

Reviewed Wed 31st of October 2012

"Room - did not get value for money. Tiny double room with hardly any space for 2 people to move around. Tiny cupboard for storage of cloths.

The corridors had worn out carpets and a bad foul smell. Really needs a good clean up.

At our First breakfast served rotten milk which coagulated when added to my hot coffee.

Staff at breakfast was not at all friendly and as the dishes empty they did not re fill them. Although there is a place for fried eggs ,out of the 5 nights we stayed there only 2 days served fried eggs.Very indifferent service.

We paid around AUD144 a night .I am of the strong opinion that this hotel should be a 3 or less stars. I do not recommend any one to stay
for more than 2 to 3 nights."

• Travel date: Wed 11th of July 2007

Not perfect, but good and value for the money paid

Reviewed Tue 6th of November 2012

"In overall – good hotel. Not perfect, but good, and seems a stable value. Very service oriented. Would be a definite value if to make serious and stylish renovation and improve breakfast.

Room.
Booked to deluxe room for extended weekend stay (4 days/ 3 nights in late Nov’06) and we got the room on the 2nd level, just that corner room where you will see all those flags flies, right above the entrance to the hotel. Room itself is bit dated, very simple, so not actually to pretend for ‘deluxe’ name or ‘junior suite’ as they name them internally… Simply saying, this is just a bigger than normal room and that’s all. Do not expect any luxury there, all is standard – small TV (37cm diagonal), small add-on sofa bed, little safe (not suitable for laptops), very simple décor. But the good things are – superb, comfy bed (queen size) and a lot of light if curtains are up open. Regarding the noise issue that was much discussed here – noise is present (because the street outside has noticeable traffic all through the day and night), but if you close the heavy curtains, then noise is reduced very substantially. I’m not a well-slipper, but slept perfectly with closed curtains. Bathroom is kind of small one, also very simple toiletry, but a funny little window to the outside right from the bath/shower place – which you can open and overlook the street while having a shower :) Cool feature, but was unusable on winter time.

Restaurant & bar.
Since we have booked the package which included some sightseeing, Turkish bath and dinner, so was able to check restaurant on the dinner time also, not just for breakfast. My overall opinion is so-so – restaurant isn’t the best place in the hotel, but let me explain.
Breakfast – isn’t that good. Can’t even compare with breakfast in any known eu/usa 4star hotels. The 1st disappointment was, that if you go early for the breakfast, then you got only cold one. The hot items appear with 30min delay at least (tested every day). Next – there is no standard orange juice, so either to order fresh one for extra cash or to drink some kind of orange-colored artificial-taste drink. The hot items were so-so per my taste, not as good as I’ve expected. The good things on breakfast are - strong tea, fresh local bread, honey & sweets and local cheese. Not a big thing may be for many people, but as for me, a delicious, wide-variety and choice breakfast is making a lot of sense. On the dinner time, selection of food is more less ok, but service kind of slow, even if there aren’t many people sitting. View to the old city is great, the best is from the open terrace, rather than from glass wall surrounded part – be sure to take you camera with you then goes to restaurant on evening time.

What I really liked in the hotel is the lobby bar on 1st level. That’s really cool – a small bar in the corner with classy chairs, bit hidden from lobby itself – very nice to seat there for few beers at eve, and good bar service too – even if bar is closed, you can order and get beers down to you – excellent. Few words about Turkish bath available on lowest level – the bath premises itself are very nice quality, but the mixed feeling are on service given. We ordered that for one of the evenings and when came down, found that we will be just alone there. From one point of view – that’s fine, a total privacy, quite and undisturbed, full relax.. But from another side, you have to forget everything you have read before about turkish baths and service there, because here no person to service you. Thus, its on your own duty to get relaxed and pamper yourself in the bath.

What more..
Ordered transfer from and to airport – comfy and speedy VW minibus on your service, no complains. Many of the sightseeing buses stops and starts from this hotel, so if you are going for early sightseeing trip, you can come down just 2 minutes before – very convenient.
Staff is very friendly and helpful everywhere – reception, bar, restaurant, drivers. Though sometimes might face language issues and slow service, still have to say that all staff is very-very service tuned and kind with you.

After all – might not seems to be a something special, but location, service and price makes it value. Not to forget also that it is Turkey and things claimed not always comes true in reality, so you shall to have hands on and more trust to experience rather than just to advertisement."

• Travel date: Tue 12th of June 2007

nice place but avoid the restaurant for dinner

Reviewed Sat 17th of November 2012

"I've stayed here a few times and for location/price/cleanliness it is consistently good. Our double room, 12 June, was 82 euro.

Roof garden is spectacular and worth going to at night for a drink and view. But the dinner food was really disappointing considering Turkey has some of the best food in the world.

In an effort to pandor to Western tourists they have a bland, international menu, and ours was accompanied by a singer singing dull, old US standards...nothing Turkish is this experience. The setting is great, but not worth the price. Go elsewhere.

I read about the taxi experience above. Ours was ordered and there in 5 mins. 40TL to the airport."

• Travel date: Sun 10th of June 2007

Don´t accept a room in the 5th floor!

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"We stayed 4 nights at that hotel. The first night it was impossible to sleep. Our room was at the 5th floor and the terrace where breakfast and dinner are served is on the 6th floor. We were told it would be noisy until midnight because of the dinner, but then the terrace would be closed. Unfortunately, after closing the terrace they started moving all the tables and chairs around, probably preparing everything for the next day. The noise kept on for a while, we went to complain and were told they would stop. The noise stopped for 5 minutes and restarted again... We waited until 1am and complained again, same answer. I was awake until 2:30 am, they seemed to stop afterwards or maybe I was so tired I felt sleep regardless of the noise. Of course, at 7:30 it started again with breakfast time!
Next day we asked for a new room and they moved us to the 3rd floor, we could finally sleep!

Apart from that, the rooms were standard, not big but just fine, and looked pretty clean to me. The terrace where breakfast is served is nice, with good views. But don´t expect a fantastic breakfast, it is quite average. And if you fancy having an orange juice (not Tang!) you will have to pay 5 YTL extra...

Also, the staff was not very helpful. We asked for the rates for a taxi from the hotel to Sabiha Gokcen airport (it cost us 66 YTL when we arrive to the hotel from the airport) and they told us it was far away and the price would be 80-85 YTL, they would arrange it for us and we would pay a flat rate of 85 YTL. We told them we preferred to use the taximeter, so they called a taxi for us. I don´t know if they told anything to the taxi driver but the fact is he started the taximeter, it took us 45 minutes to get to the airport and the taximeter displayed 105 YTL. Obviously we didn´t pay 105 YTL but 85 YTL (and I still think it was too much but we didn´t want to make a mess). So beware if you ask them to arrange a taxi for you!"

• Travel date: Sat 2nd of June 2007

Highly Recommended!

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"This was our first trip to Istanbul and The Yasmak Sultan was a significant part of making it a most enjoyable holiday. From the moment we arrived at the hotel we were greeted by friendly, polite door-staff. The gentleman on reception welcomed us and efficiently checked us in. Our room was as descibed on their webpage. If anything, it was bigger than I expected. The view from the rooftop terrace was superb.

The hotel is perfectly situated for all the major attractions of Sultanamhet and the transport links to other parts of this fabulously
friendly city are nearby. I look forward to staying at The Yasmak Sultan on my next visit to Istanbul."

• Travel date: Tue 22nd of May 2007