A spectacular boutique hotel

Reviewed Thu 28th of March 2013

"This hotel is gorgeous. The rooms are beautifully decorated, and make the most of their space. The harem scenes painted on the bathroom wall are great fun, and the room is kitted out very nicely. The beds are comfortable, the staff (especially the lovely Ms Kaya) are very friendly and helpful, wireless internet is free, and overall it is one of the best hotels we've stayed in recently. The family room is in fact two rooms with an adjoining door, which gives closeness and privacy at the same time. We've already booked for our return trip.

The pool and hammam weren't open when we stayed there (due end of July, I believe), and the food is good but not great. The location is impeccable - a two minute walk to a tram stop, a ten minute walk to the Hagia Sophia, and twenty to the grand bazaar. Definitely recommended."

• Travel date: Thu 24th of June 2010

Best Hotel I have ever stayed in!

Reviewed Sun 31st of March 2013

"I've stayed in many 5-star hotels around the world - Asia, Middle East, Europe, USA, tropical resorts, etc... the staff at Hotel Sultania go above and beyond and the difference is obvious when you first walk in their door. We were traveling with our 15 month old son and this place makes it so easy! The crib they provided was fantastic. I was also 6 months pregnant during our stay and had a medical emergency while there. The hotel sent their translator with us to the best hospital in Istanbul and I honestly say that she saved my life. If it weren't for her, even in this "German Hospital" there would have been no way to let the doctors know what was going on (no one spoke English). After the hospital - they sent doctor recommended meals and snacks to my room regularly while I recovered, helped entertain our toddler, and made me feel right at home. This a side, their service was still way above my expectations in providing support and information for touring around Istanbul, finding places to shop and eat, or just to relax. Gorgeous hotel with beautiful people!"

• Travel date: Thu 24th of June 2010

One of the best hotel ...

Reviewed Tue 26th of March 2013

"Sultaina Hotel from Istanbul is one of the best hotel we stayed. Excellent location just in the historical center, very nice decorated rooms, very clean and a very nice staff.
We had a amazing weekend thanks to Sultaina Hotel and his staff.
We recommend it for everybody who is looking to discover the great Istanbul and to have occasion to have a luxury accommodation.
Thanks to everybody and for Ozelm Kaya kisses from Alexandru :)

For sure we'll come back.

Carmen"

• Travel date: Fri 18th of June 2010

uncommonly good hotel in superb location

Reviewed Sat 23rd of March 2013

"Unlike many places in Europe the hotel facade and even the lobby are unremarkable; all the attention has been focused on the service and the rooms. Everything is surprisingly first rate and when, returning to Istanbul after a visit to Bodrum, we scored a room in the newly renovated wing it was as though we'd been transported to a five-star hotel in Paris or Milano. The initial room in the regular wing was small, but comfortable. Amenities were the equal of any place, service always courteous (I had some problem with the Wi Fi - using a Mac - and the staff's solicitousness was unmatched), and the breakfast buffet lavish and delicious. I cannot think of a single sour note."

• Travel date: Wed 16th of June 2010

nice &cool hotel

Reviewed Sat 30th of March 2013

"we were at sultania too,we really enjoyed. this hotel is very otantic&tradational.we wish we could have stayed longer..especially stuffs hospitality was brillant.our room was very clean and comfortable also food was really delicious.if we compare the 5 stars hotels..we prefer the sultania..i think this is the best boutique hotel in this area."

• Travel date: Tue 15th of June 2010

treat you like a sultan??? pleeeeeaseeee!!!!

Reviewed Mon 25th of March 2013

"I will state the facts plain and simple.
We booked the double room with the terrace. It was basically an attic with very low ceiling on the most part of the room which made it difficult for a tall person to even stretch their arms. The view was the rooftop of an opposite building and its half a dozen satellite dishes and down below of rooms whose windows were covered with dirty newspapers. While stepping out you could not but be bothered by the steady noise from the ventillation systems of nearby hotels and restaurants and at night the smell of grilled fish was almost nauseating.

There was chewing gum stuck on the floor that was never properly cleaned and our garbage was not collected during our stay from the bedroom basket, nor were the tissues replenished once we used them.

Once I was sitting on the veranda and as I hurried to go inside I forgot to bend and I hit my head badly to the point that I was bleeding. I felt really dizzy and after half an hour I went to the reception so that an antiseptic could be applied. That was prompltly done but do you think that anybody asked me later on on the day if I was feeling fine?
Noooo, they could not care less.

The breakfast had nice fresh fruit, yoghurt and a platter of cheese but the croissants were pre frozen and the juice was concentrated but smartly presented with added fresh pulp and slices of oranges so that one would take it for fresh. Still it would have been ok had the following not happened.
The first day we ordered turkish coffee and fresh orange juice and no mention was ever made for an extra charge. However the second day.... they tried to charge us for both. Within 24 hours the policy had changed and while the guys at the reception believed that no charge should be made, the breakfast people thought otherwise and they were discussing it in front of us in high tones, a situation that made us feel really uncomfortable.

On the same note I asked how much it would cost for their service to take us back to the airport and they told us 35 euros. The next day I asked again ... the price had gone up to 40 euros.

All in all it was a long awaited weekend that turned sour not only because the taxi drivers ripped us off and nobody from the reception ever warned us about, but because the employees are accustomed to just smile and respond to happy clients. Once there is a problem, their true nature surfaces and the hypocricy ends.

No, I did not feel like a sultan, I felt like two people who enter a super market, shop, pay and go."

• Travel date: Mon 14th of June 2010

Wunderbar-Supper!

Reviewed Mon 1st of April 2013

"I spent two days in Istanbul from the hotel, which is located near Gülhane Tram station , it's minutes away by foot from Topkapi Palace, Underground Cistern and the tram stop. Guest Relations person Ozlem which was very helpful in organizing our daily activities. My room was fine,wonderful,brand new,very comfortable and clean. Good choice of food for breakfast."

• Travel date: Sun 6th of June 2010

Style meets tradition

Reviewed Fri 29th of March 2013

"If you’re spending just a night or two in Istanbul, the best place to stay has to be the new Hotel Sultania, where you’ll be made feel like a king or queen.

I was lucky to be staying in the Golden Horn area for 5 nights and chose the Sultanahnet area for my base. It’s always a bit risky opting for a new hotel, but I didn’t want to leave this new stylish boutique hotel because I was made so welcome and at home.

Its location is perfect. I walked everywhere – Gulhane tram station and the park is 3 mins away, Tokapi Palace and Grand Bazaar about 10 mins on foot; Galata Bridge 10 mins the other way, or travel the area on the tram. Despite being in the heart of the old town area, the brasserie on the cobbled side street is quiet and relaxed and there’s no noise if you choose to sleep with the windows open.

The rooms are big and luxurious with all mod cons – from DVD surround system and ipod docking station to a stylish bathroom and each room is individually decorated with ottoman art and furniture.

The bumper buffet breakfast kept me going for most of the day – fresh fruit, yoghurt, cold meats, eggs and a fab selection of fresh baked breads. But, I loved the brasserie grill too because it offers light snacks, local to the area. I’d return at the end of the day and enjoy a lovely Turkish coffee served traditionally in beautiful silverware, or have a Turkish tea. They have happy hour too.

One evening I ate at the neighbouring rooftop Olive restaurant (part of the Yasmak group). I’d been told that rooftop restaurants were the place to go and Olive offers the best views across the Bosphorous on one side and across Hagia Sophia and Topkapi on the other. When I visited I could see the Tall Ships. The food too, was very special and the staff explained the story behind the local dishes. There’s an outside terrace with a 24 hour cocktail bar with great mojito’s.

The staff were really friendly and offered the kind of advice you only get from a local who knows where to buy the best soap at Grand Bazaar, or what tour to book onto. They even organised my taxi ride from the hotel when it looked like the traffic on the bridges would delay me by a couple of hours. I had such a great time – I’ll definitely return and next time, the new pool will be open too."

• Travel date: Sat 5th of June 2010

I fell in love with this hotel!

Reviewed Wed 27th of March 2013

"I used to stay in 5* hotels in different cities and countries but SULTANIA is the best hotel i ve ever seen.
Very clean comfortable smelling wonderful. Breakfasts delicious and fresh. The hotel seems to have soul. And its the soul of Istanbul."

• Travel date: Fri 4th of June 2010

Hotel Sultania - where you are treated like a good friend

Reviewed Sun 24th of March 2013

"I stayed at the Hotel Sultania for 3 nights from the 27th May until the 30th May 2010. The hotel is new and is central to all the major attractions in the City. Only 200 metre walk to the tramstop and absolutely spoilt for choice with the myriad of restaurants. Check-in was delightful, informative and the staff have absolute pride in the premises and the facilities. Food reasonable, breakfast nice and staff very helpful with directions and suggestions for tours and attractions. Decor is beautiful and housekeeping unobtrusive.
Lift is way way too small. No complaints, I would recommend to all and would stay there again in the future.I requested a late checkout on the last day and they extended to 2.30pm with no charge. Fabulous attitude to customer service. THANK YOU ALL FOR A FABULOUS TIME AT YOUR GORGEOUS BOUTIQUE HOTEL.............from Victoria R in Australia.
I made a couple of suggestions in writing for improvements, ie: iron and ironing board in room and a minor housekeeping issue and upon return to Australia I was emailed and phoned by the manager to say the suggestions had been noted and actioned. One cannot ask for better than that"

• Travel date: Wed 2nd of June 2010

Excellent accomodation

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"An excellent new hotel in Sultanahmet area, only a few blocks from Ayasofia and Topkapi. The rooms are very detailed decorated, with large beds, variaty of pillows, a large bathroom ( but only with shower ) with bathrobes, an LCD TV with DVD and Dolby surround system, mini bar, wireless and wired internet. Every room had its own name dedicated to a Sultan. The service was very good, the Olive Restaurant in the roof garden of the nearby Yasmak Sultan Hotel was great with unforgettable view and affordable prices, but the breakfast should be improved. Very good value for money.
The only complain was that we had booked a deluxe room with terrace and asked for a high floor room, but we got a room in the 1st floor without balcony.
I should recommend this hotel to everyone and especially for a romantic escape."

• Travel date: Wed 2nd of June 2010

Live in Istanbul - Ottoman Style!!

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"I had researched Istanbul boutique hotels almost for two days before zeroing in on Hotel Sultania. We were to stay here for 2 nights from our 5 night trip. However, when we checked into our first (5 star) hotel, I was not satisfied (the room had no view and I found it claustrphobic). So I got queasy about moving in later, to an unknown hotel which was just a month old.
However, my fears were totally allayed from the minute we entered the hotel lobby- it had swank interiors. The rooms were just like the ones in the pictures - a great thing. As the hotel is new, they were clean, with great lighting effects to create the Ottoman theme. The decor was done very tastefully.. Besides, the room, a deluxe double room had a day bed, whcih served as a bed for my daughter (the other one got a baby cot). The room (1203) was decent sized, with all the amenities.
Like another reviewer said, there was no noise from the restaurants below, and though the view outside was not of the sea or any of the historical monuments, it was still nice to be able to open the windows (unlike in the previous restaurants).
I had read a lot about Turkish hospitality and this was a primary factor in selecting a boutique hotel. I was not disappointed (unlike in the other 5* hotel, where service was very average) The manager on duty- Ramazan was fabulously friendly and helpful during our entire stay. He promptly booked tickets for us for various shows and made special arrangements regarding transport etc. which added on to our experience. The other guy, Arafa played extensively with my kids and gave them puzzles etc. while we waited for our taxi to the airport. the other two managers, (I forget their names) were equally friendly.
The breakfast spread on the rooftop (also a 24 hour bar) is great, with lovely views of the Marmara sea and the Hagia Sophia.
The negatives- the lift really is very small. I wish the management had taken off some space from the themed decor to make that larger.
I would suggest everyone to stay in a boutique hotel rather than in a chain hotel while in istanbul. of these Hotael Sultania would be a great choice."

• Travel date: Tue 18th of May 2010