92 Traveller reviews from Holiday Watchdog
BEST HOLIDAY EVER !!!
"Just got back from staying in the G A hotel, this is a very very good hotel very clean rooms, done every day with clean towels and loo roll (didnt have to pay for extra) ALL staff very friendly and helpfull (kiki and Jay, great with kids made it a good holiday for them all)
Food that we had was spot on would recomend stake and onion baguette with chips enough for 2 to share.
Great pool, jacuzzi and slide, pleanty to keep busy, pool table etc...
Turkish bath and facials avalible in hotel (i won 1 in free raffle at turkish night!!)
Gym with air con i didnt go but husband and son did, said it was good,worked of a few beers!!
Music went off around 12ish Didnt keep us awake at all, and didnt come on untill 10.30 the next day but wasnt to loud that you could hear it through the windows/door.
Worth paying for aircon you can have it on all day as long as you are in the room for Â£15 per week.
Not far from the center 15 mins slow walk.
1mins from buss stop 1 Lira
Taxi in hotel car park 6lira
Defo going back next year and will stay at this hotel because walking through the resort didnt see any thing that would come near this hotel. **** defo in my book :)"
- Travel date: Fri 7th of August 2009
Best holiday ever!
"Just got back from 2wk holiday in Icmeler, Turkey. Me, hubby 2 kids and there friends (ages 14,14,16 and 17) we stayed at the Grande Aquarium hotel, this was the bast family holiday we have all had for a long time.
Hotel very good, great pool with slide, and entertainment (comedy act a bit doddy tho) food realy good although we did eat out most nights as there is sooooo many good places to eat. (venice, love star, pop-in, romance to name just a few)
very cheap compared to most places abroad at the mo.
Very very hot, hotest day while we was there 54f !!!!!!
Good nite life plenty of bars to go to.Wonder Boys Elvis bar,LFC bar (gino very funny) etc...
I would recomend this place and the hotel to everyone .. happy holidays"
- Travel date: Fri 7th of August 2009
"superb facilities clean rooms pool spotless no rowdy behaviour good location 1 minute from busstop 1lira per person to beach &town centre frindly staff only problem noise coming from hotel behind we were at back of hotel will go back again next year turkey great value for money"
- Travel date: Sat 18th of July 2009
Not worth a 4 star rating
"We booked a 4 star, self-catering, allocation on arrival deal and ended up at the Grand Aquarium. Although the brochure description sounded good we were not impressed and do not consider it worthy of a 4 star rating. Yes it does have some entertainment (especially if you love loud dance music blaring out from 10am) and itâs own hairdresser and a big pool with a water slide that gets turned on for a few minutes each day, however the accommodation itself was actually quite poor. Our apartment was small and dingy with no TV, no air conditioning in the bedroom and only a tiny kitchenette area. We immediately asked to move, however several members of staff all refused to consider changing our room. In fact one of them claimed I had specifically requested this room and so had to keep it, but changed his mind when I asked him for proof of this.
Admittedly the rooms were kept clean and the facilities worked, but by comparison we have stayed in much larger and more pleasant 2 and 3 star rated apartments.
The Grand Aquarium appear fixated with making guests pay for everything from air conditioning to toilet rolls â not really what you expect from a 4 star! Some of the staff seemed to want tips as though it was a luxury hotel, but were not particularly helpful, as was further evidenced by arguments I witnessed involving other guests. We also had a problem in being kept awake by staff have late night conversations and smoking outside our bedroom window (presumably they were skiving around the back of the hotel). We complained about this but it still happened.
The location is quite a long walk from the sea front and frankly we were much happier on another visit to Icmeler when we stayed in accommodation that had a lower star rating but was nicer, more friendly and better located."
- Travel date: Sun 14th of June 2009
Fab Hotel...Shame about the noise
- Very very clean
- Endless towels & toilet paper supply
- Roomy appartment (for the 2 of us) lovely little balcony
- Lovely pool, splash pool, water slide
- Nice large bar / restraunt (with free pool trable / PS2)
- On site shop, hairdresser, barber, massage
- Good pay system (you get a wristband and put money on it and then use that throughout the complex so you dont have to use cash and top up whenever you want)
- Just outside icmeler but bus stop outside with bus running every 10 mins into town, takes 5 mins at most to get into town and only costs 1L
- Taxis available in car park
- 3 supermarkets within a few minutews walk from apartments
- NOISE!!!! All music in icmeler turns off at 12midnight but because this is out of icmeler the music goes on throughout the night. Having to listen to music is no problem and for a few nights we managed to fall asleep with noise from the bar but as the week went on it got so loud that it got to the point it was 3am and the dance music was so loud the furniture in our bedroom was vibrating (and we were in an apartment as far away from the bar as you could get).
If you have young children and want them to have an early night I would be wary about staying here, at least in the town centre it goes quiet at 12
- If there are 4 people staying in 1 appartment it may feel claustrophobic
- Some of the younger male staff could be intimidating. We were staying next to a group of young girls and as they were flirting etc the staff woiuld come and hang around on my balcony to talk to them and didnt seem to see a problem with this!
I will add some pics I took... very beautifull and I really did love the place but wudnt stay again purely because of the volume of noise from bar DJ and nothing else (cant fault anything else!)
Feel free to contact me for info"
- Travel date: Mon 27th of October 2008
excellent photo man
"I booked this holiday as a last minute thing and had to take what was left and i was very lucky as this hotel was excellent. The staff were very good but we did go out and about alot so did not really eat there much. We did have our photos taken (120 of them) the man who takes them is wonderful he loves the children and the photos are excellent it was a special extra touch. icmeler is a lovely wecoming place and we will return. My partner is quite lazy when it comes to walking but walked into town every night for 2 weeks so it is not that far to the town centre.The hotel is so so so clean from the rooms to the swimming area to the bar it really is a wonderful relaxing place.IT WAS OUR FIRST TIME IN TURKEY AND WOULD RETURN TO GRAND AQUARIUM. and there was plenty of toilet roll like you care when on holiday."
- Travel date: Wed 13th of August 2008
Holiday from hell
"We have just returned from a week at Grand Aquarium. Staying at the hotel/apts was one of the worst experiences ever.
The hotel itself was clean with friendly staff but the owner and manager were rude, deceitful with no idea about customer service. Examples of some of the issues we experienced during our stay:-
1. Mis-sold the airconditioning by advising we would have it for 24hrs if paid 20GBP. Rubbish! The AC only comes on while you're in the room and even then we only got 40 mins max before re-setting it manually which meant getting up several times during the night. Waste of money!
2. The hotel staff searched our room whilst we were out one night! Luckily no valuables were taken.
3. Cleaner left a bottle of disinfectant in our bathroom - in an unmarked Vittel water bottle. We had kids with us and they thought it was mouthwash. By sheer luck, they didn't touch it but this could have been fatal. When confronted manager, she did not accept responsibility and even accused us of planting the bottle in our room! Ridiculous.
Stay away from this place if you value your life! This is the worst hotel we have ever stayed in on holiday (and we have travelled a lot) We won't be going back to this hotel which is a pity as the entertainment staff were really great with the kids."
- Travel date: Sat 9th of August 2008
"We have just got back from this hotel 1 week ago and wish I never had to leave!! The whole hotel was very very clean, with been left a nice heart shaped towel on our bed every day was a nice treat to come back to !!!
The pool was fantasic and there were plenty of sun beds, for us to lounge around and the slide was fun too, as it helped you cool off alot!!
You should defo do the turkish night has it is so funny and it was nice to experience some of the different types of food!!
We found all the reception and entertainment staff very friendly and my husband became water polo king by the end of the holiday!! Although they were helpful I found the staff in the bar and resturant rude at times!
It is a bit far out the town centre but the buses cam every 10 minutes and ran till after 1am!! (pick up outside tommys)
When to Tommys bar and the food was disgusting and I couldn't even eat it!! I would not go there if they paid me again!!
All the food in the town centre was lovely and would reccommend trying different places each night!!
To sum it all up I would definatey go back and wish I could have stayed for longer!!
If you stay there I hope you have a lovely time!!"
- Travel date: Sun 20th of July 2008
"This hotel was such a let down asfter seeing the holiday brochure pictures, as a family we were looking forward to our family holiday at this hotel. The hotel is meant to be a 4* but I would rate it at a 2-3*. You had to buy your own toilet paper, which for a 4* I would expect free!!! the water slide was only open for about 15mins everyday, or should I say when the staff could be bothered!!! The staff were unhelpful. I would not recommend anyone to stay at this hotel, the families that stayed at hotel the same time as us, were all dissapointed as well.
Would definately not go back!"
- Travel date: Sat 28th of July 2007
"brilliant hotel for first time in turkey!
rooms were a bit small and had to pay for air conditioning ( Â£20) for the week but it didnt matter as we were never in it! the staff were fantastic as they would do anything for you. it was about 25 min walk into icmeler town, we only did it once as is was far too hot!. but a taxi only cost a couple of quid. the views were beautiful,as the hotel is situated by the mountains. there was a free shuttle to the sister hotel club aquarium that was nice but a lot quieter. it was really clean. there was a hairdressers there which did the traditional turkish shave, wash and blow drys etc. they were all pretty cheap. you could have a turkish bath there which was also pretty cheap. the food was lovely even if you are a fussy eater as some of our party was. there was great entertainment for both kids and adults as we had both kids and adults in our party.we will be booking it again as we loved it!"
- Travel date: Fri 29th of June 2007
Excellent family apartments
"We have just come back from Icmeler and wish we were still their , The grand aquarium staff made our holiday , their customer service was outstanding with ,Robbie,Manny,John ,etc . The apartment were basic but clean, the pool area was lovely we are looking to go again next year ."
- Travel date: Wed 21st of August 2013
will be back
"When reading the reviews about the place was a bit put off, however when we arrived at the apartments we could not off asked for a better place to stay. Yes the room as a bit on the small side, but you are only in the room to sleep and change. The staff at the hotel are brill, they could not do enough for you and the place was spotless. I have never been to Turkey, I never fancied going, however I will be back next year LOVED the place. The entertainment was the best I have ever seen at a hotel, they never stopped all day and my daughter was entertained all day and night. Thankyou everyone at the Grand Aquarium for all your hard work. Tracy, Annmarie and Poppy x"
- Travel date: Mon 4th of July 2011