I have never stayed in an all inclusive...

Reviewed Sun 15th of January 2006

"I have never stayed in an all inclusive hotel or visited Turkey before. I was not disappointed with either, Turkey is a delightful place (once you get over the very cheeky men folk).

The hotel lives up to its name WOW everything is included all drinks including cocktails, the food was out of this world, as long as you don't require pizza and chips every night. The service was excellent and the staff was just lovely, friendly and obliging but not too over familiar.

We also had a very late flight for our return to the UK, but this was no problem. We were asked to check out at the usual mid-day, and we then put our luggage in the luggage storeroom and we were free to use the hotel and all the facilities for the rest of the day including showering at the health spa before our evening meal. Fantastic!!

I've got my brochures so I can book again.

• Travel date: Sun 15th of January 2006

great time

Reviewed Sat 22nd of December 2012

"Wonderful hotel and setting - good variety of entertainment on a regular basis - food was of a good standard however would have liked to have seen more variety - disappointed with variety of cocktails and drinks available, bearing in mind all inclusive resort - bar staff lethargic - restauarant staff energenic but forgetful,however experience more than compensated for by Kerim, (tallest member of serving staff, great bloke and an assett to the hotel) managed to fulfill his waiters duty whilst entertaining and mixing with guest of all ages etc. For the mangement of the hotel, please make the most of this guy, his experience and friendly nature should be utilised and he should be promoted to management level so he could enhance the performance and attitude of the restaurant staff. If you have any problems (doubtful) contact "Helen = English speaking" as she is indispensable. All in all a great holiday, look forward to a return trip in the future - recommend getting up early to see the sunrise, shouldn't be missed - a sight to behold!!!! Frank and Julie (Mr Finger!!!!)"

• Travel date: Fri 13th of January 2006

Air Conditioning

Negatives:
Animation Team- The guys think they are the [-]
Dinner- Same food every night
Weather is too hot during the daytime"

• Travel date: Tue 6th of December 2005

could not fault it

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"me and my family and friend stayed here in october half term for a week, and had the best time, so much so, we are going back next october. The food was great, the beach, although small was nice, and the pool side was lovely, although only went in the pool twice as it was freeezzzziiiinnnggg!!!!! weather was lovely, (got a great tan) and everyone was really friendly. Has so much fun on the water sports, canoeing, windsurfing, sailing, jet skis. and the guys who work at the water sports were a great laugh, made it all worth while!!!! Waiters made you feel very welcome!!! not a great selection at the bars, but if u go to a different country u shouldnt expect everything to be the same as england anyway!!! I would not go there in the summer as i believe it would be to overcrowded, but for me , october was a great time to go. Thankyou WOW, for making my holiday a memorable one, now back in england i do feel very sad to be here!!!!"

• Travel date: Mon 31st of October 2005

Beautiful Hotel

Reviewed Sat 22nd of December 2012

"Stayed at the WOW resort 1 week from 8th October and had a really great time. We were apprehensive as it was our first time all inclusive and was really hoping food would be up to standard, and it actually really exceeded our expectations. The facilities and standard of accommodation were second to none. Would defy anyone not to enjoy themselves there. No lager louts either as most clientelle Dutch. Really relaxing time, feel very pampered, would love to go back."

• Travel date: Sun 23rd of October 2005

Too Big and Dress code not respected.

Reviewed Sat 20th of October 2012

"We visited in Oct 2005 for my husband's 70th Birthday.
On the main the hotel was good, but there were two features that spoilt it.
1) The double rooms were much to small and cramp and as they had more than 500 rooms there was obviously plenty of land so they should have reduced the number and made them bigger.
2) The dress code in the restuarant was not enforced. This enabled people who didn't care what they looked like or had no respect for the Hotels Policy, to go to dinner in bathers (probably sold as shorts, T shirts and sinlets). The dress code should have been enforced as one would have expected of a 5* hotel..

Out of the review the Staff , food and service was good."

• Travel date: Wed 19th of October 2005

WoW - what a fantastic hotel!

Reviewed Sat 8th of December 2012

"I must have been staying at a different hotel to the last reviewer as I found this hotel to be of a very high standard. The food particularly was excellent, with 3 a la carte restaurants which made our holiday as they were very much in keeping with their theme, particularly the Turkish restaurant where we served a meze for starters and fantastic lamb dishes were cooked to order. I think if you are expecting British fare you perhaps would be disappointed but then I love trying the international cuisine which was superb. The atmosphere of the hotel was 5 star but with a cosy feel (if you get what I mean!). The rooms were situated in lush gardens and alleyways with beautiful vines and exotic flowers adorning them. Waiters were a bit slow but we didn't feel neglected and life's too short to worry, you are on holiday! My hubby had catamaran lessons and the instructor was brilliant. The beach was lovely with free sunbeds and a beach bar which made life so easy. We went on a lovely boat trip for £7 and had a Turkish bath which I would highly recommend.
All I can say is give this one a go as, opposed to the last reviewer, I felt this hotel was extremely good value and would definitely go back."

• Travel date: Sun 11th of September 2005

Clean, but crowded

Reviewed Fri 30th of November 2012

"We stayed at the WOW Bodrum Resort in August for a week, and were initially impressed (arrived in the dark and hadn't seen the resort) - beautiful lobby, bar close by, friendly reception staff and cheerful porter to take us to our room. There are lots of positives for this hotel, but a lot of things also let it down.

RESORT: Gumbet is a 10 minute walk from the hotel, and taxis are easy to get and quite cheap. We didn't use the dolmus in light of the recent bombings in Turkey, but they were everywhere and very frequent. Problem is - would you want to go to Gumbet in the first place? We are not 'clubbers' - and Gumbet is clubbers' paradise - just an endless road of bars and souvenier shops which is fine, but not if you are looking forward to picturesue evening walks. We thought Bodrum was much nicer, more to see with the mosque, marina, and castle, but it is a good 20 minute drive away from the hotel.

ROOMS: Firstly, if you have booked a double room, it is worth sending an e-mail to remind the hotel beforehand, as we walked into our room to find twin beds. It was 11pm, we called the lobby to be told that there were no double rooms left. We couldn't understand this, as it was guaranteed and clearly printed on our holiday details from Thomas Cook, and one of our reasons for choosing the hotel in the first place. They sent someone to push the beds together, and agreed to move us in the morning. The only problem with that was the room not being ready until midday, so we lost half of our first day waiting around, as all our things were as yet unpacked so we couldn't swim, etc. Not a good start to th e week. Putting that aside, if you get the correct room, it will be clean, large and comfortable, with a modern bathroom, all the usual toiletries, shampoo dispenser in the shower, and TV with loads of channels including music and BBC news. The fridge was always stocked with drinks, so as rooms go, we were happy.

TOILETS: A word of warning - this hotel doesn't allow toilet paper to be flushed, so take scented nappy sacks with you, as we didn't, and couldn't find any out there.

BEACH: The Aegean sea is COLD!!! The weather was lovely, but the sea was freezing. The beach is small (and I'll come to size issues in a moment) and very stoney, so you will need sea shoes. On the plus size, there was a good chpoice of watersports, and very accessible. Problem was, we didn't do them because the water was too chilly! We went on a day trip further down Turkey to the mediterranean coast, and there was no comparison. The land around gumbet is also quite bare or 'dry-looking' compared to further south, where we saw lush vegetation and beautiful beaches (and warm sea)!

FOOD: Where do I start? First of all, there was plenty of it, but there were also lots of problems. The restaurant is only open for 2 hours in the evening, and when the hotel is full the place is heaving. So many people knocked into me, it was annoying, and by the time we found a table to sit down, the food was already cold. (It would probably help if they provided warmed plates.) The service was non-existent, which was a big problem, as you couldn't get your own drinks in the evening. If you don't tip, you will get ignored. Turkish guests seemed to receive a better service. The wine is awful (and I am no wine boffin, usually really happy with 'house wine'). The food is geared towards Europeans, as there were lots of Germans and Dutch at the hotel. Unfortunately, English fare was out, didn't see one piece of bacon the whole week (husband was not a happy bunny), and although they did lots of vegetable dishes every day, they were always crucified! I don't think the standard of food was up to much, and after three days we began eating out at the places in Gumbet, which were much better. We have plain tastes, and every dish seemed to have at least 15 ingredients. You will always be able to get a nice salad and rice and chips, but you will start to get fed up.... Got burnt by their grilling machine (as there is no toaster). Lots of jams and spreads, and the saving grace was a hot milk machine and a pot of drinking chocolate powder. We definitely did not get value for money, but I guess that is just our tastes, and this place wasn't designed to be liked by the British.

DRINK: You'll be lucky... Everything is served in stingy glasses, and not all of the bars serve the full drinks menu.

The main problem with this hotel is overcrowding. It was high season, and we never went in the main pool because we never got a sunbed there. We did manage to get a bed down on the beach once, but while we were in the sea (freezing) someone took all my clothes and towel off my sunbed, dumped them in the hedge, and removed it! We came back and it was gone!

The best place to chill out and get a seat is the Relax Pool, but you can only get beer at the bar, so I didn't drink much alcohol as it would've been a very long walk to another bar. The aqua pool looked fun, but it was for all the badly behaved children. (The ones who were running around the bar areas unsupervised in the evening.) There are 5 computers, and access is pretty much unlimited, so with a hotel full of children, it was difficult getting on them.

By the end of the week, the little flower in our bathroom was dead (died on day 3 actually and they didn't replace it), and all the flowers on the dining tables were dead. It is those little touches that let the hotel down.

We have stayed in an Iberostar before, and the WOW resort is a not-very-cheap poor imitation. If you like the food, and go out of season, you will probably love it, but avoid it during high season at all costs. All sunbeds are reserved by 8am, and the staff do nothing to stop it happening. The food is limited, the restuarant crowded, the service is poor, and you can't get a seat anywhere.

ENTERTAINMENT: I can't fault the evening shows, as they were really very good, except for one which was AWFUL! The 'comedy show' didn't make anyone laugh once! Everything else was good though. Swan Lake was hilarious, and the seating is good - a large amphitheatre. (Let's hope it doesn't rain!)

We won't be returning, and we won't be going to another WOW. This is a hotel chain that is putting money-making before it's customers. It offers all-inclusive, but then tries to discourage you from drinking or eating a lot by using a cheap chef, low staffing levels, and limiting bar menus.

MOZZIES: There weren't any! First holiday that I haven't been bitten!

TRIPS: We would recommend the trips to Dalyan (mud bath) and the adult-only Gullet cruise. Both were brilliant, scenic, and worth every penny. Food was all included, was very nice, and Dalyan was beautiful. (Wish we'd stayed there.) Take two swimming costumes, as the mud gets everywhere!!!

If you are planning a holiday to Turkey, we would recommend that you go further south, or save your money and go SC/HB. There are loads of good places to eat in Gumbet, serving any type of food you could imagine, from Turkish to jacket spuds!

Sorry for the negative review, but you have to say it how it is. In my opinion, this place was over-priced/over-rated/over-crowded."

• Travel date: Wed 7th of September 2005

Well worth its 5star rating wonderful ro...

Reviewed Wed 31st of August 2005

"Well worth its 5star rating wonderful rooms, food and drink plentiful, service outstanding.

Anyone thinking of going don’t hesitate or you will miss out on a wonderful holiday. Go to the roxy bar in Gumbet fabulous place.

• Travel date: Wed 31st of August 2005

Wow! Certainly sums up this WoW Hotel....

Reviewed Wed 31st of August 2005

"Wow! Certainly sums up this WoW Hotel. The resort is situated on the outskirts of Gumbet on a hillside and has its own private beach on the bay. It has a fantastic buffet restaurant but its 3 a la carte restaurants are to die for! This would suit people who are possibly more adventurous than many Brits, who like their egg and chips, as they tend to cater for general European tastes. But I thought that what a holiday abroad was all about!

There are two pools, a huge main pool with children’s pool and a fab relax pool with seating area and hammocks and snacks and bar. Also a mini aqua park with two waterslides. Beach towels are also supplied with saves room in your suitcase.

The all-inclusive lives up to its name, including watersports. My hubby had catamaran lessons and he also went parasailing an jetsking (although this was chargeable you were taken from the hotel beach by speedboat nearly as far as Kos to do your parasailing and I watched him go up from the boat. Brilliant!

The rooms are situated in beautiful gardens and are completely kitted out with free minibar and bathroom with everything you need. I have never been to Turkey before and will definitely go back to this resort. Can’t really fault it at all, only thing possibly is the bar service is slow as drinks are served at tables but I think this is nitpicking. The whole atmosphere of the place is brilliant. Go enjoy!"

• Travel date: Wed 31st of August 2005

Good value

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"My wife and I stayed in the World of Wonders Resort in Bodrum Turkey for three nights while on honeymoon. The hotel is rated 5 stars by standards in Turkey (we noted nicer hotels rated as six while there), and while nice, it is not 5 stars by Ritz or Four Seasons standards.

It is an all-inclusive resort, the highlight is the pool and location. It has over 500 rooms, but staff of the hotel is younger, very energetic and tries very hard to please and be personable. Our bed had flowers on it when we arrived, and they arranged a private dinner and breakfast for us with a congratulations certificate!

The hotel is probably best if you want to keep all of your activities on site, where activity coordinators will spend time encouraging you to sign up for shuffleboard, boating, mtn biking, shooting, tennes, etc... There is a nightclub on site (we did not go). Drinks and food are available around the clock in some manner. There is a mini fridge in the room with sodas and beer, which they restock daily. The food selection in the restaurants is nice, but in general is average quality.

The resort is good value if you plan on staying on site and enjoying the pool and activities. If you prefer to explore, I would stay somewhere else. It is actually one bay over (15 minute drive with traffic) from Bodrum, not within walking distance. It is a two hour drive from the ancient city of Ephesus, which is must see if you like history. And any time you leave Bodrum you have to drive through traffic to get out of town.

Our only real complaint is there is not shuttle service to the hotel from the airport. They arranged for an offer duty summer intern to pick us up for 60 Euros for a 30 minute drive. If you drive yourself to the hotel, GET GOOD DIRECTIONS - the hotel is hidden on a peninsula behind the town of Gumbe.

The main clientale seemed to be travel groups from Germany and Great Britain."

• Travel date: Tue 26th of April 2005