The Marmara, Bodrum

Suluhasan Cad, 18 Yokusbasi Mah, Bodrum City 48400 Turkey

Stay away from Bodrum Marmara

"Great location and facility, but very dissapointing in terms of the staff and food. The drinks and food were not up to snuff, and the staff seemed incompetent at best and unfriendly at worst."

• Travel date: Mon 20th of August 2007

Beautiful Location/facility, but too hot, and staff unwelcoming

"After reading the other reviewers, i know i am standing out on a limb by saying what i will say. This is a beautiful resort with great amenities. However, from the moment we exited the cab in front of the lobby, we were met by an unbelievably rude staff person who told us that they weren't expecting any further guests to check in for the night and that we were at the wrong place. when we assured him that we had reservations, he proceeded to say that we had better have some sort of proof of that. he continued to act with arrogance and unfriendliness through out the duration of our stay, and i'm not sure why. His behavior really set a negative tone to our whole stay. The rest of the staff was curteous, but aloof at best, and nobody every seemed as friendly as i would have hoped for.
The open air feel of the facility is a great concept if this resort was located in california or hawaii...in the summer it is just too hot and they don't use their A.C. units in the lobby or other common seating areas at all. Aside from my room, i felt unbelievably hot all throughout the stay. When I worked out in their gym, i sweat buckets, as if I was in their sauna. I was baffled why they don't use ceiling fans either! I would have expected to feel more comfortable from a climate standpoint in the common areas especially as it was too hot to venture down to the main city area and engage in any outdoor activities when we went.
Would i come back, most definitely not. Would i recommend this resort to others, absolutely not in the summer months, unless you're a cold blooded creature."

• Travel date: Mon 30th of July 2007

Fantastic hotel

"Fantastic Hotel with a great view of Bodrum Harbor and the Crusaders castle. The setting was magical, great food and two glorious pools. A great spot for a relaxing vacation."

• Travel date: Sun 29th of July 2007

Marvelous Marmara

"The Marmara is stylish, luxurious, hip, and a world unto itself. It is the essence of "cool". The interior lounges and dining rooms are beautiful and the pool is world-class (although they could use some cushions on those lounge chairs). The youthful staff is superb - incredibly gracious and helpful .
Frequented by wealthy Turks, Russians, Germans, and Brits (and a smattering of Americans), the hotel is too nice to leave. (And, fortunately, there's not that much in Bodrum to leave for.) There's a terrific D.J. who spins the perfect mix of lounge music at the pool (not too loud, nor too heavy), and the food is excellent.
Our rooms were exactly as pictured - elegantly spare, and very comfortable. The bathrooms are not quite as luxurious as everything else, although they are clean and modern. (Perhaps they just want you to spend more time at the spa.)

Though the room rates are reasonable for the level of luxury, the beverage menu is a shocker. Not finding any bottled water on arrival (the tap water is not drinkable), we ordered one from room service and were charged $10! A vodka and soda at the bar was $22... and so on. Forewarned is forearmed.

Highly recommended!"

• Travel date: Sat 28th of July 2007

Beyond your average fine hotel

Good

"Beautiful hotel. I chose it after reading the reviews below. Was delighted. It’s quirky (as another reviewer described it) and interesting as well as comfortable and luxurious. (Except for foam pillows. What is it about these nice hotels that think foam pillows are ok?) At $225 and since I’m used to NY prices, it was a good value in mid October when it seemed mostly empty. (I paid an extra $25 for a sea view…I wish they’d chop down the tree that blocked 50% of it.)

Breakfast was really excellent, and so cool and original in the way it was styled. I also had other good meals at the hotel. I used the free wireless internet connection in the bar and lobby. However, a hotel of this caliber should offer high speed connection in the guest rooms as well. I bet that will come soon, but it may not be free.

The town is a hike away. I walked down a couple of times but always took taxis up. There are taxi stands in convenient locations all over Bodrum so finding one, even after dark, wasn’t a problem. Taxi stands are clearly marked on the map the hotel gave me. About Bodrum itself, I couldn’t quite get a handle on it. The town wasn’t as stylish and trendy as I thought it would be. It was pleasant enough, but I wasn’t as drawn to the city as I was to the hotel and all it’s surprises."

• Travel date: Fri 3rd of November 2006

the best hotel around!

"I stayed at this hotel after switching from the hotel sunny garden ayvan which was terrible. i needed a hotel quick and liked the reviews of this hotel. i booked through travelocity and paid a rate of $160 per nite including all taxes. after getting to the hotel, i found out that the average price of a room is over $300 a nite and worth every penny. the hotel sits on a hill overlooking the city of bodrum and the aegean sea. the rooms are decorated very nice and the overall feel of the hotel is amazing. the staff is very accomodating and speak english well which is nice since most people in turkey don't speak english. would recommend this hotel to anyone and easily say this is the best hotel in bodrum. don't be fooled by hotels in turgutreis. it's a city 10 miles from bodrum and is a hassle to get to as the roads are really curvy and there's really nothing going on in turgutreis."

• Travel date: Mon 25th of September 2006

Amazing views

"We booked this hotel through our travel agent and got a great rate of $230/night for this five star gem. The location on a hilltop provided the most amazing views. Pool, restaurant, lounge, fitness center, lap pool and tennis courts were all better than expected. Stayed at many luxury hotels and this one definitely stacks up to the best. Service was great - staff was very friendly and kept the drinks and food flowing all day. The food was EXCELLENT, btw. Overall vibe was funky/fun (despite a few screaming children) with hip lounge music piping throughout the pool deck/lobby. The design was top notch, and rooms were very cool with great bath, huge closet, step down seating area, very comfy bed and a nice terrace. Would definitely stay here again! It was great.

Only criticism is that it is a little far from the happenings of the beach/harbor area (granted it is a 10 minutes and $5 cab ride to get there). There is alot happening there though so if you want to be in the middle of it all try staying at the Mavi Suite or one of the other hip hotels with a beach club (see NY Times article from August 27th for more info)."

• Travel date: Wed 23rd of August 2006

We loved it-The Marmara

"We decided to go to Turkey for our honeymoon-awesome! We split our time between Bodrum and Istanbul. We loved The Marmara. It was very cool, Meditteranean in feel, high above Bodrum, looking over the city. This was great as the noise from the city can be very loud, Great pool!!! Also, highly recommend getting out on one of the gullets,sailing yachts) Amazing, the Aegaen sea is beautiful!!"

• Travel date: Wed 14th of June 2006

Just Perfect

"a wonderfull panorama, delicious food in breakfast and dinner. Modern rooms. I liked it very much. The only bad think I can say, hard to go to sea, When you planning, you have to rent a car or call taxi for sea or going to the centre, if you solve this problem, no need to search anywhereelse."

• Travel date: Thu 29th of September 2005

Absolutely the Best

"Breathtaking, fabulous, terrifically expensive but WOW -- one of the best I've ever been to.

I've stayed at 4 Seasons, Ritz, high end hotel groups and the Marama is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed at. The town of Bodrum leaves a bit to be desired, but we came to the logical conclusion that there was NO reason to ever leave the hotel. It was that great. I ADORED the pool!!"

• Travel date: Tue 31st of August 2004

Hotels near The Marmara, Bodrum

Stayed at The Marmara, Bodrum? Share your insight.

The Marmara, Bodrum is also called