Salmakis Resort & Spa

Bardakci Koyu, Bodrum City 48400 Turkey

wonderful

"we have returned two weeks before. Everything we found was absolutely GREAT! This is very, very clean, huge, and very romantic and peace hotel with so nice staff. Hotel is full of flowers, with excellent pool and cute beach. Food - amazing! A few minutes from the center of Bodrum by boat, taxi or "dolmus". Try, it won't be the last time!"

• Travel date: Sat 30th of June 2007

disappointing

"we have enjoyed several family holdays to Turkey and love the coast line, weather , people etc so keep returning. this easter, we booked two weeks half board at the salmakis . with two young children who love to swim, the outdoor pool and gardens looked lovely in the brochure. imagine our suprise to find a building site outside where the pool should have been, the gardens demolished tby the diggers.. the private beach had been allowed to accumulate rubbish throughout the winter and had not been maintained. no rep was available in resort to deal with our concerns. i did not feel the hotel staff took my concerns seriously and did little to rectify any problems. why allow us to book when they knew the major facilities were not available? the choice of food was limited and the wine list pricey. this hotel does nothing to promote turkey's tourist industry"

• Travel date: Mon 25th of June 2007

Great Location

Good

"Just returned from Salmakis, having booked 7 night holiday with First Choice. We booked the First Choice 'Deluxe' rooms, which were an anti-climax, as they have a restricted sea view, whereas most of the standard roomshave a full sea view. The Hotel, itself, is lovely. Nice big, but shallow, pool, and no shortage of beds around pool. Predominately Dutch guests when we were there - we were the only ones on the flight from First Choice.

The Bars all have local 'Efes' beer at 5 Lira (£2) for a small beer, and all serve local (cheap) and international (expensive) spirits. Whisky miniature in mini-bar was £10 - yes, £10! Watch out for pool bar, which seems to run out of local spirits all the time........

Buffet breakfast, with omelette or pancake options; buffet starter, barbecue of hot meal option from restaurant, and fair choice from buffet selection of desserts. Cheapest wine at Dinner is 37 Lira (about £15). Overall quality of dinner food was good, but limited choiced at the beach bar at lunch, although other outlets available nearby.

Overall a nice hotel - water taxi into Bodrum every 15 minutes at 3.5 Lira each way (£1.50) - and we had a relaxing holiday despite the 72 steps down to the pool from our room! Not suitable for elderly or with walking difficulty."

• Travel date: Sun 24th of June 2007

6 years in a row!

"Yes we have stayed 6 years in a row unadventurous but we like it here! Beautiful hotel with a quiet clientele, with Germans probably in the majority. Definitely not a lager lout hotel. Great location in-between Bodrum (beautiful harbour town) and Gumbet (good for night life). Hotel and surrounding area hilly but good to work of the big meals! Plenty of cheap local transport outside hotel in any case (dolmus, water taxi and taxi rank all by hotel). Yes drinks in hotel are expensive but that's quite common and most people smuggle water back to hotel from outside only a small inconvenience. Turkey itself is cheap. The people are genuinely warm and friendly and want to help. Yes they will try and get you into their shops etc but a smile and no thanks is all you need. It becomes automatic after a while! They are after all only doing their job. Great swimming pool and has its one private beach."

• Travel date: Wed 6th of June 2007

Incredible place to stay!!! Ideal for honeymoon!

"This hotel was amazing! We booked through Flight Centre (great job guys!)... We scored a massive double room with a view for only 60 quid (this included breaky, and for some reason dinner as well - although I don't think this is normal).

Staff were exceptionally helpful in booking our bus back to Istanbul (in fact the reception staff even went to pick up the tickets for us after she finished her shift). Staff also helped with the language barrier in cancelling another hotel room in Istanbul.

Amenities were amazing! One MASSIVE pool (although it wasn't filled at the time), another lovely indoor pool with jacuzzi, gym, massage treatments, table-tennis, tennis and a private beach.

Splendid views out over the harbour made breakfast an absolute treat! :)

Definitely recommend this place!!"

• Travel date: Sun 13th of May 2007

lovely but pricey, i booked with libra, read on...

"My family of 6 visited the Salmakis Hotel last summer (2006), the staff were friendly with exception to the staff in the spa, there was one nice male receptionist however the rest of them were cold to you if you were just there to use the pool for free and not pay for treatments. All in all the food was good, however the vegeterian options were poor and the menu was the same every night. We had two rooms, one was fab but the other one had a sewage problem and it stunk for the whole two weeks, staff tried to rectify the problem but it came to no avail. bodrum is a lovely place to visit via water taxi, lots of good shops, however the sellers were very pushy and you were always under pressure to buy something, you have to say no very firmly.

one of the downsides was the men would chat up any1, my sister who was 16 at the time, and is moderately good looking literally got advances from every male there, it was very annoying after a while.

it wasnt too expensive to book the holiday but you do have to spend alot in the hotel. you cant drink tap water as there is foreign bacteria we are not used to, and you are only allowed to buy bottled water at the mini market at the hotel, which cost around £1.50 for 2 litres, compared to about 40p for 8 litres at the supermarket, so we ended up just smuggleing water to our hotel room at the bottom of our buggy. also if you have a toddler who needs milk it costs an awful lot to buy milk from the hotel. £4 (yes £4!) for only 1 litre/ about 2 pints.

All in all our vacation was great, however i'd recomend it to those on a disposable income and if your on a budget this is not you cup of tea. Hope his helps"

• Travel date: Mon 22nd of January 2007

Beautiful views!

Good

"We went to the Salmakis for our honeymoon for 14 nights. The hotel location is amazing with fantastic views across the bay. We had asked for a balcony room and should have had fruit and wine but got a garden view room and had to ask for the wine and fruit. The many steps ensure you leave in better shape than you arrived! Despite advertising entertainment there wasn't any although the hotel reception area is beautiful and well designed for it. Once again hidden costs on the drinks, coffees and telephone charges were exhorbitant. Like others we took our own water in at night. A bottle of water at the corner shop was one lira and a smaller one was 5 lira in the hotel! Recommend that you pay bills on a daily basis. The pool and beach were lovely. A pleasant walk can get you easily into Bodrum or Gumbet. and the regular water taxi service is brilliant although weather dependent. The dolmus runs right past the hotel entrance as well. Downside was the Turkish bath and massage. The bloke doing the massage had hands that wondered places they shouldn't have which freaked my husband and myself out and has put me off massages for life. We went with Olympic and the rep was very good and arranged a complimentary village trip for our honeymoon. The food was overall very good but not quite as good the second week, almost like they were using up left overs as the end of season approached. Would definitely recommend the freshly made omelettes in the morning. Rooms were kept very clean so no complaints there. The service of most of the overworked staff was also very good. My husband took ill for two days and the staff were very helpful and very knowledgable. In all we had a fabulous honeymoon and will return to Bodrum again but will be staying at a smaller hotel as the atmosphere was a little sterile."

• Travel date: Wed 17th of January 2007

Pleasant hotel but some issues

"Given that beach resort hotels can be extremely tacky, dirty or full of lager louts - this hotel scores highly on presentation and atmosphere. An amazing reception area, clean rooms with good sea views and a private beach. Frankly, I've stayed in some awful hotels at southern European resorts and it was a relief to find that this wasn't a dump. The steps down to the beach or swimming pool are not a problem if you're in reasonable health and as the hotel is on a hillside, I don't see how they can be avoided. There is a lift that takes you part of the way. My main complaint about the hotel is the hidden costs that some people have mentioned here. The spa centre charges for use of the gym, the internal pool and even to use the steam room in the changing area. Bringing water in to the hotel is banned because they want you to use the bar fridge - we smuggled water in. This is a pathetic rule and dangerous for frailer people in a hot country. The only message that greets you in your room is a stern warning not to bring in water. Hardly very friendly!"

• Travel date: Sun 3rd of September 2006

Too Expensive

"Well its been a few days since I've been back from Bodrum and I'm glad to be back. Not because we didn't have a good holiday because we did, but this hotel is too expensive for a 3* Plus. We paid over £700 each on a full board basis.

Our room was kept clean and our view was amazing from our balcony. However, I must stress that if you have mobility problems this is one hotel you should avoid as it is nothing but stairs. We had to go up and down at least 5 flights of stairs to get to our room and back down again to eat or go swimming.

Food was good as there was variety. We had breakfast, lunch and dinner. Breakfast and Dinner both buffet style and lunch down by the beach on a full board menu, with not much variety.
It was pretty much rice with everything, which I suppose is better than chips. Also, we found out that if you ordered drinks in can i.e. Coke, Fanta etc they would charge you £2.00!!! Which we worked out quickly. I started ordering coke in a glass as thats when we got your drinks free with your meals - crafty eh! Also, going back to the drinks, very expensive and your not allowed to bring any drinks into your room either.
My partner and I made sure we went to reception to pay any bills every few days and just as well we did. We found out we had extra drinks, food and an icecream which one of the waiters thought he could treat himself to on behalf of us of course - NOT! Oh yes, if you do decide to stay at this hotel, please keep an eye on your bill.
The hotel is based away from all the bars and clubs which is good news. However, you can get the boat taxi which takes 5 mins to go to the market where you can buy anything and everything for next to nothing. You can also walk down to the marina for a change of scenary, it can be pricey so be careful.

I would not stay here again just for the expense side of things as the scenary and the cleanliness of the hotel was fine."

• Travel date: Tue 22nd of August 2006

Never Again!

"I have visited Turkey on no less than 11 family holidays and have loved every visit...this however changed when my family and myself stayed at the Salmakis Hotel from the 15th July until the 23rd July 2006.
The views surrounding the hotel are wonderful but they did little to console us. As the hotel was rated as being 4 star I expected a lot more than what I got. Every time we have visited Turkey we have always stayed in 4 star hotels and they have a certain standard, the Salmakis however decided to be a rebel and through all of them out of the window.
The rooms that we were given when we first arrived were dusty, unclean with dead insects on the floor and the air con didn't work properly, these rooms I was later told were part of the old part of the hotel. We complained and were moved to better accomodation even though the air con still seemed to have a mind of its own which became rather annoying especially since temperatures were over 30 degrees celsius.
The food was bearable with very little choice both for breakfast and dinner (there's only so many omelettes and rice one can eat). The price of drinks was day light robbery, with a can of coke being £4 at the reception bar and about £2.50 at the hotel restaurant and pool.
For those who have difficulty walking this is NOT the place to go. We would have to walk near enough 200 stairs just to get to the pool or restaurant, and that 3 times a day became ever so annoying. The evening entertainment most nights was a tone deaf musician who would make you suffer through his performances of 'I did it my way'. The hotel as no room service or tea making facilities in its rooms and whenever we asked for something or questioned the hotels service every response we were given was, 'Well we're not a five star hotel are we!', rude to say the least.
I would advise you not to go to this hotel if you wish to enjoy your holiday. There is no way that this hotel is remotely a 4 star hotel as it standards and service were quite poor at times. I love Turkey but the hotel was a real let down and did ruin our holiday a bit.
However it would be unfair to say that all aspects were bad as i recall the cleaners delivered exceptional service with one of them even folding my clothes for me!
I booked this hotel after having read the reviews on this website and as you can imagine I didn't hear the end of it when I was on holiday, so do yourself a favour and book a different hotel.

Anne, Manchester"

• Travel date: Sat 29th of July 2006

Best Ever!

"A girlfriend and I stayed here first week of June 2009, had the best time ever. Really is a 4* hotel. Bar staff great really friendly and nothing too much trouble, food was fabulous bit of a health freak so expected to starve for a week but couldn't stop eating! good choice of healthy options, even served late breakfast for the all nighters! Spent an afternoon in the spa, treatments were great and very reasonable. The only down side, there are a lot of steps, but hey saved me going to the gym for the week and I have a well toned behind. Room cleaned every day, good size, sea view a must, the view is incredible at night. Entertainment brilliant, lots of fun for everyone, you must check out 'one big hands' he's a scream, entertainment staff fantastic took us to a different venue almost every night arranged transport and made sure everyone made it back to the hotel. Would recommend this hotel for families and girl/boys holiday great place."

• Travel date: Tue 30th of June 2009

Very stylish

Good

"I was worried this was the first time we had come to Turkey so i wanted somewhere nice i orginally booked a hotel the Azcar which had bad reviews so i changedto this one and when we arrived the other hotel was next door.

Really clean, room was bit small and we had no balcony upgraded us for free and the staff were very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was something to be desired with very little choice but the evening meal was great and the salads were so fresh and inviting.

the only down side is that it is on a hill and if you having walking difficulties this would not be the hotel for you, and dont buy anything out of the mini bar in the room is so expensive it worked out £5 for a snickers bar and they dont like you taking your own water in as they like you to buy it there we hid ours or filled the water up with their bottle so they didnt know any different because they will consficate it very bad when you have paid for aholiday dictating what you can drink and eat.

Gumbet was great very lively and friendly and we walked down and got the Dolmus back only £2 and went to Bodrum to the Harbour via the Water Taxis they are great. Take a trip to Kos for the day well worth the money only remember to get up in time we was late and missed the ferry but it is only about £10-15 return."

• Travel date: Mon 23rd of February 2009

Hotels near Salmakis Resort & Spa

Stayed at Salmakis Resort & Spa? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Salmakis Resort & Spa

•  A Powell by  A Powell

"Lovely place only watch the retailers try to pressure you into buying their goods "

•  A Powell by  A Powell

"Gumbet had some great restaurants and breakfast for £2 well worth the visit "

Salmakis Resort & Spa is also called