Kervansaray Hotel Kundu

Kundu Mevkii Antalya Merkez Lara Beach, Antalya 07230 Turkey

Good

Good hotel. great value for money.

"After reading the reviews on this hotel we were not looking forward to this holiday. However we were pleasantly surprised. The rooms were very nice, cleaned daily with fantastic views of the sea and a mini bar that was stocked daily. Safety deposit boxes were free. Pools were very clean and the water slides were brill, our daughter Eleanor had a great time on them. Some people complained that the neighbouring hotels were much better, but did they price them up (obviously not). We did and found them to be about £800 more for the fortnight. Animation team put on some good shows and worked really hard all day long. Overall we had a fantastic holiday and met some really lovely people.

The Ince family from Bolton"

• Travel date: Fri 17th of August 2007

our terrible holiday

"when we arrived at 5am after my mums suitecase never turned up and after the coach left without us we eventually arrived at the hotel checked in and went up stairs to our room. after a few hours of sleep we opened the cutains to see a giant crack in one of the doors which was taped up with selotape. every morning about 10am the maid would just walk straight into our room. the lifts are rubbish because twice i saw them brake down but the first time the staff did nothing about it. one day we tried the seafood restaurant. when we got there all the food was already set out on the table who knows how long they'd been there they might have been out of date or flys might of landed on the food. then the next morning we all had upset stomachs and wondered if it was the food we had that night. now coming up to the end of our holiday my ear started hurting so we went to see the hotel doctor and he said that the pool had no chlorine in it and had lots of germs in it then he said you must go to hospital.

after going to hospital luckily it was the end of our terrible holiday. the only good thing was the pianist called Barbara, who played the piano every other night in the Piano Bar."

• Travel date: Thu 16th of August 2007

Humanitarian warning : AVOID KERVANSARAY (unless you pay the price for a 3 star

"After a pleasant holiday in Antalya (Belek region) in 2006 I have decided to repeat the experience this year. I went for Kervansaray Kundu knowing that it is quite new (opened last year). Big mistake…my mistake in fact as I heard many complaints about Kervansaray Lara (same chain, located in neighborhood).

We (with kids of 8 and 3) have endured an ordeal of 2 weeks of frustration as Kervensaray Kundu is no more no less than an ordinary 3 star hotel. The furniture is cheap, the beds and pillows quite uncomfortable, the bathroom has poor light, the concept of the hotel and its surroundings is basic, very minimalist, looking for functionality at low cost.

As for the services, besides finding dark, blonde and pubic hair in the food there are no good things to mention:
-the whole staff have un unfriendly attitude (with few exceptions)
-(probably for economy reasons) everything is under direct sunlight, no other buildings to provide shadows are in place and that’s why the waiters are all sweat; they have the bad habit to serve the drinks keeping their sweating hands on the top of the glass (where you put your mouth)
-room cleaning is done every other day at best and at 3 in the afternoon the staff makes big noise on the hallway knocking on all doors to hand the lousy drinks for the day
-everyday embarrassing queue for the ice cream from 4 to 5
-The 3 a la carte restaurants are a bad joke: no menu to choose from, the food sucks (the Italian has no pizza…)
-There is no restaurant to serve the meals, it’s a canteen for the working class; again, no shadow on the terrace (the cheap umbrellas are no match for the almighty sun during the day) so the poor breakfast (miserable coffee) and lunch (acceptable) will be taken into the canteen; the food is good at dinner and it’s ok to stay on the terrace
-In the canteen the baby corner contain 3 boxes: biscuits, corn flakes and sugar

For a moment I thought that the whole area is coursed and all hotels are the same. To convince myself I have trespassed to all neighboring hotels and what I have found there deepened my frustration as the ambience were marvelous, very luxurious … like in a real 5 stars hotel (Royal Wings, Sherwood, Limak, etc.)

On the good side the animation team was ok, but once their show was over the everyday beach party ended up before really starting in total failure.

…I’m puzzled by the favorable reviews found on this site (should be written either by hotel staff or by north Korean tourists)."

• Travel date: Sat 11th of August 2007

Its not as bad as some make out!!

Good

"There were two families in our party (9 people in all) We had booked this hotel last year and had watched the reports with interest. I have to say that we were quite concerned at comments made of others experiences and I even contacted Thomas Cook the week before departure to see if there was a serious problem with this hotel. The main road in Lara is full of very glamourous looking hotels and when we arrived at ours in the early hours the lights were off and it was tucked away slightly however reception greeted us and we were shown to our rooms by the porter. We had requested all 4 rooms near each other, and were a little worried that the children would not be on the same floor as us, but we were very pleased to find that we had been allocated interconnecting rooms. We later found out that this was due to the very helpful rep who couldnt do enough for you. The hotel was extremley clean throughout. We did not find the food to be repetative however if you were fussy and not prepared to try other dishes then perhaps you may say it was repetative. I do agree that a 5* is probably not the right rating perhaps a 4* plus, however this could be due to other guests that did not dress up for their evening meal. We watched some people walk off the beach with beach towels under their arms and join the other diners whilst in their beach wear. I did pass this comment on to the manager and said that for a 5* there should be a restaurant manager to enforce the dress code, and to stop peolpe walking out of the restaurant with plates full of food that you would often see later scattered around the hotel. This is normally the case even at 4* hotels!! Animation entertainment was varied in the day and there if you wanted to join in. They worked hard!! However some of the evening entertainment was very poor. The best night for us was the Turkish night whereall the stops were pulled out, it was great to see some of the culture. Reception staff were not particulary helpful however staff in the bars and restaurant were and they love small children!! The good points far outweigh the bad points. Overall our holiday was really good and I think that we had value for money. If you are going to this hotel do not worry we were pleasantly surprised."

• Travel date: Tue 31st of July 2007

worst holiday ever!

"We booked this as a 5* AI allocation on arrival, the travel agent Thomas Cook Gave us their Turkey brochure saying that it would be one of the 5* star hotels featured in the brochure.IT WASN'T On arrival after a horrific flight due to it being a Turkish Airline where the cabin crew could not understand a word anyone was saying we were allocated the kundu at lara beach. Our hopes were raised as we had read about lara beach in the Thomas Cook brochure and seeing all the amazing hotels other people were getting dropped of at we were getting excited. The mini bus pulled into this derelict road with sheds and unkempt ground and at the side it was very obvious another hotel was due being built as the foundations were in place for it. We arrived at a front entrance of a ugly hotel with no bell boy so we had to struggle with 2 cases hand luggage and our sleepy grumpy 3 year old. Check in was a nightmare, room horrible, staff unfriendly, no dress code for restaraunt, nothing for kids, no foreign exchange, the rest of holiday was a totally horrible worst ever no way was this a 5* a 3* more like.
Husband complained to rep at welcome meeting and was told we would need to pay to be moved as we had already paid out a fortune their was no way we were paying more and told rep we would complain back in UK to Thomas Cook."

• Travel date: Sun 22nd of July 2007

enjoyed our staying, but...

Good

"We (I and my husband) and other two families of our friends stayed at this hotel the last week of this June. I will only speak from my personal point of view.
The first impression at the reception was that they wanted to get rid of us quickly. No welcoming gestures or anything. We were supposed to carry our luggage in the rooms, although the porters were there, in the lobby, watching our luggage... Maybe we were supposed to ask for this service?! Anyway...
To make it short, the rooms were ok, very clean. If I were to choose a word for the hotel, that is CLEAN. The services were average, the waiters were prompt and friendly, which brings a plus for the efficiency of the staff.
A five star hotel? I don't know. Maybe 4+. We didn't expect more because of the price. To be honest, it was a fare price and the services were accordingly.
My personal impression is that probably the hotel was meant to be a 5 star hotel, but for some reason, probably to attract more tourists, they lowered the standards. Honestly, at a 5 star hotel you would expect 5 star guests... And in this case, some people didn't behave like "5 star"!
One more complaint would be about the a la carte restaurant. One evening we chose the fish restaurant. All of us, 10 people, made reservations there. The service was extremely slow and all in all, they served us about three portions of food for ten people! It was embarrassing, as you couldn't make a choice of what to taste....

Well, the pools were ok, the beach was ok, too, except the last two days when it was very dirty!!

The animation was poor. Well, it was OK during the day, but in the evening it was bad.

I had a good holiday, not an exceptional one.
I would suggest the owner of the hotel to rate it 4 star+.
Personally, from a 5 star hotel, you would expect the "wow" element.

We also stayed at 3 star+ and a 4 star+ hotels in Turkey, and the services were the same. Maybe the animation and the atmpsphere were even better, so..."

• Travel date: Tue 3rd of July 2007

Good

"I don’t know whether to put my review into the Kervansaray Kundu comments or the Kervansaray Lara comments, so I will do it in both. I will also continue my review by using the letter “K” to mean Kervansaray. My girlfriend and I are just back and having booked through Thomas Cook, we were expecting to arrive at the “K” Lara, the dark coloured hotel because that was the only one in the Thomas Cook Turkey brochure. We arrived at almost 3am in the morning (T C in their wisdom decided to hold their welcoming meeting at 9am the following morning, which we were never likely to attend). Our mini bus turned into Lara Beach in the darkness of night and there in front of us was “K” Lara, the hotel I had thought we were to be staying in. The driver however drove about 1km further down the road but still on Lara Beach and turned into another hotel called “K” Kundu and we were all told that we had reached our destination. My initial reaction was that it could not be because this hotel was white and the one we had thought we had booked was darker coloured (kind of reminded me of the Dakota hotels in Britain) but it was 3am, the journey had been tiring and the guy on reception spoke very broken English and I knew it would be too hard to explain our situation.
We got into our room and looked at our travel documents and sure enough it said “K” Kundu and so we could not complain, however I still feel that Thomas Cook telesales representative had sold us the holiday based on the “K” Lara, going by his description of it but nevertheless the build up to our holiday had been spoiled by some of the reviews I had read on this website, the day after booking our holiday.
If my holiday turned out to be great my intention was to write a review and give all the people making negative comments a hard time but as it turned out, it was a very average holiday.
K Kundu is probably just as good as K Lara would have been but I will never know?
The lobby on arrival smelled of stale smoke and having arrived from smoke-free Scotland and being a non-smoker, it was kind of disgusting. The room was a little bit disappointing to say the least for it supposedly being 5 Star. Two very small single beds, side by side. I was expecting them to be a little bit bigger, but nevertheless the room was reasonable nice to look at and very clean (rooms cleaned every day).
Every room in the hotel seems to have a side sea view and overlooks the very long pool. The Staff were all very nice and we did not have a problem with any of them.
The food was fine but nothing great in the main restaurant but better in the A la Carte restaurant and other smaller restaurants (which you are entitled to visit twice on “all inclusive” for a week). I had read a lot of reviews insulting the Russians and Germans for their behaviour at meal times and saying that they were rude and impatient – not true, going by my own experience. The only people that I found to be rude during my stay were a Scottish family on arrival, skipping in front of us at the check-in desk (a young female “ned” (or “chav” as the English call them) with her tattoo ridden father carrying one child and her bloated looking boyfriend pushing the other baby chair, like a couple of her slaves. I was also skipped on a couple of occasions at the bar or in the restaurants but on these occasions it was English people. I would swap a load of British holiday makers for a load of Russian or German holiday makers anytime.
The hotel for some reason had loads of Romanian guests too during our stay but there were people from all over. Russian women really go for it at evening time, in terms of the way they dress for dinner and onwards but at times it can be quite comical considering it’s really just a 3 star hotel with some 4 star touches. It’s kind of as though they go fully expecting it to be 5 star, where as I think perhaps most Brits go knowing it’s not going to be because of the price. At just over £400, I was not expecting much and so the holiday for me was a simple case of, I got what I paid for.
I wanted a week in the sun at a reasonably nice place (not an 18 to 30’s Club) and that’s what I got.
On the topic of Russian women, fantastic if you like thongs but be prepared for your girlfriend keeping her eye on you to make sure you have not noticed them.
In terms of drinks at the hotel, I would say the only beer on offer (the Turkish beer Tuborg) is okay for one or two glasses but impossible to continue drinking for much longer due to the taste. The same applies to the white wine. The red wine is a little bit more drinkable and some of the cocktails like Pina Colada and Sex on the Beach are good too but the only imported drink I noticed and then tried was the rum and so most of the time, I stuck to rum and coke. I tried the whiskey once but it was poor.
There is plenty of food and drink served throughout the day and the burgers at the pool bar were very nice and remarkably light. The staff at the pool bar were also very nice, especially the waiter who supported Besiktas and even the short haired grumpy looking girl was nice underneath her moody exterior.
This was my first experience of an all inclusive holiday and it seems that people tend to be very greedy on it, which is a little bit sickening especially at the ice cream queue. I suppose on reflection on those occasions all nationalities were trying to edge past you, it’s pathetic.
The only other comment I’d like to make is that Thomas Cook from now on are scrubbed as far as I am concerned. I booked a trip on my last day to the ancient city of Perge and the main question I asked just prior to payment was whether the bus or transport taking us there would have air-conditioning. Yes I was assured but did it, no."

• Travel date: Wed 27th of June 2007

Hated this Hotel

"We read the reviews before we left and we were a bit worried after reading them but we went with high hopes. I am sorry to say it was awful we along with all the other british guests tried to get transfers to other hotels, this on the day we arrived. We could have a free transfer to a hotel in belek but no way of knowing if we were jumping from the frying pan into the fire or pay approx another £350 to be moved.to a hotel down the road as we were only there for a week we could not afford to move.
We would not recommend this hotel to anyone, you could do much better than this."

• Travel date: Sun 10th of June 2007

Recommended

"A group of four of us booked a two week stay at this Hotel. We had the choice of up to 12 similar hotels on this strip along Lara beach, all 5 star rated.

The Kundu, like them all, is less than 5 years old and built to high European standards. The whole area is undergoing massive development and there is little to do locally outside the hotel except for shopping. There are few places to walk in the evening therefore except around the shops along the main road thourghfare.

Overall I rated my stay as an 8/10. The all inclusive deal represented good value will all food and drinks were included. You will eat well and plenty from the superb resturant.

Being a resort style hotel you never need to leave the hotel. Gym, Sauna, Turkish bath, swimming, kids and adults entertainments, beach, piano bar, cafe style bars, usual beach and pool side sun bathing, evening disco and many other items.

The hotel is almost IKEA in styling with the front exterior and the vast reception area featuring slowly changing lighting colour effects against the contemporary facades, flooring and modern panels of glass, stainless steel and white marble.

Plain contemporary and modern. The rooms are basic and modern. The only real criticism here is the very firm bed matters
, single pillows and two modest blanket sheets. This may disappoint some used to higher home bedding comforts.

Barbara plays in the Piano bar twice or three times a week on the baby grand piano-forte. Classical to popular melodies echo throughout the bar and reception as you enjoy 'free' drinks from the bar. Classically trained Barbara plays on Wednesdays and Saturdays and gives the hotel a touch of class, glamour and elegance. If you have any sheet music books take them as a gift for her library to add to her collection which she will appreciate and play.

The best advice we received (from Barbara above) was to hire a car and not to bother with the holiday company bus trips. We went on one 'Discover Antalya and were taken to an enclosed Jewellery market and poor waterfront outdoor eating resturant.

She advised us to hire a car, which we did for 4 days and travelled north through the mountains. The views were as spectacular, similar to the best of the Scottish Highlands scenery, which surprised us. We also travelled east and west alone the coastal routes which passed through similarly enjoyable scenery. Highly recommended, driving is easy as the roads are wide, long and dual carriageway in construction. Drive to the historic old Roman towns as your destination guide. You can discover the area yourself without the tourist trap bus trips. Aspendos, Phaselis, Kemer, Isparta, Finike and Olympos which were all interesting to discover.

Car hire at the hotel was equivalent to £80 for 3 days (3 days for the price of 2) for a Hyundai Accent which had air conditioning.

From the hotel you can also get on the local 'Dolmush' buses which run directly into Antalya every 10minutes or so. These old mini-buses seat around 16 but can get crammed at peak times as there seems to be no standing limit!

Bus number 105 takes the most direct route into Antalya for 1.75 Lira. Stand at the side of the road and the bus will stop and pick you up - anywhere. Passengers will pass your money up to the driver and pass your change back down to you again if you are sitting at the rear of the bus. This is standard procedure!

We returned to Glasgow on a flight which departed at 02.30am on Monday morning. This was the worst part of the holiday. everyone was very sleepy and had been up all day as well which meant on arrival in Glasgow we were the walking dead! However I presume these flight slots are cheapest and contributed to the excellent value for money from Thomas Cook."

• Travel date: Sun 3rd of June 2007

Not a 5 star

"This is not a 5 star hotel. I'd class it a 3 star+. The food wasn't amazing but it was ok. no cooked breakfast, i certainly wouldn't have ham and cheese for breakfast! The buffet lunch was similar or same in the evening for dinner on that day. this is not the WOW factor so don't expect 5 star.
There was only 1 bar open and no entertainment in evening apart from 3 nights out of 7. Our 1st night was a beach party which was very good. The other 2 nights of entertainment was not professional but was very amateur.
Animation team during the day were great with lots of activities.
Rooms were nice and spacious.
Loads of watersports available on beach if thats your thing. Really enjoyed them.
would not go back to this hotel but had a good holiday"

• Travel date: Sat 2nd of June 2007

An excellent family hotel

"My family stayed here from 22nd may-june 3rd.Can`t praise it enough,the staff were,helful,polite,friendly and fun!!!!Rooms basic,but very clean,with lovely touches( flowers left in sink,swan towels etc.)The animation team,and shows were 11 out of 10,just fantastic,with brilliant late music and discos.The food was brilliant,such a variety,fresh and something to suit everyone.Never struggled for tables or sunbeds,fresh room and beach towels everyday.Great beach with plenty of watersports and boat trips and paragliding.The toilets were always clean,pretty gardens everywhere you went.Just a fantastic hotel,we will be going back for sure!!"

• Travel date: Fri 15th of June 2012

brilliant holiday

"there was a group of us that went to this hotel, there was 9 of us in the group plus a small baby. the rooms were alright but my sons room had a brick wall for a view, asked if we could change the room they said come back in the morning, but by then my son was fine with the room, you only sleep in it.the hotel was brilliant, would go back there, because everything you need is there. would not go on the boat trip with thompson, it was a waste of money, the animation team was brill, they were so funny and they got on with everyone, there is only one downfall the food was competitive, but you always found something to eat, turkey nights were brill. if you go to the turkish restaurant the food was amazing, loved this hotel so did all my family would go back. if you go to this hotel in september i will warn you it is very hot in the 40."

• Travel date: Sun 25th of September 2011

Hotels near Kervansaray Hotel Kundu

Stayed at Kervansaray Hotel Kundu? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Kervansaray Hotel Kundu

• Hodi by Hodi

"The old harbour at Antalya "

• astirra by astirra

"Wait a couple of years until its been fully built. "

• astirra by astirra

"Theres no sight-seeing or bars/restaurants within 30 mins walk from hotel. "

• gailygirl by gailygirl

"modern and very clean, all staff very helpful and friendly "

• poli80 by poli80

"nice hotel, nice beach, lazy vacation "

• essex group by essex group

"take a walk along the beach it is beautiful "

• Donna W by Donna W

"A very quick transfer from the airport made this an excellent choice. "

Kervansaray Hotel Kundu is also called