definitly go back to altinkum but not esra app

Reviewed Fri 21st of August 2009

"have been to altinkum 3 times and love it. people are lovely and kids love it. would recommend linikers bar and a touch of class resturant. esra appartments are unsuitable for self catering, only had two small rings and no toaster unless you paid £12 a week, even had to ask for a tin opener.bins emptied daily but towels and sheets changed only a few times a week.on a plus side the pool was lovely and kids loved the slides.would go back to altinkum but not these app."

• Travel date: Wed 19th of August 2009

!! Do not stay half board here!!

Reviewed Mon 27th of July 2009

"Paid to stay half board here with Thomas Cook who negelected to tell us it was a set menu!! Quick enough in taking the £336 pounds extra though!! Anyway, turkish breakfast or corn flakes and tea only every morning. If you wanted anything else ie juice, toast anything cooked, you have to pay for it!! Dinner is bland , two choices every night, and repeated nearly every other night but called different names to make you think it is something different!! Entertainment next to nothing, two "special nights" every week, if you want to watch the entertainment and you are half board, you have to pay for it!!On these nights " Half boarders" are herded inside to eat and not allowed out to watch the so called entertainment. You can watch from inside though!!Pool side bar never open though advertised in brochure, downstairs disco never open though in brochure, kids club is used for accommodation for waiters to sleep in!!
If you are inthe main building, you will not get to sleep till around 3.30 in the morning as there are two bars across the road whose sole intent is to outplay one another with the loudest music. Air con is £30 a week, toaster is £12 a week for self caterers. ! free toilet roll Wow! then you need to get your own!
Waiters are not interested in you if you are half boaed as they think they will not get tips off you, self catering residents get served first and quickest! Although Tyson and Apu wre perfect, that was the only two.
Other than that, the place was ok, 10 min walk from Dolphin square, clean enough, pools a bit iffy though as a lot of people got ear infections and ended up in hospital!! Slides are only on 3 times a day for about 20 mins at a time.
Boat trip, go on Taffys British Boat, tell him I recommended him!! Great day!!
To sum up, The Esra is defenitely not for half board customers, you are really treated like 2nd class citizens. Will never be back."

• Travel date: Fri 24th of July 2009

Highly Recommended

Reviewed Mon 6th of July 2009

"This was our first time in Turkey and we cannot get back there quick enough. Altinkum is a great resort and offers something for everyone. The Esra apartments are the best we have ever stayed in. Our Studio was a good size and was clean and tidy as was the rest of the building. The staff were very friendly and always helpful. Located on the edge of the main reort it is very well positioned. The beach is just a 10 minute walk away in one direction (recommend the Penguin Bar at the beach). The harbour and the main promenade which was bursting with bars, restaurants and shops of all kinds is just 10 minutes in the opposite direction. Dolmus bus service is great if you don't fancy walking.
We never ate a bad meal once and tried many different places for lunch and dinner and Very Cheap too.
We are hoping to go back to the Esra next year and would recommend it to anyone, singles, families, young and old.
I would also commend Thomas Cook whose services were also faultless. This was a very enjoyable holiday indeed."

• Travel date: Fri 3rd of July 2009

We recommend ESRA

Reviewed Thu 2nd of July 2009

"We have just returned from ESRA (we being a family of five) and stayed in a one bed apartment. The rooms were very clean and spacious. Maids changedour sheets about every 3 days but called in every day for the rubbish. All the staff were great and work 16 hour days but are all very friendly without being pushy. We went to the Turkish night and really enjoyed ourselves. There is entertainment on every night (BBQ, kids disco, films, etc). They also have the odd entertainment during the day - water polo, tug of war and gladiator (basically two people standing on a surf board trying to knock each other off). The 3 slides are open at 11, 1 and 3 every day. There are 3 pools with the depth approx 1.2m - 1.8m. There is also a very small baby pool (0.5m). The supermarket is a little more expensive than around town and there are also air beds etc for sale. The snack bar and restaurant are reasonably priced.

If you want to go to the beach you can ask at reception and they will get you a free taxi. Most of the restaurants around offer a free car service. Food was fairly cheap with the main meal being around £6-10 per person and most meals came with chips, rice and veg or salad.

The only things that we felt let this place down was the price of air conditioning (£30 per week) and the self-catering facilities were basic (kettle, 2 ring hob and fridge).

We would definitely go back to ESRA and would recommed for families or couples."

• Travel date: Wed 1st of July 2009

Altinkum

Reviewed Thu 28th of May 2009

"We booked this holiday with Goldtrail holidays unbeknown that they had appreared on Watchdog a few weeks earlier. We flew from Birmingham and arrived at Bodrum Airport at 2am. The flight was with Onur Air whom I have never heard of before. There was no in flight entertainment and the price of the drinks were very expensive. The flight attendents did not speak much english and were quite rude. On arrival the workers in the Airport were all wearing face masks I assume to protect them from "Swine Flu" which I found quite off putting. To eneter Turkey you have to pay £10 so make sure that you have a £10 note with you as the men who demand the money do not speak any english and just thrust their hand in your face for the money.
The transfer between the airport and our apartments was very slow as we were transported by a very old mini bus and at that time in the morning all you really want to do is get there!
The Esra Apartments are clean, tidy and the staff are friendly. It is a budget Hotel so do not expect too much. Luckily we went out to eat at night as the "self catering" facilities consisted of a Kettle that was full of limescale and should have been thrown in the bin, a fridge and a two ring hob which we boiled water on for coffee. We did not eat or drink at the apartments so I am unable to comment on those facilities. When speaking to the Manager he informed us that the apartments were only visited by British people and that they catered the entertainment towards the British ie, Bingo, BBQ, Premiership football games.In fact the whole of Altinkum is centered around British tourists and this is evident when you go out to eat at night. The Menus have lots of british specials on them and a small amount of real turkish fayre! I like to eat what the locals eat when I go abroad and save having a sunday cavery until I get home!
We met with the Goldtrail rep who unfortunately had only been working for them for one week and did not know much about the excursions or the area even though so had lived there for 6 years! When we asked what Bodrum and Ephesus were like she could not tell us as she had never been there. I think the reps would be more informative if Goldtrail sent them on the trips that they are paid to sell so they know what they are talking about!
Bodrum is well worth a visit even though it nearly a 2 hr drive from Altinkum. We walked around the castle, around the harbour and marina and sat on the beach which was all very nice. Next time I visit Turkey I would prefer to stay in Bodrum as there is more to do at night etc.
Ephesus is well worth a visit but make sure you take plenty of watre, suncream and something to cover up in if you burn quickly as there is no shade at all and the tour can take 2-3 hrs.
On our final day we were told that we would be picked up from the apartments atnoon to be taken to the airport for a 5pm flight! When the transfer bus had not picked us up at 12.30 I rang the Goldtrail rep to be told that we would be picked up at 2pm instead and that the flight that we should have been catching had changed and would now "drop us off in Birmingham then continue to Newcastle". I had no faith in the rep anyway but sure enough the bus turned up at 2pm after we had sat around the apartment reception just in case they came early. On arrival at Bodrum Airport we found the flight to be delayed which was probably because the check in desks we un-manned for an hour after we arrived and they were still checking people in when we should have taken off! We eventually caught the 5pm flight at 7.30pm and were bound for Birmingham not Newcastle as the rep had advised.
All in all a nice relaxing break but I would not visit Altinkum again as there is not enough choice of "real turkish" entertainment nor cuisine. I certainly would not travel with Goldtrail again as the service was very poor and I had no confidence in them at all.

• Travel date: Thu 28th of May 2009

esra apts pretty good but we found it to...

Reviewed Sun 5th of October 2008

"esra apts pretty good but we found it totally unsuitable for self catering only 2 rings in studio not even a toaster ( unless you hire 1 for £12 a week ) the hotel are obviously keen that you use their bar and restuarant. Prices in mini-market very high go to the tansas by dolphin square or use 1 by sky bar across road.
To be fair to staff they all work hard and are very friendly.
As for resort of Altinkum wouldnt go back there, probably be nice when its finished. "

• Travel date: Sun 5th of October 2008

esra appartments was fab, my first time...

Reviewed Tue 23rd of September 2008

"esra appartments was fab, my first time in turkey and so going back next year, the place was spotless and the people so helpful and kind, when i first got there it was dark and we was so worn out and for the first night i hated it, i wanted to go straight home, but after a good sleep i relized how nice it was, the whole of the appartments need up dating but they are clean and the maids came every day, the staff cant do enough for you, to get to the main square you just hop on the bus at the end of the road, which are every 10 mins, the beach is there too and the turkish people welcome you all day long. i have a ten yr old who is funny about eatin on holiday and she never stopped, so if you fancy a good holiday go to esra with first choice you will not be let down. even the flights were spot on. "

• Travel date: Tue 23rd of September 2008

Had a fantastic holiday at the Esra - ro...

Reviewed Sat 20th of September 2008

"Had a fantastic holiday at the Esra - room 215 is the best as it overlooks the pool and could see the entertaiment from there at night. Without a doubt the people make the holiday as they are so friendly, funny and helpful. We loved the Turkish and BBQ nights - the food was lovely.
The two pools are great and the slides are a must!
We did go to Sky Bar and Zanzi Bar. The lads at Zanzi bar put on a very good dance show - worth a see!
Make sure you make use of the free bus service to the local beach. The pontoon is worth a visit and it is beautiful there at night!
The staff at Esra are fantastic with children so it is a great family holiday!!!
And why not learn some of the Turkish lingo? It will get you by better, especially at the local markets..
I know I'm speaking on behalf of all my group when I say we had a fantastic holiday, a big thank you to the staff at Esra for making it memorable. Cant wait to see all our photos!!
Louisa (stayed with Amanda, Sian and Wendy)"

• Travel date: Sat 20th of September 2008

This was our first holiday to Turkey and...

Reviewed Fri 12th of September 2008

"This was our first holiday to Turkey and we chose Altinkum for the beaches and we were not disappointed. The Esra Apartments looked the best property in all the brochures. When we arrived we had to pay extra for air conditioning which worked out at £30 per week which considering the heat was well worth it. The apartment we were in was of a very good size overlooking the pool area which we thought was great which it was . The only downside for us was that the entertainment was based around the pool everynight which again was good and the entertainment that the apartments provided was excellent ,however some nights it was until the early hours of the morning and even after it had finished people were still shouting and singing until at least 4am in the morning.
We must commend the staff we went down to the pool at apr 8.30am and they were there and at dinner the same staff were there they low and behold at dinner time / until the entertainment had finished the same staff were there. My god do they work long hours they must be taking something as they were so HYPHER!!! and they constantly had smiles and too much energy . My little boy whos 3 years old loved dancing with Justin and we didnt get his name but he is the spitting image of Ronaldo (no actually hes better looking my husbands not reading this so i can put what I like) to 5,6,7,8 and Cotton Eye Joe hes still doing it now, luckily we can download it off the internet. Also my little boy loved Rose he kept calling her his girlfriend.

I could go on but overall the staff, facilities, location at the Esra is amazing and would not hesitate in recommending it to anyone and would go back again. Most of the guests there when we where there had been there numerous times and the welcome you get says it all."

• Travel date: Fri 12th of September 2008

We arrived back from the Esra last week...

Good
Reviewed Tue 9th of September 2008

"We arrived back from the Esra last week and really enjoyed it. The first week we was a little unsure of where everything was but once you get on your feet its a great place to be. The apartments were nice and clean, the maids came in most days and changed the bedding and put clean towels in. The staff at the Esra are very nice especially Rose, Jason, Justin, Hasan and Zombie. All other staff were GREAT they just stuck out more than the others. The sky bar over the road was ok but the Zanzi bar was not upto much. There are a couple of good places to go at the night time if you like a drink and a dance. Must say though when you go out take a little extra money with you because the drinks are more expensive than the apartments drinks. "

• Travel date: Tue 9th of September 2008

We have just got back from Esra and I ha...

Reviewed Tue 9th of September 2008

"We have just got back from Esra and I have to say that after reading the reviews about the hotel, we were very apprehensive. The appartment itself was adequate, clean towels and bedding and we were pleased that in one week, the maid came in three times. Our sink in the bathroom however had a crack in it, and the mop stank and the sponge to step on when getting out of the shower was filthy so we did not use it.
We were also lucky not to have a room around the pool area. If we had, I would have aked to be moved. There was entertainment most nights there and I felt sorry for anyone that had a room there. We had a room round the other side, opposite the bins and barking dogs and Sky bar. I could also not understand why you had to hire a toaster for the week when it should be included if you are self catering. I understand people are on holiday and I don;t like to make it sound like I'm a real misery,as Altinkum itself is not a bad place. We did try sitting round the pool one afternoon,{very slippery} but the music was very loud and they played the same songs over and over again and the cd kept jumping! Not good. They should either turn it down a bit or have times when it is just off. People would have enjoyed it just as much. The staff were ok although they do push you to book nights in the hotel. We ate out every night, but were constantly stopped by people trying to get us in their restaurants to eat. We also had 3 power cuts, so no lights and no lifts until thay got the generator up and running.
Beware also when walking to the shops and beach. Drivers will not go round you, but expect you to walk on the rubble by the side of the road as there are no pavements.
I think it's a shame because I have been to Turkey 3 times and really enjoyed it, however, I feel these appartments are for younger groups or families who want to become involved in the evening entertainment. Be warned also of Bodrum airport, what a ripp off. A small cup of tea and twix cost me 12 turkish lire, and upstairs two small bottles of water was the same, nearly 6 pounds each, everything was wriiten in euros probably just to confuse you.
We did however eat at some lovely places. Big Ben was not bad but we had a really lovely meal in the Victoria which overlooks the sea. The staff were very friendly and made you feel welcome and special.
We only stayed for a week and I feel that that was enough. I feel like a real misery. I am not, myself and my husband are very young mid 30's, but maybe we just had a bad week. Read the reviews from others about the music round the pool, I'm sure a lot of them are quite young. They do say you only get what you pay for. If I ever go again, I would pay a bit more for a nicer place."

• Travel date: Tue 9th of September 2008

I went to esra apartments in 2005 and it...

Reviewed Sat 6th of September 2008

"I went to esra apartments in 2005 and it was fantastic
we arrived and were made welcome. got shown to our rooms and got shown how everything works. we had to move out of our apartment after a few days because there was no hot water but we were moved into a bigger room with a bigger balcony and better view of the pool and sea. The pools were extremely clean and the staff were very friendly. Our room was very clean and the maid came in everyday to clean, change beeding and towels and made different designs out of materials and left them on the beds.

Brillian place