Good

The hotel Rivera is a really nice place ...

Reviewed 26th October 2006

"The hotel Rivera is a really nice place but not a lot of English speaking guests stay there which First Choice never told us. The hotel itself is really nice but the breakfast was not to our taste i.e. A cold buffet of meats cheese fruits etc. boiled eggs being the only hot dish, the food was of high quality but again not to our taste. The hotel staff are very friendly but again do not speak a lot of English, German Dutch &Turkish they speak well. Alanya is a beautiful district with a lot of history good restaurants and a huge bazaar, the beach is fantastic and safe. Down side don’t go in July or August temp. 45/51deg's. 80 percent humidity too hot also prepare for a 2.50 to 3.00 hour trip from the Airport again check there are some English guests staying there as two weeks of sign language does not a stress free holiday make."

• Travel date: 26th October 2006

The Riviera - Our Second Home

Reviewed 14th November 2012

"My wife and I enjoyed our visit to The Riviera Hotel in June 2004 so much that we decided to return in October. The weather was unseasonably good - 28 degrees until the day we left (7th November). The sea was very warm and the water was extremely clear - I saw many fish swimming near me. The sun set at 5pm. Sitting on the beach watching the sun set is magical. Maybe we were just lucky again, or maybe Alanya really is the ideal holiday location. The hotel was much the same as four months previously. I still maintain that it is 5 star quality but without the attitude. There were still problems with the lift from time to time but everything else was perfect. Apparently the restaurant may be redesigned during the winter but we could not see anything wrong with it. We had a different room this time which meant we could not see The Castle, but the view was still super. The main difference was the temperature. In June we could not have survived without the air conditioning. In October it was like an English summer. I agree with another reviewer that the sand on the beach could be described as coarse but it is pleasant to walk, sit and lay on. What's the problem? The staff in the hotel seemed friendlier the second time - maybe because they remembered us. We were given free wine to celebrate my birthday, even though we had not mentioned it to them. Our next visit has been planned to celebrate my wife's birthday. I wonder what they will plan for her! Although the majority of guests were still German, the staff spoke enough English to answer our questions satisfactorily. The star member of staff was Ramio ("Romeo"), the Restaurant Manager. He was the perfect host who seemed devoted to making guests' stays as special as possible. His personality was infectious. There are not many people who can get me to dance! As far as we are concerned, Ramio is what makes The Riviera special. We will be revisiting The Riviera in 3 weeks time and look forward to seeing everyone again. Michael and Tatiana Symes"

• Travel date: 30th January 2005

Turkey with a German Twist

Reviewed 27th October 2012

"I have read the other reviews and think they are fair comment. We stayed over the Christmas holidays, from Boxing Day until the 2nd of Jan. The Turkish do not celebrate Christmas and New Year, although the hotel had made some effort the entertainment was in German, so New Years eve was spent in the bar listening to a music supplied by one of the guests (thanks Eve) much to the annoyance of a German couple. The hotel staff did speak English and there were about 20 English couples staying at the hotel. This resort is more popular with the English as a winter destination therefore you might be on your own in summer. Because of the European influence a lot of shops firstly spoke to you in German, but did understand English. The food in the hotel has a German twist; breakfast had some peculiar combinations like scramble egg mixed with peppers and tomatoes. SPAM featured heavily on the menu in a number of guises. However the meals were buffet style and you could always find something to eat, like boiled eggs and toast, and there was plenty of it. We did not use the pool because of the weather although we did sun bathe (yes in December). There is no indoor pool as advertised on some Internet sites although there may have been at some time. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The beds were twins (although one couple did have a double) and they were a little bit short in length, but very comfortable. The bathrooms had a bath and you could put toilet paper down the loo, I have been visiting Turkey for sometime and these are rare luxuries in some resorts. The TV only had one English channel; most of the programmes on the other channels where English but dubbed in German, occasionally an English film would be on with German sub titles. The prices in the hotel bar were surprisingly cheap compared to surrounding bars. A large beer was 3 new Turkish Lira, whilst we paid 5 in a bar for a small beer and 9 for a small beer in the IC Hotel near the Airport. Sprits were expensive (11 nTL) in the hotel and outside bars, often 1 shot with mixer was priced the same as half a litre in the supermarkets. The beach was quite near but the sand was coarse. The sea was warm but I was put off from swimming because of the rocks under the water. I would not like to put anyone off from visiting this hotel or resort; we enjoyed our stay but will be sticking to the more English parts of Turkey in future."

• Travel date: 14th January 2005

What a lovely hotel

Reviewed 14th November 2012

"Got back from the riviera 17th october 2004. I have to disagree with the person who said that hardly any staff spoke english as this was not the case with me. I met 8 english couples who were staying at this hotel and we all spoke away to the staff. They do understand german better but seem to be picking up english very well. This hotel was spotless with the rooms being cleaned every day. Romeo the manager was on hand to help with anything he could. I found turkey very cheap and the people so friendly. I was worried about going to turkey as i'm used to spain but after turkey i've decided to go back as i just find it a lovely country."

• Travel date: 4th November 2004

Very Good

Reviewed 14th October 2012

"My girlfriend and I stayed at this hotel, for a week, in mid August 2004. The hotel was good - certainly not 5* standard as one previous reviewer has said, but nevertheless very comfortable. We were the only English speaking couple who were staying at the hotel when we were there - everybody else was either Scandi, Dutch or German. This did not bother us too much, though. A word of warning about Alanya - if you are looking to stay somewhere where there are lots of other English people/English speakers, give this resort a miss. If however this does not bother you and you want to holiday in a multi-cultural, multi-lingual resort which has beautiful scenery and landscape, you could do a lot worse than Alanya. We would rate the hotel as very good. We stayed on a B&B basis. Breakfast was fine - the food was quite 'German', but we did not mind that. The hotel was generally very clean and our room was spotless. The hotel is a very short walk from the beach. The beach was nice, but not white sand (the sand was quite coarse) and was a little bit rocky."

• Travel date: 29th September 2004