Beach Club Doganay

Gerpelit Mevkii Konakli, Alanya Turkey

Fantastic value for money

"Having been to Turkey in June and very much enjoyed a fantastic all incl deal for £196 each we booked a week's holiday in August for ourselves and my husband's 3 children. A couple that we met on our June holiday also wanted to come with us again so there were 7 of us in all. We booked the holiday on the lastminute.com website and we each paid £449 all incl (incl taxes & fuel surcharges) to fly from Manchester. I booked the airport transfer on the internet through Shuttle Direct - which cost us just over £18 each. Thomas Cook were charging £23 for their transfers. It was a result! The air con minibus was waiting for us when we arrived at Antalaya and within a matter of minutes we were off to the hotel, no waiting around checking clipboards to see who was missing off the bus & no stopping at other hotels on the way only to find that yours is the last on the list! We had booked 2 rooms for our family requesting interconnecting rooms but when we arrived although the children were in a room on the same floor we were not together which we were not happy about. We were told that it could be sorted for us in the morning and as the children were 17,14 & 12 we decided we would leave it til morning. In the morning we were allocated rooms next door to each other which was fine. We found the rooms to be spacious and well decorated with lots of lighting and mirrors. The hotel itself is extremely lovely. The reception area was quite stunning with coloured lights and glass elevators and there are lots of seating areas if you want to sit and relax and get out of the sun. The first day the hairdryer wasn't working in our room - I reported it at reception and within 2 hours we had a brand new one fitted. We found the reception staff to be incredibly helpful. I have read the earlier reviews but I'm afraid I totally disagree about the food. We enjoyed the food very much. Panckes, omlettes and eggs were freshly cooked at breakfast and the main courses were varied and good. People tend when they go abroad to expect to have the same food as they would have in England. I would be devastated to travel all that way to be served up with fishfingers & chips or cottage pie. In some countries the bread is quite stale and sweet but the bread in the hotel was gorgeus. There is food available for most of the day either at the beach/pool bars & restaurant and the soup at midnight was brilliant. The children loved the pool and the slides and the entertainment team were very friendly and worked extremely hard
both during the day and evening. They often brought fresh fruit out to everyone around the pool. We went in to Alanya 2 nights. I think the bar was called the Queens Bar in the middle of a square. The drinks weren't particularly cheap but the entertainment from the waiters is worth spending the evening there. We were coming back to the hotel probably around 1'ish in the morning but where in Gumbet the dolmus buses run 24 hours they don't in Alanya and on both occasions we had to get a taxi back but that cost about 25 Lire for the 7 of us. We were there for a chilling out week and didn't venture any farther than down to the beach. There doesn't seem to be anythng outside the hotel apart from the main road so anyone who likes to stroll out from the hotel may want to bear that in mind. There are lovely views up to the hills above the hotel. The weather was fantastic - definitely into the 40's but we found it bearable. Just a word of warning we spoke to one English guy who had bought some local sun cream and his daughter had a massive allergic reaction to it and ended up in hospital on a drip - so make sure you take plenty of sun lotions with you. I honestly couldn't fault the holiday at all - I suppose the only gripe we had that there weren't enough bar staff on the main bar which sometimes ended in a free for all. We came away less than a week ago feeling that we had definitely had value for money. The return transfer was again on time with no problems. We would certainly return to the hotel again."

• Travel date: Mon 3rd of September 2007

great kids waterslides/pools

"We stayed for one week in August and it was very, very, hot ! However the air-conditioning in our room was very effective, not so in the rest of the hotel as doors were always left open.Our 10 and eight year old loved the pool with the waterslides which were perfect for them. They are not very confident swimmers and could just stand up in the pool and spent hours messing around. The pool opened from 8am to 6pm and the slides from 10am-12 then in the afternoon from 4-6. A holidaymaker that we spoke to had witnessed 3 accidents caused by people not moving away from the slides quick enough then being hit in the pool by the next person( causing two broken wrists and knocked out teeth)However we warned our kids to swim away quickly after using the slides and they were fine. There is no life-guard or attendant on duty.
We visited the beach once, the sea was lovely, warm and clear but the beach is very shingly and uncomfortable. We weren't impressed.
The hotel is 7 km from Alanya and we visited twice in the evening for shopping (a free bus runs four times a day from the hotel) but there is nowhere local to walk to, we were pretty much stuck in the hotel all week,my kids and husband didn't mind but I did get bored at times. Entertainment by the hotel was a mini-disco which was exactly the same each night - although the kids enjoyed it. Followed by entertainment for an hour or so which was OK to good.
Food-wise was OK-we enjoyed the pancakes for breakfast, fresh Turkish bread, the poolside chips and burgers, ice-creams at dinner and fresh fruit, but disliked the deserts and range of main courses. The food was very much geared to the Turkish, Russian and German guests. (Be warned, the choice of breakfast is limited if you arrive after 9am.)I took my own Earl grey teabags and was very pleased that I did as I didn't like the herbal teas on offer.Free drinks were proper coca-cola and fanta orange but my kids disliked the local lemonade.
All in all we did have a good week but we would have preferred a hotel within walking distance of a resort."

• Travel date: Wed 29th of August 2007

Not a five start

"We went with two children aged 2 & 4 upon arrival [approx 4.00am] we got to our room only to find one double bed and one single they did try to find another bed but after a lot of messing about i said forget it we will sort it out tomorrow [ clearly stated i booked a family room].
The hotel itself was very clean and staff very helpful, the pools my children loved.
The major down side to this hotel was the food, disgusting.The hotel was mainly occupied by Russians so thats who rightly so catered for [Do not expect bacon and eggs].
The private beach was lovely as was the staff.
The weather was superb but i would not go in peak as the staff said it reaches 40 degrees and even the pools are too hot to go in.
Do not take loads of clothes as deisigner gear at basement prices [ copies of course] are every where.
Overall nice hotel shame about the food, would not go back but we did have a nice time and the kids enjoyed it."

• Travel date: Thu 9th of August 2007

had a good holiday

Good

"just got back from doganay hotel and had a brilliant holiday i went with my friends familly and it was brilliant.i only put it as a 4 star though because as 14 year old and there was nothing for us to do.that was until my friends mother complained and they let kids do things.it was fun.i went on the jetskis on the beach and it was the best time ive had in my ife.i would definately go again it was fun but abit too hot but there is nothing they could do about it they had air con on in most places.it overall it was a brilliant holdiay."

• Travel date: Sun 29th of July 2007

Would Go Back

Good

"We have recently returned from a weeks stay at the Doganay Beach Club Hotel and promised myself that I would give a review on our return because we found the site so useful prior to our departure.

The Hotel is about a two hour road journey from the airport, which is a little wearing after clearing customs and collecting luggage at 02:00 Hrs in the morning and I would recommend asking reception for some food whilst booking in unless you are willing to await breakfast.

The hotel has recently undergone a refurbishment and is nicely appointed with reasonably attentive staff but as other reviewers have stated, do not expect English 5 star service, it is around a three star standard and for the money we were paying we were very happy to accept this. Meal times are very exact and the choice of the self service foods was excellent but I should make mention that there were many Eastern European staying during our time and they were seen to be very generous with their helpings, which were not then consumed which meant that the selection of available dishes was not available for the later arrivals but this criticism was equalled out by the entertainment value they provided as long as you are not squeamish.

There is a choice of swimming pools (three) and a beach with suitable shade and bar serving drinks and snacks from 11:00 - 18:00 Hrs. The beach was pleasant but can get very crowded if looking for shade, the beach was mostly sand which stopped at the waters edge to become rock, a little un-nerving when going into and out of the sea but then again I have always been fussy regarding beaches.

The entertainment provided by the hotel is enthusiastic but they are trying to cater to three broad national tastes, German, Russian and English, which is not easy, and the humour was for my taste, childish but then there were a lot of children in the audience so maybe this is whom it was aimed at, but I think not!

The rooms were very good and reasonably proportioned, all had working air conditioning and small fridges stocked with water and fruit juice, there was also coffee & tea making facilities but do not use the powdered milk in the tea unless you are a seasoned traveller, it was awful!

I was told that you could drink at one of the bars for 24 hours if you wished but we never put this to the test but can say that one of the bars was always open when we turned in and the local wines and spirits were quite acceptable, no particular complaints there.

Would recommend visiting the town of Alanya, we took the local buses which were cheap or free if you took the hotel one. The town had good restaurants and bars and I can recommend having a shave and haircut, excellent value and meticulous service. The harbour area is very popular but the town’s side streets can also offer some very interesting venues.

We were there for only seven days and I managed to read seven books, so you can probably tell that ours was Rest and Relaxation holiday and coupled with the all inclusive deal it was felt to be just what we expected and we would not be upset if the opportunity presented itself to pay a return visit but from our point of view High Season would not appear to most suitable.

Whilst bringing this review to a conclusion may I also add that we found a previous reviewers suggestion of taking Euros to be most beneficial and it was a recognised and more than acceptable form of currency throughout, although be careful as this assures all traders that you are a tourist and therefore be aware of the exchange rates being used. However in my case I think that the Hawaiian shirt and Panama hat was more of a giveaway than my Euros.

Also be aware that they are starting to weigh baggage and if they don't get you on the way out, they will almost undoubtedly get you when checking in on your return leg.

It is hoped that this has helped and that if you go that you have an equally enjoyable stay?"

• Travel date: Thu 21st of June 2007

brilliant hotel

"This hotel was the best hotel i have ever been to. we got it for about £280 each all inclusive which was worth every penny and more.

It is a cosmopolitan hotel with a mixture of russian, german, dutch, polish, turkish, kazacstan. it was an interesting mix with english being in the minority, this was good though and we enjoyed mixing with people from different cultures. everyone is really friendly.

The hotel has recently been refurbished and the rooms were gorgeous, the beds were really comfortable and there was a free mini bar that is stocked daily.

The hotel is very tastefully decorated in a middle eastern style.
The drinks were free flowing all day and all evening including bailys (my favourite) and coctails. There is also a wide variety of soft drinks to choose form which are chilled and include kiwi, peach and currant juice amongst the usual.

Plenty of food to choose from incuding plenty of salad suff and dips with exception of the sweets the food wasn't the best but you could usually find something you liked. The omlettes and pancakes at breakfast were deliscious. The sweets looked and tasted absolutly deliscious (not good if you've mannaged to shed a few pounds before you go).

Entertainment was fantastic, the animation team worked really hard and got everyone involved kids and adults alike incuding all kinds of water sports water volley, water aerobics and much more... Other activities included table tennis tournements, crazy darts, step aerobics, yoga, belly dancing classes. These activities made it great for meeting people too.There was also evening entertainment for kids and family entertainment like fire blowing and dance shows. and a disco that went on until the early hours at the beach bar with drinks still free flowing.

The beach was part shingle and not the nicest i've ever been too but it was ok and you got free sun beds. There are two pools one with slides that the entertainment was focused around and the other was a quite pool.

The gardens were lovely and had beenie cushions and swinging chairs there was also a lovely water faeture. There were tennis courts and a childrens play area including kids club.

Isuppose the only drawback, if you could call it that is that its far out from the the town with shops and bars but there are buses every five mins to alanya and konakli which is in the opposite direction both are about a 15 min bus ride. There is also a free shuttle bus from the hotel. Being quite far out didn't bother us at all as there was plenty to do in the hotel.

I loved this holiday and will definately be returning.

one tip though, if you decide to book a trip from one of the trip agents in town make sure you don't accept their first price and just walk away if they won't do it cheaper. we paid £16 for our boat trip but another couple we spoke to got it for £11. and they made out that they were doing it for an extra special price, once we had paid the money they said the wanted a tip for giving us such a good price otherwise the guy won't get any commission. we spoke to other people and they said the same to them. so don't feel obligated."

• Travel date: Sat 26th of May 2007

friendly hotel

Good

"Booked this hotel first time in turkey. States 5 star, i would go along with that but the food is only average, i think this is all the same in turkey. pools great indoor and outdoor and the private beach with its own bar and snacks brilliant. Well worth the £218 each we paid. can be a bit noisy at night due to the free 24 hour bar"

• Travel date: Wed 25th of April 2007

Certainly not a 5 Star Hotel-more like a 2 Star

"I was horrfied to see when I arrived that this was a 5 star hotel.
The rooms were of a 2/3 star standard . The hotel was rated 5 star but this was misleading as it was following Turkish standards which are a minimum 2 or 3 notches below western standards.

The buffet food was good but there was no other options really besides one other restaurant which served a reduced menu from the buffet really....

The staff were quite nice though"

• Travel date: Mon 18th of December 2006

Was Fine

Good

"My husband & I have just returned from a holiday at the Doganay Beach Hotel, which I have to say, despite the appalling weather conditions we did enjoy. The hotel was spotless, the food though not to my liking (I am a vegetarian) was enjoyed by most people & we ate most evenings at the Beach Club where the chef was happy to cook me special meals, mostly pizzas, but hey I was on holiday! I will say that the bread in Turkey is about the best I have eaten anywhere, it was delicious.

Quite a few of the staff were fluent in German but hardly so in English, however it did not cause major problems & they were busy working to improve their English, hoping for more visitors from the UK. In total I would guess there were about 20 Brits there whilst we were in residence.

The weather apart, & that can't be blamed on anyone, the only downside was that there was nowhere to walk to other than the beach & around the hotel grounds as the hotel was some distance from town. On the one good day we did have we went on the hotel bus into Alanya which has a very pretty harbour & caught a local bus back to the hotel, the driver being more than happy to stop wherever anyone requested.

The facilities from what we could see were good but the weather stopped most of them from being used so the indoor pool was a bonus especially for families with children."

• Travel date: Fri 10th of November 2006

a five star which is a very good3 star

"we bought this holiday via travelrepublic who were very good in getting us a 5 star hotel and flight plus transfer to hotel. however it was a shock on arriving to find the man on the desk could not speak much english, in the end we found that having arrived at 06.00 in the morning very tired and thirsty to be told sit over there via hand waving and told we could not get a room till 12.00 noon,
but as it happened we were called to the desk and told we could go into breakfast at 07.00 and after we would get a room we did this and got a room, which was very nice for our needs. We were 4 people in a 5 person room but ther was only bedding for 2 we complaned about this for 3 days and got 1 more sheet, after 4 days my wife saw one of the maids how asked how many we got the second sheet. after that things got better. the food is first class and a large slection ,the staff is very friendly and helpfull, the hotel is first class for been clean and the staff clear the tables every 2 or 3 mins never a dirty ash tray. the only drawback obout the hotel is the night entertanment it is very poor it caters more for germans, turkish and russia the english are in the minority.
but one the whole it is a good value hotel ,clean, good food ,good private beach ,good service. but you must like it quiet ,I would give it 8 out of ten and rate it at a very good 3 star"

• Travel date: Sun 17th of September 2006

hotel and review

"we just recently came back from here the hotel was really good apart from the food was always cold when they served this even though it was on a hot plate, the choice of food was good but generally the same, the bar was only open till 11pm the drinks were available all day , there was no snacks to eat apart from biscuits which i found not good, the hotel was friendly and entertainment was good with not being in season we were out of season, the beach was clean the hotel was clean and they cleaned your rooms everyday if you needed to for the amount of money we paid it was not bad but i would not really rate this a 5 star more like a 3 star "

• Travel date: Thu 31st of March 2011

plese , do not go there !

"first of all the staff are very,very rude , full of cats , bugs everywhere ..didn't enjoy it at all !!! the food is poor ,drinks are so cheap ??? is not a 5* hotel as they say ??? it might be 3* only !
do not go there !!!!"

• Travel date: Wed 21st of July 2010

Hotels near Beach Club Doganay

Stayed at Beach Club Doganay? Share your insight.

Beach Club Doganay is also called