Nice Hotel

Reviewed Sat 29th of December 2012

"Just returned from this hotel. The hotel is lovely, one of the nicer looking hotels I have stayed in (check out their website) - nice and clean; most of the staff friendly. Facilities include pool, both inside and out, but the water is cold; gym, sauna, steam room, ampitheatre, bars, but no tennis courts and beach is about 200 metres away.
Downside mainly concerned the food - plenty of it but there is a lack of variety. It was the same each day both for lunch and evening meal - probably why the a la carte restaurants were popular. We were initially told that only one a al carte open each day and to book in the morning for evening meal (which consists of a standard menu with no choice) but found that we had to book days in advance and that at least 2 of them were available each day (misinfo from rep). Also, apart from salads there is limited choice for vegetarians in any of the restaurants.
Watch out on the massage with the turkish bath - (as we found to our cost but should have known) you can get much cheaper outside of the hotel but can guarantee that if you do have one there you will have a problem with your back and therefore you will need more intense massages to cure (and at a price).
The evening entertainment wasn't brilliant - daytime wasn't much better. Same standard as seen elsewhere in Turkey. There is a disco which starts around 11pm or depending on when the evening entertainment ends, but the the space is just about big enough to swing a cat and the times we past by there was no one in there.
Apart from a number of other hotels in the area there are very few bars out on the streets. Avsellar, which is about 15 minutes walk from the hotel, has a great shopping area. Worth a visit. There is also a market on Sundays across the road from the hotel.
No welcome drink or fruit in the room (as have had with other hotels) on arrival, nor one during the rep meeting - Thomas Cook no doubt keeping their costs down. Had heard that this was the first time for English people in the hotel this year - hotel is popular with the Germans.
Local alcoholic drinks limited to beer, wine, brandy and vodka - drinks like cocktails you were expected to pay for.
There is also a teenage club but apart from the table tennis you are expected to pay for other things such as pool, air hockey.
Despite the negatives this is a great hotel to go to if you want to get away from it all. Trip to Alanya is a worth a visit - harbour area nice. If visiting the castle, watch out for the 'private' tour guide as if daft like us to follow him you will leave with lighter pockets."

• Travel date: Wed 24th of October 2007

excellent hotel

Reviewed Thu 27th of December 2012

"i stayed in this hotel in sep 2007 with me and my partner we booked it on the off chance and it was amazing i have never been to a hotel where there are people constantly cleaning! The rooms were fantastic we were in the main block and they were lovely very spacious cleaned every day and a fridge in your room was re fillled every day with water and juice.

The food was lovely i am a fussy eater and i always had a good choice to choose from the 3 a'l carte resturants are lovely and very well decorated but the mediterrain is all fish which i didnt know at the time!!!

The pool was massive and the mini water park on site was brilliant

The animation team were brilliant and there evening shows kepts us very entertained

this was a brilliant holiday and i wuold not hesitate to go back to this hotel"

• Travel date: Sat 13th of October 2007

Great Holiday!

Reviewed Fri 21st of December 2012

"Me and my partner stayed here 14/08/07 for 1 week.
On arriving we thought the hotel was fabulous, Reception was clean and spacious and looked very luxurious. Check in was quick and easy where we were given an armband and information on the resort.

Our room was in the main block overlooking the pool, big spacious room, decor really smart and bathroom clean with a good size bath and powerful shower. The Air con was really good and was free!!

The pool is a fantastic size and if the main pool gets a bit too busy with kids there is the relaxation pool in nice gardens.

Animation team were fantastic (Especially Crazy, Can and Chafik) and kept everyone entertained day and night. Pool games in the day, rifle shooting music and at night shows in the Ampitheatre. Snow White is a MUST!!

The food is the only thing that could do with improving, but I think that this will change with the more English guests that go here. At present, it is very much to German and Russian tastes but we always found something to eat.
The Chinese was ok, but we were told the Ottoman and Mediterranean restaurants were good, but reserve for them early in the week!

The Spa is a must too, excellent staff at excellent prices, but barter in there too as I got a head massage from £25.00 down to £12.00!!

Overall, a fantastic hotel that we would definately go back to. People were nice and the Alanya coast is beautiful!"

• Travel date: Wed 22nd of August 2007

Alaiye, great venue, beware with hygiene

Reviewed Sat 22nd of December 2012

"It is a Turkish 5 star hotel. It means it is a little bit of a mix:
facility 5 star, service management 3 star. The staff is friendly but not all are very keen on working up to the standard.
Great animation group, high standard of night shows.
The Hotel design is outstanding almost spotlessly luxurious. The first impressions are really fascinating.
There were two issues only slight diarrea cases, and the distance from the see beach is longer than a real 5 start standard and not the allocated see beach is not the best of the available either.
We would still recommend it even to friends who are less sensitive with their stomach. The facilities outweigh the shortcomings. Please see the WEB site of the hotel."

• Travel date: Wed 22nd of August 2007

Great for all inclusive

Reviewed Sun 23rd of December 2012

"A good all round hotel for all inclusive families. Beach only 200mtr with free sunbeds. They even have reasonable evening entertainment. Food was average to good. Beware your daughters with the animation team! Evening entertainment can be a bit crude."

• Travel date: Fri 27th of July 2007

All Inclusive

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"Many people I know have been to Turkey and they have all praised the resorts they have stayed in, the Alaiye being no acception. I have never been on an all inclusive holiday before but it is definately the most cost effective method, as there is no need to eat out, unless you wish to.

We didn't leave the resort much because everything is very compact, but others I have spoken to say they Alanya (10 minutes by bus) is also a very agreeable coastal town. The food was good, the hotel spotless and above all, the staff made us feel very welcome. The only negative point I have is that many of the other guests were Russian or German, which presented somewhat of a language barrier. But most spoke very good English and we soon made friends.

Overall I would definately reccomend this hotel, although it may be better suited for a family rather than young adults wishing to go out on the town. And my favourite part of the holiday? well apart from the open bar (10am-1am), I think it has to be the friendly attitude of the waiters as they really make you feel part of the resort (I even exchanged e-mail addresses with one!).

Abby, 16 from Devon"

• Travel date: Sat 14th of July 2007

Single Parent and Daughter from London

Reviewed Sun 25th of November 2012

"I read the reviews long after I had booked the hotel and was scared and disappointed at the fact that the reviews were so terrible. If I were to advise someone going to this hotel and is looking at these reviews, do not take any notice of them for they are WAY too harsh.

On arriving at the hotel, and reading the awful reviews, I had initially felt upset about where we were situated (especially because we had arrived in the dark). But my daughter and I went to the welcome meeting and explained all our problems to the representative and she sorted us out. If it wasn't for her help we wouldn't of had such a good time. So if you do go to the Alaiye hotel and you find you have a problem don't keep it quiet. Tell the representative and FOR SURE she/he will help you out.

I was looking for a clean environment for myself and my thirteen year old daughter and that is exactly what I got. I didn't want to be tied to the hotel becuase I wanted to be able to go out and explore Alanya for myself. The hotel staff were very friendly and we almost felt as if we were all a part of a family in some respect. The staff DID speak enough English for us to learn a bit of Turkish and they were helpful enough to cater for our needs.

Alanya itself is VERY beautiful. We went on an organized boat trip, fairly priced, which we thoroughly enjoyed. We visited the ancient castle ruins and visited the caves in Alanya. Our favourite excursion was to visit a place called "Dim Cyai" (sorry about the spelling) and I advise that anyone and everyone visiting Alanya should visit this place. It is a restaurant situated on the river, so while you watch the river gently flow past you, you can endulge in a lovely meal at the same time. There were many other excursions to choose from which we would have been on given the chance, but we were only in Alanya for one week and there simply wasn't enough time.

If you want to look around yourself, then taking a taxi is your best bet. As a woman I did not feel any kind of intimidation driving with a Turkish taxi man, but BE AWARE you need to AGREE the price of the taxi ride first and don't be afraid to barter the price (which you do a lot of in Turkey).

The people of Alanya are very friendly, sometimes TOO friendly, especially the waiters. Be strongly aware of young teenage girls (especially if they look older) because they might just get a few prepositions from men they do not know. But do not let this be a put-off, its just a case of being weary about it and ignoring it.

On the whole, the holiday was fantastic, and we would DEFINETELY go back to this hotel again purely because of all the friends we made. As for Alanya, it is a wonderful place for everyone and very much a place worth visiting."

• Travel date: Wed 23rd of August 2006

Cheap and cheerful

Reviewed Sat 17th of November 2012

"I think some of the reviews of this hotel on the site are way too harsh. I agree it isn't the Ritz but at £1500 for a family of four for a fortnight in the middle of August what do you expect?

The hotel was spotlessly clean, towels and linen changed regularly etc. I would definitely book an apartment and self cater/eat out. The buffet looked the same every night and there are so many fantastic cheap restaurants in Alanya. Ferrys was a good Tex-Mex spot on the main road into Alanya on the right. Green Beach just across the road was excellent if a little more expensive.

The hotel reception and helath spa staff were friendly and helpful - and contrary to other reports they all spoke pretty decent English. Better than my Turkish anyway...

Yes it is on a very busy main road - but its only 2 minutes from the beach and fantastically situated for places to eat etc. The beach itself is excellent - albeit busy.

As for previous reviewers who have said the hotel is unsuitable for English travellers, I would strongly disagree. If you want a hotel packed full of English holidaymakers with bacon and eggs for breakfast and Coronation Street on the TV, try Benidorm, The Alaiye had a nice mix of English, German and Dutch guests. Some families, some younger groups - but it certainly wasn' t rowdy.

The pool was excellent and there was some welcome shade around the pool for those who wanted it (it was pushing 40 degrees some days).

Alanya itself is very big and very busy. Don't expect a quiet, quaint fishing town type resort. It is highly commercialised, but then again you are never short of something to do.

Good trips included the water park (for the kids) which is a 5 minute walk from the hotel - a bit pricey so make sure you get there for the full day, and beware they don't let you take any of your own food or drink in. The ubiquitous boat trip was good value though the 10 metre rock diving is not for the faint hearted. Also the Jeep Safari was a good laugh but beware you will get very wet. Book at one of the many tour operators around town - there is one next door to the hotel."

• Travel date: Mon 21st of August 2006