we loved it

Reviewed Wed 31st of October 2012

"we booked through hotelpronto.com and got hotel a LOT cheaper than their own web prices. it's classed as a 3* hotel that puts most 4* Hotels to shame,we tend to agree to a point tho pictures of the room on hotels own website DIDNT match the rooms we got!!! these were very 70's in decor,but DIDNT smell of stale smoke. downstairs in the hotel was a different story, beautifully decorated(and the xmas decor was lovely) very large dining room,smaller dining room in conservatory area,sitting area were guests can enjoy a coffee or something stronger from the hotel bar which ran off the sitting area(also v.tastefully decorated).The staff were VERY friendly,and one in particular who seemed to be ALWAYS on duty,was fantastic,the menu was different,NO RUBBISH FOOD!! ie.chips burgers,etc. it served up simple HEALHTY food,in a 4 course menu,and im in no way a health freak,the views were amazing and the NEW YEAR GALA DINNER+ENTERTAINMENT was well organised,also the tradional cow bell ringers made a few appearances over the new year into the hotel.the owners have just taken over the running of the hotel and have re-furbished downstairs,obviously they havn't had the chance to re-furbish ALL the rooms yet.THIS WAS THE ONLY BAD THING ABOUT THE BEAU-SITE"

• Travel date: Wed 4th of January 2006

Mixed feelings, but great service

Reviewed Thu 11th of October 2012

"Stayed in this hotel in Oct. 05 as our original hotel was flooded out. The staff were great, could not have been more helpful. The views... totally breathtaking, could have stayed looking from hotel window for the whole of our ten day stay!

The room was a bit on the small side, and stank of smoke. The bathroom was tiny, but it was very well cleaned every day.

However, the staff were very friendly and could not have been more helpful.

Breakfast was great. Evening meals were ok but not good if you only want plain simple cooking. However, having said that, they were willingly cooked my husband omelettes as he cannot eat spicy food due to his condition.

Pretty good for a two star hotel."

• Travel date: Wed 28th of December 2005

Very unpleasant experience, very strange room pricing

Reviewed Mon 24th of December 2012

"While in switzerland, we had to change our itinerary on the fly in order to avoid bad weather in the Alps. Called ahead to find available hotels in the Interlaken, and Beausite was one hotel with two rooms available (there were four of us, two couples). We were quoted two prices, one for a cheaper smaller room and one more expensive larger room and reserved them.
Upon arrival, the hotel looked pleasant and nice, the only noticable problem for my wife and myself was a strong smell of stale smoke in the lobby, but hey, it was Europe :) We got the keys and by luck of the draw the smaller room went to us and larger - to our friends. We entered the room and almost could not breathe because of the smell of the stale smoke in the room (I don't know how else to describe it, a horrible smell). We also could not find a light switch by the entrance - that's because there wasn't one, it was on the opposite wall. Yes, you would have to travel across the room to turn the lights on. Luckily, the room was so small, it was not a long trip. Some of the lights did not work, but I guess it could happen anywhere. The bathroom was inside, but no shower, and the actual sink was outside, right in the room itself. considering the size of the room, the sink was right by the bed (I guess some may find that convenient). The room did have a small balcony, though, and the view of the Alps was great.
I went down to the manager of the hotel and asked for another room, the one hopefully not so smelly. He gave me the key and Iwent to check another room, exactly the same in size and layout, which smelled just as bad. I went back to the manager and asked for a non-smoking room, at which time I found out that we were in an all-smoking hotel, which probably had never been aired out for the last fifty years or so. Our friends' room was larger and cleaner, but smelled just as bad. Unlike the smaller rooms, though, they had a large window right by the bed, in if kept open all the time, could make the room tolerable. We decided to change hotels and went to the Goldey hotel (see my review for that one). Our friends stayed, and at the check-out time the hotel manager told them that the price quoted per room was on a per-person basis, literally doubling the room cost. Per person clause was never mentioned neither on the phone, nor at the time of check-in. All conversations we had at the check-in time we on a price-per room basis. The manager claimed that it was implied, I believe he was taking us for a ride. After about 40 min of arguing, the manager playin the part of an insulted honest businessman, and throwing numbers at each other, an agreement had been reached to pay a full quoted price for one person and half-price for another person. The manager acted like he did us all the greates favor our lives. But I guess my friends should feel lucky they actually had a bathroom in the room, we met a couple at that hotel who had to share a hallway bathroom / shower with other guests, so I guess not all the rooms in that hotel are so luxurious. Very unpleasant experience."

• Travel date: Sat 3rd of December 2005

Great Value!

Reviewed Sat 22nd of December 2012

"We just spent a week and a half in Switzerland and while in Interlaken stayed at the Hotel Beausite. We knew when we booked this hotel that it wasn't going to knock us off our feet, but intentionally chose it because of the positive reviews (one from a friend) and the good value. Overall, the hotel is nice, the staff is extremely friendly, and the rooms are clean. Our room wasn't especially big, but again, we weren't expecting it to be. If you are looking for a quaint, clean, affordable, centrally located hotel with outstanding service - this is it! By the way, their breakfast was better than most of the 4-star hotels we stayed at during the rest of our trip. We didn't have dinner at the hotel, but did stop in for after-dinner drinks and the meals looked wonderful. We will definitely stay here again the next time we are in Interlaken!"

• Travel date: Wed 2nd of November 2005

Clean, simple, good

Reviewed Sat 22nd of December 2012

"Made very welcome by all staff. They're working hard but paid attention to us on a personal level.

Room clean and simple, Good view. Worth noting that the rooms were quiet; very little noise from other guests and nearby road. No air-con but windows open wide and still no real noise problem. We slept well every night.

Food very good. Menu simple but varied. Service at table generally very good but suffers a bit when they get busy. No real "bar area" but good lounge and covered area out front; we were always given quick service outside meal times.

Close enough to train and bus station (5 minute walk on flat) but take it easy as there's quite a few roads to cross (nothing hard, just busy!). Check out that bakers on the corner, good for coffee and buns.

There's a handy plane check-in service at the local train station; they'll take your luggage and give you a seat reservation. We got there too late to use it on the way back (got to be there by 09:30 for 17:00 flight).

Buses very useful; use the #5 to save going to I.Ost then down to Wilderswil. Saves 30 minutes+ over train.

If you're using the train, try the ICE at least once; it goes to Germany but stops at 2 local towns. Very nice. All Swiss trains a near spotless but this is something to behold. Try walking through 1st class; I think you'll be impressed.

We used the hotel for a train-based holiday and managed to visit Zermatt, Schilthorn, Jungfraujoch etc setting off at 09:30 and back for 18:30 with just time for a quick bath before evening meal at 19:00. No problems.

We enjoyed ourselves a lot and would return."

• Travel date: Sun 5th of June 2005

Nice place

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"We just returned from a trip to Switzerland. We began and ended the stay at the Beau Site in Interlaken. The hotel staff is very nice and accommodating. The breakfast, especially the Sunday brunch, is terrific. It included several kinds of fresh jelly and also fresh alpine butter. There are two very different types of room. Our first night was in a very small room that had not been updated. Nice, but nothing fancy. On our second night, at the conclusion of our vacation, we were put in a huge recently remodeled room. The bathroom fixtures were nicer than in my own house. These rooms also have beautiful views of the Jungfrau (people on the street would stop and take victures of this view). It was a little noisy because of street traffic, but I really enjoyed the stay."

• Travel date: Sat 25th of September 2004

school hols

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"I stayed at the Beau - Site when I was 13yrs old on my school hols. It was a big adventure and I said I would always like to go back as I thought Switzerland was the most beautiful place on earth, I never managed to though. I am now a very young 52, just reminising. Great that it is still standing."

• Travel date: Thu 15th of July 2004

A hotel which makes an effort

Reviewed Wed 5th of December 2012

"We were very impressed with the Beau Site. The owners, reception staff and restaurant waiters were all extremely friendly, and made a big effort to make us feel at home. The room was comfortable (I'd recommend upgrading to a Category A room), and had a fantastic view of the Jungfrau. Guests on halfboard get free coffee and cakes in the afternoon, and on Sundays there is a buffet brunch breakfast. The food was good, as good as some more expensive hotels in Interlaken. In short, we felt that this hotel tried a lot harder than most other Interlaken hotels (which seem to take your custom for granted), and so provided very good value for money."

• Travel date: Tue 24th of February 2004

Great hotel with a wunderbar view!!

Reviewed Wed 5th of December 2012

"We have stayed many times at this great hotel. The Ritter family has owned it for many years and do an incredible job to make your stay very enjoyable. My wife broke her leg while bicycling and was in the hospital in Interlaken for a week thus extending my stay at the Beau-Site and the Ritter's couldn't have been nicer. The hotel has several classes of rooms and the ones with the Jungfrau views are the best. It can be a little noisy in August (street noise) but a room of the street side mitigates that. The breakfast that is included is among the best we've had anywhere in Europe. You won't be disappointed if you stay at this hotel!"

• Travel date: Sat 18th of October 2003