Aussenansicht

Great Hotel

Reviewed 8th October 2012

"This was a very nice choice!! We stayed in Hotel Gletschergarten for two days in may 07. After a long drive (9 hours), we got there about 9 pm. The couple who runs the place greetted us with warm welcome and she even showed us two different rooms for us to choose. The room was larger than we expected and it was clean. They were very helpful and spoke English well. If you ask one thing, they will give you two! Our room had the amazing view of the Eiger mountain, and all room has the great balcony. They serve 4 course dinner for a reseaonable price, it was very good. I would stay here again!"

• Travel date: 6th June 2007

Swiss Hospitality

Reviewed 14th December 2012

"We recently visited Grindelwald for a brief four day holiday after attending a conference in Germany. We chose Grindelwald due to its easy access via rail - which was especially helpful on our early morning departure for the return trip back home. After reviewing numerous postings in TripAdvisor and on the Internet we chose the Hotel Gletschergarten. Grindelwald itself is a fairly small village but has everything a visitor would need: shops, fine restaurants and a wide variety of accommodations. We wanted to experience the charm of a smaller hotel away from the centre of activity. Located only a kilometre up the hill from the train station the Gletschergarten was the perfect choice! We traveled to Grindelwald via train; no need for a car for a holiday here. Upon arrival at the terminus of the BOB Grindelwald branch we rang the hotel on our cell phone and were picked up just moments after hanging up the phone; no worries regarding walking anywhere with your bags. The rest of the time we enjoyed the refreshing leisurely stroll to/from the hotel especially after an evening out in the town centre. The hotel is most certainly warm and comfortable. Walking about the halls and common area you were treated to numerous pictures and historical items from the area - almost like a museum. In addition to the check-in area the ground floor has a small bar, sitting room with television and computer and dining area. I was surprised to learn that the Gletschergarten is a century old; we found it as clean and up-to-date as any facility would be today. When we made our reservation we were offered a choice of room rates and for a little bit more we reserved an upgraded room which was well worth it! Around the perimeter of the hotel is a balcony that is accessible directly from your room. Needless to say - the views are spectacular and neither my photographs or those on the hotel's web site can compare to being there. One of the benefits of being a little bit away from the centre of town is that you can sit outside on the balcony or sleep with the windows open and enjoy the fresh mountain air without the noise or activity that is prevalent in the town's centre. The Gletschergarten also serves dinner and we enjoyed a decent meal along with a bottle of wine one evening during our trip. The presentation, quality and quantity of the food was just right. Breakfast is also served in their dining area - each morning you'll find a table with your room number set for you. There is Internet access here. If you bring your own computer there's a WiFi wireless access point in the common area. I found it didn't reach to my room so I used my notebook in the TV room. If you don't bring your own computer there is one available for your use albeit it requires CHF coins to gain access. (There is also an additional pay-for-use Internet computer in the sports facility and information office in the town centre.) I have saved the best in this review for last: their hospitality. Although this has also been mentioned in other reviews I would be remiss for not mentioning it here. The Gletschergarten is a multi-generation family run business who takes pride in what they can offer. Not only were they attentive to all of our needs and requests - they were a pleasure to chat with as well! (If my memory is right in addition to German they were fluent in English, French and other languages too!) If you are planning on a stay in the Bernese Oberland I would highly recommend consideration of the Hotel Gletschergarten - if the opportunity permits we'd most certainly return here again!"

• Travel date: 16th September 2006

Top notch

Reviewed 25th December 2012

"We spent four lovely days in this ideally situated, family-run inn. Very attentive service, great views of the Eiger and some very nice meals in the dining room for 38 SF per person. You won't be sorry you splurged a little on this place."

• Travel date: 26th August 2006

Charming Hotel

Reviewed 14th December 2012

"As others have noted, this is a charming hotel. Probably the most "Swiss" hotel that we stayed at during our tour. We were there the nights of June 24 and 25. The guestrooms and bathrooms are small, but this was expected. It's located at the end of the main street in Grindelwald, but only about a 20-minute walk from the train station. There is a small grocery store/bakery right across the street where you can buy food/beverage items for your hikes. There is a coin washer and dryer in the basement. The family that owns and operates the hotel made our extended family of 15 persons and 7 guest rooms feel right at home. They prepared a dinner for 17 of us (15 family, our driver and tour guide) which was excellent. We had so much fun and quality time at this hotel. We'd stay there again, but I think we'd check the price and trip advisor reviews for the Hotel Regina because of it's central location and charming exterior appearance."

• Travel date: 2nd July 2006

Good hotel

Reviewed 26th October 2012

"We stayed for 4 nights in September, 2005, having stayed in other towns in the region twice before. The hotel is a kilometer from the train station - we learned we could have been picked up if we had called the hotel. They did give us a ride to the train station with our luggage at the end of our stay. On other days when we were hiking, we walked there. The view from the hotel is stunning - a real postcard (in fact, it is featured on postcards you can buy in the town). Our room was a quiet double room with a view in the opposite direction from the Eiger. We enjoyed the balcony each afternoon after a good hike in the surrounding region. The plumbing worked well and the bedding was good. I was able to use my wireless laptop in my room to access the internet (for free), although I suspect this was not an offered service but rather an unsecured hotspot. The internet terminal in the lobby is quite expensive to use. While there is a laundry in the basement, you may have to wait in line to use it as there is only one washer and one dryer, and they lock them up at night. We did not eat at the hotel. We had great access to all of the shops and restaurants in Grindelwald. It was a real joy to stay in Grindelwald. Previously we had spent a week in Murren. I would be happy to return to the Hotel Gletschergarten again and again."

• Travel date: 14th January 2006

Nice mountain lodge !!

Reviewed 20th December 2012

"We stayed here three nights in September. When we checked in the first day, it was rainy and foggy. When we awoke the next morning, we were BLOWN AWAY by the incredible views of the Eiger and other snowcapped mountains outside our window - my pictures cannot do it justice!! As everyone has already pointed out, the hospitality of the family that runs it cannot be beat - such nice, helpful people! They happily helped us with everything from the internet, to choosing the best hikes and train schedules. The hotel itself is a quaint old mountain lodge, decorated with many interesting older pieces and great common areas including an outdoor terrace, lving room with fireplace and game room downstairs. The rooms are very clean, each with terrace, but a little dated and small (I think we would opt to pay a little more for a larger room next time). It is located towards the end of the village, but just a short walk to the center of town. The proprietors are happy to pick you up and drop you off at the station. (You can call them from a central information board in town.) Its a great spot to relax and do some exploring of the area. I highly recommend taking the tram up to First and doing the hike to Lake Bachalpsee, then Faulhorn - more AMAZING views."

• Travel date: 17th November 2005

You couldn't get better

Reviewed 23rd October 2012

"We spent four glorious nights at this beautiful hotel. Could have stayed forever. Comfortable clean rooms with magnificent views of the Eiger and other mountains. Large terrace. Family run by the most friendly, helpful people you could ever wish for. Delicious four course evening meals ( set menu). Comfortable lounges, billiard room and table tennis. Washing machine and dryer. Quiet but central. Great for our 2 children( 13 and 11). Can't wait to return!"

• Travel date: 17th October 2005

Terrific family-run small hotel

Reviewed 21st November 2012

"I've submitted maybe ten reviews to TripAdvisor over the last couple of years, and I don't think I've given 5 stars to a hotel before now. But the Gletschergarten was really great. It's in a good location, near the edge of the village but still only a few minutes' walk to the restaurants, shops and cable car stations. The interior is all wood beams and wildlife pictures, just the kind of thing you'd expect in a mountain lodge. The view from the balcony is beautiful -- just the place to sit in the evening with a glass of local wine. Breakfast (included) is not lavish but is tasty. Most importantly, the owners couldn't be friendlier and more responsive: for example, each morning when we came down to breakfast they already had a table set up for us, including a special place-setting (high chair, kids' bowls and utensils, etc.) for our youngest child. If/when we return to Grindelwald, we wouldn't stay anywhere else."

• Travel date: 14th October 2004

Best Small Hotel in Switzerland

Reviewed 21st November 2012

"This charming, family-owned, historic hotel was the best that we experienced in Switzerland! It is beautifully furnished and maintained with loving care by the outstanding family that owns it. You can easilly walk to restaurants, shops, and the gondolas and lifts, but the best thing is the awesome view of the Eiger and the glacier from the porch outside the rooms. After a day exploring the magnificent mountains, to sit there with a glass of wine, some cheese, and a pair of binoculars...well it's as close to Heaven as I can imagine!"

• Travel date: 12th August 2004

100 year olf family run hotel!

Reviewed 20th December 2012

"I stayed at Hotel Gletschergarten with my girlfriend in early August of 2002. This grand old hotel - 100 years old but nice and kept up- was truely magnificent. I had one of the larger rooms with a balcony offering a mountain view. The room was clean, spacious, and comfortable. Very quiet, good sleeping. Comfortable bed - but not a queen, although king sized it was divided in the middle. Strange. Laudry facilities were in the basement. The owners, husband & wife and son-in-law, were very friendly and helpful. The hotel, like I said, was large, clean, nice - magnificent, - with flowers decorating its exterior! The breakfeast was nice, the dinning area really nice with a picture window looking out at the mountains and up at the glacier. We would sit on the front porch at night and the son-in-law would bring us drinks. I liked that the hotel was a walk up Grindlewald's only road, near its end, just past the old church, across from the big cable car that goes up to the trail leading to the glacier. It was nice and quiet, away from the congestion and noise in the town - which was only a 5 - 10 minute walk down the hill. Everything was nearby. Cable cars for hikes, restaurants, etc. I will return to this magnificent hotel when I return to Switzerland."

• Travel date: 20th January 2004