Hotel Las Arenas Balneario Resort

Good

Lots of good things but not perfect

Reviewed Mon 10th of December 2012

"Just spent three nights here and would echo much of what has already been written. Large modern hotel, some very friendly staff and ideal for the Americas Cup. Get a seaview room otherwise you will be looking out on derelict buildings. Much more a conference hotel (there was a BMW conference taking place whilst I was there) rather than a family hotel. Would n't necessary recommend this for people with small children as it could probably be a bit stuffy. Negatives were no direct access to the beach behind the hotel which was strange. Probably for security reasons but I am sure they could overcome this if they wished. Most disappointingly was the fact the swimming pool (which looked lovely) was still not open despite it being a weekend, with weather in the high 70's and the hotel being very busy. Other things to be aware of:

1) Free non alcholic mini bar in your room.
2) No ironing boards allowed in the room.
3) Each floor has a nice little reading area with complementary coffee and water.
4) There is a very small indoor pool in the health club but swimming hats are compulsory as is footwear when you are poolside.

Hope this helps !"

• Travel date: Tue 13th of March 2007

Nice, but not 5 star

Reviewed Mon 10th of December 2012

"We stayed at the hotel at the beginning of Dec. While we give the hotel 3 stars only, it does have some plus points. It is on the ocean, however, there is no direct access to the beach. You have to go around the side of the hotel. If you are going for the America's Cup, the location cant' be beat.
The physical plant of the hotel--buildings, decor, etc. are very nice and certainly up to the better modern standards.
The restaurant is also very nice, but limited in menu.
Why only 3 stars? First, the hotel is somewhat isolated. Yes, there is public tram to various downtown locations, but otherwise, you are quite a ways from things except the America's Cup. Across the street, there are many run down buildings. Nearby, there are many not good condition buildings. This also isolates you in regard to food. Other than the restaurant in the hotel, there isn't anything around. Second, the rooms, while in very good condition and decorated nicely, are very small. Maybe 250 sq. meters. Third, the service is only good. Not anything special and certainly not compared to any Four Seasons or other 5 star hotel. Also, I left a pair of pants in the closet of the hotel, and called about an hour after we checked out to inform them. Nowhere to be found. I will leave it up to you to draw any conclusion. Management was not helpful at all in this regard. They just did not care.
Both my wife and I agree that, even without the pants incident, we would not return to the hotel."

• Travel date: Sun 11th of February 2007

Beautiful Junior Suite

Reviewed Sun 16th of December 2012

"The Junior Suite was absolutely stunning and beautiful. The view from the balcony was amazing too. Also had a jacuzzi in the junior suite. The staff were friendly and helpful. Just a lovely suite - large flat screen TV in the lounge and bedroom. And, you get a complimentary free bar. Would definitely stay again!"

• Travel date: Thu 11th of January 2007

Very Impressed

Reviewed Mon 17th of December 2012

"I am from California, and I stayed here around Christmas and had a great time. The hotel is really word-class. The staff are very friendly, and the room was beautiful. I travel alot - I work for an international company and have visited Europe more than 30 times, staying in a variety of hotels in the UK, France, Germany and Italy. This is the best hotel I have ever stayed at in Europe. Our favorite features:
- unlike many European hotels, the bed was a true queen-size, rather than the full-size bed you often get in a European hotel.
- bed linens were excellent - makes a real difference when you are suffering jetlag!
- the room was very large by European standards, with a nice hardwood floor and tons of storage space.
- the concierge was funny and went out of his way to make sure we were having a good time.
- the towels in the bathroom are huge and thick.
- our tiled balcony overlooking the beach was very large and quite private, shielded from view on either side.
- free wireless access!

For those of you from the west coast of the United States, I would liken this hotel to Shutters on the beach in Santa Monica (similar beach location, better rooms), with some elements of the Four Seasons thrown in . The hotel is spotless, and the restaurant serves very good food. The breakfast buffet is pretty astonishing - at 18 Euros, we thought it was a bit expensive until we saw the variety. We didn't even need to eat lunch, as breakfast was so sumptuous. Cakes, pastries, meats, fish, grilled vegetables, yogurt, cereal, fresh juices, champagne, eggs, sausages. We also ate dinner in the restaurant and had a very good tomato salad, paella, and a reasonably-priced bottle of good wine. Again, the service was excellent.

We intended to visit Valencia and do some sight-seeing, but we were so happy at the hotel, we just walked on the beach and spent our time lounging on the patio. It was late December but the sun was shining brightly and the temperature was warm enough to sit outside with a light sweater. (We had to laugh because the Spaniards we saw on the beach were mostly bundled up in ski jackets as if it were cold enough to snow, though it was at least 65 degrees in the sun!)

Lastly, I appreciated that the hotel seems to really care whether their guests are happy, and the staff we met seem excited to be undertaking the opening of a great new hotel. That in itself made us happy to give them our business.

All in all, the hotel is a great find and I highly recommend it as a vacation destination."

• Travel date: Wed 27th of December 2006

good but not great

Reviewed Fri 14th of December 2012

"Stayed here for three nights in november. The hotel is good quality and the staff are very helpful. It is a taxi ride into the attractions of valencia, depending on the time of day, costs between €5-€10. Rooms are very commfortable. Disappointed that not all the facilities are open, for instance no pool. Location of the hotel is right on the beach and there are a number of places to eat within walking distance of hotel"

• Travel date: Mon 20th of November 2006

Mediocre for a 5*

Reviewed Thu 13th of December 2012

"I joined my husband who was on business at the hotel on Thursday and spent three nights there. Hotel is beautifully located for the beach and views from sea view rooms are gorgeous. You need to take taxi anywhere else i.e. old town and any tourist attractions. Staff are very friendly especially concierge. Rooms are comfortable but wouldn't say 5* quality. Minibar is stocked with bare minimum i.e. water and coke. TV is plasma but doesn't move around so can only be watched in bed. Bathroom suite was not fully porcelain...shower is plastic..again not a problem but not 5*. Room service....well attempting to explain your order is the first hurdle. I speak 5 languages and unfortunately Spanish is not one of them although I do understand some and try and speak a little. However again for a 5* star hotel which is sitting next to the port hosting the 32nd America's Cup one would expect that the staff have a good command of English. I ordered breakfast one day: Cafe Latte, natural yoghurt and a bread basket (all on the menu). I got: Cafe Latte, an actimel drink (!) and one piece of soggy white toast. Naturally I called down and they immediately brought up some croissants but did explain that they only have liquid yoghurt. Next morning I tried the buffet downstairs and it was amazing....yoghurts in abundance any flavour, any consistency! Room service in the evening was again frustrating which I won't repeat. Hotel has only one restaurant which is Spanish food. Again for a 5* hotel I would expect more choice...at least have the one restaurant serving international and spanish cuisine! Especially since on the hotel's doorstep are an abundance of Spanish restaurants serving the exact menu at half the price. On the positive side, breakfast is amazing, the pools will be. They are not yet built so don't go expecting to do any pool laps!! like I did... I am sure the hotel is going through some teething problems and those take a while to get resolved. I am a very discerning traveller...I travel frequently and have been around the world virtually and as lovely as the hotel is it is not in my opinion of 5* quality."

• Travel date: Mon 13th of November 2006

Paradise

Reviewed Sun 16th of December 2012

"Maybe the 'Grand Luxury' rating was invented to do justice to a place like the Las Arenas Balneario? I have no idea what the comments about inferior service on this site were about, because, during the week I was there, all the staff seemed to become my friends and there was no end to what they did for me.

In fact, after my flight got cancelled and I came back, they were still doing things for me, such as booking me a new plane ticket, event though at that point I was no longer a guest at the hotel!

It is different to most hotels in that it has a very sensual atmosphere. Right on the beach, set amongst acres of green space, it has fountains, plenty of trees and flowers, a huge pool tucked away round the corner, and naves running all along the beach-side of the hotel, where you can while away the hours in the shade, in some of the hugest and most comfortable couches you will ever lay on in your life, whilst feeling the breeze from the sea gently stroking your skin.

The rooms that do have sea view have enormous, and private, balconies. This means that you can live your life both inside and outside, privately.

It is paradise for recuperating, philosophising about life and obviously for a romantic occasion.

As I wrote on the feedback card in reply to the question "In your view, what is the worst feature of the hotel?":

"Leaving!""

• Travel date: Tue 17th of October 2006

Pretty impressive - deserves 5 star status

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"Stayed at hotel with my husband first week of September. Very much agree with most recent posts that the hotel is now up to 5 star status. We had booked via the hotel website which I had found to offer the best rates. Breakfast not included in nightly rate. Booked superior room with seaview as previously recommended on TA and very good decision. Room and bathroom immaculate . American kingsized bed was exceptionally comfortable and we found the room very quiet indeed even for last two days and nights when large conference party from Mastercard were staying at hotel. Bed and bathroom linen of very good quality.

Rooms serviced and (free) soft drinks in fridge replenished twice daily - more so if requested. Unlike earlier post, our room was always fully serviced by mid-morning. Air conditioning most effective and amazingly quiet - this was most appreciated as nights were pretty warm.

Breakfast charged at 18 euro per person plus tax but most impressive buffet - even Moet - if you should so wish! Breakfast served through 11am and a very relaxed affair.

Reiterate comments about lack of sun loungers by the pool area but we were told by reception staff that they were very aware of this and more had been ordered. The whole management of the pool area needs tightening up - the high housekeeping standards of the bedrooms not reflected in the pool area - very little attempt made by staff to clear away discarded towels or tidy sun beds or clear used glasses etc. Pool bar area very disappointing and expensive. A sandwich costing 14 euros was not even to motorway service area standards - but this is a small gripe on other excellent facilities throughout rest of hotel.

There is a door out to the beach area behind the lower pool area accessed with room card key so early morning sea swimming very easy and sea just amazingly warm.

Took two dinners at the hotel - food very good but expensive compared with restaurant outside hotel and service still a problem - slow and wrong starter brought.

Would definitely recommend La Pepica - See [--] and also restaurant of Neptuno Hotel ( not to be confused by Restaurant Neptune alongside hotel).

America's cup area of great interest.

Taxi from airport - around 27 euros and taxis around city very reasonable. 10 euros from hotel to centre.

Modern architecture of new opera house, science museum fantastic but Opera house not open for visits til October. Walk along gardens of old Turia riverbed very impressive.

Despite niggles above about the hotel - feel very confident that management will get on top of these very soon. Recommend hotel most highly"

• Travel date: Mon 11th of September 2006