Hotel Goya

Calle Mateos Gago 31, 41004 Seville Spain

Great place to stay!

"We spent one night here in July 2005. We paid 40 euros for a room with a shower and sink (the toilet was a few doors down). The place was new looking, spotless and centrally located and the desk staff was extremely friendly and helpful with giving us directions etc. My husband forgot his passport in the room and several days later (when we were several hundred kilometers away) we realized it was missing and called and they had been holding it at the desk and they were nice enough to send it to us where we were via urgent mail! I don't know many people/hotels who would go out of their way to help someone like this. I highly recommend a stay here."

• Travel date: Sun 7th of August 2005

cute and clean, but pricey and noisy

"This was a nice little hotel with an outstanding location (right in the Santa Cruz neighborhood just up the street from the Giralda tower!) but it's not a great value (about 70 euro/night). Then again, it's tough to find inexpensive accomodation in the heart of Sevilla. The hotel has a pretty interior courtyard that is lovely to look at, but amplifies every little sound in the place, making it a little noisy. The walls and windows do little to block out noise. Our room was a little too small, but very clean and cute. I'm not sure I would recommend the place (because of the price and the noise level) if it weren't so well located. It's a very short walk from a lot of the big attractions, nice restaurants, shops, and the bus station. If you're on a budget, look north of the santa cruz area, but if you're looking for a good location, it's worth considering this place."

• Travel date: Sat 28th of May 2005

Awful!

"We stayed at Hostal Goya for one night. Thank goodness. We made the mistake of not previewing our room before accepting. If you stay here, you MUST do this! Apparently some people had good experiences here, but I can't imagine how anyone could staying in our room. We were on the third floor (no elevator but we were prepared for this and we always use backpacks). There were no rooms left with a bathroom and so we were stuck using a bathroom in the hall. It was very far away from our room on the opposite side of the hostal. On the plus side, everything was spotlessly clean. The bathrooms (I visited both the 2nd and 3rd floor) were huge, new, and once again, very clean. However, our room was horrible. We had two small twin beds separated from each other by several feet and bolted to the wall so we could not move them together. We had one tiny window no bigger than a foot across which looked out to the hallway. There was one dim light for the entire room. However, there was air conditioning, which was welcome. However, I would rather have a large open window with a little sunshine over air conditioning any day. There was also no phone or tv. Normally this would be fine, but as the room was so ugly, dark, and depressing, a tv would have been nice just so you wouldn't have to stare at four blank walls. Plus it would have lit up the room a little. It really felt like a prison. We did have a tiny shower and sink in our room, which was nice, but since there's no toilet it was pointless because you'll have to go down the hall anyway. And the big bathrooms are much more comfortable than a tiny sink and super tiny shower.
When we first arrived in the room, we were talking when someone from the neighboring room yelled from the hall for us to be quiet. So the rest of the time we were in the room, we were afraid to even speak in moderate tones because we did not want to disturb anyone.
The worst part of this experience was the cost. We had stayed in a place like this already in Sevilla on a previous trip (Hostal Lis II) with similar room quality, except we had a toilet in our room. That only costed us 42 euros for the night. Which is an acceptable price considering what you're getting and we paid it gladly. We paid 60 euros for the room above described at Hostal Goya. 60 euros. That is absolutely criminal to charge 60 euros for a tiny dark room with no bathroom and two separated, tiny beds. We've stayed in many other places in Spain where you can get a bathroom, balcony, and large double bed for this price.
However, I will mention that the neighborhood was ideal, and there were lots of restaurants and you are close to everything. If I am in Sevilla, I will stay in the Santa Cruz district. However, hotels and hostals abound here. Find one that does not overcharge!"

• Travel date: Fri 24th of September 2004

In the heart of a lively neighborhood

Good

"Centrally located a few blocks from the main Cathedral (morning church bells). Clean. Good value for price. Offers rooms with pvt. or shared bathrooms. We were on the 3rd floor (no elevator) w/balcony facing the street to witness one of the lively processions carrying the large statue of a saint (one of our highlights). The hostal is located near a tapas bar and Friday & Saturday night can be boisterous if you are a light sleeper or turn in before midnight (it's Spain after all). Interior rooms may be more sound-proof. Would definately stay there again. Upon request, the Front desk will give you a wake-up/knock on the door if needed for early morning departures (no phone or tv in the room--which for us was relaxing). Book advance reservations (took 2 days to respond by email, primarily Spanish-speaking), seems to fill fast as a place to stay in Sevilla. Not found on many hotel booking sites. Came as a recommendation by Hostal Amadeus which is popular and often full."

• Travel date: Fri 28th of May 2004

A great hostal at a good price

"Very well maintained and clean hostal, and very smartly priced. Rooms were large enough for the three of us comfortably. The rooms and bathrooms were very clean and all the fascilities looked pretty new, and the AC was a godsend. We were on the third floor, which other than the first day when we lugged the luggage up, was not a problem. The rooms are organized around an open-air courtyard with outdoor hallways, which gave it a true Spanish feel. The staff was very friendly. The location is also great-- in the old town among the narrow winding streets, less than 5 minutes from the cathedral and palace on foot, and pretty quiet (other than the occasional church bells). Lots of restaurants and shops in the area. I would definitely stay here again if I find myself in Seville again. Excellent value for the price."

• Travel date: Thu 15th of April 2004

Wonderful Hostal & its location!

Good

"We loved the location and being on the ground floor was a plus. Our rooms on the ground floor were picture perfect with bathroom and shower. Their was no TV or phone in our room. Their are rooms on second and I think the third but with no elevator. Their was a pay telephone near the front door where the check-in desk is. The Hostel is located on a narrow street. Plenty of places to eat and drink. Many ancient sites are a stone's throw. I loved the place its staff etc."

• Travel date: Mon 23rd of February 2004

Hotels near Hotel Goya

Stayed at Hotel Goya? Share your insight.

Hotel Goya is also called