Hotel Alfonso XIII, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Seville

2026
Good

Attractive 5* hotel located in a very be...

Reviewed Tue 12th of June 2007

"Attractive 5* hotel located in a very beautiful old building in the old area of Seville.

The hotel is very well located within walking distance of the major historic sights, but has the advantage of being just on the edge of the narrow streeted 'Old Town' area, so the hotel is very easy to find, and has very easy access by car, with on site 'valet' car parking and a dedicated taxi rank. Car parking costs 16.5 Euros a night, and a taxi to/from the airport should cost roughly 20 Euros.

The hotel is very beautiful inside, designed in the historic Moorish style, with a lovely open air court yard in the centre where they serve breakfast. We were disappointed with the size of our room, but it was well equipped, with a marble bathroom, quality bedding, well equipped bar, a large laptop sized safe, and pretty much anything you can think of available from housekeeping on request.

Everything was spotless and room service did a 'turn down' service in the evening with chocolates on the pillow etc. The doors to the small balcony were double glazed and there was an electric shutter blind on the outside so noise from traffic was not a problem.

Wifi costs were quite reasonable at 3euro per hour, or 15euro per day. The wifi stopped working one night, but the hotel gave us the remains of the next day for free as compensation. There is also an internet terminal available for free in the foyer to residents.

The hotel has a very good value Japanese restaurant in the grounds, a pool, and a very trendy modern outdoor 'Martini' bar attached to the side of the hotel which is accessible by the public.

Overall we were very pleased with our choice for Seville, and would definitely come back here if we could get a reasonable room rate again."

• Travel date: Tue 12th of June 2007

A pleasant stay

Reviewed Wed 28th of November 2012

"Stayed for 3 nights in early Sep 05. My room was carpeted (see below posts) but slightly bare. I found the service to be ok, but a touch stuffy. However, after many years staying in these types of places I now expect this at old 5 star hotels and either remind staff I'm the customer or simply 'grease their palms'. Either technique works pretty well. Breakfast is excellent, the pool is superb, the location fantastic and Seville is so romantic. If you've not been before - go!"

• Travel date: Tue 6th of September 2005

Marbles everywhere

Reviewed Thu 27th of December 2012

"Managed to make a 'senior' discount booking which made staying much more affordable. Firstly, I think it is rather silly not to have road signs showing where the hotel is. All other major (and not so major) hotels in Seville city have them. As we were driving into Seville from the south, along Avda Palmera, we saw plenty of hotel signs. But apparently the Alfonso believes that it's better to be 'discrete'. Once at the hotel, the car and bags were handled very efficiently. The check-in was polite and quick and we were taken up to our room on the top floor (3rd). A lobby with wardrobe and minibar etc led to a bathroom on the right and a bedroom on the left. There is marble everywhere. No sign of carpets. The bedroom was lovely and we were able to look out the window down to the central courtyard where tables are laid during the summer months. Could have stayed in the room all the time but sightseeing is essential ! A carriage ride was chosen outside the hotel. The best carriage and fittest horse chosen for a 40 minute round tour of the city main sites. A great idea when it's too hot for walking ! And you get a good idea of the main sights quickly.
Evening meal was excellent but because it was August the number of diners was very limited. A set menu at Euros 30 was good with a delicious Andalucian soup (like gazpacho but what was the name of it ...) and a choice of pork of fish casserole, followed by fruit salad and coffee. Just ideal for a summer's evening. The waiter was very attentive and fun. Not at all stuffy. An after dinner drink in the cosy bar at the front of the hotel was pleasant with a friendly barman. A great place to stay for a special occasion and would have loved to stay longer but August is not the best time to see the sights. It was 40 degrees. Oh - and the hotel pool is good for a quick dip ! Charming classical hotel with plenty of superb decorations that would cost a fortune at today's prices .."

• Travel date: Tue 30th of August 2005

Beautiful hotel lots of surrounding construction

Reviewed Wed 28th of November 2012

"We stayed here a few weeks ago. The hotel is beautiful both the public rooms and the guest rooms were knock-outs. The concierge desk seemed a little bit indifferent (they reminded me of the concierge at the Westin Europa Regina in Venice, another Starwood property). Starwood really has to staff these potistions with some younger energetic people instead of the middle-aged and older snooty men, that seem to run their front desk operations. A simple question or two seemed to really put them out. Also, lots of construction going on around this hotel with many blocked off streets. Now in Seville, every major hotel and many not so major hotels have numerous signs posted on corners indicating the direction of the hotel. Not so the Alfonso. In fact, according to the hotel, it is the only hotel in Seville not having a directional signpost. They seemed to think this is something to be proud of. Call me stupid, but if I were in the hotel business I would want to make it easy to find the hotel. The hotel is indeed centrally located, but due to the construction, in fact the street that the hotel is on, is all blocked off due to construction, and the lack of any sign posts in the city, the hotel was very hard to find. The hotel is quite beautiful and I would definately stay here again. In the summer the place was empty so I'm sure one can get a great promo rate."

• Travel date: Mon 15th of August 2005

Now this is Spain

Reviewed Thu 27th of December 2012

"My favorite hotel in Spain. With all the Starbucks and Planet Hollywood locations in Spain I really wanted to GET AWAY from America.
This Hotel had it all. Beautiful spanish decor, excellent spanish food, and was centrally located to everything in Seville.
Being a Starwood Hotel made a difference having stayed in many european hotels, this room had all the ammenities including a great shower with a full shower curtain and a blow dryer.
The restaurant was excellent as well as the free breakfast we enjoyed on our balcony overlooking the city. I will stay here every time I am in Seville."

• Travel date: Tue 9th of August 2005

Better than the rest but still overrated; Cold Service

Reviewed Mon 19th of November 2012

"I stayed in the Alfonso XIII in June of 2005 based on both recommendations of friends and family. Unfortunately, it did not come close to living up to the hype. Of course, as many say, the hotel located in a beautiful building. Sadly, the hotel's systemic customer service problems really detract from the experience. I experienced long (20+ minutes) checkin/checkout waits, as well as simply jaw-dropping disregard for the customers' satisfaction.

When my girlfriend and I checked in, the receptionist informed us that two ID's were required. My girlfriend had recently been robbed in Madrid, and was unable to furnish an ID. The receptionist acted as though he really did not care one bit--he simply shrugged his shoulders, implying "too bad, nothing I can do." He acted for a few minutes as if we had to leave because there was no way we could stay at the hotel. I told him we would have to figure something out because we were staying there regardless, and finally he gave her small form to fill out with basic info. While this may not sound that bad, I was blown away by his coldness and his obvious aversion to providing any assistance.

There were a few other small excusable problems that were quickly resovled. The concierge did though provide us with a great recommendation for a flamenco show called "Los Gallos". I would highly recommend it.

I sent a letter regarding the difficulties of my stay to the G.M. of the Alfonso, but he has not responded. Based on numerous similar complaints, I suspect this was not an isolated incident of poor service.

Regardless, it is doubtful there is a better choice in Sevilla. The location is phenomenal, and once again the building is excellent. Just don't expect a warm reception."

• Travel date: Mon 11th of July 2005

The Westin Sevilla, not without flaws

Reviewed Fri 28th of December 2012

"Being gold -members of Starwood we always try to stay in Hotels of their chain. The Westin in Sevilla is a beautiful elegant hotel in a perfect location for sightseing. We stayed there for 3 nights last September and thought also to take advantage of the pool - but what a disappointment. The pool area was not very inviting with a pool that seemed not too clean, full of leaves! Ordering a tapas selection at the bar, together with drinks, we had another disappointment....we were served after waiting considerable time, some thinly sliced white bread of the worst kind with some salmon on it. The room was large and elegantly furnished, as expected from a 5 star/hotel."

• Travel date: Sat 2nd of July 2005

Wonderful hotel - but we felt short changed!

Reviewed Wed 26th of December 2012

"I decided to select the Alfonso XIII from the many hotel choices in Seville as we were celebrating my partner's birthday and I wanted to make sure everything was special. It didn't start well - despite booking a deluxe double room 4 months in advance, we were asked to accept a twin room. However, after some protesting and a short delay a deluxe double was found. The Hotel is a wonderful (pricey) and very grand place to stay. Everything about the hotel is classy, the lobby and the bedrooms are quite splendid. Breakfast was good (although a buffet). Location superb - 3 mins walk from the Cathedral and the parks. The hotel boasts a pleasant swimming pool, very welcome in the sweltering heat, but it has a very limited pool service (fetch your own!), and is by a very busy road and therefore noisy. Despite the unquestionable grand splendour and style of the hotel, I felt it lacked something - the service left us feeling short changed, the staff make no effort to be friendly, they rarely smiled and this made what would have been a superb hotel, a little disappointing. Therefore, if I ever return to the beautiful City of Seville, I might not return to the Hotel Alfonso XIII."

• Travel date: Mon 23rd of May 2005

A Grande Dame

Reviewed Wed 26th of December 2012

"I all of my travels, I have never been so impressed with a hotel as the Alfonso XIII. Architecturally stunning, it evokes a visit to a private -- albeit luxurious -- home. That feeling is evident in the intimate public rooms which are magnificent with their moorish tiles and comfortable furnishings, all surrounding the central courtyard with its fountain. (The tiny antiquated elevator provides a similar feel.) Traveling alone, my room was one of the smallest hotel rooms I've stayed in, but it was an absolute jewelbox, with intricate carved moldings and cool marble floors, a perfect counterpoint to Seville's climate. The jewelbox theme carried into the well-appointed and modern bathroom. The breakfast buffet was most impressive, and one late-night meal was one of the best I had in Spain. Service was professional and discreet. (In checking out before dawn to catch an early flight, I inadvertently left behind a credit card at the front desk. I was pleasantly flabergasted when a courier hand-delivered it to me, along with a note of apology from the hotel, just minutes before boarding my plane.) The hotel is just steps away from some of Seville's most famous attractions (and tapas bars!) Though a bit pricey, the Alfonso XIII will long provide a memorable connection to Andalusia."

• Travel date: Sun 15th of May 2005

beautiful hotel, terrible rooms and terrible food

Reviewed Fri 28th of December 2012

"We stayed at the Hotel Alfonos XIII for the first time. We are regular guests of the Westin/Starwood group and have an idea about service and quality. The location of this hotel is perfect and the building is very nice. The bad things are the quality of the rooms and even worse, the very bad quality of the food. Also the breakfest is on a very low level. Just improve the management and service quality! The hotel is all over overpriced. Sevilla as a very nice city and it's worth to see it. So if you stay just for one night in Sevilla, the hotel is ok and you will be in a perfect location to discover the city."

• Travel date: Sun 15th of May 2005

A Beautiful Hotel, But...

Reviewed Mon 19th of November 2012

"The Alfonso XIII is a gorgeous hotel and I would definitely stay here again. The building is stunning, lovely pool area, nice workout room, wonderful bar, courtyard and much more. BUT, the service is in need of serious attention. On no less than 3 separate occasions I found only 1 person working at the front desk (including both check-in and check-out). Worse, the person was doing both registration and concierge service (at checkout, I had to wait for 25 minutes while they arranged a trip for a group to the Alhambra. On another occasion, I waited 30 minutes for them to call for a taxi while they sorted out problems for 2 separate hotel guests). In short, this is a beautiful property. Just prepare yourself for limited staffing. The folks at Starwood need to sort this problem out. It makes an otherwise 5 star property clearly 4 star."

• Travel date: Mon 9th of May 2005