Mixed Review.

Reviewed 2nd November 2012

"Stayed here for one night in June after reading the somewhat mixed reviews. Have to say that mine are somewhat mixed too. The receptionist was the gum-chewing, brusque and bored type - not the welcome you'd expect and unusual in a Melia hotel. But, that said, the bell-boy and the bar-staff were courteous and helpful. Our room was on the small side but was clean and looked to have been fairly recently refurbished. There were none of the problems of noise or questionable hygeine that other reviews have mentioned. I'm not a particular fan of awesomely chandeliered lobbies, and they don't do enough for me to make the rest of my stay excellent. So I'm not sure what qualifies this hotel as a 5 star rather than a 4. All in all, it looks as if the management need to work harder to maintain standards across the whole of the hotel. I stay in a lot of Melia properties and, normally, the ethos of the group makes them a reliable choice. I'd stay here again... but only just."

• Travel date: 25th June 2005

fabulous hotel

Reviewed 17th December 2012

"Stayed in this hotel for 2 nights in march, staff very friendly and went the extra mile, can't believe how other people had rated this hotel. We were totally put off staying after reading other reports from the americans, but take no notice, rooms spotless and clean, in fact more like suites than rooms. Make the most of the fabulous breakfast buffet, after working in the hotel industry for many years, I can honestly say I have never seen a breakfast buffet like it........ Can't wait to go back again."

• Travel date: 6th March 2005

value for money

Reviewed 2nd November 2012

"i went to Seville in 24/3/05 for 2 nights.i paid 97 euros for a single room.i was given room 514 wich was a great big room,(no view however).location is great.breakfast good,loby good.the only problem was the heat into our room,that made me open the window,since no a/c was working... in any case i would stay there again since the price you pay is worth it. the hotel is a 4 star,not 5."

• Travel date: 1st March 2005

Superb hotel - don't know what all the negative comments are about

Reviewed 30th October 2012

"We had a wonderful stay at the Melia. Although we had asked for a non - smoking room at checkin we were given the choice of two rooms a non - smoking standard or a smoking one with wonderful views. I have a thing about smoking and agreed that if there was a terrible smell we would take the other room. On entering the room it smelt wonderfully fresh and the view was to die for. A double balcony meant we had wonderful views of the city and from the smell and the furnishings I would never have guessed that it was a smoking room. Throughout our stay the staff were attentive and polite. The buffet breakfast was wonderful and set you up for the whole day. I have even recommended this hotel to my mother and she has incredibly high standards but I am sure the that Melia will meet them."

• Travel date: 21st February 2005

Nice for a 4 Star - but a 5 Star, NO WAY !

Reviewed 25th October 2012

"From outside, the front entrance and the view to the spectaular lobby chandelier, the first impression is encouraging. Upon entering though the first tell tale sign that all is not well is the shabby white(ish) furnishings at the foot of the stairs. The hotel was refurbished in 1988 and, apparently, has not been touched since. The staff were very pleasant, in a casual sort of manner, with nice, but ill fitting uniforms. The bedrooms were spacious and comfortable, but dated, with 70's style cork tiles and shower head in the bathroom (must have missed that 80's refurbishment). But the biggest disappointment was when I asked for details of the sauna / jacuzzi facilities, to be told they were not available at weekends !. For an offer of €94,00 per night, I guess I can't really complain, but I would definitely have checked back out immediately if I had paid full price for this hotel. The Melia chain do not do 5 Star very well in general. In Seville, you are caught between a rock and a hard place. You can pay €350,00 + for the Alfonso X111, with no Spa facilities, or else choose from the Melia Colon or the Barcelo Gran Renacimiento. The Melia Colon has a great location, but is 4 Star at best. The Barcelo Gran Hotel is closer to 5 Star, (still not quite there either), but is outside the City Centre, so a car / taxi is essential. The Barcelo has ample parking, the Melia Colon has limited, payable spaces. Barcelo is modern, the Melia Colon, classic but shabby. I would choose the Barcelo next time, but never pay full price for either - you will be disappointed. Hold on a few months while the Westin Group install a Gym etc at the Alfonso X111, then blow the bank on this one."

• Travel date: 13th February 2005

great hotel, good staff

Reviewed 21st October 2012

"Having read some of the other reviews on this website, I was preparing with some trepidation for our 3 night stay at the Melia Colon. I needn't have worried-the location was excellent. Staff were very friendly & helpful-booking Flamenco dancing, taxis & restaurants for us. Our room-right at the top-had a magnificent terrace overlooking the city and internal fittings though not bang up to date were entirely serviceable and consistent with a high quality hotel. The breakfast buffet was one of the most extensive I have ever seen (making lunch redundant) and the in-house restaurant was worth a visit in its own right. We'd definitely return!"

• Travel date: 9th January 2005

Not really worth the five stars

Reviewed 17th December 2012

"We stayed at the Melia in August, albeit for just one night. Have to say, I agree with most of the comments on website. Hotel lobby area very impressive when you walk in but I think you have to be lucky to catch the happy receptionist. Rooms and hallways are a bit tired - especially the bathrooms, which are very small as well, particularly for a 5 star. Parking valet was handy, as there is nowhere to leave your car nearby. Bit of a shock when your bill has the parking costs added onto it - I think it was about 18 euros for one night. Not going to break the bank, but still not cheap. Hotel handy for main attractions and sights etc. Got a good deal on melias own website for the room, so cant complain too much. In all, a very average hotel although not worth the five stars."

• Travel date: 3rd December 2004

Good location - shame about the staff!

Reviewed 17th November 2012

"On arrival after a long wait (despite only 2 other people in the queue) when the receptionist had finally finished chatting on the phone, we were greeted with a frosty reception. We had booked 3 rooms for 3 nights and as travelling with a baby, had requested that 2 rooms be adjoining (we were told this would not be a problem). Needless to say, although the rooms were on the same floor, we did not get adjoining rooms. When trying to sort this out, reception were just not interested and so we just gave up. One of the rooms was large and quite nice, the other two, small, shabby and worn - more like a 3 star room. The breakfast was fairly good - but be warned - the staff here were exceptionally rude. All in all we found the whole experience fairly amusing but for £100 a night an expensive joke! As a frequent visitor to Seville - this is the worst service I have ever received in any hotel- if you want a proper 5 star hotel, it has to be the Alfonso XIII."

• Travel date: 29th November 2004

Not a 5 Star Hotel!

Reviewed 23rd October 2012

"Definitely NOT a 5 star hotel !! We only spent two nights of our 2 week honeymoon there and it was the worst hotel we stayed in. The staff was not very nice and not helpful at all. The rooms were large but everything from the bed to the faucets was totally outdated. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone and would never stay there again !"

• Travel date: 28th November 2004

it wasn't that bad

Reviewed 17th November 2012

"Stayed in this hotel in August. I was reading the reviews and was thinking of not going but it was only for 2 nights and for 75 euros I thought we wouldn't be finding a lot bettter. The hotel is actually quite nice. The staff was always very friendly and we were very confortable in a spacious room with a sofa and all the normal 5 star amenities. The parking was quite expensive and we weren't warned that they would charge us (in our country it is always included in the price). Nevertheless, we had a very pleasant stay. The only thing about this hotel is that it really is only a five star because of its hall and entrance that is very baroque but for the rest it is more a normal 4 star. But for 75 euros it isn't that bad."

• Travel date: 23rd September 2004