2036
Good

Great accomodations, great service!

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"stayed 4 nights at the Londres. The location is ideal for just about everything in San Sebastian. You are right in the middle of everything with the ocean and beach just steps from your door. For location, this place is tops.

We had a crappy street view and every other room on our floor had a terrace, ours did not because it was covered with duct work and pipes. However, since it was a stag trip and sleeping was the only thing we did in the room, that was fine with us. We did have a somewhat large room by euro standards and our bathroom was enormous. It had 2 sinks and was probably 150 square feet. This made up for the lack of view.

The service was excellent. The doorman helped us out a great deal and was extremely friendly and willing to help. Really a nice guy. We also needed some laundry done on short notice and the front desk was able to make it happen with very little fuss. Finally our maids were very skilled and remained pretty much invisible.

The room is nice, pretty standard fare but comfortable and the AC worked very well. Nice flat screen TV and wireless internet that also worked well."

• Travel date: Tue 7th of November 2006

Adequate, bathrooms nice but need renovating

Reviewed Mon 12th of November 2012

"Staff was very nice, location can't be beat, right on the beach and pedestrian walk way. We were on a non-smoking floor but smelled smoke occasionally. Staff was unconcerned about keeping people from smoking in the rooms. "We say they are non-smoking, but if they smoke, we cannot stop them." (A policy that is changing in most nice hotels, my husband witnessed a hotel assess a $200 fine to a lady for smoking in a non-smoking room! Yay!)

That being said our room itself smelled o.k. Walls are thin, heard other travelers bumbling around and every morning heard the maids throwing stuff around in the closets starting about 8 a.m. Hairdryer was one of those terrible wall-mounted barely blows any air types. Lovely view of the sea from 4th floor room, could hear the ocean continuously so if that is not your bag, book a street side room but be warned that it is a busy street out there. We loved the ocean sounds. Wild party on the beach all night one night and kept us awake. Could hear the whole party clearly through the closed windows even with ear plugs. Bathrooms are in dire need of being renovated, ours was probably original to the building, or at least 15-20 years old and very dated. Drinks were very expensive. But, if nothing else is available, would stay there again. Again, staff was really nice."

• Travel date: Wed 11th of October 2006

Great location, average hotel

Reviewed Sun 4th of November 2012

"We LOVED the location of the Londres, about 50 feet from the Playa de la Concha and the Bay of Biscay. But it is an older hotel, and at least the room we were in had probably been inhabited by smokers for the last 50 years. We didn't smell he smoke, though, all we smelled was this strange deodorizer that caused us to immediately open the balcony door and keep it open for our entire trip. Loved the city, loved the location, but we were pretty much ignored by the staff - exceot a couple of times when they randomly opened our hotel room door, probably for the turn-down service but we never found out."

• Travel date: Mon 17th of July 2006

Average hotel depending too much on it's sea views & location!

Reviewed Wed 10th of October 2012

"Great location very average hotel. We paid €147 for the room per night excluding breakfast: you are only paying for the amazing sea view.

The hotel itself is certainly not good value for money. It's decor is very tired.
The bedroom & bathroom are a good size but need to be upgraded. The seaview is spectaular.

The reception & accommodation staff were friendly and helpful, unfortunately the breakfast staff were not.

Breakfast is priced at an amazing €27 - the biggest rip off I have come across in a long time. A tired restaurant, resonable breakfast with no great choice, unfriendly staff, dusty counters and very poor coffee - and not even a great sea view as is it half blocked!

The Hotel Londres needs a seriously good rehall. We stayed in a Raddisson for €205 per room per night after this and felt it worth every penny - the Hotel Londres could learn a thing or two from them."

• Travel date: Mon 26th of June 2006

Just average

Reviewed Tue 13th of November 2012

"Splendid location, a sea-view-balcony is highly recommended. Ok rooms, though a little dusty and old-fashioned. Some staffmembers had a bit of attitude-problem, and charging one euro every time you lend a beach-towel shouldnt be necessary with those room-prices. All in all ok, but not top-notch."

• Travel date: Thu 22nd of June 2006

Had a great time....BUT??

Reviewed Mon 12th of November 2012

"We stayed at the Londres for two nights and booked it over the web. The decision was made easier by reading the reviews in Tripadvisor. The location of the Londres is terrific, no doubt about it! Nice staff at reception and a nice old (but getting worn) feel to the place......I note that work is being done. Our room was fine, nothing special, and a terrific view no doubt about it. Everything worked in the room and good generous sized bathrooms too. San Sebastien is a terrific destination, great party atmosphere if thats what you're looking for, or on the other extreme, a complete chill out if you want that. Playa de la Concha is a great beach, well serviced, the water is nice.....and location location location of the Londres to these surroundings is a huge plus!!!
But......we had breakfast the second of our two days and a little short of a sore head from the night before we just went straight to the dining room. At start, it seemed basic enough, however the coffee was very poor, everything was fresh alright, bread, cheeses, meats, etc etc. There was a layer of dust on the table divider beside me and on it was a table cloth cleaner that has seen better days. Service was very poor!!!!! and not a smile in sight!!!! Come on, smile, you're on show......service is a performance and if you dont like the job then dont be in it! Anyway we went about our day and killed a few hours on the beach before checking out. I checked out just before 12pm and on viewing my bill I saw €27.00 x 2 and noticed too that this was for breakfast......€54.00 for the worse breakfast of the holiday I might add. I said to the nice man at reception that the breakfast at Londres was not worth €27.00 ; he was kind enough to give me a questionnaire which I will fill out and return soon. We are the last people to crib about the price of anything.....we like spending money on items be they luxury or not, but the least you expect from any purchase is VALUE......we did not get this and I'm afraid the extra €54 on our bill put a sour taste in the mouth. I'm sorry but €27 for the breakfast at the Londres is a total rip off!!! If they get it right, with proper service and clean surroundings, and a smile in the morning.....just a small one even if you dont mean it......then yes....charge €27.00
The Londres could be a great hotel, it has everything going for it.....location location location.....some nice people working there but it needs refurbishment which seems to have started. The dining room could be great but its not. The bar could also be great but its lacking something, not sure what? The rooms are fine/good, nothing special but command a terrific view....not all of them though.
The reviews of the Londres really put it on a premium level. I'm afraid that the location is blinding people and their comments/reviews. The Londres is an average enough hotel, its the location that makes it. I might return, to see if Breakfast has improved!"

• Travel date: Sun 18th of June 2006

Wonderful in every way!

Reviewed Tue 13th of November 2012

"We stayed at the Hotel de Londres y de Inglaterra for one night in mid March 2006. The service was wonderful. Our room was a full ocean view as promised, beautiful in every way. We could look right out into the ocean, the visitors walking along the shore and the dogs frolicking along the waves. At night, we slept to the sounds of the waves lapping in the breeze. HIGHLY recommend this hotel, it was our first time in San Sebastian and would definitely return."

• Travel date: Sun 26th of March 2006

Best Sea View Ever

Reviewed Sun 4th of November 2012

"Stayed 3 nights as part of a touring holiday. Payed extra for what turned out to be a superb sea view. Nice room and bathroom too, internet access available for a charge. Chargeable parking not far away. Excellent breakfast. Friendly staff save one doorman. Unbeatable location, old style hotel."

• Travel date: Mon 10th of October 2005

Loved it!!!

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"Wonderful hotel. Old world charm, but the best part is the ocean views from our room. Absolutely the best.

The rooms are a little small, but very nice. We actually stayed at the Maria Christina the first night and then moved to the Londres, mostly because my husband and I wanted to be right on the ocean. The rooms and beds are much smaller than the luxury at Maria Christina, but the view and vibe is much better at the Londres. I wish I could take the size of the room, comfort of the bed from the Maria Christina and put it in the Londres and I would move in for good!

San Sebastian is great and prepare to have the best food you have ever tasted!"

• Travel date: Sat 8th of October 2005

Absolutely Wonderful

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"My husband and I stayed here for part of our honeymoon in August, 2003. I am just online now trying to contact the hotel to find out what our room number was so we can go back and stay again. In short, this was my husband and my favorite part of our honeymoon, and is now actually our top vacation choice in the world. We will definitely be back!"

• Travel date: Thu 23rd of June 2005