Good
Good

Well Chilled

Reviewed Thu 1st of November 2012

"My girlfriend and i stayed at the Romantic in June 2005 and this was the first time I'd been on hloiday without bookng a package deal. Any possible anxiety i had about this completely disappeared when the taxi driver the hotel owners recommend showed up at the airport with a placard with my name on. I felt llike a celebrity! All this was organised through the hotel who were really helpful in accommodating my needs. We rceived a really friendly welcome...very important when you feel like the only gay in the village! The hotel was stunning, rooms beautifully decorated and exceptionally clean. In fact the only thing that could have made it better is a swimming pool but being in the hub of the town this would be difficult to accommodate! The owners and their staff where really helpful in recommending places to go, bars and restaurants and we would definitely visit again!"

• Travel date: Tue 11th of October 2005

1960's Guest house

Reviewed Tue 16th of October 2012

"I tried main land spain for the first time and spent 7 nights at the hotel.
The staff were very friendly and good.But that was it. This hotel may have been romantic and of a good rating in the 60's but not any more, it requires a getting deal of money spending on it to bring it up to any form of standard. Stained tiled floors very poor bathrooms i was in room 61 the bath tub was 2'6 by 2' with old mis matched tiles all had seen a better day.
Yes it is a noisy hotel with all the vespers driving by. The gardens are pebbles you cannot say they are wonderful or romantic (grubby bird droppings and plastic table clothed yes). Overpriced as is Sitge's itself.
I would on return to this 1960's devonshire seaside resort again."

• Travel date: Mon 8th of August 2005

Atmospheric and steeped in history, but noisy and lacking in modern amenities

Reviewed Wed 26th of December 2012

"I have stayed at the Romantic I think four times over the past ten years.
Overall I would give it 4/5 and this is taking into account several factors. On the plus side, it is, as the name suggests, a romantic place to stay, being steeped in history (it is three former villas dating back to the 1920s) with lots of Art Nouveau period detail. SOME of the rooms are nice; the staff are generally helpful in an old-school way; the hotel is central; it has a nice bar that can be a good place to meet people and it is not expensive. However it is lacking in modern facilities (lack of aircon can prove a problem in high summer with temperatures outside reaching late 30s); it is in a location that has lately become very noisy, with nearby nightlife going on all hours and nightly refuse collections both proving problematic if you are overlooking the street, and be warned, the smallest rooms are just plain poky and uncomfortable.

I'd recommend staying here if you like the old-school charm you will probably find there, and are not bothered about mod cons. Ask for a rear-facing room, and avoid the small one-person rooms. Oh and take earplugs !"

• Travel date: Wed 29th of June 2005

wonderful hotel

Reviewed Wed 26th of December 2012

"We loved this pretty hotel so much that we changed our flights and stayed for an extra two nights! We had a very quiet room at the front of the hotel. The staff were great, the breakfast sumptuous and the little courtyard garden delightful. We would not stay anwhere else in Sitges."

• Travel date: Thu 23rd of December 2004

like staying with a relative...

Reviewed Tue 9th of October 2012

"I have to agree with an earlier post that this hotel is indeed noisy and maintenance is not what it should be. Our bed was the worst I've ever slept in since camp. The floors were dirty when we came in. All that having been said, I have to add the the staff is as charming as they can be and hotel is enchanting. Built from two old mansions, the hotel is filled with art and many common rooms where you can sit and relax. If you are looking for a Hyatt this is not it. But if you're like me and have stayed in too many sterile and extruded hotel rooms, this can be a pleasant change. It's more like a B&B and staying there is like staying with a relative who owns a beautiful home which has seen better days. Best advice if you are interested: try the beds and shower before you accept the room and get ear plugs if you're a light sleeper."

• Travel date: Mon 15th of September 2003

Noisiest hotel ever!

Reviewed Thu 1st of November 2012

"Having been to Sitges twice before, we decided to try this hotel as the building and balconies looked beautiful. Staff were consistently helpful and friendly throughout our stay and breakfast in the garden was nice. HOWEVER, the shower didn't work very well, the toilet leaked, there was a constant smell of drains, one day we were left without toilet roll & our sheets weren't changed during the whole week. Our key gripe, however, was the noise. The windows are not double-glazed & it's impossible to open/close the windows/shutters quietly or lock/unlock the door without making noise - not that anyone tried. The clientele in this hotel are here for a good time & sit in the garden/bar until the small hours or come back at 6am with no consideration for other guests.
As all the floors are tiled you are disturbed at all times. As in another review, we are warning you that this is not the place for a peaceful stay (we will be choosing somewhere quieter next year), but if you're into clubbing and staying up all night, you're sure to have a ball...."

• Travel date: Sat 13th of September 2003

Wonderful Sitges Stop

Reviewed Tue 25th of December 2012

"The Hotel Romantic in the lovely town of Sitges is a wonderful choice for a place to stay. The building and grounds are beautiful and if you can get a room with a balcony, even better. Breakfast is included. Best to reserve in advance during the high season."

• Travel date: Sat 3rd of May 2003

Noisy nights

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"Myself and two friends stayed at this hotel over the recent Easter holidays. The hotel itself cannot be faulted. It is a two-star that deserves to be a four-star. Wonderfully helpful and friendly staff, clean, comfortable (if small) rooms. Lovely bar. Decent buffet breakfast. The major problem here is not the hotel but the awful noise from the nearby "pub" and it's customers which progresses throughout the night ending at around 6 or 7am!! Loud shouting from crowds of people, glasses smashing, people vomiting, constant noise from 11pm through to 7am. Fine if you are in the pub, not so good if you are trying to sleep in the hotel. No point in complaining to the hotel. There's nothing they can do. Sitges's noise pollution laws don't seem to have been written yet!!It is such a shame and really ruined my stayed at this hotel. I would imagine that most of Romantics guests are either all night clubbers or first time guests (like myself) who know no better. Be warned and enjoy Sitges."

• Travel date: Tue 22nd of April 2003

no windows

Reviewed Tue 25th of December 2012

"Had a room with no windows. Then changed for one with windows but across the street from a noisy discotheque. Awful overall experience."

• Travel date: Sun 13th of April 2003

Riveria Jewell

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"The Hotel Romantic is a beautiful hotel that lives up to it's name. Three 19th Century villas adorned with art and ceramics compliment the stylish decor and the bar and garden are outstanding. This is THE place to stay in Sitges which has to be Spain's most flambouyant resort. The staff are excellent and the resort attracts a glorious mixture of visitors from families to hedonists. A gay resort since the 60's when even the repressive regime of Franco could not stop the town becoming a tolarant and artistic haven, it still attracts people who I thought only inhabited the world of Noel Coward, Scott Fitzgerald and Truman Capote - come to the Romantic and Sitges, sip some pink Cava and fly....."

• Travel date: Fri 7th of March 2003