exterior

• catalan amenities
  • water park

More like 2 star hotel

Reviewed 12th September 2018

"This hotel definitely doesn’t deserve a four star rating! I am currently still here and I am not enjoying my experience especially for the amount I paid. The good side is there are plenty of sun beds and the pool is really big which is nice. It’s right next to the parks so you can walk straight through to Portaventura. Now for the bad. The staff are actually appalling. NEVER have I ever been on holiday and experienced such rudeness in my whole life. We’ve had salt thrown at us when we’ve asked nicely for some salt. They can barely understand anything we’re saying now I don’t expect them to understand great English but in a big tourist hotel like itself you think they’d understand basic English. Didn’t even know what a coke was? When we’ve ordered lunch a lady went to serve us, she couldn’t understand that we wanted chicken strips even though it’s on their menu so she walked away and started serving someone else so the other lady in the end 5 minutes later served us. They all look so miserable apart from a couple younger staff members. When we’ve said gracias to them they walk away and ignore us. Especially in the restaurant for breakfast and dinner you just get ignored. The staff have such a habit of just walking away and ignoring you when you’re trying to be polite. I am furious and I want to go home. I go abroad twice a year and I’ve been to plenty Spanish islands and they’ve all been amazing it’s such a shame that this hotel is mainly let down by staff. We’ve got a leak in our bathroom underneath the sink, we reported it, well at least tried and after 5 minutes of trying to explain they sent someone to go look, nothing has been done still and it’s still leaking which is dangerous because the floor is always soaking. We’ve gone for breakfast one morning and a woman tried sending us elsewhere but we couldn’t understand as she said in Spanish, we tried telling her we are English and don’t understand then she laughed in our faces and let us in and it was barely even full plently of room! We’ve gone to order cocktails at the bar which doesn’t open till 7pm till 11 and the man laughed again at us which I don’t understand. What’s funny about ordering a cocktail? Also there’s a big stain on our bedding. The entertainment is poor in the evening and there’s nothing to do once parks are closed. Prices are very expensive it’s €3.20 just for a small Fanta. Rooms are outdated and there’s no kettle for tea and coffee. There’s hardly any plugs only one so we’ve had to unplug the lamps. The food is nice but very poor selection it’s always just pizza and pasta every night gets so boring! Would happily go out for food but there’s not much about for at least a 25 minute walk. Dinner doesn’t even open till 7pm which I think is a little late. Just like to say as well it’s as if they treat us different to Spanish people. The amount of times we’ve ordered something and said thank you and been so polite they ignore you and walk away, so you just have to assume they got your order down and then you see them walk over to Spanish people smiling, having conversations and laughing lol. Overall I won’t be coming back and this is probably the worst stay I’ve ever had. They need to remove 4 star and put it to 2. I’ve stayed in much nicer hotels with amazing staff that go above and beyond in 2 star hotels!!"

• Travel date: 1st September 2018

Great holiday

Reviewed 14th September 2012

"Just come back from staying at El Paso for 1 week at the beginning of September. Couldn't ask for anymore from the hotel. The food, entertainment and drink were all what I expected with the added bonus of the theme park and water park on our doorstep. The rooms were basic, but probably the best I've been in, in Spain, the pool area excellent and the buffet restaurant and the El Cayote were very good with the added bonus of being able to eat in the park, it would have been even better if we'd had that benefit in the water park. My only upset with the whole holiday was my family being somewhat dysfunctional (I have twins who are 12, a baby and a partner who hates queues), the Spanish thinking it was ok to queue jump and the opening times of the rides. With the amount of people in the park, all the rides should open at 10 to make it a lot less hassle. If I was to do it again, I wouldn't take my baby or partner and get a weeks express pass fo 49 euros each, I am now looking at next years holiday just for me and the twins at El Paso, but that's proving difficult, they don't appear to cater for 1 adult and 2 kids!!"

• Travel date: 14th September 2012

Absolutely Fantastic Experience at this Hotel!

Reviewed 3rd July 2012

"Having been to Salou on a couple of holidays in previous years and been very disappointed with the hotels we had stayed at, we decided this time to stay at one of the themed hotels of PortAventura itself. We couldn't have made a better choice. The rooms here have all been refurbished this year, our room was lovely, spacious and clean. However, due to our room overlooking the "square" which contained the bars, we found it far too noisey. We contacted our Thomas Cook Rep Hannah who in turn liased with reception and got us a room change to a quieter part of the hotel, no fuss, no excuses she got it arranged no problem, we moved into our equally (but quieter) lovely room that same day - thank you Hannah! Stayed here in the low season, so couldn't say if we may have still been moved had the hotel been fuller. I must say, it did takes us a few trips before we remembered the correct route from our room to the lifts, we felt it was like a maze to begin with but soon found our way without getting lost lol! We were given fresh towels daily, sheets were changed every other day and the room cleaned daily. We had a safe and a mini fridge at no extra charge (pleasantly surprised as these items usually incur extra charges). The reception staff were very friendly and efficient, they were happy to book taxis for you and were generally very helpful. The restaurants were clean and the food (buffet style)was plentiful and varied albeit not as hot as we would have liked, but that seems to be the Spanish way :) The staff were polite and friendly. On the odd day, there would be queues but it didn't take too long to get seated. The main beach in Salou can be reached by bus or taxi,walking it can be done but may be too much if you have little ones. We would definitley stay at this hotel again or any of the four themed hotels here, Hotel PortAventura warrants every one of its four stars! "

• Travel date: 2nd July 2012

fantastic location

Reviewed 12th June 2012

"We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights and all I can say is wow!! we were half board, the food was nice, the hotel room was nice, the pool was nice, all very clean, staff friendly but it was the location that topped it. The price of the hotel was including entrance to the theme park which was fantastic. great for all ages. Would def return here"

• Travel date: 11th June 2012

the best of the best !

Reviewed 6th October 2010

"I went durıng the summer of 2007 ıt was fantasıc. Food 10\10 locatıon 7\10 attractıons e.g theme park 10\10 ıf you have a famıly of youngsters aged 7 - 16 they wıll love ıt u can not fınd better hotel wıth a theme park 5 mınute walk away or a hotel ın the world better than thıs ı would not reccomend to coulpes just goıng for a break because there are lotsss of kıdddssss ! but overall beyond amazıng !"

• Travel date: 20th August 2010

Very bad hotel

Reviewed 22nd July 2010

"My family spent three nights here. Bfast buffet was excellent; the evening buffet was excellent too and good value; also location, right next to the park. BUT we got nowhere near the value we paid (just over 140 per night, per person - 1100 Euro for three nights B&B with park entry included too). The furniture is very old, the floor of the room very dirty, I have never been in a 4 star hotel with mould in the tiles around the bath either (I have the photos to prove all this); when the soap ran out it was never replaced, the ancient tiny television had a grainy picture, the mattress was all springs and very uncomfortable. The cushions looked very dirty too. The minibar refrigirator was OFF as well as EMPTY. It wasn't just our room either: the bird droppings all over the hotel grounds indicate a general lack of cleanliness. I never stayed in a 4 star hotel with paint pealing and dirty corridoor walls. The ponds are also very dirty: one of them is green with alga, while the other (nearer the restaurant) is clear thanks to the chlorine treatment but full of leaves and debris. My family is determined that IF we ever choose Portaventura over Europa Park (Freiburg, Germany) or Eurodisney (Paris) we will certainly NOT stay at Hotel Portaventura again."

• Travel date: 22nd July 2010

Hotel PortAventura - Must Improve

Reviewed 28th August 2009

"This was our fourth visit to this resort and third consecutive year staying at Hotel PortAventura. This year was very disappointing - standards have slipped dramatically and it appears that all the effort and investment is now going into the new hotel - Gold River http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZc8s7-LiOU this link shows our 2009 experience Staffing levels are down, cleanliness is poor, aircon was not working properly in reception, restaurants and some rooms. Queues were very bad for meals as well as for the cafe on site and the bar in the evening - only one barperson most nights. Poolside showers were faulty, soap and shampoo were often not replenished and on site facilities have been cut. It is now a month since I identified these issues at the hotel and have since phoned and emailed from the UK - no responce so they clearly do not care about loyal customers. Disappointing. "

• Travel date: 23rd August 2009

El Paso - Port Aventura

Reviewed 31st October 2008

"This was an excellent hotel. When we arrived the theme park including it's 3 hotels were in full Halloween mode. We were unaware of this when we booked but it was all very well done (even though I don't like spooky, spooky!) The down side to the Halloween theme was that there was no escaping it. There was spooky music through every speaker in the hotel, theme park, public toilets, restaurants, it was the same 10 songs on a loop and by the end of our 2 weeks we were sick listening to it! The staff dress up and so do the characters i.e. Woody Woodpecker, Popeye, Betty Boop etc. This is all good fun and my daughter loved it. However, in El Paso 16 rooms had been converted into Hotel Burn. This was done like a haunted house idea, with blood running down the walls, candles, spooky pictures, blood stained bed sheets. It cost 50 euro a night to stay in it and from 8pm til 2am you would get the life scared out of you by Freddie Crouger, Exorcist, Vampires etc. The make-up was amazing and could only be done with special FX of Universal Studios and the likes. These guys were really terrifing and looked the part! This was not for me! For example in the theme park, Port Aventura (which if you are staying in one of the 3 hotels, you get unlimited access to) was full of scary folk and the more scared you look the more they chase you. Therefore, at the weekend, when it was at its worst, I stayed away from the theme park! They have a parade on Saturday night 10pm and fireworks at midnight but don't mistake it as we did as the children's character parade with Woody and the likes, oh no. It's the scary folk again in coffins, black carriages etc. Not for faint hearted. Having said all that, it was a brilliant holiday. The hotel room was cleaned every day. The overall cleanliness of the hotel/park was excellent. The choice of the food in the buffet was good for adults however, for children it was repetative e.g. pizza, hot dog (no buns), pasta, chicken nuggets. However, staying in the hotel meant unlimited use of any of the restaurants in the park or the other hotels. These restaurants are al a carte but when you book at reception you are given vouchers to the value of 20 euro an adult and 10 euro for a child. You use these to pay for your meal and if it is more then you simply pay the rest. We used the al a carte most nights as the buffet from Fri-Mon was busy with Spanish and you had to queue for dinner these nights. The pool was really good too but was quiet due to time of year. Pool was freezing! However, this didn't stop my daughter who was in every other day! If you need beach towels you can hire these from reception for a deposit of 15 euro per towel but you do get this back and it saves the hassle of drying your own. You can use any of the other hotels pools too and same applies with towels there too. The galleon was closed due to the wood starting to rot. So it will probably need replaced and therefore out of commission for sometime. The pool at Hotel Caribe was excellent. It's like a sandy beach right into the water and sand at the bottom of it. My daughter really liked this pool. The kids club is beside the pool in El Paso and was excellent, the staff are Spanish but they were fantastic with the kids and really went out their way to make my daughter feel welcome and made a fuss of her everytime she went back. Only one of the pool bars was open and I assume this was due to time of year and that there was not many people at the pool. Club Maya was the one that was open and it sold the usual, beer, soft drinks, toaties, chips, ice lollies. If you are not keen on a multi-national hotel, then I would give this a miss. The Spanish come to this hotel at the weekend and come Friday through to Monday the guests at this hotel are predominantely Spanish. This didn't bother me at all and as the Spanish obv. found this time of year really cold (they had their jumpers, jeans, boots, hats and scarves on!) they didn't use the pool very much which meant it was never busy. The weather at this time of year is not very good. Our first week was cold and raining. Being optimistic we hadn't brought clothes to suit this type of weather. It was jeans and t-shirt type weather, not as cold as at home of course but not nice enough to walk about with shorts. The second week was much better and we actually got a bit of a tan before we came home. If you want to go into Salou, it is only about 15 mins walk. My daughter is only 5 so this was a bit long for her, so we tended to get a taxi which averages 7 euro. If there are more than 2 of you, it is cheaper to get a taxi than use the wee train from the hotel. It takes 3 euro per head. The train is free from the hotel to the theme park, however, we never used it as the theme park was 5 mins walk from the hotel. The water park, Costa Caribe in the theme park is closed at this time of year and this is understandable as the water is too cold to spend all day in. The Beach Club is also closed at this time of year but the wee train will still take you to the Beach Club beach which is much quiter than the main beach in Salou. However, be aware that there are no shops here open at this time year either. My husband had to walk into Salou to buy some water etc. The park closes at 7pm Mon-Fri at this time of year but stays open until midnight on Saturday and 9.30pm on Sunday. DO NOT go to the park on a Saturday/Sunday it is mobbed. You will have to queue 2 hours for the smallest rides that during the week you can walk straight onto. Go Mon-Thur as it is really quiet. The theme park is in 4 parts. Far West, Polynesia, Mexico and China. Each part has one major ride, Far West has Furious Baco, Polynesia has most of the kiddies rides, Mexico has Hurricaine Condor, China has Dragon Khan. I don't like roller coasters just as much as I don't like spooky things but my husband and step-daughter (14) loves them and they thought that Furious Baco and Hurricain Condor were fantastic. My daughter (5) loved Sea Odessey and El Diablo (like a runaway train). The height restrictions for most rides is 1.20m. So she was too small for any of those, which is why she loved El Diablo as it is like a big roller coaster but 2 of the seats have been converted to take children under 1.20m. I will return to this hotel again but earlier in the year to hopefully guarantee the weather. "

• Travel date: 31st October 2008

Just returned from 7 nights at Hotel Por...

Reviewed 6th August 2008

"Just returned from 7 nights at Hotel Portaventura. Stayed 2 Adults 2 Children. Our room was ready when we arrived at 1pm and what a fantastic room overlooking pool opposite restaurant - nice and spacious and the fridge and complimentary 2 bottles of water were much needed in the 30 degree heat! Reception staff were very friendly and spoke english. Safe in room is free to use and fast trak tickets for park are given out on arrival 2 per person per week, also your room card acts as a fast trak after 9pm. Towels changed every day and sheets twice a week. You can hire towels for the pool at 15euros deposit each which you get back when you are finished with them. You just take the towels to the gym and they can be changed for fresh ones on a daily basis. This saves a lot of room in your case. If you have any queries just go to reception and they will do their best to help you. All the restaurant staff were nice and the buffet gave a good choice. You can always find something to eat. Only problem we had were the flies in the restaurant but if you sit close to the entrance inside it was a lot better!! Portaventura theme park is just amazing from the rides to the shows which are just a walk around the corner away. Our favourite show was China Town and Bubble Bou is also really good, especially for the kids. The characters around the park and hotel keep the youngsters happy and add atmosphere to the place. A special mention must go to Ralf and Nicholas the childrens entertainers who really worked hard and chatted to the kids on a night and did a fantastic mini disco."

• Travel date: 6th August 2008

Absolutley loved this hotel. Rooms were...

Reviewed 8th July 2008

"Absolutley loved this hotel. Rooms were great, big and modern and cleaned everyday with fresh towels provided. My boyfriend and I stayed half board and the food was great! The biggest bonus about this hotel is that it is the only one that allows you to walk straight into the theme park from your hotel so you can come and go as you please. You can use you're room key to get into the park so there is no need to buy tickets and they also provide you with express passes for the rides and tickets to the water park which is in the theme park. Pool area was clean and comfortable, always enough sunbeds and lifeguards are all around the pool. I would definatley recommend this hotel to anyone! Also spoke to people staying in the el paso and the Caribe who ended up coming to the portaventura hotel for dinner and most days to sunbathe as it was far nicer. Overall 10/10!"

• Travel date: 8th July 2008

My family (myself, husband, son age 13 &...

Reviewed 21st September 2006

"My family (myself, husband, son age 13 & daughter age 10) didn't quite know what to expect as we have only ever been to the Florida theme parks and villas, but this holiday was fantastic, due to the fact that everything was within walking distance so no need for hot and sticky car journeys!! Hotel Port Aventura was very clean and the staff were friendly enough. Reception could be quite busy at times. All staff members, from managers to cleaning staff, were friendly and if you make the effort to learn few easy Spanish words you will always are greeted with a hola or gracias from them. Our room was clean and bright with two double beds, shower, bath, and wash basin and wash stand. There was plenty of room for all your holiday bits and pieces, including a security safe (a small deposit was needed) for your valuables and a mini fridge that was cool enough to keep bottles of juice & water cold. Our balcony overlooked one of the pool areas although that was due to more luck than anything else as there was rooms that overlooked the big concrete car park. A couple of downsides were our room was a good 5 mins walk from reception, which might not seem a lot but when you've been out all day, the kids are getting tired (you as well!) and your feet are starting to hurt it seems to take forever and the television in the room could have had a few more English speaking channels, although to be fair you aren't going to a theme park to watch the TV. Breakfast was very good with a wide range of foods from cereal and bacon & eggs to cold meats and cakes & pastries - pancakes with chocolate syrup and small madelene cakes were a firm favourite of my children (well they were on holiday after all!). I can't comment on any other restaurant in the hotel area as we ate in the theme park most nights. One big plus is that the hotel and park are joined onto each other so you can dash in and out as many times as you like. Our favourite was heading out at about 11am, having a great time, coming back at 5pm (ish) for a siesta and chill out then back out for dinner and more shows, rides and fireworks. Older children can have a little bit of independence - a couple of times our son was all roller coasted out and just wanted to relax so he headed off back to the hotel by himself to chill out with his psp. Seeing the fireworks at least once is a must, but be warned, to get a good view you will need to start looking for a place to sit/stand about 10.45 or 11pm, as it gets exceptionally busy. Shows not to be missed are China Town, Aloha Tahiti, Fort Frenzee and Templo del Fuego. Rides not to be missed are Dragon Khan, Hukuran Condor and Stampida."

• Travel date: 21st September 2006

Port Aventura for fun

Reviewed 17th December 2012

"Salou: Universal Studios Port Aventura Hotel: "Fantastic Holiday!" Date: August 31, 2006 Reviewer: Family from N Ireland We have just returned from two weeks at the Port Aventura Hotel that is attached to the Universal Studios Theme Park and Costa Caribe Water Park on the outskirts of Salou. Our hotel accommodation was very good. The rooms were serviced every day. The hotel staff provided excellent service to whatever level was required by us, We paid the Ten Pounds sterling extra per person/stay for the "Premium Service" which gave us personal check in and out, Swimming Pool towels for each member of our party, Bath Robe for each adult, free transport to and from the new Sports Club on Salou's beach front, Breakfast served in the Restaurant, etc etc.We stayed Half Board which was many different food presentations laid out each day. We were just expecting a basic breakfast but it was a lovely Continental spread with Champagne, Cheeses, Pastries, Meats, Fruits etc including, if you wished, a full English breakfast. For dinner we had the choice of a la carte in the Pica Pica Restaurant or the Buffet in the main dining hall. We choose the buffet dinner the first night and the food was so fabulous that we returned there every night and were never disappointed. The two pools were lovely, the main one at the Beach Club meandered for approx. 100 meters with a large number of sun beds and parasols. The children in our party were aged 2, 8 and 12 years and they loved the pools and the various park attractions. They always eagerly looked forward to meeting the cartoon characters like Woody and Winnie Woodpecker, Betty Boop, Pink Panther and Popeye and Olive Oil. We spent so much time at the pool and theme parks that we didn't have time to visit the new Sports Club in Salou. We paid approx £320 per night for each of two bedrooms with half board and Premium Service. which we thought was excellent value. There were 2 large air conditioned double beds/room so four of us shared/room. Even though we have. for many years been frequent travellers to Spain and Florida, overall I would say this was the best holiday we have had as a family group . Perhaps the best part was the convenient unlimited access to the Theme Park that allowed us to pop in and out at our convenience. This was probably the first time we did not hear from the children that they were bored. There were many other attractions available on site for the children but we just didn't have the time to check them out.. We would have no hesitation in returning there for another excellent holiday."

• Travel date: 1st September 2006

Hotels near PortAventura Hotel PortAventura

Top traveller tips for PortAventura Hotel PortAventura

• by KesserMorton

"Buy an express pass for 49 euros at the beginning of your holiday."

• by ladycool

"Ideal if you want to visit the theme park everyday like we did! This way, we were able to take in all the shows as well which were brilliant..."

• by trıcky aj

"I would tell fellow travellers to just go and enjoy and bel?eve what has been wrote"

• by WilCoHols