exterior

• entertainment staff
  • catalan amenities

avoid at all costs

Reviewed 10th August 2016

"We have traveled all round the world but this has to be the worst holiday we have ever been on... this was our children's first holiday and to say it was a let down is a total understatement... we arrived at 10am to check in we waited over 2 hours to check in (only 5 families in front of us) when we did get to the front of the queue we got our breakfast passes etc and waited to be given our water park passes which we was told were included only to be told by the useless receptionist that they were not included and we would have to purchase them AGAIN.... obviously we was not going to do that as we had already spent the best part of 4 grand on a weeks holiday so that was the first time our children were let down... we were also told there was full use of a gym ON SITE which was a big selling point for myself and wife as we are both professional power lifters but yet again that was another lie as we had to pay €10 extra per person per day so that's another €140 on top of our already rip off price... then there's the food which at a push I would say was 2 star the choice if you are foreign is brilliant but for normal people it was the poorest choice I've ever seen.... the rooms are great if we are in the 90s there was no couches like in the brochure and the bedding was never changed by cleaning staff we had to resort to taking bedding off trolleys ourselves and making the beds up (something we should not be having to do on an all inclusive holiday) on the 5th day we saw some profiteroles on the buffet which we grabbed 3 of and proceeded to bite into one only to find it was totally frozen and it ripped half of my tooth out causing severe pain, the buffet manager was about as much use as a chocolate teapot and called me a liar in front of the whole restaurant as 1 of HIS MEMBERS OF STAFF said they were not frozen but they were as they quickly disappeared into the back with the tray and brought out different ones... an incident report was filled out and the hotel WILL be paying for a new tooth when back in the UK... all in all its been the worst holiday ever I could go on but it's pointless as the staff don't care about there customers they just care about raking in the cash.... on a plus side the pool is beautiful but the life guards and rules are a joke you can't take an inflatable into the pool for the kids yet kids and adults can run havoc with high powered water guns if you want an expensive version of Blackpool then book here but if you want a nice family holiday then avoid like the plague!!!!"

• Travel date: 30th July 2016

DISGUSTED EL PASO HOTEL

Reviewed 21st June 2016

"First off all before i start this was our second year at this hotel.. i have just returned back from our 2 week holiday. 1st point, on arrive our rooms weren't ready so had to hang around for 1hr with 4 grumpy kids. 2 point, the food was disgusting same thing over again. Now let me get to the real point why I'm writing this review.. my engagement ring got stolen out my room other things went missing was my daughters camera my sons head phones.. think they were testing the water! As it was the camera that went first... Went to reception to report ring missing.. the staff there were very unhelpful, So i spoke the holiday rep who told me to go and report to police.. Went to the police and whilst there i spoke to one of the staff from El Paso.. On return to the hotel i went up to the room for cream for my daughter, to discover the they had trashed my room. With 3 unauthorized access by the maids.. staff at reception were unhelpful and their attitude was disgusting.. To say i will never return back to this hotel is a understatement. The staff need to learn manners and be more respectful.. "

• Travel date: 1st June 2016

el pas o

Reviewed 22nd February 2016

"Brilliant hotel . really big pool . I went last year 21st to 28th August I had a brilliant time the on,y had thing was u cant get your rooms to 4 o'clock so we got our swimming suit and sun cream the reception was brilliant u can go up to the park at any time i would rate that u should go at night that when i went i went 1 time doing the day for the water rides . u just have to show your room card and go on in I went to the water peak one of the days u have to pay for it but u can get into the theme park all payed for . one thing was the hair dryer steam was coming out of it, and we got a bad room no safe in the room. If so if we ever went again we would ask for one."

• Travel date: 22nd February 2016

Fab hol, great theme park, excellent value.

Reviewed 1st August 2011

"Just got back yesterday from the El Paso & must say its the best A/I we have ever stayed in. Food was self service & never rushed. The main restuarant is huge & self service, so its eat until full! The food was basic but plenty of choice, I especially liked the breakfast pastries & hot pancakes & the salad bar. Local beer,wine & spirits were included & 2 poolside bars, 1 serving a selection of hot & cold snacks open all day & ice-creams on tap, what more can you ask for. Well here's more, all day free entry to the theme park vitually on your doorstep, 3 places to eat & drink for free(& you could pay a few euros for extras not on the set menu)& free cup refill at certain drink stations, it was hard to spend any money! The hotel was friendly, clean, rooms cleaned & towels changed daily, the safe was free,nightly animation was a bit samey but the kids didn't mind,computors available for a small fee & free wi-fi connection in certain areas,2 large pools(a wee bit cold)& a jacuzzi, pool towels available & no fighting for loungers all made this a great, very relaxed hol.1 tip, buy your water park tickets at a discount at the hotel & only go on a windless day as its quite exposed & freezing in a breeze! Food there is also a bit poor but you can rent a locker for your bag & get stamped so you can go next door to eat in the theme park & come back in later. Oh, also you get 60% discount in the hotel on fast passes for the theme park (cost 8 euro each)which is well worth it at this busy time of year. The theme park was great, with a variety of big & small rides & shows, it was like a mini Disney park! Spotlessly clean & very stict about height restrictions on rides made it all feel very safe. Try & see the Bubbalou show in China,we loved it & the fireworks were great.I wouldn't bother going to Salou itself, its dirty & full of 'tat' shops all selling the same stuff, it just made us appreciate our accomodation all the more!! A couple of negatives, there are no tea/coffee making facilties in your room or fridge but not that difficult to live without just would have been nice, some of the rooms seem to be a bit noisy due to paper thin walls(didnt bother us too much though), take mosi repellent or you will be eaten alive & beware of extremely rude spanish guests!! I have never experienced this before but they were out in force - pushing their kids & themselves in front of others, never an apology or even acknowledgement when their rudeness was pointed out, I wouldn't have mentioned it but we are pretty laid back & were losing it by the end of our hol so just be aware. I hate to end on a negative so this is not a reflection on the hotel as the staff there were all lovely & the reps were constantly around & really helpful. All in all this was one of our best holidays by far, 10 minutes from the airport & everything else on the doorstep. Don't be put off by the moaners who pay for 4* & expect the Ritz, this really was great value for money & I'd say hard to beat. Enjoy x "

• Travel date: 28th July 2011

Fabulous

Reviewed 27th June 2011

"I have just returned from the El Paso with my 2 adult children and my grandchildren which range in age from 5 months to 10 years. We had a fantastic time! Even though the hotel is vast, I still felt that my grandchildren were safe to go to the restaurant or the snack bars and that is a major factor in a holiday for me. The hotel is lovely and clean, the staff are really welcoming and nothing seemed to be too much trouble for them.The grounds and the pool area are clean and the food areas are too. As for the food it was fabulous. There was so much to eat and if you didn't like what was on offer at the dining hall, the snacks at the Maya were fine. We loved it that much we are going back again in June next year. Roll on 2012!!"

• Travel date: 25th June 2011

Great holiday, if only the beds were the same!!

Reviewed 1st September 2010

"Just returned from El Paso, our second holiday here the first been in 2007. Upon check in we were given a room with two double beds, unfortunately with two boys aged 13 & 11 this just wasn't going to work so we were given a very large family room on the fith floor after having dragged 4 cases twice to the top floor. The room was very noisy as there was a train line at the front of the hotel and the beds were EXTREMELY uncomfortable like lying on the floor, the pillows were also very hard. The food, hotel & park are all fab, the park did open till 12pm up to the 30th August, we found the best time to go was 5pm when everyone was leaving as you didn't have to wait 2 hours to get on a ride and it was a little cooler. When we went in 07, we had no issues with noise or beds, perhaps because we were put in a room out of the main complex."

• Travel date: 1st September 2010

DISAPPOINTING

Reviewed 17th August 2009

"Read the reviews and was looking forward to going, but a lot of things made this holiday a great disappointment. 1) The length of time it takes to get checked in, we waited 40 mins. 2) The rooms are NOT 4 star, they are basic and smell because the furniture is all wooden, even in the bathroom where it gets wet and stinks like pee! 3) If you get a connecting door in your room like we did the noise from next door can be unbearable. The door is so thin you can hear EVERYTHING. 4) The ground floor rooms have a communal terrace, so there is nowhere to hang your wet towels or swimwear, we dragged the chairs from the room out to hang things on, although you are asked not to. 5) The entertainment is total cack. It is set on a stage which is outside. The mini disco is aimed at French, German and Spanish kids, so mine didn't have a clue what was being said but liked the dancing. After that you have a play (in Spanish) we saw the same one 3 times in 10 days. 6) By far the worst thing is that the park does not open until midnight as stated in the brochure. It is only open until 8pm(until 18th July)which totally ruined the plans we had for lazy pool days and amazing park nights. Please don't read this and think that I'm being picky, I just expect to get the standard that I paid for. There are good points too, 1) The food is really good, there is always something for everyone and we never experienced the queues that I read about in other reviews. 2) The staff at reception are very helpful with train times etc. 3) You must visit Barcelona, Valencia and Tarragona. All very near and very beautiful. 4) Don't pay 80 euro for a late checkout on your room because you can get a 20 minute slot in a courtesy room for free. 5) The pool is lovely and cleaned every day. 6) The park is fabby! Especially the Tatuki Splash, and the fast track passes were great. If you are going to this hotel, then I hope my moans turn out to be just that. If not, then at least I tried to warn you."

• Travel date: 15th August 2009

Hotel el paso

Reviewed 12th June 2009

"We have just returned from a week staying at the El Paso. Our first impressions were good, our room wasnt ready on arrival but a porter looked after our bags and we were given our cards to access portaventura if we wanted to, but we decided to sit by the pool for a couple of hours. The pool area is lovely, loads of available sun beds, huge pool and a kids pool with a pirate ship in which my kids thought was great. Our room was in the main building on the 1st floor and although the room was quite small, we had a double bed and bunks in ours, it was very clean and decorated and furnished very well. We had our room cleaned each day. We were disappointed when we were told we had to choose a time allocation for breakfast each day but all that was available was 8am each morning, a later breakfast time would have been nice. We had read reviews before we went saying about queues at the resturant but we didnt have to queue for any meals. The food wasnt great it was the same tasteless things every day and by the end of the week you never want to see another chip again. On a brighter note the puddings were divine. The kids disco didnt start until 9 15 in the evenins which we found very late and as it was all in spanish my kids didnt enjoy it anyway but as our room overlooked the entertainment area there was never any hope of an early night. On our 4th evening there the weather changed and we had quite a lot of rain and there was nothing to do with the kids in the hotel at all when the weather was bad. We walked in to Salou several times and that is quite a trek from the hotel but it was a nice little town. The best thing about the hotel is the unlimited access to portaventura and the caribe water park, they are both brilliant fun. Overall we had a nice holiday the kids loved the parks and the el paso was an attractive clean hotel but we wouldnt return, i think the el paso is better for the spanish. Also my son is 8 but he is quite short for his age, there isnt an awful lot for small children to go on at Portaventura which he was disappointed about. "

• Travel date: 12th June 2009

Excellent Family Holiday

Reviewed 1st June 2009

"I have been to this hotel and resort twice already, so knew pretty much what to expect! Not a lot has changed the hotel is still cleaned from morning till night, its spotless-there is always someone on reception and they are helpful, the rep was contactable at all times. The food buffet does have a good variety - basic but expectedly so, still plenty of choice - lots for kids, breakfast buffet leaves nothing uncovered literally something for everyone! Only downside is there can be queue's to be seated but go down pretty quick! The Rooms are really nice and clean enough space for all and most have good views and are as quite as can be expected. The theme park was as fab as ever, and also spotlessly clean - the shows are a must! Quite expensive for food / drinks though, would recommend gooing into Salou to buy your own from a supermarket-saves you a lot! The downside was this time the waterpark wasnt open though - a massive disappointment as its very good, ots doesnt open till the 23rd May apparently - we wernt made aware of this which was a bit annoying but never the less, still enough to keep amused. The Beach is lovely and Salou provides a nice walk with bars and shops!! Excellent for families - we will be back (when water park is open though) "

• Travel date: 29th May 2009

We had high expectations for this holida...

Reviewed 10th September 2008

"We had high expectations for this holiday and we were not disappointed! Had a brilliant 1 week stay at the El Paso and will be returning next year. I can't understand why this is the cheapest of the 3 hotels on site as it is situated in an excellent location, 5 mins walk from the park; even quicker if you catch the land train and off the beaten track unlike the Caribe Hotel surrounded by main roads. Staff spoke excellent English (felt guilty that we as a nation don't speak more languages but I tried to speak the basics ) and were very helpful throughout our stay. The room was basic but cleaned daily with fresh towels provided. The buffet food was excellent with a great range. Try the coconut mousse, it is the business! Worth doing this package simply for all the perks which alone would have cost £300+. We all got 2 fast track passes to the top 8 rides (which was good as our kids are 7 and 2 and couldn't do the big rides so we went Dragon Khan crazy!!), unlimited theme park entry, 1 day pass to the Caribe Water Park and access to the Beach Club. Few elements at the Water Park that were a bit of a con. Loungers cost 4 euros to hire but there are deckchairs that are free. Big rubber rings cost 6 euros + 3 euros deposit and double rings cost 9 euros + 3 euros deposit. We were under the impression you needed a ring to do the big slides but this is not the case. Don't leave your rings unattended, they will be stolen though probably returned at some point as you need your receipt to claim your deposit back! Beach Club is fantastic and the perfect opportunity for our kids to have a day at the beach and then unwind later in the pools. We just waited outside the hotel and sure enough a land train or small coach comes to collect you - simple. Food and drink in the park is pretty pricey, average snack meal costs 9 euros with ice cream starting at 1.80euro. If you go before 1st Sept, stay to watch the amazing firework and light show in Mediterranea at 11.45pm! Only gripes were that the kids entertainment started in the hotel at 9.15pm, bit late for little ones and that without wanting to generalise the Spanish tourists were incredibly rude, obviously never heard of queuing! "

• Travel date: 10th September 2008

just returned after reading mostly possi...

Reviewed 8th September 2008

"just returned after reading mostly possitive reports on the el paso. we were not disapointed. kids age 10 and 12 had a wonderful time. deffinatly worth going half board, as food was good and eating out can work out expensive. went first week in sept and would chhoose the same week again, as hotel was quieter, park did close at 8 tho, but to compensate, water park is free after sept 1st all in all had a great time."

• Travel date: 8th September 2008

Returned from 1 week holiday. 2 adults ...

Reviewed 4th August 2008

"Returned from 1 week holiday. 2 adults and 2 children aged 7yrs. Had a fab time. Hotel lovely and our room was great. Double bed and bunk beds and was very clean. Bathroom was airy and quite large and we all had our own free toiletries bag. Pool was lovely and spacious but we had to face the usual - towels put over sun loungers the night before so it was a hit or miss whether you could actually get a sun bed if you went down to the pool after 11 am. Meals were not too good. Breakfast was not worth the bother as the food was cold by the time you queued and got to your table. Evening dinner was okay but they did put on wonderful salads. All in all, we would definately go back to PortAventura but fancy trying one of the other hotels within the complex."

• Travel date: 4th August 2008

Hotels near PortAventura Hotel El Paso

Top traveller tips for PortAventura Hotel El Paso

• by Keanna B

"Make sure their maids aren't theifs."

• by Megan J

"i loved the pool it was really big lake and going to the theme park every night "

• by Caz

"Visit the theme park, check out the queues for the rides you want to do then buy fast passes for your next visit at 8 euro each in the hotel..."

• by lisashane

"Theme parks are great but not if you are below 140cm."

PortAventura Hotel El Paso is also called