Ontario Apartments

Rc. De La Costa , Vacationals Tutistics Houses , 43480 , Salou , Costa Dorada , Spain , Europe

best so far

Good

"This was my first trip to mainland Spain, though I've had around a dozen holidays in Majorca and Menorca.
The apartment;
There were three of us in a two bedroom apartment, so it felt quite spaceous.
One bedroom had a double bed, 2 bedside cupboards and a wardrobe with around 20 coathangers, the second was a twin room with a central bedside cupboard, but no wardrobe.
A large-ish lounge has a sofa bed with pull-out bed and a 4 drawer/door cabinet.
The kitchen has a double sink (no drainer)- and there was always hot water, a fridge freezer, an extractor fan and a two ring electric hob. Although it only has 2 rings, they do heat up fairly quickly and are easier to control than the usual electric hob. You also get a microwave with grill, and a toaster. You get two large casserole dishes, (the smallest being around 8" diameter) and a big frying pan (we had two, but they wouldn't have fitted on the cooker at the same time). You had to heat the kettle on the hob and there was no teapot.
The bathroom was an adequate size with storage under the sink, but there was no lock on the bathroom door.
There was an air conditition unit in the kitchen/lounge but when we went to hire the remote for it was told it's not available after the end of September !
We were in the first block, above the shop which we found to be the cheapest of the six or so supermarkets in Cap Salou.
There are a few shops and a few eating places scattered about. There is a large beach about a 10 minute walk from the apartment, where you can hire loungers, parasols - or a pedalo for a hour. It's also lovely when the sun's setting over the hills. We walked back from Salou along the coast which is a nice walk, although it takes about 40 minutes and there are a few steps to climb/descend.
The bus stops are a two minute walk from the apartments. There are buses to Salou every few minutes from about 7am 'til 11pm. It takes around 10-15 minutes and costs about 1pound 20p each way. It's quite a long resort, with plenty of shops, selling anything from clothes to the usual tat."

• Travel date: Sat 20th of October 2007

This is a Warning!

"Ok, now this is the first time ive needed to add a review on a holiday i have taken. Believe me this must be without doubt the worst 3* Hotel i have ever stayed in, (and i have stayed at plenty).
The 3* status should never be, i am not exagerating by stating that i have stayed in better "Backpacker's Hostels" than this so called 3* Hotel !! This should be downgraded with immediate effect, perhaps a minus 1* would be more appropriate.

My wife & i arrived at reception (if thats what you call it) to book in and was greeted by a scruffy unhelpful individual behind the counter. Instead of a " Welcome" we had " Passport & 100Euros Please"!!! before we even had chance to put our bags down!. Nice!

We were then directed to our "Self Catering Appartment" which on the whole was clean, the maids did change the towels/sheets every day bar Thursdays & Sundays as stated. Not really what i would call Self Catering as all you had was 2 electric rings (no grill), microwave was dirty on arrival so didn't use that. The Hotel itself is very basic, the food looked awful, i watched in horror as a guy was trying to force himself to eat some salad which looked just as limp as John Bobbett's genitals!!!
We spoke to Laura (First Choice Rep) who was friendly and pleasant, even Laura agreed with us that this so called hotel was abismal! The entertainment was just as weak as the lager. The Pool looked clean, not big enough though in my opinion for the amount of people this place could hold. Music all day by the pool was annoying as the same music was repeated every day!
Music all day by the pool was annoying as the same music was repeated every day!Music all day by the pool was annoying as the same music was repeated every day!
Music all day by the pool was annoying as the same music was repeated every day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bugs doesn't it?? I would strongly recommend staying well away from this Hotel. This place should be used as a REHAB clinic for the Overweight & Alcholics! You would'nt eat the food & the booze is just P155 water!! You'd soon go back dryer than a new towel from M&S and a size 0 in clothes! So, anyone with half an ounce of sense, believe me this is not for you! Spend a little extra and stay elsewhere.
Salou itself was very nice, clean beach, nice bars on the front, plenty of shops all around which stocked plenty, impressed with the shopping. Cap Salou was nice also, a couple of recommendations for food would be Route 66 (really friendly & helpful, food was really nice also, say hi to Ella for me). Also the Paddock done the meanest Steak Pie which was delicious.
I'd certainly visit Salou again but this time without the cheap option of the ""ONTORRIBLE Appartments""!!
Regards."

• Travel date: Fri 19th of October 2007

Ontario Apartments

"Just returned from the ontario apartments 21 August. I was a bit worried about going there after reading reviews but I soon changed my mind. The apartments were spacious although only one cupboard in main bedroom could do with more for family of four. The cleaners came in everyday except Thursday and Sunday but for all they did I dont know why they bothered, our room was never cleaned or the bedding changed the sheets were left on the bed, we told reception and the rep but the laugh was they finally came to do it the day before we left. The lifegaurd was a bit over the top the second he saw someone with a t-shirt on they were told to get it off, so why were the reps allowed to wear on the pool party days, he also kept telling people to move sunbeds because they were in front of him. The menu in the bar was limited and on a Sunday dont expect much pizza or chips as the cook is off, at lunchtime we went to the sunclub down the road. At night there is a lovely bar called the tap house in Cap Salou just down the road cannot fault one meal we had even my son who is a fussy eater found something . Sammy the entertainer was brill he went round shaking your hand and having a chat again on his day off no kids disco ect ( no one else do do it ) even the shows on that night had to see to everything for themselves. The theme park was brill go in the late afternoon less people and stay for the fireworks at midnight( not to be missed ). All in all my family had a great time and we would go back."

• Travel date: Tue 28th of August 2007

Ontario Appts - your typical package holiday?

"Ok, where do I start?
Bar closes 12am with lights out 20 mins later, so if you are looking for a late drink make sure you visit the supermercat attached to the appartments (Just over €15 for a litre of Baileys and €2.99 for a pint bottle of Bulmers/Magners which costs €5.50 at the bar for the same bottle).
If you are drinking pints of beer I suggest you bring your own pint glass as on numerous occasions I was met with plastic tumblers for my pint!
On arrival, safe didn't work, microwave out of order and toaster broken - though in fairness these were remedied when brought to the attention of the front desk.
If you look forward to a nice cool evening's dip in the pool after a day in Porta Ventura's park you may forget it - the pool closes at 7pm! You are not allowed to wear tea-shirts in the pool, even if your kids need protection from sunburn on their shoulders: I was told this was unhygienic? If this was the case why was it not enforced for all?
Towels & bin liners changed but bed linen was left untouched (maids didn't seem to have any set times so arrived sometimes early morning and other times late afternoon).
It took us almost a week to get an extra pillow after contacting the front desk many times explaining we were sleeping 6 fully paid people in our twin apartment and the couch/bed had no pillow. One bed had a bed cover - the rest had only sheets, though it was warm at night).
Air conditioning unit (kitchen area) was fine in kitchen but did not work very well cooling the 2 bedrooms and bathroom at all.
Toilet/bathroom very small and no window or ventilation!
And guys what is the story with no washing machine/dryer or launderette? Only one we could locate in Cap Salou was 15 mins walk away (Try hauling laundry for a family of 5 for 30 mins in searing heat and you will understand what I mean!!)
Food was average, but there was a very nice restaurant nearby in the village of Cap Salou which served fine food and drink at very reasonable rates - €80 to €100 for party of 11 ('Route 66') - we dined out here for most of our holiday and sometimes in Salou itself on the promenade at 'Tahitti'. (Same rates)
The only redeeming feature of these apartments was the local entertainment, namely 'Sammy': Always Happy and cheery with residents, Sammy works extremely hard to entertain all the folks from morning to night, with pool aerobics, darts, water polo, kiddies disco and various nightly entertainment: Hats off to Sammy, 'Ladies & Gentlemens' - just one thing, the music cd could do with being changed every now and again for a bit of variety!
So, would I return? Well to Salou, yes, but next time I think I would pay the extra to stay at one of the Port Aventura Park's 4 -star hotels. Ontario may be the typical family apartment holiday and some people may be fine with that - but I think for a few Euro more it would be worth it to upgrade and take the hassle and let- downs out of your family holiday."

• Travel date: Sun 19th of August 2007

Typical Package Holiday Place

"We're mid 30s with a 10 year old boy. This was our first "package" holiday in years and it was dirt cheap.

It turned out exactly as I expected a cheap package holiday would be .. loud reps, tacky entertainment, kid friendly and sunny. I liked the fact we had a fairly large 2 bed appartment among the three of us .. could have been cleaner but heck I don't live there permanently, was only in it at night, it wasn't a dump and considering the price - fair enough!

What was really good was that Cap Salou is a terrific little village with reasonable restaurants (recommend Smugglers Inn). Some really quiet small beaches in walking distance. The bus service is fantastic and nearby La Pineda has waterpark and proper restaurant quality food in the "Waterfront" ! Bus also takes you straight to Port Adventura (brilliant). Better yet, take the bus to Barcelona. Its less than 2 hours and one of my favourite cities. We stayed overnight and it felt like a holiday within a holiday. If you are into football, reps can organise FC Barcelona match tickets. We were quoted €80 including bus which I thought was great value as tix on the teams website started at €85!

Things I liked about the Ontario itself were internet access right in the bar area (€1/10mins €6per hr), supermarket on site (and cheaper than Tesco!) and those hard working reps did stop around midnight and peaceful sleep is guaranteed.

So all in all, yes the Ontario is your typical package holiday place to kip, very family orientated and with all the things to do around you its wonderfully located and a really good price."

• Travel date: Wed 22nd of November 2006

Bring your rubber gloves to the ontario appartments

"We have just landed home to night after spending a week in the Ontario Appartments in Cap Salou and I just wanted to share my experience of what you can expect from an accomodation that is rated at 3 star.
During our weeks stay the only thing that changed was our towels, and the bin liners ,the bed linen was not changed despite several complaints to reception staff that were anything but helpful and mannerly. When I asked for a cloth to clean the work tops and sink area that hadnt been touched by the maids I was told to buy it myself...I asked our rep to look into this but unless I wanted an ant party I decided to go and buy the cloth and bleach myself....I should have presented them to the bar staff and they in turn could clean the green tables that we had to sit at while we were supposed to sit and listen to the entertainers making silly snide jokes about the Irish..and charge money to pay bingo and deal or no deal every night, having a conversation during these games was literally impossible and continued up until 12am and then the bar was closed and lights out at 12.30!!!
During the day there was still no peace with loud music and more silly games...
The pool is the smallest I have ever seen and that suited us fine as our daughter is 8 and not a strong swimmer, but we did have the pressence of a lifeguard daily, who prohibited any sort of diving due to the pool been so shallow, ball playing was ok tho if the male lifeguard was on duty!!!
Cap salou itself is a nice area and we did get some lovely meals in the Tap House restaurant, where the staff were nice and friendly but everthing does close down at 12 and a trip to Salou is necessary if you want choice and variety but beware of the pickpockets they are everywhere!!
We had a fantastic day on the Jeep Adventure and would like to thank our driver Roy for keeping us so clean and been such a good sport...
We had a lovely time despite the severe lack of cleanliness in the complex (the pool was cleaned daily) thanks to meeting a lovely cople and their kids from Omagh and we made the most of it but am glad to be getting into a clean bed for the first time in a week...Put it like this I would not go back to these appartments if I was paid, and I wasnt the only one to compain and I holiday every year in the sun and this is the first time that I have ever felt the need to let people know a few things that the brochures omit....If you have already booked just bring your rubber gloves, bleach and a cloth......0h and ear muffs for the entertainment especially if you are Irish........"

• Travel date: Tue 5th of September 2006

Lovely Holiday

"Our stay at the Ontario Appartments was absolutely brilliant. It was in an ideal location, of the small town/villiage of Cap Salou. We had easy access using the bus to the livlier town of Salou where there were a great selection of shops and bars. The appartments were spacious, airey and well kept with all the facilities we needed during our stay. The hotel provided excellent family entertainment throughout the day and the evening. The only thing we could complain about were the lifts. At times, you thought you were going to get stuck in them and being on the top floor, this was sometimes a bit scary!

All in all, an excellent holiday. Brilliant value for money."

• Travel date: Mon 17th of July 2006

Chavtastic

"This was the worst holiday I was ever on thanks to the staff and reps at the Ontario. I was put in the 1st block which happens to be right above the bar. Some might say this is fine but not if you have 2 very young children with you and you are looking for a relaxing break. We didn't get to sleep before 1am any night we stayed there and the staff couldn't care less mainly because they were the ones making all the noise. During the day big speakers were wheeled out beside the pool so there was no peace then either. The best part of this holiday was getting on the plane to come home. Salou itself is an ugly mass of concrete and the whole place reminded me of one huge pound shop. I would avoid this whole area like the plague. Needless to say I will not be returning."

• Travel date: Wed 15th of February 2006

1st class

Good

"went in a party of 4. staff were very friendly and helpful. the reps were always around and also very helpful.
the apartment we stayed in was really nice apart from a damaged table and door.
the entertainment was very good every nite and the bar prices were very good.
the pool was large but not very deep. the only critisism i can think of is that the food from the bar wasnt the nicest and there was limited choice (although there is a very good supermarket outside and loads of nice places 2 eat out)
wud defently go back!"

• Travel date: Thu 27th of October 2005

Great for families

Good

"I have just arrived back from the ontario, Salou. The apartments were well maintained each day with the beds being made, clean towels and the floors sweeped and cleaned. The staff were very friendly, the pool was fairly big there seemed to be enough sunbeds for everybody staying in the complex.

The entertainment started around 9pm each night and finished at 12 midnight, the main show would start at 11pm."

• Travel date: Fri 22nd of July 2005

appartments

"we were not happy with he appartments as when we got there our room had no safty deposit box,no air con,window would not shut and lock,the cooking facilitys are crap a 2 ring stove to cook for 8 people not enough,no bedding changed which is discussting, then decided to move us to another room which was a little bit better but still only got 2 ring stove still no bedding changed that for 2 weeks,then the toaster broke it kept blowing electrics so i told them can we have another they said we had got to hire one what a laugh,do not recamend going to these appartments only if you dont mind what you stay in.the view was poor looking at another hotel no view"

• Travel date: Wed 17th of August 2011

the best holiday ever!

"this was my best holiday ever! i traveled with a family of 3 an 11 year old child, an adult and a senior
the staff were SOOOO friendly and the rooms are sooo clean and there is entertainment for 11am to 3pm in the afternoon and then there is entertainment from 8:30pm til midnight
we got a 2 week pass for portaventura because it is much cheaper and we went at night time because its to warm in the day to go on the rides
we went to the fire show, western show and polinisan dancers and it was amazing!
we went to aquapolis twice and had and had a great time the dolphin and sea lion show is amazing!

the beach is a 5 mintues walk from the hotel and its a lovely beach!
i was reading reviews about the pool being to small but i thought it was big enough and at 2pm everyday there was a game of water polo
DONT USE THE LIFTS!
5 ppl got stuck in it for 30 mintues and they were struggling to breathe and when you go in it they jump about like bad

we went to uncle sams the night before we left and it was gorgeous and it wasnt expensive

anyways we had a fabulous holiday and the weather was excellent!
would definately go back"

• Travel date: Tue 5th of July 2011

Hotels near Ontario Apartments

Stayed at Ontario Apartments? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Ontario Apartments

• linda K by linda K

"route 66 do an excellent breakfast. we took a bus into barcelona to the football stadium. "

• GGx09 by GGx09

"The restraunt smugglers and the crows nest are good for food and entertaimnet "

• Christopher:) by Christopher:)

"The 19th Hole stood out if you want a taste of home eventhough its a scottish restaurant. "

• leesam by leesam

"nice coves, nothing much for younger end "

• leesam by leesam

"treasure island,smugglers, capsalou cove beach "

• div129 by div129

"Hilly - Cap Salou. Busy - Salou. "

• div129 by div129

"Route 66, The Smugglers Inn. "

• R by R

"Excellent for families "

• robs by robs

"steep hill down to cap salou "

• luther by luther

"clean friendly good value for money "

• Alison Larkhall Scotland by Alison Larkhall Scotland

"cap salou is great, just not the ontario hotel "

• big matt by big matt

"nice relaxing family holiday "

• kellyd9 by kellyd9

"just go into salou centre no life in cap salou "