Magnolia Hotel

Madrid 8, 43840 Salou Spain

Good

great for a short break

"I went to Salou & stayed at the Magnolia for 2 nights with 3 friends to celebrate my birthday. I didn't really know what to expect from Salou or the hotel, but was pleasantly suprised by both.

The photos & reviews are correct. It's in a central location & it was great for a 2 night break out of season. There weren't lots of bars/
restaurants open but there was enough to do for 2 nights & the weather was warm & Sunny.

Highly recommend it for a short break out of season."

• Travel date: Fri 21st of March 2008

Fantastic hotel

"We stayed in this hotel last year for a much needed weekend away from kids for a rest. It was fantastic. The rooms are gorgeous. The staff were lovely and the food was nice. V central. Near bars, restaurants and beach.... I have stayed in two of port aventura hotels and this is much nicer. There were no children there when we stayed there. It is not really suitable for them. No kiddies pool etc. V quite hotel. This suited us at the time we went but would not bring young children to it. So if you are looking for a fantastic adult only hotel this is it! V stylish hotel."

• Travel date: Fri 11th of January 2008

Gorgeous Hotel!

Good

"I chose the Magnolia because it had such good reviews here and I wasn't disappointed. I work in the travel trade so always get a bit nervous booking my own holidays and had suggested Salou to my boyfriend so if it was awful it was my fault! But we had the best time. The Magnolia is so clean and modern, we had room 201 which was a corner room so had a huge terrace overlooking pretty trees, some apartments and a pool belonging to another complex. The bed was huge and the shower was to die for, with lots of space to get ready in the main part of the bathroom!
Dinner was really cheap, they have a set menu then certain dishes have supplements that you add on. We got a bottle of rose for 7.50!! I thought it was 7.50 a glass! It wasn't the best wine but so cheap. The courses were a bit small although you can stock up on your first course which is a buffet style. The staff were very nice and you can use the internet to check emails etc in the lobby, 1 euro for 20 minutes.
There are a lot of tacky shops and fast food outlets on the strip (2 minutes walk from the hotel but you don't hear any noise) but we found a really nice steak restuarant and a lovely cafe with gorgeous pasta/pizza. The beach was lovely, so clean and we had great weather. The promenade has lovely palm trees as far as the eye can see and at night the fountains are lit up and coloured. The booze is so cheap! Three times the amount of vodka you'd get here in Dublin with a 7Up was only 5 Euro.
You can get the bus to Port Aventura which takes only 10 minutes and costs 1.55 each on the strip across from McDonalds. We loved it so much we went twice, Sunday the queues were quite long but Wednesday was really quiet and we got on everything within 10 minutes. You can pay for a fast pass though which is 20 Euro although midweek you'd probably only need this in busy summer months.
The only thing we found a bit puzzling was that the fitness area/pool only opens at 5pm till 9pm - my boyfriend wanted to use the gym but between those hours we were out or getting ready to go out. But we would definitely go back to the Magnolia, it was so lovely and chilled out, my man was v impressed! The location cannot be beaten."

• Travel date: Thu 4th of October 2007

Excellent for a weekend break

"Based on previous Trip Advisor reviews my wife and I decided to book a holiday at the Magnolia. We have just returned from a 4 day break and I have to say I am so pleased that we followed other peoples advice - what a hidden gem it is. Salou is everything you expect from a Spanish Costa resort, cheap food, cheap beer etc, every other building is a fast food joint or "restaurant". That said the beachfront area has enjoyed a makeover in recent years and is trying to improve its image. The Magnolia however is something else, set in a secluded position 200 metres from the beach (very clean by the way) it is everything you could want to relax and unwind. Huge rooms, massive comfortable beds, pillows to suit all tastes and a shower/bathroom/vanity area which wouldn't be out of place in a big city 5 star hotel. The buffet breakfast was a varied mix of quality foods, with the emphasis on healthy eating. The pool area is ideal for relaxing in the sun, with a cold drink in hand and the double size sponge sunbeds are a welcome addition if you fancy stretching out for a snooze. I would urge you to try this hotel, its not the cheapest option, but, from the moment you arrive the staff are friendly and helpful and the fact that there where no children (mine are to old to holiday with us now) makes it all the more worthwhile. We will certainly be going back next year in May/Sept to avoid the crowds, if you can I highly recommend that you do the same, believe me, you wont be disappointed."

• Travel date: Tue 18th of September 2007

Amazed At Quality For Such A Good Deal

"Just had a weekend in Salou with friends and stayed at Hotel Magnolia. I hadn't stayed in Salou before and given my experience of anything short of 5 star hotels in Spain, I wasn't expecting too much.

On arrival late at night, I was greeted by an efficient and friendly check-in, the amenties were explained to me etc. The hotel is decked out modern, clean, fresh with white walls, chrome, glass, plasma TVs, wooden screens and rattan chairs etc. I was very impressed. The appearance and sense of calm was of a 5 star hotel. In fact, this place surely only fails to meet 5 star because of the lack of 24hr menu, business centre etc.

The rooms were equally impressive. The typical L shaped room with bathroom in the corner, but larger than average and with clean, fresh interiors. The bathroom had a seperate frosted glass door for the WC, as did the "wet room" which was as big as the bathroom itself and included a large bath. Rooms also have a large desk with internet connection, flatscreen TV and a large balcony (one of our party had a large wrap around terrace)

Breakfast was good. It wasn't the best but I enjoyed it every day. The hotel is a 1 min walk down the road to the beach and we could see the sea from our balcony. We didn't try the "spa" but I spotted spa staff in white and the steam room etc was good I am told. Steps lead straight out onto the decked pool area with terrace, comfy loungers etc. Great. One of the best pools I have chilled out besides.

The odd thing about this hotel though is the location. I absolutely hated Salou. It is like something from the package holiday 70's, old buildings, tatty and full of lagered up Brits. An example was on a couple of occasions, fellow Brits hearing us speak, then saying "Are you English?" and hearing we were, saying "thank god for that!"??? "Eh??" I thought, "you're in Spain!!". It made me embarassed to be British.

I also have to say that outside the hotel, the food was diabolical. I can't speak for everywhere because I didn't try everywhere, but what I did eat was vile. Think fry ups and cheap "tapas" designed for tourists.

So, if you're going to Salou and have no choice but to go, stay at Hotel Magnolia. It's an oasis in an otherwise awful Spanish holiday resort. It's such a shame that the Magnolia can't relocate itself, but then it might have some proper competition!"

• Travel date: Mon 11th of June 2007

Fantastic Boutique Hotel

"This hotel is absolutely beautiful, especially for the price. The interior is modern, clean and well designed. The staff were friendly, the rooms were large, the beds were amazing and the bathroom was huge, with marble countertops. The shower was a big walk-in with glass doors.

Although I like the typical eggs and bacon style breakfasts, the breakfast served was also good. Very healthy and fresh foods were served."

• Travel date: Thu 26th of April 2007

Class

"Stayed here for two nights in March and woukd recommend it to anyone staying in Salou. Clean excellent service excellent food and excellent value for money. The only downside was the thin walls which meant I was awoken each morning by the neighboring rooms early morning call. He obviously had little faith in the alarm call as he also set his phone alarm and then the snooze button. Apart from the very thin walls can honestly say probably the best value for money hotel I have ever stayed in. The food in the restaurant was outstanding, yes there were some supplements but nothing excessive. It was also good they had obviously taken on board previous comments and had menus printed in several languages including English."

• Travel date: Fri 6th of April 2007

bargain boutique hotel - modestly priced - stylish surroundings

"I stayed at the Magnolia for 2 nights late September 2006. I can honestly say that it is one of the nicest seaside resort hotels I have stayed in for a while. Excellent value for money - the whole place is stylishly designed and feels much more expensive than it really is. The main foyer, lounge bar area and restaurant are all comfortable, and the exterior patio and pool area are clean and tidy (The pool is open all night too!) The rooms are lovely, very clean and well designed, bathrooms are gorgeous and feel very luxurious with large walk in shower area and vanity unit. Comfy bed with 'pillow menu' available - nice touch. Huge balcony with rattan funiture.

Breakfast was delicious selection of Continental foods. Very high standard.

This hotel was situated a very short walk to the beach, I would say in the nicer part of town, close to shops and restaurants."

• Travel date: Tue 2nd of January 2007

Fantastic

"This hotel is a little treasure in Salou. It stands out from the rest by a mile.

This hotel is very modern, with fantastic bathrooms. The staff were friendly and the rooms were always kept very clean. The complimentary olive oil was a nice touch too! Great value for money as it felt like a top class hotel but without the prices. It is two minutes walk to the beach and depending on where your room is, you may be able to see the sea from your balcony.

I'd suggest going B&B here, as the breakfast are tasty and the buffet is varied. We didn't dine here in the evening as the place tended to lack atmosphere and there are plenty of restaurants to choose from in the town.

Parking could be a problem in season, as all the street parking is on meters.

The pool wasn't open till 5pm, which was strange, so hence we never used it, being October. Also, the gym is quite small but the steam room and sauna were meant to be nice."

• Travel date: Mon 20th of November 2006

Magnolia - quality 'designer' hotel

"We stayed in the Magnolia Hotel Salou, and were most impressed - mind you, we did benefit from a cheap off-peak deal. We chose it because it did not try to attract children, and it is certainly designed for adult clientele.
It was spotlessly clean, had very friendly staff, the breakfast was fine (buffet style with choice of hot food as well) and the room was large, well-appointed, with a huge comfortable bed and a stylish bathroom and wet room.
A block from the beach, it is in the quieter, more civiliseed part of town."

• Travel date: Tue 24th of October 2006

Not Good

"The walls are so thin that you hear everthing going on in the next room and I do mean everything! It is the only hotel that I know who make a 1 euro charge each time you change a pool towels also a 10 euro deposit on top of this. Breakfast is good dinner is very poor ( yet more supplements ) the restaurant has the ambiance and caharm of a motorway cafe. Everything is charged for, parking 10 euro per day, safe 5 euro per day. We have stayed at many Sercotel hotels and this is about the worst. Silly things like tissues 1 pack of 4 used on day 1 but never replaced. The heated pool is not heated, hell it sounds as if I am just moaning. Well I can say that the lifts are very efficient I think I may move from my room into one."

• Travel date: Sat 28th of March 2009

Hotels near Magnolia Hotel

Stayed at Magnolia Hotel? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Magnolia Hotel

• mikedb by mikedb

"Salou is a very nice town, good restaurants and cafes "

Magnolia Hotel is also called