This hotel is great for families, I’ve...

Reviewed Thu 2nd of February 2006

"This hotel is great for families, I’ve never seen such a high standard of cleaning both in and around the hotel. The food is nice yet is repetitive, there are plenty of English bars close by to eat in.

The complex is well maintained, close to beach and all staff are polite. There’s a park within hotel, two large pools one has a bar in it. We loved it so much we cant wait to go back there in summer. I’d recommend anyone to go there for a great relaxing holiday in such a clean posh hotel."

• Travel date: Thu 2nd of February 2006

The hotel was reasonably clean, towels w...

Reviewed Wed 4th of January 2006

"The hotel was reasonably clean, towels were changed daily. Those were the good points.

The staff were not helpful, the pools were freezing cold, the food was not edible most of the time, and rather repetitive. The entertainment was not entertaining and was not English.

The hotel was full of flies wanting to have a meal off you. Would not recommend this hotel to anyone."

• Travel date: Wed 4th of January 2006

Would never reccomend this hotel, not even to my worst enemy

Reviewed Fri 16th of November 2012

"We arrived at the California Gardens Hotel on Oct 3rd, I realise it was near end of season but this Hotel was the worst I have ever experienced, and ruined my break. The staff were very rude, they had no time for the British or Irish, and if you have children then forget about it, the rooms are very small and pokey, tiles coming away in the bathroom, the locks both on the bathroom door and balconey door were broken, we were put in a room that got no light at any time during the day. Most of the clients at the hotel were seniors even though the tour company advertised it as a family orientated hotel and even offered free child places. We were half board but we may as well have gone for self catering as the food was inedible, all food especially the breakfasts were cold and under cooked. The drink in the bar was at least 50c dearer than the other places in the area and the pool bar was closed, the evening entertainment was to be desired, the bar stopped serving at 12am and you were expected. The childrens play area consisted of a rusty swing, rusty see saw, rusty roundabout and broken trampoline. The mini Golf was flooded and couldn't be used."

• Travel date: Wed 26th of October 2005

Had a great time

Reviewed Sat 13th of October 2012

"I visited the hotel from 26th September for a week with my 9yr old daughter and my boyfriend.
We had read all previous reviews so we were very open minded about what to expect.
We have very little to complain about, our room was spacious and clean, towels changed frequently. In fact most of the hotel was very clean (the toilets in reception sometimes left us hurrying to our room!)
Food...Yes it was a little repeatative but we never went hungry, (beware of the bread rolls they could break your teeth they were very hard). On a whole the staff were friendly, but like another reviewer we found them to prefer any other nationalities apart from the British
We all had a great time sitting around the pool nearly every day,except when we visited Port Adventura and the neighbouring water park.
Considering what was paid for the holiday we believe it to have been excellent value for money."

• Travel date: Tue 18th of October 2005

Rude staff, undercooked food.

Reviewed Fri 16th of November 2012

"I went in October when the hotel was obviously running down as it was due to close for the season in a couple of weeks. The breakfast food was undercooked and cold. British travellers were put in the furthest block and we had a flight of stairs with no lift/ramp for buggies to get out to it. Entertainment was geared to the older Spanish visitors and hotel workers were very rude, unhelpful and inconsiderate – if you have small children be prepared to be stared at a lot by the workers, Spanish and German guests. If you are a non-smoker, don’t go there. All the rooms and buildings stink. The bar is very over priced. The restaurant is chaotic and there is a free-for all with fighting and barging over the food and table availability."

• Travel date: Tue 18th of October 2005

We thought it was OK

Reviewed Wed 28th of November 2012

"Paid £145 for a week HB thro go2spain for a family of four. Room OK, clean and of reasonable size. Food a bit repetitive but plenty of choice maybe not aimed at British tastes but always pasta, chips, veg, fresh cooked meat or fish..bolognese every night is bolognese night Plenty of desserts but again mostly continental style. Fresh fruit at dinner but strangely not for breakfast. Hot beverage machines unreliable but plentiful so just have to hunt one down thats still got what u need. Drinks like all hotels expensive in the restaurant nad bar. Good pools ( lifeguard always around) and jacuzzis- indoor pool is 2.8 euros for an hour if it piddles down-Staff and most of guests are Spanish so dont plan your life around the hotel unless u r a chubby 4'6" 80 year old biddy who incidentally hunt in packs in the buffet!! Its metres from the shops, restaurants and bars, 5 minutes from the excellent child friendly beach ( lots of climbing apparatus and play areas) and about 6 euros in a taxi from Universal. Staff were mostly friendly, but not too keen to speak English although they undertsand pretty welll For what we paid we were well pleased. weather was unsettled to say the least but when the sun was out it was gr8 round the pools. So in conclusion, clean well maintained good location reasonable food quality and being a buffet u can eat as much as u like."

• Travel date: Sat 15th of October 2005

The Hotel was kept spotless, clean towel...

Reviewed Fri 30th of September 2005

"The Hotel was kept spotless, clean towels daily, maid service every other day. The food was terrible, cold and little choice. There was no choice for children, our kids lived on bread rolls in the restaurant. The Hotel was situated in three blocks with the British situated furthest away from the main building. There is an indoor pool but you have to pay by the hour to enter.

The Hotel is situated close to the resort centre and a 10 minute walk to the beach.

The entertainment was all Spanish or French. I would not recommend this Hotel to friends or family to avoid disappointment.

• Travel date: Fri 30th of September 2005

Have just returned from a week at Jaime...

Reviewed Fri 30th of September 2005

"Have just returned from a week at Jaime 1. The hotel was kept quite clean but there was no air conditioning, no extractor fan in the bathroom and the only way of getting any air was to open the balcony door.

Consequently the room was hot and damp with paper thin walls so that it was very noisy. Some nights we got very little sleep due to this. The food was terrible- mostly over salted, over cooked and cold. There was also a bad fly problem with flies allowed to crawl all over the food- no covers and no fly killer units.

We had to eat out most of the time despite being half board. The outdoor pools were large and freezing cold - you had to pay by the hour for the heated indoor pool, but were clean and well maintained. I would not use this hotel again due to the food and the noise.

• Travel date: Fri 30th of September 2005

The Hotel is massive and is an excellent...

Reviewed Wed 31st of August 2005

"The Hotel is massive and is an excellent choice of resort with 2 large pools and 5 bars. It also boasts a heated indoor pool.

The staff are very helpful especially the cleaners who do a very good job.

The food tends to be monotonous and is nothing spectacular but you will not go hungry and there is something for everyone.

The location is right in the centre of Salou approx 5mins from the centre and within walking distance to Port Aventura. The noise levels are fine and you would think the rooms were soundproof.

• Travel date: Wed 31st of August 2005

My family and I have just returned from...

Reviewed Sat 31st of July 2004

"My family and I have just returned from a two week holiday in Salou staying at the Jamie 1 Hotel. Overall we found the hotel unfriendly toward British guests. The children’s club was unreliable and very poor. Entertainment was in Spanish or French. Very little space in the rooms due to arrangement of beds. Don’t trust the safety deposit boxes that are supplied. Overall I was disappointed and couldn’t in all honesty recommend this hotel as the base for a family holiday."

• Travel date: Sat 31st of July 2004