About Hotel Best San Diego

• darts
  • tv channel one russia
  • tv rtr planeta russia

Good

Very good hotel and would recommend

Reviewed Wed 25th of July 2012

"I've stayed at this hotel halfboard twice before, 2009 (2 weeks) and 2010 (3 weeks). We have two boys who now are 7 and 10. We all enjoyed this hotel and had great fun here. My mother in-law also stayed with us for the last week on both holidays and she also enjoyed this place. The staff are very nice especially if you are polite, it's amazing how many people seem to think that everyone in Spain is named Manuel and only reply to clicking fingers (it's no wonder some of the staff won't smile at these customers).

Location:
5-10min walk to the closest beach. 15-25min walk to the fountain at the main beach. I know that the time is very variable but depends on kids or no kids.

Food:
It is buffet style, which may not suit most. Both my wife and her mother would be both 'finiky' when it comes to food, but they always found something that they enjoyed for both breakfast and dinner. However if your are expecting proper full Irish/English breakfasts like anywhere in Spain they will not be the same as home, so it is pointless compairing in my view. That said I always enjoyed my breakfast and dinner here, the selection was very good and if you didn't like something just try something else.

Rooms:
Typical of what you will get in any resort in Spain, if it clean and tidy count yourself lucky, which it is. The rooms here are adequate, it will fit two double (or as they call them twin) beds, albeit with a tight squeeze for which the balcony door found at it's expense when the wife shattered the glass, which in fairness was cleaned up and replaced quickly. The balcony however has only 2 chairs which for some can be a problem. The AC can be problematic for some from what I heard but the main problem here generally is that the balcony door is linked to the system and will only activate until it is fully closed.

However, I did notice some problems when we were here. In 2009 during some bad weather a balcony railing fell from a height at night, it would most certainly have killed some one if it had hit someone. In 2010 we were put in a room which smelled of Urine masked by Bleach, we were moved the following day. I must admit this did upset us but was resolved with little hastle the following day. Coincidently this room was on the 5th floor and the balcony railing was tie-wrapped in place. Although it is sometimes difficult to clean up after filty tourists this room should not have been used untill it was fit for purpose and maybe the safety aspect should be more closely monitored, i.e. preventative maintenance.

Pool:
This was ideal for all, shallow on one end and deep on the other however, as with many in Spain does not have a life guard. There was a small baby pool close to the larger pool. There was a good area for jumping off in the lager pool which only requires some common sense to keep out of the way of these jumping kids.

Entertainment:
When we were there from 8pm 'till 10pm there was a happy hour for local beer and spirits. There are also some pool tables for the kids to play in the bar section. Night time here is typical of all resort hotels in Spain, mainly cringe but somewhat enjoyable nonetheless especially when the kids enjoy it. There is also some fun daytime activities, pool soccer, shooting, etc.. "

• Travel date: Wed 25th of July 2012

Brilliant :)

Reviewed Wed 6th of July 2011

"Stayed in the San Diego Hotel for 10 nights in June. 2 adults and 2 kids. When we checked in, they only had booking for 2 adults but lovely girl on reception sorted it out very quickly. Room basic, 2 double beds and air con. Bathroom grand size.
Hotel spotless throughout, room cleaned everyday, pool cleaned every morning. All staff brilliant. Went on B&B basis, great variety of food for brekkie, cereals, fruits, pancakes, omletes, frys etc. Alot of people at the hotel seem to go all inclusive, I didnt eat in restaurant for dinner but most people said same about dinner that good variety. I jus dont like eating in the same place 24/7.
Mini disco for the kiddies is great, adult entertainment isnt the best, but some good shows. Music is off every night at 11.30pm and people gone from pool area at 12, which is great if your trying to get the kiddies asleep ;)
Hotel in great location, 5 mins from beach and the town.
Overall great hol, would definitley recommend this hotel to anybody. Would suit families better than groups of friends or couples as entertaniment based around kids and families"

• Travel date: Tue 5th of July 2011

Excellent holiday. Excellent Hotel.

Reviewed Wed 29th of June 2011

"I've got to say this was a great holiday. There were 4 adults and my 17 month old daughter going on our 1st holiday to Spain. The hotel was superb. The staff were superb. The cleaners were superb. Our rooms were cleaned on a daily basis. Our rooms had two double beds and air conditioning. We went all inclusive and I woul recommend this to anyone. The food had wide choices to cater for all tastes. The bar staff were very helpful and always happy.The swimming pool is as you'd expect, cold as you get in but you get used to it within seconds. With the weather being very hot, it was nice to cool down. Our 17 month old daughter enjoyed every minute. The mini disco was great for her to mingle and be with other children. She enjoyed the childs paddling pool. There wasn't a great deal of adult entertainment but to me if you take children on holiday then the holiday is for them. The beach is within walking distance and very clean. The coloured fountains are a must to see. They are all along the beach front and on Fridays,Saturdays and Sundays there is a light show at the far end of the fountains.Overall it was a great hotel and a great holiday. Would definately recommend to anyone."

• Travel date: Mon 27th of June 2011

Unhappy customers

Reviewed Tue 10th of May 2011

"We have just spent a weeks Half Board in this hotel and wished we had not gone there.
Due to it being spanish holidays it was packed with about 700 as to 100 British of course with it being more spanish thats all the entertanment was made for and nothing for the British.
The bar staff are rude that if you ar still drinking and having a chat at 23:05 the still turn off the lights and by 23:15 to total darkness, they even shout at you to get out outthe bar is closed.
What we did notice that while the Spanish were there the food was very good and tasty come mid week they started to go hom the standed seem to drop.
We spoke to a couple who had been to this hotel 3 times they said it had charged they would never return and all the British had the same feeling.
J&P Keany West Sussex"

• Travel date: Mon 9th of May 2011

Amazing

Reviewed Tue 4th of January 2011

"This may have been my first holiday, but I was pleasantly surprised with everything they had to offer. The only slight glitch was that our room was not available on our first night there (me and one friend). We were supposed to share a twin room. They told us, in a very polite and apologetic manner, and we agreed to spend one night in a single room, and as compensation, we were allowed to go all inclusive. We had paid for just the room! We laughed at how small the room was, and were not put out much. like I say, it was only one night, and we spent the whole day getting to know Salou anyway! We were given our proper room the following morning, and we were very happy with it. Sure it was basic, but its all you need! Put it this way, we had a t.v, but didn't turn it once, because we were always out!
The staff were very polite and friendly! they couldn't do enough for you!
The entertainment could have been better. On one of the nights it was purely for kids, and we were a little disappointed with that, but the alcohol soon numbed us!

At the hotel restaurant, there was a wide selection of food. There really is something for everyone... I don't eat meat, and found they had a great veggie menu!

I would definitely recommend this hotel. We were 2 girls in our early 20's and the hotel suited us fine, but its great for family's too. The pool area was great... Sun shining on it through-out the day! And good music on during the day too!

We took a tour of Barcelona, which was not what we expected. We didn't realise we would be seeing the city through the coach windows. We didn't get off the coach much. Once for the 2 hours in the city centre, the stadium, the small stadium and then once more at the top of the hills so you can view of the whole place. It was still fun, the interpretor was hilarious. I've never seen someone interpret so fast in 5 different languages.

The beaches in Salou were breath taking. Maybe it is because it was the first time I'd walked along one, but I had a fabulous time.

Had some great shops to buy souvenirs from, and also great shops to buy plenty of tobacco and cigarettes from!
My hayfever kicked in as soon as we landed, but luckily there is a pharmacy just around the corner from the hotel, so there was no drama there.

The clubs are great, the bars and pubs are even better. I would definitely recommend going to Snoopeys, Charlie Chaplins and the vic, which just happens to be right opposite the hotel!

All in all, this was a great holiday. Me and my friend are making plans to go back to Salou in 2011 again, and I wouldn't be surprised if ended up back at this hotel again!! "

• Travel date: Mon 3rd of January 2011

Good holiday, could have been improved though

Reviewed Mon 9th of August 2010

"We spent two weeks all inclusive at the San Diego in July/August 2010 in a party of five adults and one infant (almost 2 years old). We have been all inclusive to (Cap) Salou before and enjoyed it, so knew what to expect from the area, and overall this holiday was as good, with some drawbacks.

The San Diego is located centrally in Salou, five minutes' walk from the main shopping area and ten minutes from the beach.

My partner and I and our child received a first floor room with a pool view - it had two single beds joined together, and a travel cot for the baby. The beds were not particularly comfortable and the air conditioning worked only intermittently, leading to some uncomfortable nights. The other three members of our party shared a room with two double beds. As mentioned in another report, the walls are very thin and tyou can hear a lot from the rooms next door! Bathroom facilities were satisfactory and maid service was reliable and well done every day.

Outwith restuarant opening hours (ie main meal times), snacks are available from the main bar (a menu is provided) and are all free when you are all inclusive.

The hotel restaurant has a good choice of food which varies (more or less) from night to night. Some nights have food 'themes' such as Mexican, Spanish, Italian which gives even more choice. Waiter service is generally very quick. The queue for freshly cooked meat (pork, chicken, steaks etc) was usually quite long, so an extra chef would have been preferable to save waiting about. One other drawback was that the restaurant conistently opened a few minutes late, so there was usually a large queue of hungry guests built up as soon as it opened. Overall the food was good and as an all inclusive guest we didn't feel the urge to stray from the hotel for meals more than a couple of times.

The swimming pool and its surrounding area are clean and well kept - the pool itself is not very big so not ideal if you fancy a 'proper' swim as there are always lots of kids playing around. Plenty of sun loungers and umbrellas were available. The small pool is ideal for young children and the jacuzzi is good too.

The hotel entertainment, for adults and kids, was not exactly great. There is a timetable of supposed activities (one for adults and children) in the hotel foyer detailing four or five events every day of the week, however this is not adhered to whatsoever. There was the odd pool and darts competition, and game of pool volleyball and that was about it. Some activities such as Aquagym and kids' face painting were advertised and simply did not occur at all.

The kids' mini club was supposed to open daily from 10.30-12.30 and 14.00-16.00 - however it only opened in the morning about three quarters of the days we were there, and in the afternoon barely half of the time. Sometimes it would open later or just not open at all, without any prior warning. A bit frustrating when you have an excited toddler who wants to play and colour in! At night the same party dances were played in the same order EVERY night, which got a bit boring as well.
The nightly entertainment shows were generally quite good, just what you'd expect really. One disappointment was that the all inclusive bar closes at 11pm.

The rental for the safety deposit box in your room is quite expensive - 48 Euros for a two week stay, of which only 10 Euros are refundable. You also have to rent a remote control for the TV, I believe this was completely refundable although we didn't bother with it. Computer terminals are available in the reception area priced at a reasonable 1 Euro for 10 minutes' internet access. Public transport facilities are good with regular bus/street trains to Port Aventura theme park.

Some improvements would have made our holiday great, but overall we enjoyed our stay - this hotel gives you probably exactly what you'd expect from a 3* facility. I would recommend the San Diego for other families with young children. "

• Travel date: Sun 8th of August 2010

would say this hotel was a 2star not 3 star

Reviewed Mon 19th of July 2010

"great location.room was clean,there was me and my friend.my friend didnt like the food,but then again it was her first time abroad.she ended up seeing a doctor as she hurt her foot by a stool falling on it,cracked her tooth,then lost her voice.shudnt laugh.but it never stopped us goin out.across our hotel was a pub called the vic.good pub.and if u go into the town centre,go 2 the temple bar,brill singers on.look out 4 maika.a women singer but sounds like a man.still good tho.met sum nice people.think this hotel shud b a 2star not 3star.one last thing dont b in a rush 2 get served at hotel bar,coz there not,very slow."

• Travel date: Mon 19th of July 2010

brilliant first holiday

Reviewed Thu 21st of January 2010

"i stayed in hotel san diego august 2009 there were seven of us 4 adults and 5 kids the hotel was very clean staff were fantastic entertainment for kids was excellent food was lovely cant find any fault with this hotel kids cant wait to go back "

• Travel date: Wed 20th of January 2010

Big Improvement

Reviewed Fri 2nd of October 2009

"At check in the guy behind the reception was very sarcastic and smarmy for no apparent reason. We asked for the safe deposit box and was told it was 39.00euros okay that was fine then we asked for the remote for the telly, he heard us as he nodded then didn't offer it. We then assumed maybe we didn't need it and went to our room. When we tried the telly we couldn't get it to work so went back for the remote which he then said 20.00euros, we said okay. Went back to room and remote didn't work. Went back down and he said "try using your fingers and how many buttons are on the telly" I asked why did you take 20.00euro for remote when we didn't need one he smirked and shrugged and told us to come back in the morning to get the 20.00 back. Not wanting to waste anymore time arguing we went out again. We came back about 6pm and a new lady was on reception so I got the remote and brought it down, as soon as we gave the room number she knew we didn't need a remote she shook her head in dismay that the arrogant idiot before her had given us one. She was very polite and apologised for his stupid error. I see no reason why this man was such an [--] but there you go, you get them everwhere.

Other than him we can't praise the staff enough very friendly and helpful and the maids who came everyday to change sheets and towels were great.

We were pleasantly suprised as the evening meal had greatly improved, there was plenty of choice and it was always hot and the service was very good. The breakfasts however were still not very good the bacon is barley cooked and the sausages I have never seen anything like them. Most of the time it was cold so wasn't overly impressed with it.

Location wise it's great and easy to get to many shops bars and restaurants, one of the best places we went is 2mins from hotel it's the 19th Hole nice friendly owners and the food was really good.

This is our second visit to this hotel and I feel now it is in need of a bit of decorating other than that would go again.

• Travel date: Fri 2nd of October 2009

great value for money

Reviewed Wed 29th of July 2009

"We were a party of 9 and usually go for a 4* as we are really fussy people but booked this last minute on an all inclusive package which, we thought, was excellent value. I have never written a review but really, some people want 5* facilities for nothing!

Transfer was easy and very close to location. First impressions were not great as we are used to the large holiday villages but got into our room within half hr of arrival. Rooms, yes are quite basic and small but ok (who spends all day in their room on holiday anyway). Our air con did not work but was fixed so no probs there. Walls are thin but aren't the majority (well they have been on all our hols)?

Pool was small and could do with being alittle larger for the size of the hotel but fine for a quick swim for us adults and the kids loved it. The only negative thing with the pool area was you could not go out until the cleaners had finished which was 8.30am - by this time there was a queue (not a huge one but we just got down there at 8.15) and a mad rush to get a sunbed (they could do with having less tables and a few more sunbeds) but, we joined the queue and did not find this a huge issue. Beaches are very close by but we tended to stay by the pool. The kids did the trip to Barcelona which they really enjoyed and we had a fantastic day at the water park.

Being all inclusive, we had drinks/snacks etc all day and again, this was no different than the better hotels we have stayed at. I read 1 review that stated the party was sick upon leaving the resurant every day...what a load of nonsense. The resturant is large and you could easily find a table. Food was a good selection and we always found something to suit the kids and us. Breakfast was great but they could do with more than 1 toaster but not a huge issue.

Entertainment was not the best but a holiday, surely, is what you make of it? Like other reviews, there was 1 guy doing the majority of it but there were shows on which were ok.

Location was really good. Yes, its in a town so, of course, you are going to get views of other hotels etc but its great for the shopping/other beaches/resturants/pubs etc but we didn't hear it at nightime.

As I said, we are really fussy when it comes to hols but all in all we had a great time for what we paid for the package. Please don't listen to all the moaners out there (there was some ridiculous peeople there who moaned for the sake of moaning over trivial things)!

• Travel date: Tue 28th of July 2009

great holiday

Reviewed Thu 2nd of July 2009

"i booked the holiday and then read the reviews and ended up dreading going on holiday because of what i had read. We got to the hotel and were pleasently suprised, the receptionist at the hotel spoke english and was very freindly and the holiday rep was waiting at the hotel entrance to meet us. We arrived at 11.30 and were in the room by 12.00 so there wasnt any waiting around after a long trip, the room was clean there was 2 queen size beds in the room a desk with a tv 2 bed side cabinets a coffie table and a very large mirror wardrobe, it was a decent sized room with a good sized balcony on the balcony there was 2 chairs and a table and the bathroom was a good size with everything youde expect in a spanish hotel. we were there for 7 nights and the room was cleaned top to bottom every morning at about 10ish we had clean towells and bed sheets everyday and the sand and dirt were cleaned out really well, also nothing ever went missing from the room which isnt what ide read on other reveiws. we did hire the safe which is in the room it cost 39 euros 20 of which you get back when you hand in the keys, the rooms also have air con which was nice cause it was mid 30s when we were there. theres a good size bar which serves good value drinks and the bar staff are really nice i took my 7 and 10 year old sons and they loved it in there, outside there is a good size pool and a kids pool which really is better suited for toddlers. there is also more than enough tables and chairs and sun lounges for everyone, the only bad thing about outside that i found is that in certain areas there are ants and they do bite so you need to be careful where you sit. we had breakfast and tea its all buffet style i never had to que for anything and there where more than enough tables, the restuarant staff where brilliant they are very helpful and freindly and again they are great with kids, you must remember though its not a gordon ramsay restuarant and then you wont be dissapointed. the entertainment was in my opinion more aimed at the kids which for me was fine there was a parrot show and magic show and a few other things that the kids really loved, the rest of the entertainment is pretty repetative i think probably this is one of the reasons the hotel is only a 3 star, i would go back to this hotel in a heart beat and would recommend it to my freinds"

• Travel date: Wed 1st of July 2009

our holiday

Reviewed Tue 30th of June 2009

"the only thing that let us down on this holiday was the food in the hotel not good at all,our little boy ended up with toast for his dinner one evening,the rooms were a bit basic but ok.there wasnt enough selection for the english on the food the breakfast was yak,so was the evening meal.will not be going back to this hotel again."

• Travel date: Mon 29th of June 2009

Hotels near Hotel Best San Diego

Top traveller tips for Hotel Best San Diego

• 1980swannabe by 1980swannabe

"VERY GOOD FOR YOUR MONEY "

• matt.tearle by matt.tearle

""the shamrock"(an irish bar)nice cheap drinks and food. "

• dennis mcmahon by dennis mcmahon

"Their is plenty of nightlife near this hotel very rowdy irish bars and nice quiet family bars . "

• dennis mcmahon by dennis mcmahon

"Chrisses irish bar is a good night out till early a m "

• adkins09 by adkins09

"the happy drinker pub "

• craig625 by craig625

"we loved the beach and the fountains on the beach front are great in the evening "

• jacedown by jacedown

"Water park was amazing and a good day out for the kids "

• kath kelly by kath kelly

"19th Hole, Rio Grand and The Happy Drinker "

• c.fawcus by c.fawcus

"loads to do brilliant for kids "

• kitty by kitty

"loved salou,altho expensive.wud still go back. "

• mo' drinks please! by mo' drinks please!

"Go to Charlie Chaplins for fun and booze! "

• SunSki by SunSki

"Don't expect too much from Spanish accomodation. "

Hotel Best San Diego is also called