We went to Salou and stayed in the europ...

Reviewed Fri 17th of August 2007

"We went to Salou and stayed in the europa park for 2 weeks end June we have no complaints at all staff were so helpful and friendly they couldn’t do enough for you.

The food was great always plenty to choose from the room we had was basic we were at the front of the hotel.
The maids were in every day cleaning it changing towels and the beds were done every other day.

We stayed and watched the shows at night a few times and what we saw we thought was good.

We will defiantly go back to Salou and my first port of call will be another 2 weeks at the Europa Park.

• Travel date: Fri 17th of August 2007

Just back from my holiday and on the who...

Reviewed Wed 1st of August 2007

"Just back from my holiday and on the whole the hotel was aright. I have read some of the reviews, some of them spot on and others way of the mark. You could not get better placed for instance.

The supermarket was a stones throw away, 15 mins walk to theme park. 2 mins in a taxi if you’re really lazy. It was only a 5min walk to the beach and it has to be the cleanest beach I have ever sat my bum on.

The hotel was very clean; the rooms were done everyday with clean towels. Downside on the room was that there was me my girl and my 12 year old jammed into the room but we just made do. The fact is your not going to be in the room allot anyway.

The hotel staff were ok some more pleasant than others. As for the night time entertainment just go out for the night cos it’s shocking. There are plenty of nice bars along the beach front to visit for cocktails and some of the fountains come on at 10 o clock which make it a nice place to sit for a bit.

Also if you have bought theme park tickets the place doesn't shut till 12 and at 11:30 there's a fantastic fireworks display. Overall a good holiday.

• Travel date: Wed 1st of August 2007

This was the best holiday I have ever ha...

Reviewed Wed 4th of July 2007

"This was the best holiday I have ever had and the hotel was faultless. All staff were very polite and friendly. The hotel was absolutely spotless and constantly being cleaned.

I have never seen so much choice on a breakfast / dinner buffet in a hotel! The quality of the food was excellent, much of it you could watch being made.

Room was nice and again very clean. The only problem was that there were a few people who got pick-pocketed in the resort, but this is typical of most Spanish tourist resorts and also happens a lot in home towns in the UK!

The beach was a short walk from the hotel and was absolutely amazing! I would recommend this hotel to anyone and would certainly go back myself."

• Travel date: Wed 4th of July 2007

Lovely Hotel, I was very impressed! The...

Reviewed Wed 20th of June 2007

"Lovely Hotel, I was very impressed!

The bar was brilliant! The swimming pool was weird but in a good way and all the staff was really nice most of them spoke English.

Were the hotel was it was so close to the shops and the main street and it was near the beach which was good.
I was very pleased with the hotel.

• Travel date: Wed 20th of June 2007

First holiday away with my best friend a...

Reviewed Sun 29th of April 2007

"First holiday away with my best friend and it was absolutely brilliant.

Spent all day everyday doing absolutely nothing but that was purely by choice.

Food was flawless if anything-too much choice and we just had to try it all or best part of it anyway, they cater for all.

Room was lovely apart from the double bed we had to share-if we'd been a married couple I bet there would have been two single beds!

Entertainment every night, poolside bingo every afternoon, irritating but the kids enjoy it and if it keeps them from crying I'm all for that.

A few busy roads to navigate if you go into town. Safety deposit box in the room - you hire it then at the end of the stay your money is returned.

Better exchange rate in the hotel too and there's no commission. Would love to go back but looking at the prices this year - not a chance, never mind.

Only bad point - those ruddy Dutch laying claim to sun beds at 7am which they only use for half the day despite staff attempts at putting flyers on the sun beds asking customers to refrain - foreigners huh!"

• Travel date: Sun 29th of April 2007

When we first arrived at the hotel they...

Reviewed Sat 16th of September 2006

"When we first arrived at the hotel they did not have a room ready for us. My 2 year old son was exhausted but we were told we would just have to wait. When the room was eventually ready after one and a half hours we had 3 single beds crammed into 1 medium sized room. We couldn’t even open the wardrobe doors properly.

the food was awful and looked undercooked so the extra we had spent on getting half board was a waste because we were eating out everyday. my partner was mugged on the first night there.

We did not see a holiday rep the whole of the fortnight that we were there. The staff at the hotel were unfriendly, did not seem to understand us or want to help. Entertainment at the hotel was poor. They wouldn’t even let my son in the pool with his swimmer nappies on.

The staff got angry with us one a night because my son couldn’t get to sleep and was crying, they said he was making too much noise and to keep him quiet. How you are supposed to do that with an uncomfortable 2 year old who is being sick is beyond me! I was definitely glad to leave and will not be going back there again.

• Travel date: Sat 16th of September 2006

Loved it!!

Reviewed Sat 1st of December 2012

"This hotel was fantastic. The pools were great and waiter service by the pool was great. I found all the staff were very friendly and helpful. We arrived on 31st July 2006 for a week at 11.00am had to wait 1½ hours for room as it was being cleaned (understandable). I was on holiday with my partner and our six year old nephew who had a brilliant time at this hotel. Food was excellent, best I have had in any half board hotel that I have stayed at. Weather was great all week and Portaventura Theme Park was excellent definately worth a couple of visits. I would recommend this hotel to any age group, family, etc, will definitely go back in the future."

• Travel date: Sun 13th of August 2006

Sound Hotel

Reviewed Sun 9th of December 2012

"Stayed 7 nights from July into August and feel that this hotel is as described. It's not the Savoy but is a perfectly good, clean 3 star holiday hotel. We used it as a base for visiting Port Aventura, for which is well suited as the Wally Wagon stops just off Europa Plaza.
Check-in was quick & efficient (got some extra goodies by being a member of Club H10) and the room was perfectly adequate (although noicy from neighbours & the cleaners room across the way).
Restaurant was much better than anticipated, so much so that we unexpectedly ate dinner in 6 nights out of 7. Breakfast was good also, although many Brits seemed unwilling to try anything that they would not have got at home. Unfortunately some families also don't know how to behave in a restaurant, which spoiled the meal one night in particular.
As mentioned elsewhere the pool attendant was very zealous in clearing towels off reserved sunloungers, and as the doors didn't open until 9am there was no problem getting a lounger even in high season. Having said that, the beach is great and only 5 mins walk away so is much better!
Entertainment was absolutely desperate.

Booked with Go2Spain, which essentially got us half board for the price of B&B direct with H10.

In summary it's a sound 3* hotel just tainted by the standard of some of its guests."

• Travel date: Sun 13th of August 2006

Good 3 Star Hotel

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"This is a good 3 star hotel. Arrived late July for 2 weeks and had no complaints. Arrived 10.30 and room wasn't ready till 12.00 as it was being cleaned. Quite understandable.
As we expected, because we had seen the pictures, the pool wasn't that big, but it never got too crowded and you could always enjoy a swim. On Wednesday's they get a big infllatable slide out.
You can't reserve sun beds. Towels left on sunbeds with no one around were removed at approx 10.30 by the pool attendant. In our second week alot more sunbeds appeared and even if you came down at 14.00 you would soon get one. In the meantime there were plenty of normal chairs.
Buffet food was good, lots of choice, with a chef cooking in front of you along with all the other food brought out from the kitchen. He also cooks the eggs in the morning. Several different meats most nights, along with fish, pasta, salads, pizza and chips (some nights). Help yourself and go back as often as you like. At least 6 different puddings. Sponges, Ice Cream, Jelly etc.
Normally had a snack lunch around pool, ordered from the waiter who would bring it to you. Toasted sandwiches were 2.60 Euros, burgers were 3.00. Pint of San Miguel 2.20.
Special entertainment 4 nights a week at 22.00. Magic show, flamencos, mexican, brazil dancing etc. The Chinese acrobats were best. Other 3 nights live music starts at 21.00. Country and Western was good.
Went across road to Doolallys quite alot where Will from Wales organises a quiz from 21.15 followed by bingo (jackpot normaly about 90.00 euros) and then Open the box. He is ably supported by the lovely Kelly. Also has Sky sports for Football and Cricket.
My son Ed and other children help collect quiz papers and raffle tickets and got a free drink.
Both Doolallys and the hotel are the other side of the square from the main street to the beach so its slightly quieter than the bars like Robin Hood and Lazy Waves.
The hotel staff were always helpful, my son got an ear infection and they kept the medicine in their fridge for us. He also broke a light in the bedroom and they fixed it quickly.
It's a 15 min walk to Portaventura and less than 10 to the beach.
Enjoy."

• Travel date: Mon 7th of August 2006

Good time at Euopa

Reviewed Sat 1st of December 2012

"Just back from Europa Hotel and have to say that I had a completely different experience to your advisor who posted a review on 1 August 2006. I had never heard of the H10 hotel group before but would have no qualms about using them again. Hotel was in good condition and well maintained as far as I could see.

My 14 year old son and I went with Globespan from Edinburgh. On arrival in mid afternoon we had a quick and easy check in at reception - all the receptionists spoke English and I found them polite and helpful. The one problem I had was a locked bathroom door and this was fixed within 10 minutes of reporting it to reception.

One thing travellers may wish to check is the availablity of rooms for those arriving in the early hours of the morning. One couple told me they arrived at 5:00am but had to wait till midday to get into their room. I do not know the circumstances behind this and find it hard to understand why this happened however it is maybe worth checking at the time of booking. Maybe a misunderstanding of some sort?

Our room was at the back of the hotel overlooking a leafy square and we found it comfortable enough - 2 double beds, bathroom with good shower, tv, balcony and safety deposit box. Rooms cleaned daily with fresh towels. Admittedly the room wasn't huge but there was plenty of space to put all our things and we were not tripping over each other in any way. Air conditioning was great. I really have no gripes with the accommodation.

Hotel had a large and cool lounge with a large tv screen. The bar was modern, bright and well stocked. The waiters were attentive although the bar staff seemed under pressure at times - best just to order drinks / food from the comfort of your table / sunbed in the sun. Under £2.00 a pint for San Miguel. 4 internet stations for kids (a little expensive at 1 euro for 10 mins), 2 pool tables and an unintrusive games room - all fine as far as we were concerned.

Pool consisted of a fairly large circular adult pool, an adjoining kids pool and a cold water jacquzz. All supervised by a life guard throughout the day. Sun beds could not be reserved and were only available from 9:00am - those that tried to put towels on the beds and then go elsewhere found that the lifeguard had removed their towels to free up the beds for those who were there. If beds were unavailable there were plenty of seats and tables available. Pools were clean and water warm. No complaints and we enjoyed our swims. Lilos and other infllatables were not allowed in the main pool which left room to swim and laze around in peace. Pool was surrounded by trees - just as depicted in the brochures / internet pictures - picturesque

Restuarant was fairly typical. I like to eat out about 50% of the time anyway but when we ate in there was always something to enjoy. A "sit where you like" policy and fresh table cloths put on after each set of diners had used the table. Waitresses were friendly and there was no push to eat up and get out.

There was a disabled party in the hotel at the same time as us and they appeared to be enjoying their stay moving around via the many wheelchair ramps and using the special chair facility to access the pool.

Evening entertainment consisted of magic shows, a New Zealand act, live band, dancers etc. Again, fairly typical but there if you wanted it. All took place outside by the pool which created a nice atmosphere.

Hotel is about a 15 min stroll to the promenade/beach but plenty to see along the way. It is all flat without hills and an easy walk. There is a fairly busy road and roundabout nearby but the noise just seemed to blend in with the general buzz of Salou - the road is easily crossed by a series of pedestrian crossings which all motorists strictly observe (probably due the regular traffic police presence).

Had a nice curry lunch at a nearby pub (Buddy's &Co) not cheap at 11.75 Euros but lovely and tasty. Had a good time at a pub just next to the hotel "Doolallys". Very friendly and entertainment such as quizzes/ bingo are a nightly event. For those who like a stroll I would recommend a walk along the Calle De Nord which is a leafty avenue just outside Buddy's & Co - if you walk far enough you come to Cambrils.

Also went Portaventura for the day. I asked hotel reception how to get there and thery suggested either the small local tourist train or a 15 minute walk. We chose the walk which took about 25 minutes (very hot and walked slowly) - fairly uphill though and anyone with walking difficulties should take alternative transport. Portaventura pretty expensive to get in/ drinks/ food etc so take plenty money - great fun though and I would highly recommend it.

All in all I had a very good time at the Europa and I am sorry that your other correspondent did not have the same. I am not overly picky but will certainly complain if things are not right. I can honestly say that I had no cause for complaint and think that most people will have a great time at this hotel - please do not worry if you have already booked it - I enjoyed my holiday as did my son (who is a lot more picky than me).

My date of return to Edinburgh was 3 Aug 2006, I went with Globespan and flew to Barcelona."

• Travel date: Wed 2nd of August 2006

Horror of the H10 Europa Park Hotel!!

Reviewed Mon 8th of October 2012

"Well after reading the amazing reviews this hotel has, I was really looking forward to arriving. Lucky did I know that it would be an experience from Hell. We got to the reception desk and the lady at the desk was really ignorant and didn't understand me at all. We had to find the room ourselves with no help. When we got there we noticed that the door had been scratched! This set me thinking. Entered and the place set me of sneezing. The whole place reeked of some cheap air freshener. My husband Donald wanted to go complain immedietly but I told him to wait. The rest of the room was horrible. The beds were too low on the ground, the windows were streaked with polish and the whole place was so small we thought we were being crushed. We went to complain and got told that people were only moved for serious complaints! I was disgusted and wanted to return home immedietly. We went to the pool with our grand daughters and had a horrible experience. The water was so cold it made the 10 year old cry. I again complained and got nowhere. We went down to the restaurant and was revolted by the food. Chips, beans, chicken and tomato pasta were the things most on offer. How awful for people who have standards!

The rest of the hoilday was made hell by this hotel. One of the porters said hello to my grand daughter. She was so scared she wouldn't go out that day. I complained AGAIN and guess what - Nothing done AGAIN!

Take my advice, avoid this hell hole, it will ruin your holiday."

• Travel date: Mon 31st of July 2006

Didn't want to leave!

Reviewed Tue 9th of October 2012

"After arriving at the somewhat industrial area of nearby Reus airport i was a little worried as to what to expect. Be warned the bus drivers are a litle scary and the buses look like they are about to conk out! On arrival at salou i was pleasantly surprised - a gorgeously long beach, promenade lined with palm trees, a beautiful fountain and buzzing shops and restaraunts.

As for the hotel, it was great arriving in reception! The cool air con hits you as you walk through the glass doors onto the marble floors - very refreshing after a day at the beach! The staff are also extremely friendly and speak very good English.

The rooms are basic but comfortable enough. Unfortunatly the beds were a bit hard but thats our only complaint about the furniture. Could have also done with a mini fridge to keep bottled water cool and a kettle for tea/coffee in the morning. Big plus is that every room has air con and its quiet enough to leave on at night.

Pool - ok, very clean but everyone competes for the sun as there are alot of shady palm tress around the complex. Didn't spend much time there as people tended to nab their sunloungers at 8am sharp and leave towels there till they returned at 1 in the afternoon grrr! Grab a bus and head for Cap Salou just 10 mins away. Its a quiet village with pretty coves and quiet waters. Very tranquil :)

Food - GREAT! lots of choice for all ages, great selection for breakfast and dinner - however not much in the way of hot veg but i aint complaining lol!

Nightlife - Lots of bars,clubs and places to eat. Shops stay open until midnight. The seafront is where you'll find the main hubbub. Beware of the traders - they try to sell you every naff item under the sun.

Overall, a fab holiday full of sun sea and sand. Head for Barcelona and surrounding villages to get out of the touristy city of Salou from time to time."

• Travel date: Fri 21st of July 2006