I recently stayed in the Regina Gran hot...

Reviewed Wed 13th of June 2007

"I recently stayed in the Regina Gran hotel in Salou with my wife and four year old daughter, on a half board basis for 7 nights.

We were very surprised how clean and well kept the hotel was, the hotel staff were very friendly and most of them spoke good English.

The food was fantastic with a variety of hot and cold buffet style menu and the restaurant was very well laid out and very efficient service from the staff, the hotel pool was very clean and grounds well kept as with the rest of the hotel.

Most of the visitors were Spanish themselves but some Germans / Irish and Scottish and southern England, Port Aventura theme park (about 15mins walk from hotel or 2/3 mins by taxi from the hotel) is a must for a good day out with the kids. Although can be pretty expensive.

Also visit the Aquapolis Dolphinarium and waterpark in nearby La Pineda, very good for a day out and the only thing you pay for after entering the park is food and drink or gifts.

The beaches in Salou are very clean and a beach bed will cost only four Euros each for the day, and food and drink is always available close by.

Some shops open late afternoon on the main street by the beach and open until very late and people often go for a walk at night to cool off.

Overall the accommodation and resort were excellent for a family and highly recommended."

• Travel date: Wed 13th of June 2007

My wife & I just got back with 2 other c...

Reviewed Fri 30th of March 2007

"My wife & I just got back with 2 other couples from a week's H/B at the Regina Gran in Salou. It's classed as 4* & I think it gets 3 1/2*. It's big, clean & friendly. We got a great deal with a last minute booking for £192 pp flying from PIK, & believe me it was fantastic value for money.

The hotel was brilliant; the meals were first class, with plenty of choice even for vegetarians. Breakfast had everything you needed, cereals, continental breakfast as well as cooked food, all served in an airy dining room. Other reviewers have commented on the noise & I agree the walls are thin, however, no worse than you find in most other Med hotels.

The rooms were large & the bathrooms were spacious, although I did think that 40€ for the safe was a bit expensive. The maids do a fabulous job, in every day to clean the room & changed our bed linen & towels mid way through the week. The facilities are superb, the, sauna, steam room, indoor (heated) pool & especially the extremely well laid out gym.

The weather was a mixed bag so nobody used the outdoor pool whilst we were there, & being pre-season most of Salou's nightlife was closed. The evening entertainment at the hotel was geared for the over 60's with ballroom dancing so we gave that a miss, though it may be different during the summer. Recommend Danny Boy's bar for a great night out.

If you are going to this hotel with kids, you are only 10 mins walk from Portaventura. A taxi from the hotel to Reus for 6 was only 40€ & the reception was happy to book it for us.

The only negative thing I can say about this hotel is that the lounge area is set up more like a school canteen with square tables & hard back seats & very few comfy sofas, but as you'll probably send more time out than in not a major issue.

You can keep your room on till 18:00 for 25€ although they do have a courtesy room available.

All -in -all, we had a brilliant time even though the weather was dodgy & I would recommend this hotel to families who want to stay a little away (10 mins walk) from the hustle & bustle of downtown Salou but want some quality service.

• Travel date: Fri 30th of March 2007

My wife and I visited this hotel with ou...

Reviewed Wed 28th of March 2007

"My wife and I visited this hotel with our two children, 2+6 in August 2006. We stayed on a half board basis but only ate in the hotel once, not because the food wasn’t good but because there is so many good places to eat in Salou.

The food in the Hotel was of a good standard and was always fresh. The rooms in the hotel were of a good size and spotlessly cleaned each day. The location is spot on, close enough for the centre and far enough away for peace and quiet at night.

Only down side to the hotel is the sun beds. If you don’t like fighting for sun beds at 09.30 in the morning don’t go here. We found that the hotel was mostly directed towards Spanish tourists but this didn’t both us. The staff were very friendly at all times and couldn’t do enough to help you.
I wouldn’t go back to this hotel again but would recommend it to others. "

• Travel date: Wed 28th of March 2007

Hotel great, it was very clean and moder...

Reviewed Mon 28th of August 2006

"Hotel great, it was very clean and modern. Rooms were more than adequate and the bathroom spotless, clean towels everyday.

Food was great, lots of choice, we had 8 kids between us and everyday they did not go hungry. They especially liked the dessert table and the melon sculptures.

Rooms also have a fridge so you can store things in.

Entertainment typical but okay for the kids, lots of sitting areas inside and out.

Only real criticism was the coldness of the pool, temperatures were up in late 70s early 80s but the pool was too cold, even for the kids.

There is an indoor swimming pool but you have to wear a swimming cap and kids must have an adult with them and it is very hot in there so not very good if you want to sunbathe.

We spent most of our time at the theme park, which we thought was great and we walked there and back everyday. Walk is about 15 minutes but a nice pleasant walk with not too many cars passing you.

If I went back to Salou would definately stay in this hotel."

• Travel date: Mon 28th of August 2006

Hotel was nice, clean and modern. Howev...

Reviewed Sat 12th of August 2006

"Hotel was nice, clean and modern. However a little out of the way, it is about a 10 minute walk to the centre of Salou.

Food was nice, there was a good variety most nights.

The bar staff are courteous, however the dining room staff I found appalling (they just didn't want to know, one even went as far as rolling her eyes up at us when we asked for anything).

Another fault I found was that for this time of year there wasn't nearly enough sun loungers, there was a grabbing match for them every morning. If you want a lounger you have to be at the pool by 9.30 when they are unlocked by the life guard (at which time there are swarms of guests around each stack). Pool is nice though, kept immaculate. "

• Travel date: Sat 12th of August 2006

To be honest I think the hotel is fantas...

Reviewed Wed 19th of July 2006

"To be honest I think the hotel is fantastic if you have kids but for teenagers not so good, If you have teenagers it is probably better to be a little further into Salou, I know it says 200yrds into Salou centre but the nightclubs are the other side of Salou. A big tip if you are a bit of a clubber... is get a taxi from hotel Regina only about 5-6euros so not bad and ask to go to snoopys.

It will take you to the best area for nightclubs and just have look around. Everything happens a lot later don't even bother going to a club before 11.30 - midnight. A good club is kiss as well. I think Regina is a fantastic hotel, food is good, very clean and very child friendly. Very good!"

• Travel date: Wed 19th of July 2006

Brilliant Hotel

Reviewed Wed 7th of November 2012

"Have just returned from a week at the Regina Gran. Stayed on a room only basis as we like to eat at different places in the evening. Could not fault the hotel at all, rooms were lovely and spotless clean. The maid came every morning and cleaned and left fresh towels. The staff were all helpful and spoke excellent English. The swimming pool is exceptionally good and a small children's pool with plenty of sunbeds around. It is a wonderful resort for children with some excellent child friendly bars. Favourite has to be Champions with Coco the clown on til 11 pm/midnight. Favourite eating place was Uncle Sam's Route 66 where they do a mean ribs with barbecue sauce. Had one bad meal at the Robin Hood which had obviously been microwaved as it was hot on the outside and cold in the middle. Would definitely recommend a stay at this hotel!"

• Travel date: Sun 18th of June 2006

Nice Hotel

Reviewed Wed 7th of November 2012

"We stayed at this hotel for one week half board. Food was OK you always got something to do you but lets just say we didn't look forward to our dinner every evening. Roast Beef and baked ham were served every other night. Queues in the restaurant were a bit annoying, I would not like to be staying here in the high season (you will be queueing for your dinner all night).

Staff were friendly enough, rooms were nice, pool was lovely (although very cold). It is about a 10-15 minute walk to the town and the beach and about 15 minutes walk to Port Aventura. Entertainment in the evenings was more for the over 50's ie. dancing to some guy playing the keyboards, a couple of shows during the week but the place pretty much cleared at 11.30 pm, a lot of local residents seemed to come every evening to enjoy the dancing. Kids club was run by a small spanish team, they were good and tried their best but nothing spectacular. Kids disco every night and a few games.

All in all a very good holiday was had by all and we met some great friends (Hello to Ryan, Tina, Daniel and Abi and George, Carol, Alan and Carl) but if I go back to Salou I would choose a hotel nearer the town and one with a bit more livelier entertainment."

• Travel date: Tue 13th of June 2006

Lovely Hotel

Reviewed Fri 2nd of November 2012

"I stayed here when i was on honeymoon in 2002 and it was lovely back then. Last year we returned to Salou but stayed in a different location. We visited the hotel again and it was beautiful. They had done alot of work to the inside and it is now more beautiful than ever."

• Travel date: Mon 12th of June 2006

excellent hotel

Reviewed Sun 16th of December 2012

"The hotel is located about 10 mins walk from beach and main part of salou. Lovely hotel. The rooms were spacious for 3 people and the staff are very helpful especially the reception staff. our room 1330 was a gable end room overlooking the road however it was not very noisy and when the door was closed could not hear anything. Pool beautiful although cold. The facilities excellent. We used the sauna and jacuzzi needed swim hat.
Very relaxing break will certainly return again"

• Travel date: Tue 6th of June 2006

Great holiday had in Salou. Stayed at th...

Reviewed Fri 26th of May 2006

"Great holiday had in Salou. Stayed at the Regina Grand Hotel with hubby and kids.

We were on half board basis and the food was excellent. Plenty of variety for adults maybe not just as much for kids but enough. Hotel is spotless and kept to a very high standard.

Rooms are spacious enough but with 4 and pull down bed down most of the time can be little cramped - but sure for all the time you spend in your room.

Pool is lovely and cleaned early each morning. With young kids we sat near the playpark and kiddie pool which meant we got some quality sunbathing time as they had freedom to play.

Hotel is located not far from the beachfront about 10 mins walk and handy to McDonalds for lunch - pool bar closed but opens end of May we used snack bar in main bar which was limited to Burgers and toastie's.

Hotel around 20 walk from theme park - nice walk but uphill for those who have kids - taxi might be better but you end up waiting on them so walking lot quicker!

Entertainment in Hotel was ok - kids disco every night at 9.30 pm then adults entertainment started at 10.30pm - start of week was great but then older people (granny's..) took to ballroom dancing latter park of week - but on the whole it was ok to have a drink, let kids have run about and play in games room.

Good time had and we would go back

• Travel date: Fri 26th of May 2006

nice hotel

Reviewed Sun 23rd of December 2012

"just returned after a weeks stay at this hotel from 5th may to 12th may.i found the hotel very pleasant,clean and comfortable.i couldnt find anything at all to complain about.just remember as someone pointed out 4 star spanish will not be the same class as 4 star british.the staff were hard working and helpfull,especially the reception staff,and i had absolutley no trouble having calls put through to my room promptly.infact my cousin commented on how nice the reception staff were to her when she phoned me.As for the food,it was absolutley fine,there is always a great range and i'm not adventurous in the food department.you certainly wont starve.Of course there will always be those for whom there is no pleasing.the lady who found her stay was noisy due to children playing late at night,i think may have just been unlucky as although there were a number of children staying at the hotel when i was there,i encountered no problems.However if i had done,i'm sure a polite request to the reception staff would have solved the problem.there is a lovely indoor and outdoor pool at the hotel and also a hair salon with an excellent stylist.they dont open sunday or monday but do have some late evenings and she is not overpriced.overall i wouldn't hesitate to recomend this hotel to anyone"

• Travel date: Sat 20th of May 2006