We were a family party of 3 adults and 4...

Reviewed Sat 19th of April 2008

"We were a family party of 3 adults and 4 children ( 14,13,9 and 8 )1 baby. The Hotel is probably the best in Salou and is very clean and tidy although minimalist in room decor.
I would say it is between 3 and 4 star.The main bugbear was at the indoor pool where they insist on headcaps at all times and if you have none they charge 4Euro each. We bought in town for 1Euro. Also they have a large local Gym/Pool membership and you cannot use Pool after 6pm.I am not sure if this is the same with the Gym.The kids constantly wanted money for the games room where there is a vast array of machines and they all cost 1 Euro except the Pool Table which is 2Euro!! So be prepared to have plenty of change available if you have kids.Drinks are fairly reasonable with beers at 1.50E/300ml.
There is no facility for daytime snacks, however lunch is between 1pm and 3 pm if full board.The Restaurant is pretty average for a 4 star hotel although the meals are OK and there is always plenty to choose from and the usual kids stuff to keep them happy.
The young chap from Barcelona who did the animations was very good and friendly as were most of the staff.The evening entertainment was usually a singer or quiz and singer but not much good for the kids hence the necessity for change!
If you have been to Salou before then you know there are plenty of places to go if need be and although 10 mins from seafront the walk does you good.

• Travel date: Sat 19th of April 2008

Great hotel with nice polite staff, grea...

Reviewed Tue 27th of November 2007

"Great hotel with nice polite staff, great food range I am a chef and found different things to eat at every meal with a good range between spanish food and more traditional stuff. A good kids club every evening, we have been twice now in May each time it was at first busy with spanish people and later in the week with Irish people. I would recommend this hotel to anyone."

• Travel date: Tue 27th of November 2007

Just back from the Regina Gran hotel in...

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2007

"Just back from the Regina Gran hotel in Salou. Stayed here on a half board basis.

Hotel was lovely, indoor swimming pool, jacuzzi, sauna steam room and Turkish bath.

Food was good enough but room for improvement, a bit hectic in restaurant at times with no seats and having to queue for tables.

Staff at reception could have been more helpful. I thought location was a bit far from beach and main shopping area. wouldn’t suit people with walking difficulties.

Overall it was well worth the money."

• Travel date: Sun 28th of October 2007

I thought that this holiday was very enj...

Reviewed Mon 15th of October 2007

"I thought that this holiday was very enjoyable and would recommend this to everyone.
The staff are very friendly and the facilities were fantastic.

If this is your first holiday I would recommend it because the staff are so friendly.
The environment is clean and healthly which I most enjoyed and everything is in walking distance so after dinner I could go for a walk up the town.

I loved this holiday and never wanted it to end.

• Travel date: Mon 15th of October 2007

In the holiday brochure the hotel looked...

Reviewed Thu 4th of October 2007

"In the holiday brochure the hotel looked all snazzy and nice, but when we got there it was something quite different. Our room was horrible. We had a dead bird on our balcony, a cracked window, a wardrobe with 1 door, a toilet that had waste down it, a shower that did not work and lampshades that were hanging off by black tape. Will they be getting my vote ... I don’t think so.

My brother had to sleep in a fold out camp bed. The staff were unfriendly; they did not know what English is.

• Travel date: Thu 4th of October 2007

Stayed here with my wife and 2 kids (7 &...

Reviewed Fri 28th of September 2007

"Stayed here with my wife and 2 kids (7 & 9) for 8 nights. In summary, this is a hotel with 4 star facilities (pools, jacuzzi, etc) but let down by (to 3 star) for food variety and cleanliness.

We enjoyed, but had to move rooms on the second day as the first room smelt bad and had ants in the beds and bathroom that bit, the second room had a few ants in the bathroom, but was a lot cleaner. The kids enjoyed the entertainment, as we did mostly.

There was never a shortage of food, just not a lot of variation, its great if you want to come to Spain and experience British food and not much else, personally I like to travel and try different things.

I would possibly return to the hotel, but probably rent a villa instead. In contrast, on arriving back in the UK I immediately stayed in a Holiday Inn, the level of quality of the room and furnishings is clearly different, but still had a really miserable receptionist in the Holiday Inn, everywhere has pros and cons!

Conclusion, a reasonable value holiday at the Regina, my wife loved it by the way!"

• Travel date: Fri 28th of September 2007

We were really pleased with our booking....

Reviewed Thu 27th of September 2007

"We were really pleased with our booking. The flights were ok, very limited snacks on the plane going to our destination and on the way home.

Our hotel was beautiful, very friendly, laid back atmosphere; also it was always very clean.

We had no problems getting beds by the pool either. It was a five minute walk from the main part of Salou so was nice that we weren’t in the thick of things. The beach and promenade was about 10 min walk - plenty of shops on the way though!

The bars were pretty spread out along the streets and not all right next to each other. This was our first holiday away together for 14 years - always gone within a group of friends, family, and the kids.

We really enjoyed our stay in Salou and hope to return again and would definitely stay at the Regina Gran Hotel and book through Sunshine.co.uk!

A very happy, tanned, and relaxed Mr & Mrs Wills."

• Travel date: Thu 27th of September 2007

We (myself, partner and two children) st...

Reviewed Thu 9th of August 2007

"We (myself, partner and two children) stayed for a week. We found the room clean but basic. Our two children slept on a double sofa bed. The room was tidied, and clean towels left if required, on a daily basis.

The food was a buffet style and a wide variety to suit all tastes. We walked to PortaVentura a couple of times which took about 30 mins (sure it could be quicker if you view the map). The hotel can organise sightseeing-trips.

The beach about 10 mins away is clean and was quite busy. It was rather busy around the pool each day and in order to get a sun lounger one of us needed to wait (sometimes up to an hour) until the beds were unchained. Overall, Salou is quite central e.g. Barcelona (1hr15mins by train), and is clean.

There is a lot to see and do and a week is not enough. The hotel was excellent and would recommend it for families. We would definately return."

• Travel date: Thu 9th of August 2007

The hotel was clean and that's as good a...

Reviewed Thu 12th of July 2007

"The hotel was clean and that's as good as it got for me on my holiday. The staff were indifferent to the point of being rude. Everything at the hotel is geared towards the Spanish guests (that includes the children's clubs) and if you can handle that fact then you will enjoy it.

The food hall was an impressive sight - almost as impressive as the queue to get into it. The actual food itself was cold, greasy and ... in a word ... poor. Getting the food was nothing short of a rugby scrum. All in all - it was a bad experience.

If you want a good holiday - go somewhere else. There is no way this hotel should hold a four star rating."

• Travel date: Thu 12th of July 2007

Just came back from Salou, spent 2 weeks...

Reviewed Sun 8th of July 2007

"Just came back from Salou, spent 2 weeks there. Hotel was excellent, staff were very friendly, helped out in any way they could.

I was there with my partner and 2 year old daughter, also my mam and dad came.

We went half board, the food was excellent. A wide variety of food to cater everyone needs. Staff in the restaurant were friendly too. In our 2nd week the hotel was very busy and the queue into the restaurant got very busy.

Also the sunbeds were locked and didn’t open until 9.30-10.00. There was always a life guard on duty and was very helpful as my dad has a disability and walks with a stick, the lifeguard was always there to help in out of the pool. The pool itself was excellent for children and anyone with a disability.

The entertainment was good, if the children are older there is a hotel run kids club from 4 upwards.

The only downfall was that it was around 10-15 minutes away from the centre as it was a long walk for anyone with a disability. Taxis were between 5-7 Euros but it was worth it just to stay in such a high standard hotel.

Would definitely go again, my parents have booked to go back again in September, they're just saving extra for taxis."

• Travel date: Sun 8th of July 2007

My partner, 9 year old daughter, and mys...

Reviewed Fri 29th of June 2007

"My partner, 9 year old daughter, and myself booked flights to Reus for around £80 each. We booked the Regina Gran Hotel via Alpharooms.com and got 3 nights half board accommodation for £115.

I'd stayed at this hotel the previous year so knew it to be clean and friendly. And it hadn't changed. The hotel has an indoor and outdoor pool, although in the indoor pool you have to wear a swimming cap - hmmm very attractive.

When staying at the hotel you also have free use of the sauna, steam room, and gym. There is a games room with pool, arcade games, and internet access for the kids (and big kids) - this room leads off the bar/entertainment area and there is no access to outside so it's fairly safe for the kids to be left.

The hotel puts entertainment on each night & the DJ does various activities with the kids - like getting them doing the Spanish equivalent of the birdie song! - The kids love it.

The hotel is about a 10/15 minute walk from the beach, which isn't really a problem for us & again about the same time in the other direction to Portaventura theme park. Portaventura is great at October half term as they have a lot of Halloween stuff going on & the queues are really small (if any queues at all).

The food is varied enough for even the fussiest eater (the other half!) as they have a wide varieties of dishes on offer every night & lovely desserts.

All in all the hotel was well worth £115 for a 3 night half board stay for 3 of us. I would recommend."

• Travel date: Fri 29th of June 2007

My wife and I along with my 4 year old d...

Reviewed Tue 26th of June 2007

"My wife and I along with my 4 year old daughter stayed for 7 days in the Regina Gran Hotel in Salou, this was our first time to Spain.

The hotel was very clean and tidy and really lovely, although our room was a bit basic it was very comfortable.

The hotel staff were very friendly and very helpful and the food in the main restaurant was first class, with a buffet style menu with lots of variety.

There was not many people from England staying in the hotel most were Spanish people on holiday and some Irish and Scots.

The pool was very nice and always clean around the pool side, although there is a lovely beach approx 10 to 15 mins walk away.

There was lots to do on the beach with inflatable’s behind speedboats etc and port Aventura theme park is a must for visitors with children, although the entrance fee is expensive all the rides and shows are all free.

Also try Aquapolis (water park and dolphinarium) in nearby LA PINEDA this was also a great day out.

The town of Salou comes alive early evening when more shops tend to open and most people go out for walks along the main street by the beach.

We had a great time and can’t wait to go back to Salou well recommended to young and old."

• Travel date: Tue 26th of June 2007