We have recently updated our Privacy Policy. Click here to learn more

Melia Costa del Sol

Paseo Maritimo 11, 29620 Torremolinos Spain

Good

Great location and place for some R&R

"My husband and I have just finished a 5 night stay at this hotel at the end of March. We thoughly enjoyed our entire stay. It does seem to have a large percentage of OAP staying here therefore it is a quite place to stay and entertainment is low key- didn't bother us as we wanted peace and quite. Hotel is straight across from the beach and there are plenty of small cafes/bars within mins walk each way from the hotel. We had a junior suite, room 562 and the balcony is huge and enjoyed sitting out and enjoying the seaview. The sun does leave the balcony area about 1:30pm but then you can head across the road and rent a deck chair for 3 euros! We found the food absolutely fine - always sceptical on a half board basis but definitely no complaints. We will be back whenever we need so R&R!"

• Travel date: Wed 28th of March 2007

Melia High Standard

"My wife and I had a five night stay in mid March and although we knew that this was a four star hotel we were pleased to have this confirmed through our experience. Too many times are you disappointed but not here.

Firstly location is as good as it gets - on the beach and only 10 mins from airport. You can walk for miles along a pleasant sea front promenade in either direction and enjoy the sea views or the numerous shops bars and restaurants. The beach restaurants are all very good in appearance and the menus were good – lots of sea food. No fries!

The hotel public areas are spotless & roomy. If excellent toilets are your thing then this place will suit! The two bars were quite opposite in style and taste but we thought it was nice to be able to choose between a leisurely drink in the snack bar or a more formal setting of the cocktail bar / entertainment spot. Entertainment was not for us but to be fair it was fine for the clientele – OLD and out of season!

The room was large clean and very comfortable. Beds a bit hard but no real worries. We were blessed with a sunny room allocation but beware getting an east facing room at this time of year – no sun after 12.00 noon. We were in 475.

Staff were most helpful especially reception and in Snack bar where the bar men were courteous and enjoyed a bit of fun. The bar manager in the cocktail lounge was officious.

Pool was tiny for such a large hotel but being next to the beach I am sure that this is not a problem in the summer.

Taxi rank is right outside so no problems there.

The main shopping restaurant area is quite a bit above the prom and as such you needed your stamina to climb the various steep walks. There is a lift though within the hotel that gets you up so not too much to worry about.

We had a great time and I was surprised to enjoy the resort so much. We booked a short break away from cold & wet Scotland and would have been happy anywhere with sun. The resort has however improved itself immensely and is pleasant clean and safe. We had a great holiday and I would recommend the Melia and Torremolinos."

• Travel date: Thu 22nd of March 2007

Superb hotel!

"This was the second time in 4 years that we stayed here and would gladly return. I can't understand how anyone could complain about anything at the Costa del Sol. The desk clerks are super friendly & helpful, as are all the hotel employees from the chambermaids to the waiters in the coffee shop & restaurant. Also, the rooms are nicely decorated & the beds very comfortable. The location is excellent & the breakfast spread is beautiful. The online rates are the best; Orbitz & the other "discounters" are really offering the "rack rate", so don't be fooled by their "discounts"."

• Travel date: Tue 26th of December 2006

Great Views!

Good

"I stayed here for two nights in November 2006. The staff is friendly and welcoming. The rooms are clean, as were the bathrooms, with a gorgeous view of the Mediterranean.

The hotel is on the coast and it's a short (albeit steep uphill) walk to the main shopping area in Torrremolinos. There are lots of beachside cafe and restaurants along the street nearby the hotel."

• Travel date: Wed 29th of November 2006

Nice but not great as the reviews make out

"I booked this hotel for a weeks break in October for my wife and I and our two teenage daughters. I have to say that I booked it as a result of the reviews on this site which I usually find are good however on this occassion I was dissapointed.

The hotel is nice and clean but very quiet and full of pensioners which ordinarily doesnt bother me but it was noticeable that they had no time for children (albeit my kids are 12 and 16 and very well behaved) and in particular the spanish and italian pensioners there really looked down at us for having our kids by the pool ( got the impression it may have been booked by them on understanding that there were no kids and they were annoyed to see some ).

Unlike some of the other reviews where they had good service we arrived late at night no porter to take our bags, reception told us we only had 1 and not 2 rooms booked and after much persuading they gave us 2 rooms but they were in seperate building and this was unsatisfactory as we had children. It was sorted out in the morning with no apology and I found the satff quite rude. The rooms are nothing special either and a decent enough size but quite dated and dingy and the bathroom had mould all around the base of the tiles and shower screen. The lobbys etc area ll kept spotless though. The beds in the rooms are torture as the are solid and by the end of the week my wife and I were glad to get out of bed in the morning they were so uncomfy.

I have to disagree with the person who said the food was poor and maybe they have changed this recently as we all felt the food was excellent as did other customers. A great selectiona and in particular a great seafood selection. The waiters at the restaurant were excellent too, very hard working and they run a smooth operation in the restaurant.

The pool are is one of the most dissapointing I have ever had and as the hotel is quite up market the clients hardly use it so when we were there it was v quiet and dead. Just as well as its tiny and so are the surrounding gardens and if we were there in high season I think you would struggle to get a space. There is also no drinks service by the pool or even a nearby cafe/ bar where you can enjoy a drink by the pool. That said the beach is directly accross the quiet road and the hotel does have a good position.

In summary I would say avoid this place if you have kids and we went to the nearby Don Pablo and Pedro as we had friends there and we really wish we booked it as its much better in looks, atmosphere and just looked better all round.

The Melia is at the bottom of Torremolinos but dont be put off as plenty elderly people manage the walk into town at night albeit it is a steep hilland about a mile walk.

A bonus about the hotel is that it is quiet as it is elderly people at it and if you can suffer the beds you will get a good nights quiet sleep. At the time we were there all the bars in the hotel were dead and we went out for drinks at nearby places but the resort was pretty quiet wherever you went.

I know the Spanish can be a bit temperamental but as people who have been going to Spain for years we have noticed a real difference in their attitude towards the British and some were downright abusive and rude that served us. If it wasnt for the cheap flights and distance away we wouldnt be going back to Costa Del Sol area to be honest."

• Travel date: Thu 19th of October 2006

a very pleasant 4 day stay at the melia

Good

"Hi.I stayed at the Melia Costa Del Sol from 15 to 19th of September 2006 for a short break. I had a fair idea of the location so was pretty sure it would be fine. I must say the stay was a very enjoyable experience. I only had bed and breakfast but if the breakfast was anything to go by the food must be pretty good, {first place i ever saw smoked salmon on the menu for breakfast}. If not all certainly the vast majority of the rooms must be sea view, they were spacious, very clean{bed made every day} and on arrival found a lovely basket of fruit with a half bottle of wine and two bottles of water complimentry. the hotel as i said is right on the sea front and a few minutes away from the town center all be it via a steep flight of steps or i believe there was a lift but never looked for it as i enjoyed the exercise of the steps. My luggage was immediately taken to my room upon arrival and the rest of my stay equally as immpressive. I hope this review is helpfull to those considering staying at this hotel. Ps the bathrooms were of a very high standard as well with shower gel shampoo and cologne after shave supplied. Enjoy your stay. Peter N Ireland. september 2006."

• Travel date: Sun 24th of September 2006

Spectacular View!

Good

"Since we booked a Jr Suite on the Royal Floor we had very little to complain about. The suite was gorgeous and comfortable -- we even could pick the size and firmness of our pillows. Only the Royal Service lounge is closed on Saturdays and Sundays -- for that, they should lower the price on those days, but they don't. Our balcony was 42' long, lounge chairs, beautiful view. Had trouble getting my husband to leave the room. Instead of using the lift next to the hotel, we used the one further down the promenade. It cost a wee bit more but was open until 10 p.m. where the one by the hotel closes for lunch and at 6 p.m. Hotel personnel were fairly helpful as we had an emergency at home whilel we were gone, but finding someone that spoke good enough English to understand our problem was a challenge. Can't comment on the hotel food as we didn't eat any of our meals there nor drank in their bar area. Too many other places on the promenade to spend time sitting in the hotel. Word of advice: hotel blocks all 800 number phone calls -- can't even use a calling card. That includes their payphone in the lobby. But on the upside, the cost for a 10 minute call to the U.S. was only .30 Euro so comparatively speaking it was inexpensive to use the hotel phone to call home. Since we left the laptop home, we used the Pay internet offered in the lobby. It was 1 euro for 15 minutes. Not bad at all. We would definitely stay at this hotel again."

• Travel date: Fri 7th of July 2006

AC was turned off in the night by Hotel to save energy

"I woke up at 3 AM sweating profusely called reception and they sent a techinician to check the AC. He told me the hotel turns off the AC every night for a couple of hours so he turned it on for us. In the morning I complained to the front desk and was told they do this as many guests complain it is too cold. So I told them why did we have thermostat! I was insulted and told her that the only possible reason was to save money!"

• Travel date: Wed 28th of June 2006

A Total Resort Experience.

"Staying at this hotel is like staying on a cruise ship. The hotel's social director has events scheduled throughout the day ranging from ping pong lessons to rifle shooting, to ballet dance. At night there is live entertainment in the lounge featuring different types of amusements each night.
The breakfast buffet is all-inclusive and a great way to start your Andalucian experience. The pool area is small but the Meditteranean Sea and it's beaches is only across the street. Every room features a balcony with a view of the Sea. Your only choice upon arrival is whether you want morning sun or afternoon sun.
Go out the front door of the hotel and you are on the main Playa (beach) with its miles of sand, souvenir kiosks, and great little sidewalk restaurants.
The hotel staff is professional, business-like but friendly and helpful. The property is very well-maintained. My only criticism would be the severe lack of parking. If you plan on having a vehicle or even renting one in-house; plan on spending lots of time looking for a place to park it.
I not only would go back again; I definately plan to return to this excellent property!"

• Travel date: Wed 14th of June 2006

Food cold and dull (sorry ) but big and posh clean and tidy

"I have been to Torremolinos on 7 occasions stayed in four hotels and this had the ABSOLUTE WORST FOOD of them all . At Breakfast the eggs were cold with congealed fat on them the variety can be sparse and the restaurant staff MIserable sometimes you had to wait ages for the Coffe to arrive and on occasions even it was LUKEWARM .

On a couple of occasions two of us were violently sick after eating in the "Restaurant" I use the term loosly ...

It really lets the Hotel down as the staff who clean it do a sterling job THE PLACE IS SPOTLESS and shining ,but as for the meals DREADFUL .

You would be better staying on Room Only Basis and eating at one of the Cafes on the Seafront to the left or right as you come out the door .

When I stayed there some American tourists were actually eating their main meal elsewhere outwith the hotel ,What does that tell you (that I aint lying )....

Some of our fellow countrymen also never put in an appearance for the lacklustre and UNDER COOKED selection of food on Offer.

I will be going back to Torre but to this hotel no I think Not SUCH A SHAME I was full of high hopes for it as the hotel is in a great Position and so handy for town supermarkets the beach etc .

Next time Ill go back to my old haunts (BELPLAYA,DON PABLO OR GRIEGO MAR ."

• Travel date: Sun 9th of April 2006

This hotel was brillant, very clean, fri...

"This hotel was brillant, very clean, friendly staff, food was very good and plentiful [breakfast only]. Mainly Spanish and German guest which made it like a holiday aboard, no children which was great [done all that now we want to relax]
The beach was very very clean no full bins of smelly rubbish, the resort is to die for, never thought I would ever go to Mainland Spain but there you are they have really spend money and we will be back next April."

• Travel date: Tue 30th of September 2008

Hotels near Melia Costa del Sol

Stayed at Melia Costa del Sol? Share your insight.

Melia Costa del Sol is also called